Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KnightStriker

How do you get started on tf2

14 posts in this topic

Well like the title says I am a newbie to tf2 and I was thinking I should start playing the game more often to see how it is and all I only play it couple of time but in practice mode cause I am just just trying to get the hang of the control's and I was wondering what is the best server to go to on here and how do you connect to it and again sorry for the newbie questions.

Cause if I start liking the game maybe later on I should start buying different guns and accessories for the characters also whats a good class to start off with right away so then I can move on along with another different type of class once I am use to the game play and all and the environment.

Don't buy guns. Just don't. You can get most of them as random drops for just playing the game. It'll take you a couple months to get all the weapons just from random drops and less if you trade your duplicates for weapons you don't already have.

If you go to the main page of this website ( forum.ponyville.net ) and look ALLLLL the way at the bottom you will see the ip information for the Ponyville servers. Copy whatever ip you want, go to "Browse Servers", click the "Favorites" tab, and then click "Add a Server." Paste the ip address in, and hit either "Add this to favorites" or "Find games at this address." Then you can play on a Ponyville server. San Jose is more casual, Dallas is a little more serious, and I think New Jersey has mostly silly maps.

One thing to keep in mind if you join is that when you first start out you are going to get MURDERED. The average Ponyville player is better than the average pub server player, and the GOOD Ponyville players are really, really good. You shouldn't let that discourage you, though, because the best way to learn in TF2 is to get stomped on. Not even joking.

Another thing you can do, though, when you're very first starting out, is to just click "Start Playing" at the top of the main menu, and just dive into one of the game types, or use the Random option if you just want to do whatever.

1 person likes this

Well what you wanna do once you get started is to find out what classes you enjoy playing and wich ones you are good at. Heavy is a pretty easy class to start with though, just remember to watch your back and look out for Snipers, as he is relatively simple to play and have alot of health and a powerfull weapon, but you might find that you will enjoy other classes just as much (if not more) and perhaps even be better at them depending on your playstyle.

Also there is some basic tactics you should remember when playing that could help you out, so I will list some things right of the top of my head that might help:

General: Teamwork is very important. Be sure to play the role your class is set to do, alert teammates of Spies and inncomming dangers (aswell as helping them as much as possible of course), switch classes if needed to win once you have gotten the hang on a bunch of different classes and ALWAYS watch your back. Spies, Scouts and Pyros are everywhere and they love your back.

Scout: Stay in movement as much as possible, and try to sneak up on enemies as much as possible before loading some close range shotgun ammo into their back or side. Remember to stay agressive as Scout and always go for the cap when the coast is clear (and if it's not, help out as good as you can by ambushing attackers and such), but also be carefull as your low health makes you easy prey if you don't manage to outmanuver your enemies.

Soldier: Shoot rockets towards enemies legs, as they explode when they hit the ground and damage enemies all around. Rocket jump to get to high places faster or to help a Medic healing you to get faster ubercharge sometimes, just don't overdo it or you will kill yourself. Soldier can be both offensive and defencive, so decide what is most important for the moment. Use your shotgun/melee at closer encounters if you are affraid of hurting yourself by rocket splash damage. Also be sure to NEVER take up The Equalizer if you have it in your loadout while being healed by a Medic as it will make you unhealable while holding it.

Pyro: Shot a little fire on everyone you see, they might just be a Spy in disguise. Do as the Scout and try to ambush your enemies, but seeing how the Pyro can't run very fast or double jump, waiting at chokepoint corners and such can be a good idea aswell. Remember to use airblast (mouse 2) to reflect enemy projecttiles or to extinguish burning teammates. Pyros are mostly a offensive ambushing class, but can also be used to defend Engineer nests from Spies by spamming flames to reveal hidden Spies, aswell as using the unlockable melee weapon The Homewrecker to remove sappers.

Demoman: With the items you start with as Demoman, your job is to create traps and explosive havoc to attackers, and you are a highly defensive class. Plant sticky bombs close to doorways, controll points, briefcases and bomb carts and detonate them when enemies are close. Remember that you can activate your bombs at any time no matter where you are or what weapon you are holding, so feel free to hide around or do some minor attacking as long as you don't get yourself killed, as this will remove your bombs. Your grenade launcher is also usefull for taking out enemy sentries, as they can bounce of walls, making it possible to attack sentries without being in their aim/line of sight.

