Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rainbro Dash

Ages of the main cast

54 posts in this topic

Time for another pony discussion!

At this point, all we know is that Fluttershy is one year older than Pinkie Pie. I've got a theory on all the characters ages and I'd like to see if people have a different take on it. So here goes:

I get the impression that Pinkie and Rainbow are the most immature; They have a child-like love of pranks. Rainbow sometimes comes across like a hyper-active and somewhat belligerent kid. Not to mention idolizing heroes (The Wonderbolts) is arguably a child-like trait. Pinkie works at Sugarcube corner as an apprentice baker or something which gives the impression that she fairly young.

However, Rainbow and Fluttershy seem to have known each other since they were kids--I get the impression they were in the same grade of flight-school and therefore the same age.

From there, Twilight is apprenticed to Celestia but seems pretty independent in spite of it. While socially naive, she overall competently manages her own affairs and is something of a big sister to Spike.

I think Applejack is probably about the same age as Twilight. She and her older brother seem to be only ones who manage their farm and I get the impression she does at least half the work.

Rarity definitely comes across as the oldest. She owns her own business for crying out loud. She also just has a mature sophisticated manner and speech not seen in the other ponies.

There's the relative ages. Now I'm gonna take a bit of a guess at their exact ages (give or take a year):

Rarity: 21

Twilight: 18

Applejack: 18

Rainbow: 16

Fluttershy: 16

Pinkie Pie: 15

And while I'm at it, Spike: 14

Someone could make the argument that Twilight just acts mature for her age and is in fact a lot younger or things like that, but without concrete information this is my best guess.

Anyone else have a different take?

UPDATE: Merged Pencil Doodle's new thread with this one.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

This is all assuming that human ages apply in Equestria. Like reality unless noted, I guess.

I actually kind of viewed them all as being in the range of 19-20. I would have pegged them all as the same age except for Fluttershy's comment. Spike I actually have a hard time rationalizing because of how functional he is and how old Twilight would have been when he hatched. I'm operating on the idea that dragons' growth patterns are significantly different from humans' ponies, and that he's around 7 or 8 but dragons gain intelligence at a much faster rate when younger.

I put them all in the 18-21 range. But I haven't thought about it much beyond that. I can see Rainbow Dash being younger; but, I think Fluttershy is one of the older ones. So...yeah. Spike is younger than 14, like RDPV said. Also, we all know Pinkie is at least as old as Equestria.

I don't know if that's their exact ages, but it's their human equivalent at least.

Spike is supposed to be a "baby" Dragon, so if we're going by "human" ages then he's more likely to be 10-years-old at the oldest. :pixel-spike:

I'm of the same mind as Kino, though. I don't think that human ages apply in Equestria. Even if an Equestrian year literally equated to an Earth year, who's to say that pony years/lives aren't measured differently? They're not humans, after all. I wouldn't be surprised if Spike, as a "baby" dragon, was actually 50-years-old and Twilight Sparkle was 100, for example.

The first episode was very literal about Luna being banished to the moon for 1000 years. Even for being Celestia's "little sister" she's looking really young for being 1000 in "human" terms. If we're going to try and compare pony ages to anything, then it should be the ponies who's ages we actually know; and Luna at least appears to be in the same age range as the Mane Six.

Relatively speaking I think that the Mane Six are supposed to be in their teens -- however many years that may represent for ponies.

This is all assuming that human ages apply in Equestria. Like reality unless noted, I guess.

Oops, I mentioned as much in my original post, but I must have accidentally deleted it when editing.

But uh ya, It's probably impossible to say for sure. It's a pretty whimsical show, and I don't think it was written with an exact time-lime. I'm just basically saying that these characters have personalities that give they're the impression they're a certain age, Spike included. For example, I don't think most boys get crushes at 10 years old; They're still in that "girls have cooties" age, so that's why I say Spike comes across like a young teenager, even though he can't possibly be in actual years.

As for Celestia and Luna, they're semi-divine beings, ages don't apply to them. :pixel-nightmare::pixel-celestia: (BTW, I still want a Luna emote.)

But ya, Luna gives the impression of being in the same age range as the Mane 6, while Celestia seems much older.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

Well, I think Spike is more of an intelligent dragon, even though "baby" dragons get their intelligence faster than any specie on Equestria. So in other words I guess he's sort of spoiled.

As Kino mentioned above, yeah if Human ages and growth patterns apply I sorta agree with your assessment Rainbro.

