Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whatever You Want

General Support, Advice, Solutions to Problems, etc... thread

12 posts in this topic

I'm kinda surprised we don't have a topic for support which doesn't quite fit in the range of the Heavy thread, especially considering this is a board about support and advice. Whatever, we have one now, so onto my problem:

Basically recently I have been feeling incredibly tired all day and it is hugely effecting my everyday life. I was talking to one of my friends about this and he says it is most likely mental exhaustion, which apparently he has dealt with a few times in his life. The causes are obvious, the fact that I'm losing out on valuable sleep and the fact I have been handed a severe amount of work which all needs to be done within the next few days. So I figured that perhaps if I got a good amount of sleep one night then this would go, right? Unfortunately I managed to get a good 8 hours last night and yet the problem is worse than ever today, which leads me to believe that this issue will take a while to overcome. I know plenty of people here have dealt with sleep issues in the past, so I suppose asking here will be as good a shot as any.

So to my questions. What is the best way to deal with this? Are there any "quick fixes" which could help until I can finally get rid of this? How long does this generally last? Is it possible it will have any negative effects on my health if it is not sorted soon? I'm sorry for the bombardment of questions but it has gotten so bad that I had to skip three hours of lectures because I was learning nothing, literally, I just couldn't pay any attention.

tl;dr: I'm tired, wat do?

As far as forcing your way through some work over the next few days, pick up some kind of drink that has more caffeine in it than whatever other drinks you normally consume. Three or four two liters or soda, pour into shot glasses and just drink perpetually while you plow through your work. It should be a drink type that's a step up in caffeine from your norm so it overcomes any tolerance you might have. Also don't drink it too close to when you want to go to sleep, for obvious reasons.

Obviously that is not a long-term solution. I'm not a doctor, and if this problem persist too long, you may want to consult one, but I have been told that feeling tired can actually be caused by a lack of consistent physical activity. I think this can cause mental fatigue as well as physical. You might consider taking up jogging three or four days a week.

1 person likes this

There's obviously a medium keeping you awake. My only recommendation is to pinpoint, and assess it. Is it video games? Movies? .... Girls? Something's keeping you awake and you need to set an amount of time you can spend focusing on it. I have this problem myself, sometimes. As many people know, I love video games. I also love ponies. These things tend to keep me up at night. (especially Luna. Ha-Ha. Get it? Luna? Night? Ha... allllllrighty..) When I know for a fact the next day I have nothing to do, I tend to stay up until as late/early as three in the morning. Now as you can imagine on multiple days off this lack of sleep tends to build up.

tl;dr

-Find thing keeping you up.

-Control it.

-Sleep.

-???

-Profit.

As Kino already previously mentioned, some form of caffeine is good to stay awake to get the job done. But reliance on that is pretty bad imo. So I agree on his suggestion in investing time for some sort of exercise to get you pumped up for the day. Although you might not be able to afford anytime to do any jogging outside, there are other simpler alternatives.

For instance, everytime you wake up in the morning (or perhaps anytime you need to wake yourself up), you should do some simple physical activity. It could be loosing up/stretching your whole body/limbs such as moving your upper torso side to side while you stand in one spot, hip circles like you're hula-hooping, or doing some windmills/swimming motions with your arms. Besides that, there is also doing some little jogging in place, jumping jacks, push-ups, or whatever you want, Whatever You Want.

About staying awake/attentive during lecture, I also suffer the same problem. If you are not the type to actively participate during class, my friend always told me to try doodling. Based on my personal experience, I feel that the main reason why people fall asleep/space out, is that they actually try to pay attention all the time. Since the class is so boring and long, the whole action of absorbing the material becomes a some kind of grueling endurance round. That is why actions like doodling are like little mental breaks and help you absorb more in the long run. Just don't get carried away with the hiatuses though.

As for the whole need for sleep issue, if you can ever fit any time for naps, I say go for it. But I assume your schedule is booked with work, so you will just deal with the little sleep you can get. If you do manage to get good sleep such as your 8 hour night, don't let the feeling of even more exhaustion in morning dissuade you. I believe it's just your body is finally happy to recieve sleep and is expecting even more than 8 hours, but it just becomes grumpy and greedy that your sleep fell short or you were in a bad sleeping position. Regardless it is always healthy to get that sleep and you should try to mentally overcome that tiredness.

But think about it like this, after all the work is done (I assume you have winter break), you should be able to sleep like Snorlax and relax like a lazyass. So just keep trudging along with that motivational goal in mind, I suppose.

Edited by Dellobow

Well thanks for the advice guys. I finally managed to hand in all the work yesterday, and the caffeine shots were a huge help and my sleep schedule is slowly starting to return to normal it seems. Thanks!

Well thanks for the advice guys. I finally managed to hand in all the work yesterday, and the caffeine shots were a huge help and my sleep schedule is slowly starting to return to normal it seems. Thanks!

Normal sleep schedules are overrated... I sleep an average of 3 to 4 hours a night... I function just fine...

1 person likes this

Hey guys, insomnia's kicking in again and I'm thinking about shit and if I don't type this down somewhere it will keep me up all night.

