Cinnamon Groove

Why they Hate : a Hypothesis

11 posts in this topic

First off, I'm not a proffessional anything. I never hated during my turn to Bronyhood, nor have I received any hate. But I always try to see things from both perspectives to reach a better understanding of how the other side feels. So here goes. And, this is just my best guess.

To really understand what fuels Bronyhate, the first thing to look at is the demographic of the group. It seems that most Bronies and Haters are male age 18-30. Behaviorally, we're pretty much the same. Raised in the 80's-90's, our culture was fairly constant as we matured. Going by that, the next step toward understanding is to look at the reasons My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is such a polarising topic.

1) The Pink and the Blue.

Think about the toys you had growing up. untill the 1940's-1950's (or maybe later?) all kids played with pretty much the same stuff. Jacks, Balls, Wagons. Jump ropes. Regardless of gender, these were what they knew. Fast forward a decade or two, and you get Barbie, specifically aimed at girls. A few years later, Matchbox cars for boys. Now even then it wasn't such a big deal to play with one or the other whether your a boy or girl, but it's the seed of an idea, and that seed bore vast fruit in the 1980's.

Yes, those 80's. This decade brought the Pink aisle. Girls were inundated with Barbies, Rainbow Brites, Strawberry Shortcakes, and, of course, My little Ponies; while boys got the G.I.Joes, He-man, and Ninja Turtles. Cartoons pushed all the major lines, with the Girly toys having even girlier shows behind them, and boys toys becoming macho, action-oriented, and more than a little violent.

Lines were drawn in the store. Boys were to stay out of the pink aisle, for fear of being called 'sissy'. Teaparties were forbidden, yet wars encouraged.

This sounds extreme, but it was the underlying whisper of our childhood. Lately, newer toys like Pokemon are working to break down gender lines, but the Pink aisle to this day remains as Pink as ever.

Hasbro put MLP: FiM in the pink aisle. They didn't know any better, don't blame them. They didn't know what they had. They just followed forrmula. But the effect is that a groundbreaking, barrier-erasing show still has this unfortunate pink stygma attatched. This is not a Girly show. This is a show about friendship, in which the main characters happen to be girls.

Which brings us to the Haters.

The Haters don't see the show for what it is. They see it for what it was presented to them as by the media, i.e. Hasbro and the Hub and the Pink Aisle. Again, don't blame the Company, No one could know what MLP would become (except Lauren, but I digress). Haters are still trapped by the Stygma. The Pink Aisle is the societal norm to them, and any breach thereof, however minor, is still a subconscious threat to their way of life. The same could be said for overly rude people, or people who get away with cheating the government.

Long story short, Haters hate 'cause they're expected to. Or at least they expect that they're expected to. Remeber to regard the Haters as 'pre-enlightened', for someday the stygma will drop, and the Pink Walls will fall, but it will take time. And understanding.

2) Jealousy.

A simpler reason, but still reason enough. MLP: FiM gives me that great happy Joyous feeling that I want to share with the world. I imagine the same can be said for most bronies. But when the Hate crowd finds our reason for being so happy to be something they do not understand and view as preposterous, they make the following decision:

I cannot be uplifted by the same means as -insert Brony- ; therefore I will bring him down to match my emotional state.

It's often a dark, unhappy world out there. Remember that those who cannot see the light will try to keep those they love in the darkness with them, for fear of losing them to that which they do not understand.

Anyway, this was just a guess, sorry it was so long-winded. And if I'm wrong, well, I've been wrong before.

Let me know what you think, though!

1 person likes this

Really?

I thought the main reason while people hate bronies is because of how annoying the small minority of bronies were in very start of the pony fad. They permanently ruined the image of this show.

I disagree with the first one reason because I don't think people really would go out of there way to hate something just because it is girly. I really don't see random people hating on Barbie or Cabbage Patch Kids. It is because of what I said, how it was first portrayed to the internet.

And the second reason... Jealousy? Really? They wouldn't be jealous if they don't know how much fun it is. They look at it as an annoying stupid fad/meme.

This is not a Girly show.

I am sorry, but I think it really is.

But that is just my opinion.

Edited by Dellobow

I pretty much agree with the whole, "haters hate because they are expected to hate." thing. I believe it is very true. I'm sure when other people think MLP, they think pink, girly, etc. And a male watching the show is different, therefore making them an outcast, and pretty much forcing everybody else who think that they are all "normal" to criticize the bronys. The reason I put normal in quotation marks is because there is no real definition of normal. People can think their normal, but you kinda really have to try in my opinion.

They hate because they dont get it.

