Kuni

Artist art!

404 posts in this topic

Just want to put a quick reminder up.

This thread is now for Non-Pony arts. The Pony arts have a sister thread here.

If you're looking for Pony arts that you put here, they have been moved to there.

Now here's some Rarity Emotes: :saywhat::twitch::rariglare::numbaone:

okay, here's a crappy vector i drew yesterday then:

sadalien.png

and transparent butterfly:

bluterfly1.png

Took like 5 mins lol

Silly image compression.

Edited by friagram
1 person likes this

So I attempted to draw Adam Jensen, and I think I did ok. The one shoulder needs a better outline, but the rest is ok (for me lol). The biggest thing I learned when doing this was that I own next to no coloring utensils.

1 person likes this

@ PK

I think you did an excellent job. You attemted to draw Adam Jensen, and by golly, it without a doubt looks like Adam Jensen. Badass.

And hey, I don't really have any coloring utensils myself. :P

@Friagam

That butterfly is really pretty <3

@ PK

I never asked f- *shot*

All seriousness, good job on Jenson. :D

Thanks guys! I have to draw something for school every week now, so hopefully I can make some more cool stuff and improve a little. I should take this time to figure out how to draw a proper pony :)

Thanks to the both of you! It's a little overwhelming for me to take in at the moment, but I shall figure this out! I've been trying to self teach myself for awhile, and I actually made 2 drawings that I'm pretty happy with. I'm gonna make a vector for one of them soon, I'll be sure to share it :)

Drawing i'm working on, totally suck with hands and mouths, gonna have to fix them, but shouldn't be too hard since i have like 20 layers and can just use the warp tool =T

Haven't done much on wacom so i'm a bit slow. Also haven't done the feet and stuff yet =S

wt6.jpg

Edited by friagram

Worked on this some more, feet and hand took awhile, still need to do other hand, but that's for later. Was workin gon the staff but blending that shit is a nightmare with my layer setup. Need to make it look less cartoony later after I get it setup and clean up the layer transparency. Also gonna have to disconnect the cape from his head and fix the smile and all that type crap, and draw the cape, etc.

wt8sm.png

I've been moving into digital painting lately. I haven't much to show for it, but here was my last school assignment.

billy_by_lastrevolution-d4mye3i.jpg

I've been moving into digital painting lately. I haven't much to show for it, but here was my last school assignment.

billy_by_lastrevolution-d4mye3i.jpg

Picture above is my first attempt at anythign large with raster raster/tablet as well, but airbrush is pretty easy, i just use a lot of layers and once I'm happy with whatever I've got I merge them down, and always keep the light/shading layer seperate so I can erase/airbrush over it again to change the light effects.

Your picture is cool, but the black trace lines are kind of bold, my art teacher long ago (i'm not an artist or anything, just a hobbiest now) used to say never to use black, just swatch/use nearby colors. So it might look better if you use the blur tool on those edges, and then go over them with airbrush with a color closer to whatever is near it - like for green, go with a dark green/muddy brown, or the pink, do a deep purple. Once you are done with that, instead of using brushes to hit highlights, just use the dodge/burn brush for the highlight areas, and after that, hit it with streak highlights, it will look more shiny and 3d/organic.

I edited it quickly around the head (head?) to show you what i mean, I prefer to use the airbrush tool because it gives you the greatest control over edges and blending. And it also looks realistic. If you wish to create harder edges, just change the intensity and edge hardness of the brush, hope you don't mind =S

I didn't have your layers and it's a jpeg so the quality is iffy, and i did it in a few minutes.

airbrush.png

Edited by friagram

My teacher for the class actually encourages keeping the original pencil sketch in the painting itself, which is what I did. I didn't use anything to trace.

I sketch in the paint program on a seperate layer, or you could scan.

Then go over it/do fills with solid brush/pencil so you don't get any bleeding edges/transparency on a new layer

Then start using paint brush/air brush to clean up edges, and then use whatever you want once you have the edges defined, that way you won't see sketch lines.

For this drawing, I wasn't sure what I was gonna do so I just posed a biped and sketched over it quick to get a generic pose, and kept it as a layer in my document for reference.

The advantage to this is you get more accurate anatomy and lighting (you can move the light) and also add props, or whatever). I used an IK spline model, which has disproportionate hands, but that's ok I can just scale/redraw them later, which I still need to do with one of the hands, but that's no big deal, it's on a different layer anyway.

image.png

Biped/mannikin

image.png

If you want to cheat you can sketch over the borders, or just do whatever now... and start shading, but you know proportions will not be quite right.

image.png

Tried to draw in the background today and clean up some of the layers, but they are such a mess, there's like outlines everywhere. Gonna have to start merging layers soon :(

wt9sm.png

Haven't worked on this much, only an evening or 2, still have much to do =(

Edited by friagram
1 person likes this

@friagram

What I do when I work on paintings such as these, is I'll first sketch it out with paper and pencil, then scan the image in and set the image layer to Multiply in photoshop, and then paint in layers underneath the sketch layer. It's efficient and I like sketch lines.

not bad but if you used 2 models it would look a lot smoother and more detailed (to generate the normalmap)

also, you can use phong materials (i've never used them) but they use them in tf2 to get cool lighting effects

Edited by friagram

My latest piece:

(never mind the hands. Model is badly cleaned shite)

feelings____by_koach2-d4pzaum.png

During the Saratoga campaign, the British soldiers were obliterated. Their officers dead, their morale broken and discipline disregarded. Sometimes, soldiers needed time to think, to let the wind take away their misery, guilt and hatred.

Redcoats...

They had feelings....

They had emotions...

They were not tyrants...

They were people.

Edited by Koach BG2-Dev

these are actually rather old but I figure they're worth posting. For the hells of it. I could probably do better now if I still had my tablet. (I have reasons for not using pencil all that much, believe it or not. :P)

deadscape_by_bl1ghtmare-d4aryxe.jpg

forest_grove_by_bl1ghtmare-d4arzcl.jpg

Edited by Blightmare
1 person likes this

@Blightmare

I used to sketch stuff like this all the time, a long time ago. I need to start learning how to use tablet better though, just got it, been playing with different programs and stuff, mostly messing with figures though.

I sketched/painted this the other day all on the tablet, didn't take long so I think i'm starting to get a little better, but I didn't really know how to use the brush system in photoshop so it turned out a little crappy. Mostly just used 1 brush. I'll fugure out that stuff later though.. Also probably should have spend more than 5 minutes drawing the background but you know, kind of want to move on to other stuff and dev more skills =S

angelsmall.png

1 person likes this

theres some good artists i see im hoping t upload some of my own work here its nots as good as urs tho

Keep at it and you'll get better. :P It's also good practice to just doodle during freetime or long periods of waiting if you don't actually have an idea for something large. And by that I mean if it comes to mind, draw it. Don't worry about making it look superb or anything, just take whatever wacky, crazy, or weird idea's that happen to float through your head and put it on paper. This will keep you from getting rusty and over time you'll notice that your doodles will become more detailed from the constant practice.

And I'd also like to see what your work here. :P