Friendship Gentleman

There is one reason why Star Trek is better than Star Wars

24 posts in this topic

uh-huh.......That's usually an arguement someone takes that neve bothers to look at the science in Star Wars. At least Star Wars doesn't take vast amounts of time out of a science fiction program to make wild west and sherlock holmes period pieces.

Oh and as for ridicuolous science.....Q

One is Space Fantasy, the other is Science Fiction.

Two completly different genres as far as I'm concerned.

Star Trek only tries to disguises the magic with technobabble. It's not science when all we know is they "reversed the tachyon flow," or "modulated the space widget to the exact frequency necessary to blow up the Space God of the Week's head."

As far as I'm concerned they're both fantasy. Voltaire, help me out here.

1 person likes this

Star Wars is just as magical and scientific as Star Trek is.

The Force isn't as magical as you say it is. They explained it through Jedi and Sith possessing certain cells in their blood that allow them to perform feats that are referred to as the Force.

Star Trek isn't as scientific as you say it is. How could you explain deities like Q?

But as Kino pointed out, in the event where there is futuristic, advanced, unexplained technology, it might as well be magic to us.

Space Fantasy doesn't exist. But you are right about them being two different genres.

Star Wars is a Space Opera, Star Trek is a Science Fiction.

Edited by Dellobow

Star Wars is just as magical and scientific as Star Trek is.

The Force isn't as magical as you say it is. They explained it through Jedi and Sith possessing certain cells in their blood that allow them to perform feats that are referred to as the Force.

Star Trek isn't as scientific as you say it is. How could you explain deities like Q?

But as Kino pointed out, in the event where there is futuristic, advanced, unexplained technology, it might as well be magic to us.

Space Fantasy doesn't exist. But you are right about them being two different genres.

Star Wars is a Space Opera, Star Trek is a Science Fiction.

Space Fantasy was essentially re-named Space Opera, but honestly they both kinda fit, especially the last few Star Trek movies. Star Trek really started out as a space western.

I think truer science fiction is more like Blade Runner, or The Final Cut, wherin it is fiction based around science, or scientific advances. The real thrust of these movies is the focus on the technology, or science, and it's effects on the world around it. Most of either Star series is about conflict with aliens in space. The science aspect is merely an easy way to make a strange new setting to essentially make a new story from an old plot.

as phoenix wright would say ..........objection starwars is way better than startrek which franchise is still ongoing and saying scinece is better than magic is unheard of a jedi could take out all the star trek characters without help

a jedi could take out all the star trek characters without help

As vague and mindless as arguments like this are...

Jedi essentially hve superpowers, so they could take down most of the main cast. but then there's reality warping entities like Q and the Bajoran gods.

And Odo. With enough mastery of shapeshifting he or any changeling could probably take a Jedi.

Here's how the scenario would go : Worf would try to fight Yoda and get his ass handed to him. Then Data and Wesley would figure out how to reverse the polarity of the Force using the warp core and a positron flux generator.

The power of making shit up is vastly greater than that of the Force.

A large portion of the stuff on both shows is at this point a bunch of hibajibby jabbawacky nonsense...

inertia dampeners? I'm sorry but if you're traveling at light speed you gonna need some seriously powerful dampeners if you're gonna stop inertia at that speed

Light sabers? please tell me how a crystal and some fancy wiring is gonna make some sort of physical light that can slice through anything like butter?

Q.... since when do omnipotent beings even associate themselves with lesser beings?

None of it makes any sense unless you research the F*** out of how theoretically it's supposed to work. and even then we don't have the technology to even come close to making any of it.

But anyway, onto the point Star wars = Star trek. they've both had their good and bad sides (i.E enterprise for Star trek and Phantom menence for Star wars)

A large portion of the stuff on both shows is at this point a bunch of hibajibby jabbawacky nonsense...

inertia dampeners? I'm sorry but if you're traveling at light speed you gonna need some seriously powerful dampeners if you're gonna stop inertia at that speed

Light sabers? please tell me how a crystal and some fancy wiring is gonna make some sort of physical light that can slice through anything like butter?

Q.... since when do omnipotent beings even associate themselves with lesser beings?

None of it makes any sense unless you research the F*** out of how theoretically it's supposed to work. and even then we don't have the technology to even come close to making any of it.

But anyway, onto the point Star wars = Star trek. they've both had their good and bad sides (i.E enterprise for Star trek and Phantom menence for Star wars)

I don't know how to put this, but...

The other day, I had one of my friends over to help me out with moving all the crap in my parent's house. We had some incoherent rambling sessions, and one of these was how Star Trek was "WAY better" than Star Wars. The whole thing was delivered in a bantering, joking sort of way, and long story short, I thought his obviously biased opinion was somewhat clever. I put it up here almost without thinking about it, forgetting that sarcastic remarks never travel that well through the Internet. I'm really, really, really sorry if I have caused any conflict. You sort of hit the nail on the head with that post.

Clarke's third law comes to mind. It specifically states that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Star Trek is pretty much the ultimate example of this.

And likewise, magic is often referred to as simply unexplianed or as-of-yet not understood science.

Both of these right here. Truer words were never said.

I agree. Watching both, I have noticed Star Wars generally leans to "magic" (unatural/ supernatural powers) and Star Trek leans towards pseudo-science.