Heavy: Defend keypoints or attack keypoints with the Heavy. Be sure to not stand entierly still, as staying even slightly in movement makes hitting you harder (and be sure to turn around so you don't get backstabbed). Medics are often happy to heal Heavies, and if they do be sure to not go all Rambo into the enemies main defences before your Medic have a Ubercharge ready to help you through. If you get the Sandvich, be sure to give it to your Medic by pressing mouse 2 if he is hurt or on fire, or eat it yourself if soloing without a Medic and you are hurt.

Engineer: The most defensive class in the game. Early on you will want to find a good place to create a nest, and always start by putting down a dispencer, then proceed to build a Sentry and then start upgrading your dispencer and afterwards the sentry by hitting them with your wrench (seems to be the fastest and best method for me atleast, but I am not "pro" on Engineer). Pick up ammo backs and weapons on the ground if available to speed up the process. If a Spy sap your buildings (and they will), be sure to kill them as quickly as possible and to remove the sapper by hitting it with your wrench. Remember that when removing it, your back is exposed, so if you have the time try to take the Spy first, if not you might want to take a risk to save your Sentry. If your base is running well and is safe at the moment, be sure to create a teleporter from spawn to a more action packed point on the map to help out your teammates.

Medic: Heal people with your Medigun. Try to stay in range and keep some sort of communication between your main target, but be sure to heal any nearby teammates who need help aswell. Being on fire and having a Medic refuse to heal you is annoying as buck. Be sure to stay in safety as much as possible and check your back for Spies a good bunch. The Medic's melee weapons are pretty good, and usefull to kill nearby knife weilding Spies with. When you have a Ubercharge charged up from healing enough, be sure to use it at a apropriate time, either when attacking a Engineer nest or if your target and/or yourself is about to die. Practice timing it well so you don't waste it by using it to early or losing it by dying.

Sniper: Stay in the back and pick off key targets. Charge up your shots and aim carefully, and always aim for the head if using a normal sniper rifle. Heavies are generaly easy targets for you, so be sure to take them out, aswell as campers like Engineers and other Snipers. Spies love to kill Snipers so stay with your back towards a safe place and don't look in the same direction at all times. Use your SMG/melee in close encounters, and run like hell if you see a Pyro comming towards you and you won't be able to snipe him.

Spy: Probably one of the more complicated classes to master (also they suck when you have a high ping), but if you do they can be the most dangerous class of them all. Your job is to sneak into enemy teritorry, picking off key targets and destroying sentries with your sappers to make it easier for your teammates to sucsesfully attack. Be sure to wear a disguise at all times and switch disguises often, stay away from Pyros at all costs (they are your mortal enemy), use your invisibility watch to get into places undetected, always try to outsmart your enemies and take out all sentries you see. When you take out sentries, there are many different strategies involved: one is to first backstab the Enginer and then run around in circles around the sentry while sapping it, another is to first sap the building and then try to trick the Engineer into leaving is safe room and backstab him once he is occupied with removing the sapper or panicing. All in all what works best depends on who your opponent is and how he/she thinks.

Hopefully this will help you out. Cheers!

Edited by Nightmare Lyre
4 people like this

Lyre pretty effectively sums up how to play TF2.

There's more. Yeesh, this game can get pretty crazy when you start thinking about the nuts-and-bolts of gameplay. But those are the basics anyway.

I think Nightmare has done a great job explaining how the classes work, so I would highly recommend taking everything he has said into consideration.

As a new player the classes you should be looking to use would be Scout, Pyro, Heavy and Medic since they are very friendly classes to play if you are just starting. Medic is probably the best the start off with, but be sure to pick up the techniques of being a good healer quickly otherwise your team will be pretty pissed. As a Medic you MUST heal your team and avoid attacking enemies except as a last resort. Do not go Spy until you have got a feel for the game. Spy is a deadly class if the right player is using it, but it is very difficult to use and even harder to master.

I'd agree that medic is the best learner class. it gives you an excuse to just follow other people around and learn the maps. Knowing the maps is a big advantage in TF2. It will also let you watch more experienced players and pick up on how they play. Just some advice, though, don't stop moving and constantly check behind you. Medic is the primary target for a spy or sniper, so you've got to be ready for them.

My advice:

Play the tutorial first.

Don't bother with playing against bots, look up some Valve TF servers with stock maps and play those.

Remember to be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to what the good players are doing learn by example.

