Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RD622

Back! - With an update, slight apology, and S3 question...

7 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I'm back again and kinda want to apologize for my long absence. For a community that has done so much for me and completely changed my way of thinking I feel guilty about not participating more often! Long story short I'm still in the Army but no longer playing infantry anymore. For the first time in my army career I'm doing what I signed up to do which is operate the M1 Abrams tank. For those of you not familiar with the military way you almost NEVER get what you signed up for! Lol that much aside suffice it to say I've been working my butt off doing my ACTUAL job but I'm happy with it. We drew our tanks after they've been sitting for three years years while being "expertly maintained" (So they told us...) by civilian contractors... Heh, we've been working on them non stop for two months. I know I just got back but we're deploying again next October so we're training hard to be ready for that one. Thankfully my contract is up by then so I get to sit that one out. I still have to take part in all of the training though. I'll say in advance I'll be gone most of January and February. We'll be training in the field for about 6 weeks and I'll probably have only my phone with me when I can charge it. Should be fun though because we're doing field maneuvers, training, and gunnery on all of our weapons systems. Anyway I'll stop rambling now. I figured I had a little explaining to do...

On to the question!

I finally got to watch the latest S3 episodes (We're at Ep 4 I believe.) I personally enjoyed all of them and think they've done a great job keeping the show going so far. I really hope they keep the show going strong for many years! Lol anyway, Episode 4 with the CMC happens to be one of my favorites. Not only was it a total cuteness overload IMO lol but I thought it was the CMC's best episode yet. The popular consensus I hear from a lot of people is the CMC episodes are just "fillers" and many of them dislike them for that reason. I really enjoyed the episode and thought it was a step up from the so called "filler" episodes. (Again, this is IMO) It had the same wholesome entertainment and strong lessons as the regular episodes with the Mane 6 and a lot of really funny parts. I'm curious if anyone else shared a similar opinion and if applicable - Did the episode change your opinion of them? Do some of you still dislike/hate the CMC and their episodes and if so, why? Aside from the standard "filler" opinion that is...

Also my friend pointed out the significance to me that Sweetie Belle used a little magic (Though with no apparent effect) and Scootaloo appeared to be flying a bit. Seems to me they're trying to push for much more character development in S3 and I really hope they continue to do a lot more in the future. We've had a Pinkie Pie episode, a CMC one, there seems to be a Rainbow Dash episode in the future, and the Crystal Empire one seemed to focus largely on Twilight/Spike IMO. Personally I'm hoping for the best with the upcoming episodes.

Thanks for listening to me ramble again... Again I'm really sorry for the long absence! Happy late Halloween and Thanksgiving! lol

Edited by RD622

I think the "ZOMG MAGIC" and "ZOMG FLIGHT" things are a bit pointless. As a sometimes-writer, I can assure you they're not likely to ever fly, turn people into frogs, or get their cutie marks - just like how the guy never gets the girl on TV, they want people to come back with that bit of expectation tension.

The episode definitely had its hook on the topic of bullying. It's not easy to deal with, and what's worse, so often when a TV show deals with it, the solutions provided feel like a slap in the face to kids, as they're completely useless given the situations so many kids have. It's such a real and present threat to kids that anything less than a perfect solution just feels aggravating, and makes one feel that the show doesn't connect with them much.

On that, I think in this episode, they may have dodged the main issue a little bit, but definitely brought up a useful point - to consider it from everyone's point of view. I almost might have liked to see more focus on what happened at the end - one person standing up for others. In my experience, that is the one thing that crushes a bully's confidence more than anything else. There's no way to -make- that happen when you need it, but the more you attempt to relate to others, and feel for their side of things (it definitely took guts for them to decide to save a bully who had ruined their lives) the more likely you are to have allies.

1 person likes this

I don't think bronies are too negative about the CMC anymore. I remember back around the time just after Show Stoppers was released, people were pretty jaded towards the Crusaders, but it looks as though they've grown on the fanbase. I mean, just look at how many bronies you can find gushing over how cute Sweetie Belle is.

Personally I've always liked the Crusaders, in fact I consistently find myself enjoying their episodes more than the ones that star Twilight and company. Rainbro Dash nailed it in one of his posts when he said that the Crusaders are interesting and fun because they're still developing, as opposed to the mane six who already have their own traits and personality quirks. The Crusaders are more like blank canvases that the writers get to keep adding more and more on to.

Edited by Sgt. Fly
2 people like this

Very true Katana, you've gotta keep the series going after all lol. I really liked the fact that they turned around in the end and realized they were the ones being bullies. That showed more depth of character and reinforced the positive lessons they are trying to push for in the show. The positive lessons and the character development are the main reasons I keep watching the show after all. Not to mention the community!

@ SGT Fly - I too have always liked the CMC. The blank canvass metaphor is probably the best way I've heard someone describe them actually. Overall I have noticed the Crusaders seem to be growing on the fans and winning over some old neighsayers...

Hey, regardless of whether you like the CMC or not... Truth of the matter is S2 CMC episodes /were/ filler... Not much happened, they weren't of the same caliber as the other episodes, it was really just a matter of "We need additional episodes to stretch out the others... Quick, get my the CMC"

With that said, episode 4 was actually much better... It felt a little better planned out and executed... It definitely gives a little hope towards the CMC becoming more than just filler characters... They still have farther to go, but I think they're getting there...

(and no, I don't hate the CMC... I just hate episodes that don't have much purpose)

I never hated them either. I thought the Gabby Gums plot was among the best they made in the past. They should keep using them to explore venues that can't be done with the adult ponies, even if so far they have just done typical issues like bullying or peer pressure.

I don't hate the CMC, I quite enjoy the three as characters when they compliment the main characters. But I can see why some don't enjoy the episodes that are dedicated to just them, because it means less time with the characters we do enjoy. In a 13 episode season, there isn't much of that time to go around. Seems some people blame the CMC for the reasons we might get less Fluttershy, or less AppleJack or others.