When I was young, and I'm sure some others were you all may remember when Pokemon took the world by storm. There were people who were into it and then there were people who thought it was lame and rediculous. This is just the same pattern repeating, the only real diffrence is that you now have the internet(Which existed but when you were young you probably weren't using it) so you run into this hate alot more often.

My roomie isnt into the pony thing, and that's fine. He was into pokemon though so this time he's on the outside lookin' in.

@Dellobow

I missed the annoying bit, just got in a couple weeks back.

Not saying they hate Girly stuf, But will hat on a boy who likes Girly stuff.

And till they find out how much fun it is... haters gonna hate

I hope they all find out someday

Thanks

Not saying they hate Girly stuf, But will hat on a boy who likes Girly stuff.

True because they will question your orientation and what not.

But I guess I forgot to account that there are haters that hate the show, since according to them it is stupidly popular, and there are also haters that hate the fans for liking something that is considered "gay" to them.

Edited by Dellobow

I don't know much about 4chan or 4chan culture, but I do know that there was some big drama over there when the show reached meme status because lots of people would derail threads into pony threads, or post the images in parts of the forum where they weren't relevant. The mods over there banned the word "pony" as a result, which lead to a war on the forums between both sides and motivated some people to DDoS anything pony reated. That's how I learned about all of this, since my servers became one of the targets.

I haven't encountered too many brony haters. Those that I have met though fall into two categories: people who hate/associate bronies with 4chan, and 4chan people (who use "> implying" in every sentence) that hate bronies presumably because of the drama associated with them on 4chan.

I have literally never met a brony hater who didn't fit into these two categories with a 4chan connection. XD

Most of the close friends that I appointed to Admin on my servers in the beginning, such as Stovich, Para, and Critical, didn't know about MLP:FiM when I created my servers. They didn't browse 4chan, or come into contact with the fandom (meme or otherwise) until the Ponyville.net community started to grow. They didn't quite understand the fandom, show, or popularity, but they didn't hate it or negatively judge the brony community either. Of course, I've since converted them all into bronies too. =P But my point is that a lot of this brony hate seems to come from the impression people are given of them from outside sources of influence, namely other forums, or interactions with one or two obnoxious individuals.

From what I have heard, they aperantly think we are all insane horse-screwing murderers or something.

I think the simple fact of the matter is, people hate on whatever makes them feel insecure.

I honestly don't think there are any girl haters. At worst, just girls who don't particularly care for the show. Most guys, however, are raised in an intensely homophobic environment, and this continues for pretty much their entire lives. They instantly hate on MLP because they've been hard-wired since day one to think that if every other guy hates on it more than they do, they'll be accused of being gay or something--which is complete BS. Most guys who are living solely on testosterone can't handle the thought of that, so becomes a competition to see who can hate on the show (and anyone who likes it) as much as human possible. So they'll say whatever they can to cut the show and it's fans down.

EDIT: I'm not saying all haters are insecure punks, just a portion of them are. Human nature is far too complex to pin any single one reason to why haters are gonna hate, but there are certainly a few broad ones that can label a majority of them.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

I'm sure that not all brony haters dislike MLP for the same reason, but when I was a hater and a /b/tard (someone who lurks /b/) I hated MLP because of the pony derailing, its popularity on the internet and because I didn't understand it. When it first started tons of threads on /b/ (and /co/ presumably, although I never visited there) were spammed with pony reactions and then ponies were all over /b/. Many of us thought that ponies were ruining 4chan and so many of the mods and haters fought back at them. Then the constant flaming stopped and pony threads were born, although bronies were still hated by many.

I hated MLP because I didn't understand it after all of the 4chan wars stopped, I used to see many of them in games such as Opposing Force and Sven Co-op and I used to troll them sometimes, but overall I think the popularity of it and the ignorance of it were the reasons that haters hated it so much. Another thing worth mentioning is that a lot of bronies I know on the internet were haters at some stage, so this actually backs the theory up. Also I have been the victim of brony hate, so I guess it serves me right for trolling bronies in the first place.

Also just because haters hate, doesn't necessarily make them bad people because many are just closed minded, ignorant and/or jealous.

boys got the G.I.Joes, He-man, and Ninja Turtles.

and this is were the haters come in. they played with these extremely homo-erotic dolls as kids. they believe that because we happen to watch something that is in the girl aisle (no-ones fault) that we are gay... (DISCLAIMER!!! I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH GAY PEOPLE!!! just felt is was necessary to say that since some people get a bit too oversensitive about that kind of stuff.) honestly, i believe it is a little of both...