Personally I woiuld say to play whatever class you want, but it's probably best to avoid easy classes like heavy and medic, pyro or difficult classes like sniper, spy, and scout. I don't mean to imply that there are easy classes and hard classes, but at a lower level of play it's easy to see that there is a discrepency between classes when it comes to very basic playstyles.

I'd recommend going soldier or demo. Just great classes, and there are varying playstyles for all different levels of play. Not to mention these are classes that are never "useless" so to speak because they adapt to all situations well/

My advice:

Play the tutorial first.

Don't bother with playing against bots, look up some Valve TF servers with stock maps and play those.

Remember to be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to what the good players are doing learn by example.

Personally I woiuld say to play whatever class you want, but it's probably best to avoid easy classes like heavy and medic, pyro or difficult classes like sniper, spy, and scout. I don't mean to imply that there are easy classes and hard classes, but at a lower level of play it's easy to see that there is a discrepency between classes when it comes to very basic playstyles.

I'd recommend going soldier or demo. Just great classes, and there are varying playstyles for all different levels of play. Not to mention these are classes that are never "useless" so to speak because they adapt to all situations well/

Except, you know.. dying.

Well like the title says I am a newbie to tf2 and I was thinking I should start playing the game more often to see how it is and all I only play it couple of time but in practice mode cause I am just just trying to get the hang of the control's and I was wondering what is the best server to go to on here and how do you connect to it and again sorry for the newbie questions.

Cause if I start liking the game maybe later on I should start buying different guns and accessories for the characters also whats a good class to start off with right away so then I can move on along with another different type of class once I am use to the game play and all and the environment.

We have a custom menu to let you connect to the servers easier found in this topic, http://forum.ponyvil...-server-button/

Instructions are there as well. I would recommend San Jose to start with.

-cheers-

Edited by Trixie™

The only class that adapts well to dying is the dead ringer spy, because instead of dying they at best get to just run away to heal up and fight again without respawning and at worst they at least waste a bunch of the other team's time while they fire 10 damage rockets at them.

The idea of the DR is to fool people into think you're dead.

Unfortunatley, most idiot spies use it as 6 seconds god mode because they can't sneak for shit.

1 person likes this

Well what you wanna do once you get started is to find out what classes you enjoy playing and wich ones you are good at. Heavy is a pretty easy class to start with though, just remember to watch your back and look out for Snipers, as he is relatively simple to play and have alot of health and a powerfull weapon, but you might find that you will enjoy other classes just as much (if not more) and perhaps even be better at them depending on your playstyle.

Also there is some basic tactics you should remember when playing that could help you out, so I will list some things right of the top of my head that might help:

General: Teamwork is very important. Be sure to play the role your class is set to do, alert teammates of Spies and inncomming dangers (aswell as helping them as much as possible of course), switch classes if needed to win once you have gotten the hang on a bunch of different classes and ALWAYS watch your back. Spies, Scouts and Pyros are everywhere and they love your back.

Scout: Stay in movement as much as possible, and try to sneak up on enemies as much as possible before loading some close range shotgun ammo into their back or side. Remember to stay agressive as Scout and always go for the cap when the coast is clear (and if it's not, help out as good as you can by ambushing attackers and such), but also be carefull as your low health makes you easy prey if you don't manage to outmanuver your enemies.

Soldier: Shoot rockets towards enemies legs, as they explode when they hit the ground and damage enemies all around. Rocket jump to get to high places faster or to help a Medic healing you to get faster ubercharge sometimes, just don't overdo it or you will kill yourself. Soldier can be both offensive and defencive, so decide what is most important for the moment. Use your shotgun/melee at closer encounters if you are affraid of hurting yourself by rocket splash damage. Also be sure to NEVER take up The Equalizer if you have it in your loadout while being healed by a Medic as it will make you unhealable while holding it.

Pyro: Shot a little fire on everyone you see, they might just be a Spy in disguise. Do as the Scout and try to ambush your enemies, but seeing how the Pyro can't run very fast or double jump, waiting at chokepoint corners and such can be a good idea aswell. Remember to use airblast (mouse 2) to reflect enemy projecttiles or to extinguish burning teammates. Pyros are mostly a offensive ambushing class, but can also be used to defend Engineer nests from Spies by spamming flames to reveal hidden Spies, aswell as using the unlockable melee weapon The Homewrecker to remove sappers.

