Calzone

Artists,

22 posts in this topic

a question to every artist. Whether it's graffiti, painting, watercolor, sculpting, drawing, CAD, ceramics, abstract, hell even people who make those cool rainbow candles that smell different as they burn down~

Why exactly do we create?

Do we create for profit? for fun? to vent our inner selves? to contribute to culture as it exists in society?

I've been thinking, and asked a couple artists and I get a different answer from everyone.

To draw, or more-of create has always been in my eyes a very selfless act.

You slave essentially hours into a piece, but you can never truly appreciate it's beauty; in fact, anybody BUT you can enjoy it, since you have spent hours looking over it, and as a result grow tired of looking at the piece.

I know many an artist look over their pieces and truly love what they have created though.

So I ask every artist on Ponyville, no matter how abstract:

what drives you to create?

3 people like this

I make a mod. I make textures for the mod and 47th Foot. Pain in the ass, boring and waste of time, but WILL be useful for the future.

I also have nothing better to do. :emoredcoat: Heh...

I ever so much enjoy expressing my ideas. When I finally get something out and it turns out well, It feels awesome.

..And yeah. It's fun. :3

1 person likes this

Art is first and foremost, subjective. It's something different to everypony, and everypony has their own drives and motives.

In my case, I'm fall into the category of traditionalist. Much like the Renaissance painters, I'm preoccupied with drawing what I think is beautiful. I'm a perfectionist, and I yearn to recreate beauty perfectly. Such a goal is inherently impossible--and yet I pursue it. Why?

Because I have to. Words can't explain how I feel sometimes, so I feel like pictures are the only way to do express myself. I guess I've drawn as a type of escapism in past as well. I also just want to tell stories; stories about people and emotions. Perhaps to try and make sense of my own erratic emotions.

So I guess, I draw to express my emotions, but I continue to draw because I strive to always be better at what I do.

Also, it's a helluva lot of fun when the lines fit on the paper just right; It's like an artistic euphoria. I love it.

4 people like this

13058_-_meme_that_is_my_fetish_Trixie_vectorized.png?m=1308560361

Also, it's a helluva lot of fun when the lines fit on the paper just right; It's like an artistic euphoria. I love it.

1 person likes this

I am driven by my very impulsive imagination and the will to make that idea a reality.

As most may know, I don't make very pretty art. It's always very awkward, abstract, and just plain random. But seeing it transfer from my head to the paper amazes me. However, sometimes I don't like what I have started, and tear it up when I do complete it. A weird thing for me to do but I've done it many times.

Generally I don't draw to try and get complements or to try and be better than the next guy. Simply because I like pouring my head onto a piece of paper and knowing that I created that.

Edit: The post sounds redundant.

3 people like this

...does my voice work count?

I mean, in the end, all I'm doing is reading someone else's art out loud, in an attempt to get people to hear me and say "Hey, that Mr. Kenyon guy's got a good voice for (Insert wonderful voice acting project here)! I should hire him right now!" But it's mostly an effort of love. I spend hours on end with this, recording, deleting, re-recording, fiddling with the sound settings, getting this damn file just right so that you guys can hear some guy reading a story about candy-colored equines. Does that count as Art?

4 people like this

@ Kenyon

I'd consider it art . You're putting effort into a different kind of media all together. Art doesnt have to be bound to drawing y'know. :D

1 person likes this

...does my voice work count?

I mean, in the end, all I'm doing is reading someone else's art out loud, in an attempt to get people to hear me and say "Hey, that Mr. Kenyon guy's got a good voice for (Insert wonderful voice acting project here)! I should hire him right now!" But it's mostly an effort of love. I spend hours on end with this, recording, deleting, re-recording, fiddling with the sound settings, getting this damn file just right so that you guys can hear some guy reading a story about candy-colored equines. Does that count as Art?

It's art to me even if you think otherwise!

Yes, every time you speak, you are spouting art

Art defines culture to share with the world. Sometimes it brings out our emotions that we want to feel. Maybe creating art can be used to show off your talent, to motivate your self-expression, or to use your wildest imaginations to create one piece of neatly beautiful work, but most of all, being artistic and using your creativity is a one-way voyage to success, whether an amateur waiting to sell your art, or a professional in a huge business.

It doesn't matter if you aren't good or "basically learning", everything is considered a masterpiece. Even your voice, and anything else, whether it's writing or cooking! And in time, you will lose your stress and anxiety, and you will learn many things you don't know about yourself, and I'm glad that I'm a part of them.

Edited by Zelc
4 people like this

Well, I'm still dealing with the idea of being an artist, I was raised to believe I was more crafts than art...

