Rainy

NEED AN ARTIST'S HELP! Prizes Offered!

38 posts in this topic

Hey everypony!

Now that I am a Partner on Twitch.tv, I want to petition to have a custom smiley on the site. It will be the very first pony smiley!

The catch is that it cannot belong to a property copyrighted by somebody else or related to an existing meme.

Obviously, this eliminates MLP from the equation. However, I have my own idea for a custom unicorn character to get around it.

The problem is that I am NOT an artist! I suck at art! I was hoping to get an artist on here to help me turn my concept art into a reality.

Another huge obstacle to be considered when designing the artwork is that it MUST retain enough detail to be distinguishable once shrunk down to 30x30 pixels.

I know that this will be very challenging for any artist to accomplish, so I will be awarding the winning artist with their choice of any Valve game (such as Portal 2, Left4Dead 2, TF2, etc.) and a copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you have anything else in mind within the same range, I am willing to negotiate that as well with the winning artist.

As an additional bonus, you (or a friend of your choice) can also receive a month of reserved slot time on all servers!

Here are examples of the pony I had in mind. Keep in mind that I SUCK AT ART, so these are just concept ideas. As the artist, you have the freedom to choose whether or not to change the expression, look, even colors to be more suitable. As long as it looks nerdy and cute and pony once shrunk down to 30x30 pixels, I'm good.

twitch-01.giftwitch-02.gif

I should mention that the expression/attitude of the smiley needs to stand out. Kind of like how Kappa is used for sarcasm on Twitch, I want to have the smiley be something that people will want to use in different situations.

EDIT: Ack sorry! I forgot to list the image requirements. Here is a link to the rules/conditions on Twitch.

File requirements! -IMPORTANT!-

Transparent PNG image file. If it's a photo, it must have proper aliasing with no hard edges. Strict 30 pixel height max. This is small, so a lot of smaller features in photos will be hard to pull off. Excessively wide emotes (chainsword..) will be rejected. No animated gifs (yet)

http://support.twitc...e-for-twitch-tv

If possible I'd like a larger version of the image for my own use, but this isn't a requirement if you prefer working within the 30x30 pixel range in creating the image.

CONTEST ENDS IN TWO WEEKS, BUT DEPENDING ON FEEDBACK AND NUMBER OF APPLICANTS, MAY BE EXTENDED.

This contest is a commission. The winner is signing over all rights/ownership of the final image to me/Twitch.

Wait wait hold on.. So this be a contest now?

...avatar_b276acd0e33c_128.png GET PSYCHED. LET'S DO THIS! ..*aherm* I wouldn't mind at all trying to give it a crack.

*edit*

Any kind of format needed/preferred? Sprite or just a small drawing to fit?

Edited by Kuni

Ack sorry! I forgot to list the image requirements. Here is a link to the rules/conditions on Twitch.

File requirements! -IMPORTANT!-

Transparent PNG image file. If it's a photo, it must have proper aliasing with no hard edges. Strict 30 pixel height max. This is small, so a lot of smaller features in photos will be hard to pull off. Excessively wide emotes (chainsword..) will be rejected. No animated gifs (yet)

http://support.twitc...e-for-twitch-tv

Here's a vector of your thingy i made quick, and um some smaller/sharpened antialiased samples.

Probably not much point in detail since it will be reduced. How close do you want it to your drawing anyway?

10array.png

4 pixels is a bit too small for teeth, and i suck at pixel editing :(

1array.png

Alright! I spent about 10 minutes drawing this up by hand! (First mistake) I thought I would just give it a try so I scanned it up, colored it some and downsized! (Second mistake)

Well... this is my first attempt. sketch_by_cheezeman4-d4qrpnd.jpg

I was kinda going for a more goofy look, but you cant really tell much of anything from that.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to small, but I'm gonna try again tommarow. I just need to find a way to draw it big enough to have some details after I downsize it.

Edited by Johnny Hoof

I'm pretty sure she needs a bigger picture submitted that has been tested to look good at 30x30, she has to submit the higher resolution version.

rainicornnnnn2.pngDocsfox: Raini is so picky.

Haha at first glance it looks like the eyes/glasses are actually one eye with the black being the pupil. It looks like a derped out pony. XD I like the effect of it!

A month? I shall partake.

The deadline is two weeks (starting today).

Here's a vector of your thingy i made quick, and um some smaller/sharpened antialiased samples.

Probably not much point in detail since it will be reduced. How close do you want it to your drawing anyway?

10array.png

4 pixels is a bit too small for teeth, and i suck at pixel editing :(

1array.png

These are awesome! Unfortunately I do not think that I can submit a shrunk down 30x30 image. I have to submit a high resolution one which, when resized, looks good in 30x30.

I am going to ask Sonos or Horror if it is possible to submit both versions (that way the optimized 30x30 is used).

I do not require you to keep the details exact. For example you can try doing a pony with a different expression and no glasses. Whatever looks best once shrunk down to 30x30.

