Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lyra the Pocket Medic

Since people want it..

Should I get admin?   27 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get admin? (Be truthful. Answers are hidden.)

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

Hello, Ponyville: New Jersey community! My name is Lyra, and many of you more than likely will know me. I'm the one with the Lyra model. I've been on the server since..June, I think? So..I am fairly new. But I've come to see the server as family.

Now, quite a few people have mentioned it, and I do want it..I/they want me to be an admin on the server. I have admin experience, modding a livestream and minecraft server, and I am an admin on RavenShadow's server. I'm also..well, liked. People know and like me.

Now, please, be honest. If you don't think I should be an admin, say it. I understand.

I don't have much to say, so I'm leaving it to the community. If you want me to be an admin, just..say it here. Thanks so much!

--Lyra

Edited by Lyra the Pocket Medic
1 person likes this

To be truthful, I don't think you should if immediately but possibly in the future. While yes we do need a bit more administration in the server and don't think this as anything personal but, I just don't think it should be you as your attitude and personality fluxuate sometimes literally out of nowhere and can result in people getting caught in the crossfire.

1 person likes this

I vote no. Only because I feel Lyra is not ready for this kind of responsibility. His age and temper at sometimes can be, a little out of hand. I would like nothing more than one of my good friends to become an admin, but as is now, I don't think he should. But as time goes on he control his temper and "grows up" a bit, he has potential to become a possible good Admin.

To be truthful, I don't think you should if immediately but possibly in the future. While yes we do need a bit more administration in the server and don't think this as anything personal but, I just don't think it should be you as your attitude and personality fluxuate sometimes literally out of nowhere and can result in people getting caught in the crossfire.

Oh, trust me, I understand. But..I'm trying to get it under control. Thanks for being honest.

i agree with what jug says when it comes to timing i say its still a little earily considering you started playing in june i think you should wait till you've been a part of ponyville for at least a year

Well I didn't vote at all,but I would have to agree with Zero. Lyra is a good friend but with a temper like that may cause some situtations to get out of hand. If he controls his temper,then I could see him as a good admin.

Now, I fully support Lyra becoming and admin, then again I have reasons for and against.

Why should Lyra be an admin?

Well, he's a great guy. I know that's cliche, but then again, there's not much else to say about that particular feature. Lyra is supportive and passive, as in he doesn't take sides in arguments that he doesn't need to. This also includes not starting arguments. A large percent of the players know and like Lyra. There is the experiance as an admin as well, not to mention that a lot of the admins (especially on NJ) have good relationships with Lyra. It's fair to say that he creates a fun, enjoyable experiance, not only on TF2 but other games (such as L4D2) as well.

Okay, now this is where I enter full out explanation mode of why NOT.

So, I own 3 servers (Minecraft, Terraria, and a rarely used Gmod server), maintain them, run them, everything. I'm also an sub admin on a killing floor server (limited powers, kick but no ban), as well as an admin on another terraria and 2 minecraft servers. Recently I've left the servers running with only 1 admin each, and no offense, but I probably wouldn't put you as an admin on my servers. I mean, you're a great person and all, and you have SOME experiance, but temper and mood (which is why the servers I run are left for others to handle for now) play a huge role in running a server. If you get mad and ban somebody too quickly, or don't care enough to act, other people could get really upset and cause a bigger issue than it was initially. Also, being an admin on a private server doesn't offer the full-on admin experiance either.

I would fully support you if this server was smaller/a private server, but I'm a little uncertain about you becoming a moderator on this particular server. You still have my support, but I'm just saying that I could offer more.

i agree with what jug says when it comes to timing i say its still a little earily considering you started playing in june i think you should wait till you've been a part of ponyville for at least a year

A year? Well... I got admin after 2 months on one server, and another in 6 months. A year is a bit high, I think.

Edited by OverDose

I would agree, in time, Lyra has potential to be a good admin. The only real negative, like others who have mentioned it, would be the "moodiness". All he needs is a bit more 'self-control' and he would make a great admin.

If that can be under better control, I would be entirely in favor of lyra becoming an admin.

Edited by Videogames380

The general train of thought for most adminships is, if you have to ask, you're not ready.

This pretty much.

I shall remain neutral here, for I have no voice in TF2.

However I would suggest a 'nay'. Apologies, mate, but asking for admin is a good way to avoid getting the promotion.

The general train of thought for most adminships is, if you have to ask, you're not ready.

^

The question really is:

do we need more admins?

I do not intend to be berating in this post, but new members are appointed in an administration as they are needed. What would you do if you had adminship? Would you better the community through thick and thin? Would you be able to come onto the servers whenever one of 45,000+ people comes to you with a problem that might not even be a problem? Do you know what to do when something isn't against the rules but clearly is wrong? All these things adversely effect the community.

There are very hard decisions to make, and I have even slapped warning points on some of my good friends who i'm sure are reading this right now. It's not easy, but I'm sure you know that. But at the same time, you don't know half of the things administrators NEED to do in order to keep the community in check. It's like VG380 said, you can't let your emotions and personal cliques get in the way of administrating a community. We have a very straightforward set of rules that leads to a lot of broad interpretation. This heavies the load on us as administrators, but it's a trust load. Raini trusts that we make the right judgements even when the rules don't explicitly say something is right or wrong.

I'm just an administrator on the forums. I get to check every post here. We get about a post every four and a half minutes when you do the math. That might be a truckload of work to do, and maybe it doesn't really need to be done, and I'm just pulling more than I should, but I do it because I love the community.

Now that's just the forums. I can't fathom what it's like making sure the servers are nice and tidy.

