Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPL Pinkamena Pie

CPL's guide to joining the military

32 posts in this topic

I don't think ADD will disqualify you... Bipolar might... My suggestion is, go talk to a recruiter... They can give answers about this (and when you go in there, just say "Hey, I think I have ADD and maybe bipolar, it hasn't been diagnosed, but if it were would that be a disqualifier for military service?")... They'll be able to give you a straight answer and they could also best advise you on how to get in (or around it)...

My room mate back in 2006 when I went to Iraq the first time had ADD and all they did was give him ritalin to manage it...

EDIT: At a minimum, you can go in for counseling and if asked about it, say it was due to some problems in life or something like that, after all... You're not lying and the Army cannot get a copy of your files without you agreeing to it (doctor/patient confidentiality)...

I haven't been diagnosed with anything because I've lacked medical issuance of any kind most of my life (Go go American Health Care). The Bipolar aspect I think I can manage. It's rough sometimes, but just being aware of it honestly gives me a lot of power to not succumb to it. The ADD actually feels like a borderline disability to me, and affects me everyday, and makes work a horrible pain at times. I don't know if I could manage military service without medication--but it sounds like it's not a huge disqualifying factor.

I had a friend join the Army out of high school and he was actually diagnosed schizophrenic.

The best advice has probably already been given (if you don't feel it might be a problem, don't bring it up).

If you haven't even been diagnosed, I'd definitely hold off shouting out "possibilities". If you talk to someone (like a recruiter, etc) who would be in the know, you could always go the "a friend of mine might have _______" route to satisfy your curiosity.

Then you can go from there.

Since you said you were leaning more Air Force, I can help with this.

I'm not sure about other branches though.

If you think something will interfere with your ability to participate, definitely mention it.

Otherwise, if you don't think it's an issue and you haven't been diagnosed, don't even bring it up.

Even, "Well, I might have..." is potentially end-of-the-line.

Don't lie obviously, but don't let yourself make a mountain out of a molehill either.

Bi-polar is a full DQ, and ADD/ADHD is a DQ from all jobs requiring heightened security clearance.

Army recruiters are pretty notorious for trying to get people (even people who shouldnt be in the service) in... That's why I said to inquire... If it is that big of deal, if you go talk to them, you could always go the route Racquerr mentioned and say "I have a friend who would also like to joined, but they aren't sure if they qualify because they think they may have ADD and bipolar"...

But I can tell you now, I don't believe the Army discriminates against people with ADD, because my friend maintained a Secret clearance and he was diagnosed with ADD... He worked the same as me, in server administration...

Once you get in, you can go and get checked out and look to get diagnosis/help....

It is very important though, if you do get in and do go to get diagnosis, do not mention that it was a preexisting medical condition... The Army will pay for any issue that they discover while in the service, but they are not obligated to deal with anything that is preexisting (and will sometimes separate a person for it)...

For example, I dislocated my shoulder prior to coming in the Army and had it set by a friend of the family that was a chiropractor... Since the Army cannot look at any medical records prior to the service, it didn't bother me, and (honestly) it slipped my mind, I failed to mention it... A few years later, now that shoulder is having problems and as far as the Army is concerned, it was an issue that cropped up during the course of my career...

That's good advice. I'm less concerned about getting a ADD diagnoses then.

I don't know exactly when I'm going to join the military, but I may be pressured into getting an ADD diagnoses before then. I struggle with day-to-day chores and staying focused. Apparently, not being able keeping a consistent thought in one's head for more than 15 seconds isn't normal.

That's good advice. I'm less concerned about getting a ADD diagnoses then.

I don't know exactly when I'm going to join the military, but I may be pressured into getting an ADD diagnoses before then. I struggle with day-to-day chores and staying focused. Apparently, not being able keeping a consistent thought in one's head for more than 15 seconds isn't normal.

Like I said, it never hurts to ask just to be 100% certain... Hell, if you get the phone number to the local recruiter's office, you can just give them a call and not have to worry about anything, since they will not be seeing your face (just give them a fake name or no name at all)...