Even the colors can be changed. For example, Docs changed the colors around on his, and I think they looks really good!

I care more about submitting something with an expression/emotion that will make people want to use it, than sticking with the exact details or colors used in my example.

I think that the glasses might need to be left out of the final version because they confuse the image too much once resized. =(

Maybe if the mouth was agape, like laughing, teeth would stand out more? I don't know.

I think that all of these are really impressive though and I appreciate all of the attempts that you made! They're really well done.

It's no big deal to make a high resolution one, I thought you wanted 30x30. I didn't spend long making the reductions, just ran some sharpen filters in photoshop to see what would come out, most are kind of unacceptable.

Cropping the image by 10-15% will probably give it the width definition it needs, and you'd only lose a little bit of height from the ears/neck, which isn't a big deal anyways.

How closely did you want it to follow your drawing? Because the MLP art style is large hair that usually covers the far ear and part of the far eye in profile, and the nose is pushed way in, ears also shorter.

I do not want this to follow the MLP style. It actually needs to not look MLP-related because two of the rules for getting an emoticon approved are "no memes" and "nothing copyrighted/owned by somebody else". I'm worried that making this looking MLP-ish would disqualify it.

The pictures I showed earlier were only examples. You're free to change anything you want with the picture to make it comprehensible once shrunk down and stand out. This includes the expression, colors, etc. as those were only template concepts I came up with to give an idea of what I wanted. Docs for example changed the colors from green/yellow to pink and blue, which is fine because it looked good in his version. Basically you have total freedom in coming up with something, as long as it looks nerdy. =B

Also the height is a strict 30 pixels, but from what I'm told there is a little bit of leeway when it comes to the width.

I would like to give it a try, but don't smileys have more than one expression? This makes for effective posting. so maybe we should come up with a few basic expressions, like happy, laughing, sad, and anger. Does anyone agree?

I would like to give it a try, but don't smileys have more than one expression? This makes for effective posting. so maybe we should come up with a few basic expressions, like happy, laughing, sad, and anger. Does anyone agree?

This is true and you guys can play around with the expression. I'd like for the final version to either have noticeable nerd glasses or nerd teeth (one or the other, if not both).

The code I'm going to suggest when I submit this is "Nerdorable", so I want the emote to kind of match the word.

You could square the lines out more then, similar to weebl's horse:

Or a simplesilhouette may look nice if that's ok

Haha I love this! Mine would have to look noticeably different from Weebl's Horse though because that is already copyrighted by Weebl. The concept works though.

Went for something more horse-like, but it turned out like an androgynous superhero. Lol.

horse2_02.pnghorse2_01.png

So why not add a blindfold =X

horse1_02.pnghorse1_01.png

I've been looking at some of the smileys on Twitch and Destructoid as well as a few others have widths of 39 or 45 pixels.

I think it is possible to get away with about 10 pixels more width so long as the height is kept at 30 pixels.

If I rotate friagram's larger image by 20 or 30 degrees, it looks a lot better once resized to a 30 pixel height if it is cropped. I think it would be possible to fit a more noticeable horn in that way.

I really like the colors that Docs chose for his (blue with pink). If glasses are added they can be really noticeable with black.

I made this just now to show degrees change. Once resized to 30 height it still manages to retain some of the details.

If I could get someone to come up with something like this vectorized that still retains detail it would be good.

I think that friagram's earlier in the thread were the closest to what I am trying to achieve with it.

twitch-bleh.giftwitch-bleh-small.gif

The colors need to be played around with a lot to make it stand out though (these were just random).

I don't really care about the colors used as long as it stands out and doesn't look like an existing copyrighted character.

I made this just now to show degrees change. Once resized to 30 height it still manages to retain some of the details.

If I could get someone to come up with something like this vectorized that still retains detail it would be good.

I think that friagram's earlier in the thread were the closest to what I am trying to achieve with it.

twitch-bleh.giftwitch-bleh-small.gif

The colors need to be played around with a lot to make it stand out though (these were just random).

I don't really care about the colors used as long as it stands out and doesn't look like an existing copyrighted character.

Here is a vector of your image. Those colors are not really high contrast at low resolution (they bleed together)

Using illustrator's harmony rules, I can show you what color complements would give you. This is probably the highest contrast you can get.. The colors are quite stark. Here's the SVG if you want to play around with the curves and do whatever, I don't mind. My time is plenty occupied with TF2 and Dev stuffs.

Never used this image hosting service, dunno if it allows direct links.

dzFI3.jpg

YqNPm.png

It looks a little better when not resized by export. ANyways, brighter colors on the mouth are probably good idea. Also the hair you would probably want worked on to be wavy or something because it adds to the profile, and the jaw needs to be added in or something, dunno.

yeah imgur recompressess the PNG, anyways the smiles need to be made with a brighter color//jaw extended, i'll look at it later.

Editable SVG (Includes the source image/reference files on hidden layers.. I used some fall leaves to swatch some colors):

http://www.mediafire...d5f1pats6wuifoz

Edited by friagram