But I do it mostly for fun. I do it as much now for the response I get from youall.

I also do it to get character ideas of mine down.

And I do it because I like toys. My impetus to start the MOTU line came from this line in my head "Screw you, overpriced MOTU Collectors figures! I can make my own!!!" The MOTU line really springboarded me into the pom artist I am today. I learned a lot of ne techniques during that bit.

Also, I hope to raise awareness of Poms as a somewhat serious art form. Acrylic Craft Poms have been around years (decades?) yet I seem to be the only one making anything other than cutesy animals, clowns, and such. I've scoured the internet searching for kindred crafters, and only ever found this one.

The key to the poms being more than tedious cutesy stuff, I think, is the fact that they can be trimmed, at least to an extent. I am drawn to the pom art for the poseability of the fininshed figures, their general non-fragile nature, and everything gets a slight cute and fuzzy twist to it. And subject that are already cute can be portrayed amazingly accurately. It's also a rather instant from of sculpture. Nothing has to dry or harden. The glue cools in seconds.

I'm begining to wander, though. I hope someday, that poms will spark a new trend n crafting, and we will see many more pom artists, likely even better than me. That resurgance will mean a better pallatte of poms at the store, which will lead to even more and greater projects.

1 person likes this

bored out of my head and chose it as an option to art in school to improve and hopefully make a career out of it someday

I draw as an escape to a reality outside of my own, one where I can be who I feel like I am inside. I always see a show or a picture and I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live in this world. My art is a way to escape into these worlds, I fantasize about what life would be like in a Steampunk universe, or a Soul Eater universe (Soul Eater is an Anime that I watch), and even, yes, the My Little Pony universe. I draw and create these characters that I see are extensions of my internal success, struggles, and desires; my OC Sound Wave is one of these characters.

Sound Wave is how I see myself if I were to be a pony, and my drawings are how I see myself in their respective worlds.

I am Sound Wave, I am also a Steampunk and a Scythe-man..um..guy (I call him Shadow). They are my escape to another world.

(BTW, if you haven't seen my drawings, check them out on my profile)

Edited by Sound Wave

I suppose this is where I get pretentious and say "I'm a designer, not an artist" but to be honest there's no difference. I may just be a student right now but I'm comfortable enough with my work now to say that I can make visually appealing pieces. While my motive for making art and design is profit, I find what I do to be my own attempts at prolonging a vital trade. Sure, it's through new mediums as opposed to the designers and artists I attempt to emulate, but the heart, the soul, and the time never really change from method to method.

I find it amazing that even then, there are so many unique ideas as-to what art is.

You all have unique viewpoints on the subject more diverse than the fruits and flowers in africa.

In my eyes, this roots from the various mediums that we all manipulate to create art.

I'm glad this thread got a bump~

Every minute of everyday my mind is making up its own little worlds. Ever since I was a kid, I was blessed with an imagination bigger than the universe. I'm constantly creating tiny little alternate universes in my head, creating worlds the likes of which no one has ever seen.

My drawing started with me drawing little maps on notebook paper in Kindergarden. In my head, I would see tropical islands made of diamond, or mountains made of flowing water, even grand kingdoms that streched on for miles. Sadly, what I managed to transcribe onto my paper didn't quite do my visions justice. However, that didn't stop me from trying, improving and experimenting.

When I draw, I do not see it art. I see it as a gateway between worlds. A place were mind meets matter. A place where I can give the amazing ideas that have so long been trapped inside of my head a chance to become real.

While many people see it as "just a drawing", I see something more. I believe when artists work, we don't just draw or write. We create. We create what others think is impossible. We create perfect worlds; flat, untouchable eutopias that seem so distant, yet we can feel the very outlines of their exsistance.

However, these creations are mear shadows of the true beauty that lies within all of our minds. But that won't stop us from trying to perfectly capture what our minds have so masterfully crafted.

To me, that is what art is. Our attempts to create pathways from the perfect paradices etched into the infinte canvases of our minds, into the tangable world of our own.

(I've never really gone that deep before... Wow... I feel as light as a feather right now... I must create!)

Because I'm super-lonely and can only validate my existence through people commenting on my YouTube videos.

I also love those nights when I spend all night doing something FUN, and being able to relax knowing that I didn't waste my time on pointless things that won't further myself. I then laugh at the forum threads where game players desperately try to prove a point that just PLAYING a game in a certain way expresses yourself in such a way that it's art.

So yeah, there's a bit of Superiority Complex in there.

My thoughts and emotions. I usually think of something, then challenge my self to create it, I love to see my thoughts literally transferred from my head to paper. A lot of times it's with my emotions as well. Depending on the way I feel, the piece could change and shift into that direction.