Calzone

Cursing

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you curse?

2. 3. If you do curse, why do you curse?

• No reason
    • Gives me a rush breaking the rules
    • Just a good way to vent
    • Because Tryhard
    • Other
    • Not Applicable
  3. 4. If you don't curse, why don't you curse?

• Makes me uncomfortable to swear
    • It's vulgar and there are better ways to insult
    • Religion
    • Other
    • Not applicable

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

110 posts in this topic

How do you all feel about cursing?

Does it bother you?

Do you curse too much?

Do you only do it with friends who would find it acceptable?

I myself swear probably more than I should, and it's usually tied to physical pain. Dropping a sheet of MDF on your toe isn't fun, but that's pretty much tradition in woodworking and construction.

I often find myself saying things like "horsefeathers" in substitute to something like "Damnit"

Not applicable is there because you have to vote for each field.

Day to day I don't. I will curse under my breath in video games though.

I guess I just save it for when I think it'll matter the most. Curse words aren't something I feel the need to use in my refular vocabulary. I ususally just mutter.

I curse all the fuckin' time. But I won't if it offends somebody just coz I don't wanna hear 'em bitch at me and/or I understand that some people don't like cursing.

You just gotta weigh things from situation to situation. I play it safe until I know people are okay with it, and tailor things accordingly.

1 person likes this

I rarely curse in real life. The only people that'll hear me cursing is my sister and friends.

When it comes to the Internet, I curse most of the time. It's because I rage too much whenever I play games and stuff.

I'll curse mostly to emphasise my dislike for something, or disdain, or to add mock authority to my words (especially around the household pets, i.e. that damn bird).

(srsly, if it ever learns any more words, the first phrase will be "Buffett, shut the FUCK UP!")

I'l curse if it's funny, or I'm quoting a meme.

I never curse out a person, though, unless it's an obvious joke. My curses are always aimed at a situation.

I tend to curse when annoyed, I have no problem with it, and also do it jokingly towards friends. I feel it should only be used in a derogatory sense when truly deserved.

I almost never curse. Most of the times I do are when I'm quoting something. But that doesn't mean I'm bothered by them at all. To me, they're just words. But I know that to some people, they're more than that, so I try to not to make a habit of it. I know that cursing probably wouldn't cause any problems in certain situations, but I don't want to get used to it and accidentally do it when it's inappropriate.

I curse. more when i'm playing video games.

Honestly, it's a part of my vocabulary to curse at some points. i don't go throwing it around every second, but more often than not you'll hear a hell, or shit, or crap or a fuck in quite a few of my sentences. a lot more when i'm playing a video game and i'm damn salty about it.

i honestly don't see a problem with it unless there's too many curse words in a single sentence... and there are MULTIPLE of these coming from the same person...unless it's the N word. i don't mind it being said.. like once.. but if i hear it more that once from the same person it starts to annoy me.

I curse more than I want to. It's kind of become ingrained. I guess I've hung out with disreputable gamers. I usually manage not to curse in professional situations. Usually.

I'll only do it on the internet, mostly because I don't have much need for it in real life.

Even on the internet I'll just use things like "buck" and the like.

Fuck.

Edited by Ponargonian

I do, but only in very very rare circumstances.

I feel that English is becoming very very bland.

Everyone is either "OMFG I FUCKING LOVE THIS" or "THIS IS A FUCKING PILE OF SHIT".

If I want to emphasize something I'm saying, I want the words I use to show that I'm emphasizing it.

It's the same reason I don't yell all the time.

If I yelled all the time, how would I emphasize words in speech?

I don't apply this to just cursing though, I also apply it to other things...

"Hate"

"Love"

"Terrible"

"Epic"

etc...

I believe "Hate" is a strong word, and I don't say that because it's offensive to me, it's not.

I believe "Hate" is a strong word because I want my communication to mean something.

3 people like this

I do not curse, it makes me feel unintelligent when I swear if I cannot express myself other than to swear. I'm fine with other people swearing though, I just prefer not to do so myself.

Me? Swear? Maaan, I totally don't swear whatsoever. Nope!

*totally doesn't swear like a sailor because he just has a bad habit of just swearing in general*

1 person likes this

I swear too much.

It's a mixture from growing up in an underprivelleged area, and watching too many Kevin Smith movies.

1 person likes this

Kids who swear in a context that just doesn't call for it

*Kids see an ice cream truck* "Holy fuck, and ice cream truck!"

"Wow dude, shut the hell up"

"Fuck you faggot" (An actual "conversation" I overheard in 7th grade)

I do it to convey a particular message

They do it for the sake of just saying the word.

Edited by Front700

I do it much less but probably still do it too much. These days I try to mix it up with other words that aren't as bad like:

"That's a bunch of bolder-dash."

"Why don't you go and flip yourself over?"

"Suck my Bomb-pop!"

"Don't tell me where to put MY salami!"

etc, etc...

I don't curse. At least I try not to.

Cursing leaves me feeling degraded, like I took the easy route for channeling frustration/emotions, instead of thinking things through. However, if I'm quoting something with text, then yes- I usually copy the quote word for word, curses included.

Bother me? Nah. If other people do it I guess I don't really care. It's when people overuse it that it just kind of irks me.

There are also other, more personal reasons I try to refrain from cursing that I won't state here but will leave it in my vote none-the-less.

Edited by Coffey

I have never cursed, and I will never curse....but, like the rest of the people that I know, you probably don't believe me....there is nothing I can do about that, you are just going to have to trust me here.

Why don't I curse? Because I don't need...simple as that....there has been no point in my life where I feel that I need to use a word that has been taken so far out of context that it is now an insult.

As for other people cursing, I honestly don't care...it's their own business.

So you say what you want, and I will say what I want and life can go on.

I curse some--but it's generally pretty limited.

I find myself swearing in certain situations (usually some combination of frustration, surprise, anger, etc. . .) only to regret right afterword. I'll think to myself, "That really was unnecessary swearing."

Me? Swear? Maaan, I totally don't swear whatsoever. Nope!

*totally doesn't swear like a sailor because he just has a bad habit of just swearing in general*

Kuni, you have the single most varied profanity vocabulary I've ever heard.

1 person likes this

A knight never curses!

...If happen berate your masculinity and insult your mother using colorful language that would make a bar wench blush, then perhaps you should get out from behind your shield and fight like a man!

I curse a little. Usually I am self-conscious and will try to replace them with shiz and freak/frack/fluff. But in times that I was in danger/close to getting hurt, sudden realization of something really bad, and actually painfully getting hurt, and normal video game inner ragining, I do let out a couple of curses.