The best thing you can really do now when you see something happening or bad in the community is to get an administrator. You don't need to pull the trigger. You just have to call someone who can. See problems in the administration? Point them out! See problems in the community? Point them out! the people that do this are helping just as much as any administrator is.

And if we do need another administrator on the roster, and you do stick out as someone who has been faithful to the community in all forms, then yeah we'll give you a call.

EDIT:

Time has nothing to do with administrative appointminship.

Well of course we don't appoint people that are 3 weeks old, but you know what I mean

Edited by Sun Butt
1 person likes this

asking for admin is a good way to avoid getting the promotion.

But then how does one become an admin if they aren't allow to ask? One must apply themselves and offer one's service usually by communicating with another of high authority over such domains as this server which ends up in this case a form of asking. So asking would be necessary, but in a well respective manner and a reasonable validation of one's skill. If you don't ask anyways, you're not going to receive the title anytime soon so whats the point? Imagine implementing this scenario with a homeless person, if he/she doesn't ask for food they're going to starve to death and waiting for someone to walk by and hoping they drop some food for you is just depressing.

Edited by Skydragon

asking for admin is a good way to avoid getting the promotion.

But then how does one become an admin if they aren't allow to ask? One must apply themselves and offer one's service usually by communicating with another of high authority over such domains as this server which ends up in this case a form of asking. So asking would be necessary, but in a well respective manner and a reasonable validation of one's skill. If you don't ask anyways, you're not going to receive the title anytime soon so whats the point? Imagine implementing this scenario with a homeless person, if he/she doesn't ask for food they're going to starve to death and waiting for someone to walk by and hoping they drop some food for you is just depressing.

I do not like this askew comparison. You cannot compare the survival of a human being to a voluntary appointminship on a forum. You are speaking as if it is a rank someone obtains on forums. Like administrators are "big dogs that run the joint" We aren't. We are members of a community just like anyone else, and if you're looking for more responsibility in a community, you are not ready for that responsibility. This forum is something you look forward to. it's something you do with your spare time. It's something you do to have fun, Including the servers. It should stay that way. I commit myself because as I said, I have an undying love for the community, and I would place any weight on my shoulders for the good of this forum, and for the good of the servers.

I never asked to be appointed as an administrator. I was asked, and I accepted.

There are better ways to ask. Ways like:

Do you need another administrator? There seem to be more problems that the current administration can't handle. I would be more than glad to help if need be.

You don't ask for a promotion at work oh boy now I'm making the same askew comparisons

You do your best and prove yourself as someone capable of handling the job. Asking upfront makes you sound antsy, and I know I would not hire someone who is antsy.

Asking isn't necessary, and it does more bad for you than good.

1 person likes this

1. Like Cal said, you don't need adminship to live. Bad analogy.

2. Last i checked, most of our team, such as Rainbro, Kuni, etc. did not ask for their roles. When the community feels the need to expand their mod team, they typically look in-house at those considered the best and brightest of the community, and ask THEM if they wish to take the role.

2 people like this

Pretty much what everyone else has said.

If you need to ask for a promotion, you're probably not ready for it, and perhaps the biggest question is, do we need another one right now? Maybe in the future you can be, but first you need to:

• Work on your emotional issues (I haven't played on NJ in a long while, but I've heard about you and your issues from my friends)
  • Determine what you would do to help the community grow
  • Wait patiently for your time to get the promotion

Hello, Ponyville: website community! My name is woodle, and many of you more than likely will know me. I'm the one with the grappler avatar. I've been on the site since..December, I think? So..I am fairly new. But I've come to see the server as family.

Now, quite a few people have mentioned it, and I do want it..I/they want me to be an admin on nowhere. Ever. I have no experience. I'm also..well, liked(HA!). People know and like... pfft, haha.

Now, please, be honest. If you don't think I should be an admin, say it. I understand.(read: fuck you)

I don't have much to say, so I'm leaving it to the community. If you want me to be an admin, just..say it here. Thanks so much!

--woodle

1 person likes this

^^no don't pick this loser. i saw him yell at a puppy. also he's registered as an independent.

don't throw your vote away ponyville.

I do not like this askew comparison. You cannot compare the survival of a human being to a voluntary appointminship on a forum. You are speaking as if it is a rank someone obtains on forums. Like administrators are "big dogs that run the joint" We aren't. We are members of a community just like anyone else, and if you're looking for more responsibility in a community, you are not ready for that responsibility. This forum is something you look forward to. it's something you do with your spare time. It's something you do to have fun, Including the servers. It should stay that way. I commit myself because as I said, I have an undying love for the community, and I would place any weight on my shoulders for the good of this forum, and for the good of the servers.

I never asked to be appointed as an administrator. I was asked, and I accepted.

There are better ways to ask. Ways like:

Do you need another administrator? There seem to be more problems that the current administration can't handle. I would be more than glad to help if need be.

You don't ask for a promotion at work oh boy now I'm making the same askew comparisons

You do your best and prove yourself as someone capable of handling the job. Asking upfront makes you sound antsy, and I know I would not hire someone who is antsy.

Asking isn't necessary, and it does more bad for you than good.

I am aware of what an administrator is and their purpose, I was generalizing on the whole administration pursuit, I wasn't talking about this forum in particular. I address administrators as authority figures because that is what they usually are in most forums I've visited, and they often have the ability to appoint others. I would admit the so called askew comparison was a bit unorthodox, if I gave myself more time to think I would had thought of something more work related, as you mentioned. Getting into the subject of work, you might have seen application forms from time to time within shops or small businesses, might I suggest that as a written form of 'asking'? Most forums I've been to have varies of staff applications that people can apply to and become a mod or admin of a forum or service. Now I don't exactly know how this forum is run but in most forums I've been to, you usually ask by filling out a typed application form.