Calzone

Cursing

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you curse?

2. 3. If you do curse, why do you curse?

• No reason
    • Gives me a rush breaking the rules
    • Just a good way to vent
    • Because Tryhard
    • Other
    • Not Applicable
  3. 4. If you don't curse, why don't you curse?

• Makes me uncomfortable to swear
    • It's vulgar and there are better ways to insult
    • Religion
    • Other
    • Not applicable

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

110 posts in this topic

I don't curse in professional situations, and some people if you told them I curse like a sailor who's come into port, they wouldn't believe you. Depending on my mood depends on how much I curse and sometimes I say things that I find amusing... other people don't, but to me it's funny so I say it.

I don't really curse much in real life, I only really do it on the internet for some reason. The only time in real life that I ever curse are when I am talking with friends or in incredibly frustrating situations, and even then I try not to do so. On the internet I am much less genteel and swear quit a bit.

Also I don't like using swear words to insult someone. There are much better words out there, I prefer to use them.

Edited by Whatever You Want

Besides, who needs curses? Shakespeare managed to insult people fine without cursing.

"I do desire we may be better strangers."

Edited by Sonic Rain
2 people like this

The thing is, if you don't vent once in a while, it all ends up boiling over and something like this ends up happening:

3 people like this

I don't swear usually, for some reason it just doesn't happen, but if others do, then I don't mind, unless it's every sentence then I find that's unnecessary.

Does it bother you? Mildly. I get annoyed if someone's abusing the words. If every sentence you've said has had 2+ swears in it, most likely, you've lost my attention.

Do you curse too much? I curse too damn much! On a more serious note, yeah I do. I try and sway my cursing habits, but sadly I end up relapsing. I've really got to learn to control myself.

Do you only do it with friends who would find it acceptable? I would. All of my current friends find it acceptable, but if any one of them came to me and expressed their feelings about how I speak, I'd be willing to slowly and/or completely halt my swearing.

I mainly swear because when I was young, it was VERBOTEN! Telling me not to do it will only make me want to do it more. So, I locked away my urges to curse, then when I hit 16...Well, I opened the floodgates.

I'll rarely replace a swear word with a close-but-not-quite swear word.

That's just silly, considering the meaning is still there, and the meaning is where the heart of the matter lies.

Just an occasional freak instead of fuck, usually in more proffessional circumstances.

Other than that, replacng every swear with a list of alternate words is a futile pactice, and those who do, whom I hear do it on a regular basis, create understood swears to me.

ex. He may have said shnikes, but I hear it as shit since I know that's what he means.

The only reason i would replace a swearword with an alternative word that basically everyone would know what i mean is if i'm in a more professional place (aka work environment or classrooms) or if i'm around younger children whom haven't yet learned the words.

i mean, i understand they're gonna learn them eventually right? just i'm not gonna be the one responsible for teaching them those words. that can fall on someone else.

I have never cursed before in my life and I don't plan on doing it. Currently I don't mind when others curse and I think it's funny when it's used in media, I also believe censorship is bad, so people should be able to say what they want. However, I used to have a phobia of these words due to an event that occurred when I was twelve, not going into detail about what happened, this event caused me to fear getting in trouble, to which I became terribly afraid of anything authorities deemed as inappropriate, mainly cussing. I would become highly frightened whenever somebody even said light curse words. I believe the phobia had left me unable to curse myself but I did get over my issues with hearing them when I entered high school.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate them anymore, in fact, I put them into some of my RPs with some of my real life friends (Can write and type them, can't say them). I never type out curse words in public forums and such though because it'd be a little silly, considering I don't say them in real life.

I have never cursed before in my life and I don't plan on doing it. Currently I don't mind when others curse and I think it's funny when it's used in media, I also believe censorship is bad, so people should be able to say what they want. However, I used to have a phobia of these words due to an event that occurred when I was twelve, not going into detail about what happened, this event caused me to fear getting in trouble, to which I became terribly afraid of anything authorities deemed as inappropriate, mainly cussing. I would become highly frightened whenever somebody even said light curse words. I believe the phobia had left me unable to curse myself but I did get over my issues with hearing them when I entered high school.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't hate them anymore, in fact, I put them into some of my RPs with some of my real life friends (Can write and type them, can't say them). I never type out curse words in public forums and such though because it'd be a little silly, considering I don't say them in real life.

Funny, because I can recall you calling yourself "badass" after you got a certain someone from school to block you on Facebook... :P

I had never cursed in my life, ever, except one time where my stress levels were at 100%. That was saying "fuck".

Some people curse to be popular, and some curse just to fit in. But I find cursing as repulsive, immature, and self-centered, and it offends every person I meet, that is if they're off being rebellious as usual. I just don't understand why people can control what they're saying for once, but I'm not pointing fingers at anybody here, and I certainly don't want to change those people who do.

I usually type swear words, that's because I'm comfortable doing so without letting it out of my mouth.

Edited by Zelc

Funny, because I can recall you calling yourself "badass" after you got a certain someone from school to block you on Facebook... :P

That was on Deviantart, not in real life.

I curse all the mothafuckin' time. Probably more that I should. I used to never curse at all, then it kinda became a habit. Ah well.

Depends on the person I'm speaking to and the language... I cuss mostly in English, cause everybody does ;3 In Bulgarian... Not that much... Well sort of, sometimes. In Russian ? Not at all... I'm still voting yes though...

I in fact, do curse. But only when in pain or just to vent out some stress. I think it is just rude to go around and cuss like you don't have any manners... at all. It isn't even cool.

Online and in games I'll swear because no one knows my face/who I am, and with my friends I do because it's just second nature. But in public, I ALWAYS make sure to never swear since I think it's disgusting when other people you don't know who might get offended by it can hear it when you're in person.

I think it is pointless to care about. What a waste of time right?

Some dude: "FUCK"

Some over loud mother: "I'm offended, my kids shouldn't hear it"

Yeah well, parent better.

If people care, they need to go desensitize themselves a little more :P

Edited by ybnrmalatall

kevin-garnett-angry-gif.gif

kevin-garnett-angry-gif.gif

Yes.

That just seems carelessly rude and inconsiderate to everyone around you.

I really got to ask, why do so many people here find cursing to be such a big deal anyways? I might have asked it before but I have honestly forgot.

I mean they are just words. Sure, if they are direct hate words (n-word for example) then I can understand why, but if someone's vocabulary consists of the word "fuck" why is that such a pet peeve with you guys? I mean I live in a small town by the coast where swearing and cursing is a part of our culture (the Norwegian name for horse genetalia is basically the entire town's catchphrase from a purely stereotypical viewpoint) so maybe that is why I don't get it, but yeah what's the big deal?