Rainy

Server Issues and Suggestions

764 posts in this topic

Hello everypony!

I want to do my very best to make our servers a fun and unique place for fans of the show MLP: FiM, especially now that Team Fortress 2 has gone free to play. However, I can't do this without your help! I need to know what maps you would like to see installed, what mods interest you, and most importantly, what you think of the current environment on the servers.

Issues with plugins, slots, or other things "breaking" should also be brought up here!

I will give every suggestion my consideration. =) Here's what I am looking for in particular:

Custom Maps
Right now our rotation is pretty bland, so I'd like to hear some suggestions for custom maps that you would like to see installed on the server. Round and time settings for these or existing maps are welcome too!

Custom Mods
Want to see Goomba Stomp or other mods on the server? Link me to the mod on Allied Modders and I will consider adding it!

Rules and Environment
I am always open to feedback and suggestions relating to the rules that we currently have on the server.

Thank you for your time!

After looking through my maps folder, I'll throw out some custom maps I think are worthy of the server.

pl_cashworks_rc2

cp_labor

cp_daylight

cp_toy_fort_elite

king_of_the_train_final

koth_garbage_day

pl_donkeykong_final

pl_waste_v2

koth_moonshine_rc

Some of these are a little gimmicky like pl_donkey_kong, but they are also pretty fun every once in a while. Some of these maps might not be the latest versions, I haven't played TF2 in a while to keep up with all the updates.

koth_garbage_day crashed FadedOasis' server when he added it. So heads up about that.

And donkeykong is a horrible map. >.>

Hey Rainicorn, I am posting about the TF2 server music plugin.

One thread from 2008 mentions a server plugin that is supposed to work under TF2:

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=512035

The most recent version I could find is from 2009, at counterstrike planet:

http://www.cstrike-planet.com/files/87-SourceMod-Radio

Since people in the thread said it worked under TF2, I would expect it to work in today's TF2. If it doesn't end up working, send me a message and I'll look for other alternatives.

So far, it looks like it requires source mod. to quote somebody who got it to work under TF2:

"Well that was a tuffy to figure out.

I run my server behind Windows7 but I finally got RADIO to work in TF2.

I had to go to Source Tunes and download the player plugin.

Installed Radio plugin as per instructions, found that the new player needs the webshortcuts plugin, so I found that and installed it as well

After loading the plugins, I found that !radio was working to the point of bringing the station lists up in the MOTD screen, but the player would not engage. I reloaded the Flash player for Windows IE, still nothing.

I found another link that lead me to installing the adobe flashplayer "for Other Browsers"

Once I installed this, EVERYTHING worked!!

Hope this helps SOMEONE!!

Pte Jack"

If that doesn't work or isn't desirable, you can browse through the thread that i linked, im positive somebody got it to work.

Idk really know any names of the maps but just some fun maps like minecraft themed ones or that kinda stuff

Hi, I've had this bookmarked on my Firefox menu since it originally came out, and since I'm now here it might be able to provide a lot of voice clips to use in-game:

http://kyrospawn.deviantart.com/art/MLP-FIM-soundboard-V4-3-213310684

My personal favorite is Sweetie Belle's "You can not run from me!", which considering how looney TF2 is I think it would fit perfectly into the game. If you can't get the files from the soundboard itself, maybe talking to *kyrospawn could yield something since his notes at the bottom indicate he clipped most of the soundbites himself.

Hi, I've had this bookmarked on my Firefox menu since it originally came out, and since I'm now here it might be able to provide a lot of voice clips to use in-game:

http://kyrospawn.deviantart.com/art/MLP-FIM-soundboard-V4-3-213310684

My personal favorite is Sweetie Belle's "You can not run from me!", which considering how looney TF2 is I think it would fit perfectly into the game. If you can't get the files from the soundboard itself, maybe talking to *kyrospawn could yield something since his notes at the bottom indicate he clipped most of the soundbites himself.

I extracted all the sounds from that soundboard into .wavs in this thread :)

Scribbled this up in a .txt while bored and ill:

~Control-Point:

- cp_wildmire - Haven't played this one, but the screenshots make the map look well done. High rating as well (10, based off 2 votes).

- cp_biodome_b1 - Interesting level design- very well made -high rating. Only played it a couple times, however, and with a pretty small team at that.

- artpass_ym - I'm a little bit worried about this one, as the interior looks a little cramped judging by the screenshots; it might be a little too easy for the close-range dominating classes to camp. Looks great otherwise.

- cp_antiquity - Here's one I /have/ played and am actually pretty fond of. Lots of vertical space for soldiers and demomen, well-balanced, nooks here and there for spies and engineers, and gorgeous level design (the brushwork in this one's superb).

- "False Legacy" - Reminiscent of the other Egypt-type maps we have. Never played it, but high reviews.

- cp_millstone_b6 - Limited experience with this one, but pretty good memories. Originally played it in b2 way back.

Gimmick:

- rats_tequila_b01 ~Rat style map. Looks better than toyfort. V: Just as an aside, I remember there being a more recent version of toyfort /somewhere/, one that added a lot more vertical space. http://www.mediafire.com/?2y4ijmnmdhm This is probably it.

Not that these are all of the good-looking control maps (there's cp_drag, cp_woodstock, etc.), but.

~King of the Hill

- koth_sprawl ~This map also comes in arena, but who wants that. I'm most fond of the atmosphere-- there's painstakingly few urban TF2 maps.

- koth_drywall_final ~Familiar with this map. Large for koth-type maps, really drab palette, but good otherwise.

- koth_vesuvius ~There's an interesting mechanic in this one: "As one team's timer counts down, the other team gets better access to the point." Which uh, means it starts out a little linear, but that's a pretty minor issue.