Demoman: With the items you start with as Demoman, your job is to create traps and explosive havoc to attackers, and you are a highly defensive class. Plant sticky bombs close to doorways, controll points, briefcases and bomb carts and detonate them when enemies are close. Remember that you can activate your bombs at any time no matter where you are or what weapon you are holding, so feel free to hide around or do some minor attacking as long as you don't get yourself killed, as this will remove your bombs. Your grenade launcher is also usefull for taking out enemy sentries, as they can bounce of walls, making it possible to attack sentries without being in their aim/line of sight.

Heavy: Defend keypoints or attack keypoints with the Heavy. Be sure to not stand entierly still, as staying even slightly in movement makes hitting you harder (and be sure to turn around so you don't get backstabbed). Medics are often happy to heal Heavies, and if they do be sure to not go all Rambo into the enemies main defences before your Medic have a Ubercharge ready to help you through. If you get the Sandvich, be sure to give it to your Medic by pressing mouse 2 if he is hurt or on fire, or eat it yourself if soloing without a Medic and you are hurt.

Engineer: The most defensive class in the game. Early on you will want to find a good place to create a nest, and always start by putting down a dispencer, then proceed to build a Sentry and then start upgrading your dispencer and afterwards the sentry by hitting them with your wrench (seems to be the fastest and best method for me atleast, but I am not "pro" on Engineer). Pick up ammo backs and weapons on the ground if available to speed up the process. If a Spy sap your buildings (and they will), be sure to kill them as quickly as possible and to remove the sapper by hitting it with your wrench. Remember that when removing it, your back is exposed, so if you have the time try to take the Spy first, if not you might want to take a risk to save your Sentry. If your base is running well and is safe at the moment, be sure to create a teleporter from spawn to a more action packed point on the map to help out your teammates.

Medic: Heal people with your Medigun. Try to stay in range and keep some sort of communication between your main target, but be sure to heal any nearby teammates who need help aswell. Being on fire and having a Medic refuse to heal you is annoying as buck. Be sure to stay in safety as much as possible and check your back for Spies a good bunch. The Medic's melee weapons are pretty good, and usefull to kill nearby knife weilding Spies with. When you have a Ubercharge charged up from healing enough, be sure to use it at a apropriate time, either when attacking a Engineer nest or if your target and/or yourself is about to die. Practice timing it well so you don't waste it by using it to early or losing it by dying.

Sniper: Stay in the back and pick off key targets. Charge up your shots and aim carefully, and always aim for the head if using a normal sniper rifle. Heavies are generaly easy targets for you, so be sure to take them out, aswell as campers like Engineers and other Snipers. Spies love to kill Snipers so stay with your back towards a safe place and don't look in the same direction at all times. Use your SMG/melee in close encounters, and run like hell if you see a Pyro comming towards you and you won't be able to snipe him.

Spy: Probably one of the more complicated classes to master (also they suck when you have a high ping), but if you do they can be the most dangerous class of them all. Your job is to sneak into enemy teritorry, picking off key targets and destroying sentries with your sappers to make it easier for your teammates to sucsesfully attack. Be sure to wear a disguise at all times and switch disguises often, stay away from Pyros at all costs (they are your mortal enemy), use your invisibility watch to get into places undetected, always try to outsmart your enemies and take out all sentries you see. When you take out sentries, there are many different strategies involved: one is to first backstab the Enginer and then run around in circles around the sentry while sapping it, another is to first sap the building and then try to trick the Engineer into leaving is safe room and backstab him once he is occupied with removing the sapper or panicing. All in all what works best depends on who your opponent is and how he/she thinks.

Hopefully this will help you out. Cheers!

ty for linking this to me im finding it extremely useful

It's the same as any FPS.

The most important thing you can do is use both the movement keys + mouse to aim if you suck using mouse+keyboard to play.

Try the soldier to start out with, it's easy. Just use rocket launcher and for short/med range use shotgun if you run out of ammo or get rushed by scouts (rocket jumping to kill people form above is great so do it a lot when you are surrounded)

Until you understand the mechanics, there is no real point in playing most other classes. Soldier is the best well rounded/Offensive class anyways.

Most stock weapons are the best, aside from a select few (ubersaw-medic, gloves of running urgently-heavy, dead ringer-spy, enforcer/ambassador-spy)

There are some modded servers out there that will even give you all the achievement weapons if you want....... They are called modme.info achivement servers, you can just join and type !giveme weapons and it unlocks them for you, but honestly it's not hard to earn them the honest way.