Speaking of ages and stuff, what was Prince..whats his face..BlueBlood I think? Wasn't he Celestia's Nephew or something? What kind of family tree would apply to him? He could be part sorta..Divinity but he's no Alicorn. So far it seems that only Alicorns and Dragons have extremly long life spans in equestria. *Well, putting it into human years that is like it's been mentioned above* He comes off like a snobby early 20 year old so It sorta helps Rarity's case that she's the oldest of the bunch.

Ya that has always boggled me, but he is said to be Celestia's nephew. I'm hesitant to think that he's Luna's descendent since she comes across like a teenager. Oh yeah, not to mention the fact that she's been banished for the last 1000 years.

I dunno, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but logic seems to suggest that Celestia has other family somewhere, possibly not of the same demi-god status as Celestia and Luna? Again this show is pretty whimsical, maybe we're not supposed to think about it to much, but my tendency is to analyze everything.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

i have that same tendency rainbro. i honestly didn't think that they were that old considering the fact that, A. if human ages were to be any standard, i always had the idea that, even though rarity is the oldest, that they were about in there early teens, possibly even pre-teens. like someone else said, dragons gain intelligence faster at young ages. so i would assume that spike is mabye 2-3 years old. the one problem with this is, the fact that we don't have faust here to confirm anything for us. once we have that oppurtunity, we're not getting any answers. now i'm probably going way off track because my little bro is playing halo reach in the same room and i cant resist watching. oh well... back to rocket to insanity!

Well if we use the lifespan of a normal horse theyre only about 5 in human years. Lauren described them on her deviant art one time as horses with human brains ranging in maturity from 12-18. so i guess the question is what are we trying assume? The age of thier mind or thier body? O_o

I think they're all 15 - 16 (with the exception of spike of course) but that in the world of Equestria, responsibility is given out at a far younger age than in the human world.

I think, for the sake of argument, we can assume that ponies in Equestria live as long as humans do. I mean look at Granny Smith.

A recent chat has brought up a question to me, a question which seems to have bugged a lot of bronies in the past, and that is; Exactly how old are the mane 6?

Now, I've had my theories behind this for quite some time. Assuming that Equestria is anything like the real world you'd have to be 18 to legally own your own home (where I live at least), each member of the mane 6 owns there own place so 18 is the minimum. When it comes to maturity RD and Pinkie would be the lowest, so for now lets say there 18, flutter is a year older than Pinkie so for now she's 19, despite being one of the eldest. Applejack would have to be the most responsible (imo) and a tad stronger (in my experience strength grows with age [keep it clean]) so lets say she's 20-21, next being rarity, who is also responsible, lets say she's around the same age as Applejack. That leaves Twilight somewhere in the middle, lets say she's 19-20.

so far we have:

- Rainbow Dash & Pinkie Pie at 18

- Fluttershy & Twilight Sparkle at 19

- Applejack & Rarity at 20-21

But of course the age in years and the age in nature are two different things. In this world horses/ponies live till around 30, which means 3 pony years equals about 10 human years. And if my calculations are correct, that would mean:

- RD & PP at 6

- FS & TS at 6.5 (ish)

- AJ & R at 7.3 (ish)

But that's highly un-likely. Then there's the theory that Equestrian ponies could potentially live till 300-400, considering that Granny Apple Smith was born before Ponyville was founded. that would mean 10 human years equals 3 pony year. And if there ageing is really that slow, that'd mean;

- RD & PP at 54

- FS & TS at 57

- AJ & R at 60-63

But if they don't age that slow then chances are its still just the first theory at natural human age.

What do you think, and if i missed any super scientific show details, please fill me in

not sure on the ages but

Rarity is the oldest: she owns the Boutique, and works there and is the most sophisticated

Then Applejack: she works on a farm and owns part of it with her family

Next is Fluttershy: lives on her own in the woods, cares for creatures, and is a year older then Pinkie

Next comes Pinkie Pie: pays rent to the cake family, works part time at the bakery

Rainbow Dash is next: droped out of flight school (collage/Highschool)

TS: stilll in Highschool/collage

ps sorry for the spelling

1 person likes this

There was a thread for this, but it's kinda old and I can't locate it...

If you compare ages to responsibilities and maturity level...

Rarity would probly be at least 22-23. She runs her own fashion Boutique.

Applejack is likely early twenties. She has many responsibilities on the farm, and seems to handle many of the day-to-day decisions.

Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle are probly both at least 19-20. Animal care is a big resposibility, and Twilight is basically in post-grad, while managing a library.

Pinkie is probly 17-19. She acts a little less mature, and while she holds down a job, she often has at least some difficulty in maintaining her responsibilities, i.e. babysitting.

Rainbow Dash is probly youngest, about 16-17. She doesnt seem to have many responsibilities, other than the usual weather/seasonal bits, which appear to fall on everypony during those times. Her laziness, prankish nature, and stubborn pride also showcase her comparative lack of maturity.

Spike would likely be about 8-10 physically, but dragons appear to mature at a different rate, aven amongst themselves, let alone compared to ponies, so mentally, I'd put him at about 14-15. If his accelerated rate of mental/emotional maturation continues, expect him to 'catch up' to the ponies in about 2-3 years. So by season 4, he'll be old enough to date Rarity ;)

Also...

Cherrilee- 35 or so

Macintosh- 30ish

CMC- 9-10

Granny Smith- old.

Mr. and Mrs. cake- late 30's

The princesses are at least thousands of years old, but I would guess they mature mentally quite a bit slower because of their longevity.

Celestia is likely in her late 40's-early 50's emotionally

Luna seems more in her early 20's. He lunar banishment may be the cause of this much younger outlook.

There was a thread for this, but it's kinda old and I can't locate it...

Ages of the main (sic) cast. One of the earliest topics in the pony board.

Anyway I would say:

Rarity - 21

Fluttershy - 20

Applejack - 20

Twilight - 19

Pinkie Pie - 19

Rainbow Dash - 17

I think that all of the ponies are around the 15-23 age bracket. They are clearly not as old as some ponies (Big Mac and Cheerilee for example) but aren't as young as fillies (CMC, etc...) so I think it would suit them fine. I think that Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are the youngest since they are the most immature, as someone pointed out earlier in the topic, and do stuff generally associated with younger people (ponies) such as playing pranks and parties. Twilight is totally a ponified version of a university student, so 19 suits perfectly. Applejack has to take care of a farm so she will probably be older then the ones I have just mentioned, plus she is probably the most mature one out of the lot. Rarity and Fluttershy are the two other mature ones and also do more "grown-up" stuff such as the spa and plus they both have responsibilities (Sweetie Belle and animals respectively) that require them to be mature.

EDIT: and I forgot that Fluttershy was just a year older than Pinkie

Edited by Whatever You Want

What I heard is that all 6 of them are at least over 16 but not over 21. rarity is said to be the oldest and pinkie pie the youngest. Fluttershy is 1 year older than Pinkie.

Yup, I started this thread ages ago.

So, I merged this topic with the old one. I'll go ahead and repost my original argument:

Time for another pony discussion!

At this point, all we know is that Fluttershy is one year older than Pinkie Pie. I've got a theory on all the characters ages and I'd like to see if people have a different take on it. So here goes:

I get the impression that Pinkie and Rainbow are the most immature; They have a child-like love of pranks. Rainbow sometimes comes across like a hyper-active and somewhat belligerent kid. Not to mention idolizing heroes (The Wonderbolts) is arguably a child-like trait. Pinkie works at Sugarcube corner as an apprentice baker or something which gives the impression that she fairly young.

However, Rainbow and Fluttershy seem to have known each other since they were kids--I get the impression they were in the same grade of flight-school and therefore the same age.

From there, Twilight is apprenticed to Celestia but seems pretty independent in spite of it. While socially naive, she overall competently manages her own affairs and is something of a big sister to Spike.

I think Applejack is probably about the same age as Twilight. She and her older brother seem to be only ones who manage their farm and I get the impression she does at least half the work.

Rarity definitely comes across as the oldest. She owns her own business for crying out loud. She also just has a mature sophisticated manner and speech not seen in the other ponies.

There's the relative ages. Now I'm gonna take a bit of a guess at their exact ages (give or take a year):

Rarity: 21

Twilight: 18

Applejack: 18

Rainbow: 16

Fluttershy: 16

Pinkie Pie: 15

And while I'm at it, Spike: 14

Someone could make the argument that Twilight just acts mature for her age and is in fact a lot younger or things like that, but without concrete information this is my best guess.

Anyone else have a different take?

Go-Go Gadget Necropost!

I found this video. Relevant, but I don't exactly agree with everything in it. Still interesting though.