- koth_dropdown_rc1 ~Haven't played this one, high reviews, etc. Looks okay.

Gimmick:

- koth_megaman6_b3a ~Played this one just recently. It's actually a lot of fun, but I think it requires a three round cycle to play each stage (whereas the server's, you know, two rounds).

There's not really that much in the way of KOTH maps. On fpsbanana, at least, it looks like predominantly orange maps or crapmaps.

~Payload

- pl_yamashiro_b3 ~This one just looks fantastic. There's also a medieval version: http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/156857

- pl_metropolis_b2 ~Reminds me vaguely of Deus Ex and Mass Effect, so it's gotta be good.

- "Promotion" ~One of the few highly-rated payload maps, oddly.

- pl_bounce_beta_10 ~Same as above, it's rough finding payload maps with a good rating. This is an updated version (b10) from the one with a good rating (b2).

- pl_cranetop_b8 ~There's even fewer payload maps than there are koth maps, really. I'm just mentioning this one 'cause I've played it and it was okay.

~Miscellaneous

- dm_ponyville_b3 ~Updated version of dm_ponyville.-cp_junction_final.bsp

Confession: I haven't played nor tested more than a couple of these maps, at least not in the past year or two. I've basically just picked from the "cream" of the FPSbanana crop-- the top rated, the most viewed/downloaded, et cetera.

I'd suggest hosting a testing server with a bunch of regulars (I'll do it, if enough people want to participate). Giving each map a thorough review, voting on whether or not to add it to the server. Anyway, pick/choose, hope these look interesting.

Personally I use these 2 plugins on my server:

TF2 Medipacks - http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=570672

TF2 Ammopacks - http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=571104

For medicpacks, when a medic dies they drop a medpack depending on how much ubercharge they have and can drop a medpack whenever they like.

For ammopacks, replace medpack with ammopack, medic with engineer, and ubercharge with metal.

Also increasing the volume of the sound mod sounds would be cool also, and you have to add "YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE ME!" I mean how could that not be there?

Edited by Alex Meanberg

I posted all the songs (That I played) on the TF2 forums somewhere, I am going on a vacation so I won't be active for 2 weeks on the servers!

Hi! I've noticed that there is no plr_hightower in the map rotation. I really enjoy playing at this map, so if there is a chance you can include it there, I would appreciate that! =)

Cp_collis an extremely balanced 5cp push map very fun

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=14245

cp_petrol a beta attack defend map with trains pretty fun

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=16034

oh and a ping kick of about 150 or so laggy players arent fun

regarding replays they lag the server alot the best way to reduce this is to have a seperate Fast DL server to handle downloads i can get you the files you need to set this up if you can actually get the other server

I demand CTF maps.

This is a pretty terrible idea.

I love CTF matches as much as the next pony, but most of them tend to be turtlefests, sniper battles, and especially confusing for newer players. I know 2fort is iconic, but if I had to pick one ctf map it's turbine. Good mix of big, medium, and small areas where every class can do well in. Seems most CTF games I play, nobody works together ergo getting no captures which makes CTF into a messy team deathmatch. But you and quite a few others aren't derpy (hah) and stupid and actually play the game well, so I hope I'm wrong.

Hello everypony! It makes me so happy to check back on this thread today and see so many suggestions for how we can make the mapcycle more exciting. =) I just want to let you know that I am in the process of adding our second server as we speak, along with a very special map and way for selecting new maps, and that I will be taking this thread and all of your suggestions to heart with how I design it. So, if you have anymore suggestions to add, now is the time to vocalize them! Thanks again for taking the time to register here and provide me with all of your wonderful suggestions.

I demand CTF maps.

This is a pretty terrible idea.

I love CTF matches as much as the next pony, but most of them tend to be turtlefests, sniper battles, and especially confusing for newer players. I know 2fort is iconic, but if I had to pick one ctf map it's turbine. Good mix of big, medium, and small areas where every class can do well in. Seems most CTF games I play, nobody works together ergo getting no captures which makes CTF into a messy team deathmatch. But you and quite a few others aren't derpy (hah) and stupid and actually play the game well, so I hope I'm wrong.

Pretty much a neat opinion.

uhh, hi. i was thinking, if it were posible, to add a couple of prophunt and saxton hale maps? those are 2 of my fav game modes. altho, i'm not really sure where you could find the required files to run them.

Saxton Hale is to my knowledge its own gameplay mode, so we would need a server dedicated to it to run it. I think that Prophunt may work in a similar way and that we would need an admin to manually change the server back and forth between the different mods. This was the state of thing when I first looked into the mods months and months ago. I'm not sure if the situation has changed since then.

The new AFK mod seems pretty aggressive. I'm all for stopping AFK'ing but even when you just start the round it gives you about 15 seconds to get your butt out of there. Just kinda sucks when your fiddlin' with your backpack or adjusting some options or some such and your on such a short timer.

Could that be increased at all? Not like 5 minutes or anything, but maybe add an additional 15 seconds or so.

I had no idea that the AFK manager was set to kick people so quickly! I will definitely work on increasing the number today. Please forgive me as this plugin was just installed recently, so neither myself or the other admins really had time to tweak it (in fact, we literally just got it working and let it do its thing). XD

EDIT: Okay, I just boosted it from 120 seconds to 320 seconds.

I saw you were asking about the sound issue, maybe just make a toggle <sound name> command to just turn off sounds people dont like on a player by player basis.

Edit: About the team Scrambles bothering with a plugin to fix this seems unnessary considering the server plays one map for 2 rounds so the majority of maps go by pretty fast to the point that teams will be scrambled on map change, however if you do plan to extend the map playtime the the scramble plugins will be extra important

Edited by Brisk