Rainy

Server Issues and Suggestions

764 posts in this topic

Is there any way you could put a cap on number of heavies per team?

Right now, with him being as broken as he is, it's extremely unfun to be pushing a cart on offense only to run into a wall of four heavies that never stop firing at any time. Similarly, being on defense where the offensive team consists of four heavies that are always shooting.

The only way to break a heavy spam is to start spamming other things, and then it's not fun AND encouraging bad playing.

I've received a number of requests along this same vein relating to every other class in the game. One of our former admins doesn't play on here anymore because I refused to impose a class limit on Engineers for example. I've been playing TF2 since the beta days and I can tell you that there are always ways to confront the lots of X class problem. If there are lots of Heavies, then get a Medic to Kritzkreig a Demoman to take them out. If there are lots of Engineers, then get some Ubercharges going to take them out, or have a few spies coordinate with each other to take out buildings. If I was to single out any one class and impose limitations, then it would just be another class that replaced it on people's hate list, until eventually there wouldn't be enough classes to compensate players.

Is there any way you could put a cap on number of heavies per team?

Right now, with him being as broken as he is, it's extremely unfun to be pushing a cart on offense only to run into a wall of four heavies that never stop firing at any time. Similarly, being on defense where the offensive team consists of four heavies that are always shooting.

The only way to break a heavy spam is to start spamming other things, and then it's not fun AND encouraging bad playing.

Having a lot of heavies can be annoying, but easily countered.

1) Change to sniper

2) equip huntsman

3) WRECK SHOP

The only ever class balance I ever see is when there's like 5 spies(Which seems to happen alot!) and it's not so much its over powered, but that the team with 5 spies is gonna suffer horribly XD

I don't know if its just me but, the servers are appear to be running a older version of TF2 and knowing how it works it won't let me join.

Just remembered a really cool map I don't think is currently on the server at the moment called "Convoy". It seems that the server doesn't do Capture the Flag maps but there's a Control Point Variant of it. I haven't actually played on the Capture point variant of it yet but it seems pretty fun though!

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/67419

Edited by Kuni

Just remembered a really cool map I don't think is currently on the server at the moment called "Convoy". It seems that the server doesn't do Capture the Flag maps but there's a Control Point Variant of it. I haven't actually played on the Capture point variant of it yet but it seems pretty fun though!

http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/67419

I remember this map. However, I played a different version of it; I played the 'Assault' variant of it. That map is actually a remake from a map from Unreal Tournament 2004.

There's also three other UT map remakes for TF2 (That I know of), one of them being a CTF icon called Face (Or Facing Worlds. And the map plays Forgone Destruction for the background music :D), one of UT's most classic maps, another CTF map based off of Lava Giant called Sky Giant, layout looks the same, and the last being a deathmatch map called Gael.

Facing Worlds: http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/153286

Sky Giant: http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/158073

Gael: http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/61380

Just thought I'd throw those out there since Convoy is a remake.

Oh I know this map! I wouldn't mind adding it to the server. It is a pretty fun and enjoyable map. =B

If you would put it in that'd be sooo awesome! IWUBWOOOOO.gif?t=1313866603

@Kruger

I think those maps would be pretty cool too! If they were to be put in.. Ponyville would have a.. *sunglasses* an UNREAL update..YEEEAAAAH!

..I regret nothing.

1 person likes this

~Reposting from earlier, right before the forum went offline~

lol. You just made my day.

Ponyville is the only server I play on, but add those maps into the mapcycle, and I will never play on any other server, aside from mine, but that's only for testing purposes.

I'm not sure if there's a votescramble on the San Jose server, but it could probably use one. I've tried a few times to scramble teams that were blatantly uneven, but either I could never guess the command or it isn't there.

I'd also like to see CTF_Turbine. It's a really simple map in terms of layout, and it gives us a CTF option to play. Hopefully there will be some above average players (like me) or some really good players like some other people I've seen frequenting the server, who understand how CTF works and can instruct newer players accordingly, or at least lead by example. Turbine is also harder to turtle in than most CTF maps because the sentry positions are usually fairly vulnerably from multiple angles.

As for class limitations, any team that is spamming a class should be extra-vulnerable to the weaknesses of that class. I know everyone loves demoknights, but a single decent demo with sticky bombs can wipe a map of 5 or 6 sentry guns in 10 seconds flat. I've seen it many times. Heavy spam? Dmeo spam rocks their world also. A few snipers and a few demos simply spamming grenades at them will stomp the heavies back.

In general, teams that have an imbalance in classes are weaker, and if you're getting run over it's because you're just not playing as well, or don't know the appropriate counters. Some maps are worse for some classes than others, but in general spamming a single class or even 4 heavy/medic pairs is a bad plan.

The reason there is no votescramble on San Jose is that I don't know how to get gscramble to ignore Ponyvote_Party. That is a map where we do not want teams to be forced to be balanced. There is also a problem with the default Valve scramble. As soon as a vote goes through, it immediately restarts the round and scrambles the teams. People were using it to grief on Dallas before I got gscramble installed there.

If I could find a way to prevent the Valve scramble from immediately scrambling teams and restarting a round, or find a way to get gscramble to ignore an individual map (Ponyvote_Party), then I can get scrambling on San Jose. Until then you'll just have to put up with it.

Yes, please add CTF_Turbine to the cycle! Thats my favorite CTF map, as others have a greater tendency to turn into turtle fests. Running around in the vents up top as scout is awesome.

I think that during humiliation team kill should be turned on. It does that on a few of the other servers I go on and it's hilarious to see a team killing enemies then suddenly trying to dodge a friendly Soldier or Heavy trying to dish out some team killing.

As long as I'm still immune to damage, I don't mind, but I really like having my immunity during the humiliation round.

Also, aho_balls or whatever it's called is not a map I enjoy playing in the least. If a number of other people enjoy it, then I'll just live with it, but I've never heard anything positive said about it so I feel like it should be pulled from the server.

I think that during humiliation team kill should be turned on. It does that on a few of the other servers I go on and it's hilarious to see a team killing enemies then suddenly trying to dodge a friendly Soldier or Heavy trying to dish out some team killing.

I don't see this happening, it conflicts with the invincibility donator perk.

Technically I might be able to do it if the immunity level of the admin flag for donators is set high enough so that they do not take damage. However, it is another plugin that I'm using for End Round Immunity and I do not know if a mod allowing Friendly Fire would conflict with that or not.

Can we remove Ahoballs from the California server? Everytime people vote it in, half the people leave and half of the remaining players sit in spawn and sell weapons...it could be easily replaced with ctf_haarp(http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=7358)(it's not really a ctf map, BLU carries the intel to capture points), cp_blackmesa(http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/94083), or even arena_lumberyard or something would be better.

Can we remove Ahoballs from the California server? Everytime people vote it in, half the people leave and half of the remaining players sit in spawn and sell weapons...it could be easily replaced with ctf_haarp(http://forums.tf2map...read.php?t=7358)(it's not really a ctf map, BLU carries the intel to capture points), cp_blackmesa(http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/94083), or even arena_lumberyard or something would be better.

I agree, this map seems kind of lame... Most people either leave when it comes up, or sit in the spawn as Hooker said...

Clearly we just need to have 24/7 King of the Train.

Map of the century, right guys?

Edited by Morokite

I sit in the spawn and eat sandvich when King of the Train or ahoballs comes on. I can only stand one not good custom map and that is minepit.