Some of you guys probably heard about the party I attended last Sunday where there was lesbians kissing each other for attention and such and how I was being accused of being gay for not watching. Well, I probably had the opportunity to get something myself that night but I pussied out of it and now I'm feeling kind of regretful. At one point during the party my one friend (and he's done this to me before) told me to come here and then he called me his gay lover and he grabbed me and had me sitting on his crotch while he was sitting by the bonfire. I liked it and he seemed comfortable but after realizing that a couple of my other friends who I wasn't out to yet were there I took myself off of him to look like I wasn't enjoying it because I was afraid that if I made myself look like I enjoyed it that all of my friends would know that I'm gay and I'm still unsure of how they would feel about it.

Before you guys ask, this guy in question has a girlfriend. I don't know if he's bi or curious but he's done stuff like this to me before.

Though now I find myself fantasizing about that situation a lot and what I could have/should have done and now I find myself having regrets.

I'm probably making myself sound pretty stupid right now but do any of you have advice for me to start becoming more confident in hitting on/flirting and making moves on guys? I feel that I'm way too much of a pussy sometimes and I feel that's the reason why I don't have a boyfriend yet.

Next time my friend throws a party though I definitely won't hold back if an opportunity comes again. By then all of my friends should get the idea that I'm gay and they need to accept that.

Hey guys, insomnia's kicking in again and I'm thinking about shit and if I don't type this down somewhere it will keep me up all night.

Some of you guys probably heard about the party I attended last Sunday where there was lesbians kissing each other for attention and such and how I was being accused of being gay for not watching. Well, I probably had the opportunity to get something myself that night but I pussied out of it and now I'm feeling kind of regretful. At one point during the party my one friend (and he's done this to me before) told me to come here and then he called me his gay lover and he grabbed me and had me sitting on his crotch while he was sitting by the bonfire. I liked it and he seemed comfortable but after realizing that a couple of my other friends who I wasn't out to yet were there I took myself off of him to look like I wasn't enjoying it because I was afraid that if I made myself look like I enjoyed it that all of my friends would know that I'm gay and I'm still unsure of how they would feel about it.

Before you guys ask, this guy in question has a girlfriend. I don't know if he's bi or curious but he's done stuff like this to me before.

Though now I find myself fantasizing about that situation a lot and what I could have/should have done and now I find myself having regrets.

I'm probably making myself sound pretty stupid right now but do any of you have advice for me to start becoming more confident in hitting on/flirting and making moves on guys? I feel that I'm way too much of a pussy sometimes and I feel that's the reason why I don't have a boyfriend yet.

Next time my friend throws a party though I definitely won't hold back if an opportunity comes again. By then all of my friends should get the idea that I'm gay and they need to accept that.

Question is, does this guy know about your orientation? If yes, then approach him about it... If no, it could have just been teasing/joking...

I know that a large number of my hetero friends joke around in the similar manner, but I know that if they were aware that I was bisexual, they would most likely not...

That's pretty common, as far as I know anyways.

I had one of my friends who kept saying "Hold my hand" whenever there was an awkward silence. I found it more annoying than anything.

So one day I went "Okay...". He grabbed my hand, and then I crushed his spraining a few fingers and bruising a knuckle or two (I made sure not to break anything).

Now, do I suggest beat up your friends when they act stupid? No, don't do what I do, everyone has friends that act stupid or silly. However if this is something that happens frequently and it's making you uncomfortable you need to talk it out and go "Hey, I know your joking around and all, but doing that makes me uncomfortable, so please don't" and leave it at that. No need to go into any long winded explanation. Just be stern what you bring it up, make sure your friends know you're serious. No need to turn yourself into an exhibition in front of your friends.

Can't really help you on the last part and I'm probably the last person you want to ask. My only advice with that is don't feel like you need to rush into anything. As you get older, you'll be able to go places and meet people more easily. Concentrate on your education and overall well being for now.

Question is, does this guy know about your orientation? If yes, then approach him about it... If no, it could have just been teasing/joking...

I know that a large number of my hetero friends joke around in the similar manner, but I know that if they were aware that I was bisexual, they would most likely not...

Questionably he might. He's caught me doing things for the GSA multiple times but that doesn't exactly count for much.

I honestly don't think he's serious about it in retrospect. Would love to see how far I could take him though before he backs off lol.

Gay chicken anyone? :v

That's pretty common, as far as I know anyways.

I had one of my friends who kept saying "Hold my hand" whenever there was an awkward silence. I found it more annoying than anything.

So one day I went "Okay...". He grabbed my hand, and then I crushed his spraining a few fingers and bruising a knuckle or two (I made sure not to break anything).

Now, do I suggest beat up your friends when they act stupid? No, don't do what I do, everyone has friends that act stupid or silly. However if this is something that happens frequently and it's making you uncomfortable you need to talk it out and go "Hey, I know your joking around and all, but doing that makes me uncomfortable, so please don't" and leave it at that. No need to go into any long winded explanation. Just be stern what you bring it up, make sure your friends know you're serious. No need to turn yourself into an exhibition in front of your friends.

Can't really help you on the last part and I'm probably the last person you want to ask. My only advice with that is don't feel like you need to rush into anything. As you get older, you'll be able to go places and meet people more easily. Concentrate on your education and overall well being for now.

He hasn't made me feel uncomfortable. If anything he's teasing me lol.

I don't feel like I'm being rushed into doing something because I feel that I'm ready for something casual (Not a relationship, high school relationships pretty much never work out anyways.) but yeah, sometimes it can get a tidbit frustrating and that's okay, I don't sweat it very much. I get insomnia some nights anyways so I'd rather be thinking about guys instead of stressing over other things that will make me an emotional wreak.