topeka

Star Trek

77 posts in this topic

This thread is to discuss all things Star Trek. From the first pilot all the way to the new movie. I have a tribble, some romulan ale, and a cranky horta but alas thats for later. The most important thing is to have a good time and also not to owe money to the Orion syndicate. And now I make my exit, I need to catch my shuttle for Risa...

Live long and prosper,

batlh maHegh.

Did you ever get around to playing the new Star Trek Online MMO? I bought it when it went on sale on Steam since I heard that it was going free to play, and I was disappointed from the start once I realized that it was all based around the movie reboot and canon changes. =/

BTW, not to derail this with pony talk, but this episode of MLP totally made me think of The Trouble With Tribbles!

Star Trek rulz. I've seen every episode of TOS, TNG, and DS9 in order. Did it during 2 weeks when I was sick with a deadly illness. Star Trek saved my life.

My family isn't much into Star Trek. They think it's weird. I myself saw on old movie a few years ago, I believe shortly after we got our power back after Hurricane Ike rolled through Houston.I don't remember which one it was though. I would love to see more of the old movies though. I really like the new movie as well.

After Ike came through and we got our power back, we we're flipping through channels, and even though my mother wasn't into star trek she thought she'd leave it there. So I didn't think it'd be all that great, seeing as my parents weren't into it. I was wrong. And that's where my love for it began. I'm a Sci-Fi nut. So most science fiction I like. Not all, but most.

I actually did a bit of work on a Star Trek game. It was part of a thesis project I had to do, and one of my professors (Prof Lee Sheldon, who you might know as a writer on Stak Trek: Next Generation) put a couple students on his team to do some minor writing tasks.

http://en.startrek-is.com/

Actually, I've kind of been trying to track down a credits page for the game to see if my name got on it. If anyone plays the game and finds the credits, tell me so I know where to look, please!

I'v missed out on most of the Star Trek series. I've seen a few episodes of Next Generations, I watched the reboot movie that came out not to long ago(Awesome), I watched a little of Ds9 before I realized it was extremely dull. I did however successfully watch through Voyager which is my favorite out of what I've seen of ST

That's kind of funny. I haven't seen it and so don't really have an opinion, but most people say they don't like Voyager very much.

Yeah I know a number of trekkies and they always seem to say Voyager sucks. I really enjoyed it though, I loved alot of the characters (The Doctor being a personal favorite) and I dunno, I just thought the show went a lot better then what I've seen from other ST series.

Everybody loves the Doctor from Voyager--well the people who don't hate Voyager in general.

The Original Series from the 60s is the only series that I've sat all the way through. It's pretty fun stuff if a bit dated, though somehow that makes it all the charming. I really love The Next Generation (Worf is awesome), but that series went on so long that I have a hard time committing to and watching the entire series.

Anyone watch How William Shatner Changed the World? Pretty fascinating documentary if you ask me, and Shatner being the person that he is makes the perfect host.

Did you ever get around to playing the new Star Trek Online MMO? I bought it when it went on sale on Steam since I heard that it was going free to play, and I was disappointed from the start once I realized that it was all based around the movie reboot and canon changes. =/

BTW, not to derail this with pony talk, but this episode of MLP totally made me think of The Trouble With Tribbles!

I too was disappointed by the Star Trek MMO for more reasons then even that :) That topic can set me off into Soapbox Mode, so I limit to two simple complaints. I hated the fact that they doubled back on the lore, and Klingons and the Federation were at war again--That kinda flew in the face of the entire 6th movie, The Undiscovered Country, which was the best movie in my opinion. I also hated how all players were captains, when the shows always focused on one captain and his/her crew. Before Cryptic got their hands on the game, the idea was that Captain was a special presige class that anyone could technically obtain but was ultimately kinda hard, I guess a bit like Jedi in the Star Wars Galaxies, though to the same degree of overkill.

Also, yes! Swarm of the Century did remind me of Trouble with Tribbles. As soon as that first Parasprite ate that entire barrel of apples I just knew it was going to multiply like crazy. Then I thought, "Hey, that's like that one Star Trek episode. I wonder is Lauren Faust is a Star Trek fan?"

. . .I have this strange feeling that my last statement is going to spawn a Star Trek/My Little Pony crossover fanfic, if it hasn't already been done that is. . .

Edited by Rainbro Dash

Star Trek Online was really disappointing. I do agree that the idea of a new Klingon/Fed war was a bad idea. But I havent been involved with it since the beta so I dont know if they have changed anything since then.

But back to talking about the tv series I have started watching Voyager. I have 3 episodes of the 2nd season left to watch. So far it is my least favorite series. I do enjoy the Doctor and some of the other characters. I dont really care for Harry Kim or Torres though.

Seven of Nine and the Doctor totally made Voyager for me. I especially loved Kim's puppy dog crush on Seven. X3

I know that most people hated Kim and his portrayal of Asians, but I thought he was adorable. D=

Also, speaking of Star Trek Online: I noticed a strange charge on my credit card today by ATARI.COM/CS CA. Turns out that when I bought the game and played it during the free trial, they kept my credit card information and charged me $14.99 starting this month for... I don't know what. I mean didn't this game go F2P? I feel kind of cheesed off about it because there was never any indication while registering and signing up for my trial that they were setting me up to be charged automatically. I also played this game for only a day before deciding that it was awful (lore-wise, gameplaye-wise) and never touching it again.

The worst part is that when I tried to login to change my subscription, it asked for a login name instead of an e-mail address. I knew the e-mail and password that I registered with, but I couldn't for the life of me remember my login name. They give you an option to recover your password yet there is no option for logging in with an e-mail address or recovering your actual login name. I must have spend twenty minutes going through variations of different aliases I commonly use before I stumbled upon the correct one and was able to login to delete my credit card. *sigh*

Definitely won't be going anywhere near Star Trek Online again after that ordeal.

No, STO is still subscription based. And it uses microtransactions on top of that. Its awful.

You guys should get used to microtransactions, as they are more than likely the future that gaming is headed toward. Especially for PC multiplayer games where some players care about having a cool looking hat to show off.

I'm not familiar with Star Trek Online, but I think (and hope) the people behind Infinite Space did a better job. They were kind of slow in development until they got bought out halfway through the project.

Edited by Kino

Speaking of Star Trek. Without spoiling anything for anyone who watched that Discord video... Oh my I don't think you could get any closer to a crossover :x

I've seen all of TNG, some of TOS, and even less of DS9. I got into Babylon 5 right after I started DS9, because I have a short attention span. Both shows start slowly. And my preference is always going to be TNG. Data is my main imaginary squeeze. :) Also, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is my favorite TOS movie. TNG Movie favorite has to be Nemesis, but only because I love what they did with B-4. I bawled otherwise.

I enjoy the universe, I love the characters. But some of the actors piss me off. Like Bill Shatner. His latest wife is from Zionsville. That's pretty close to a city I lived in for a long time. And I've heard personal accounts of how much he's like Capt. Kirk. The picture that's captioned, "I'm sorry, but I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am?" That's Bill Shatner. On the other hand, George Takei is a huge LGBTQ rights activist. He's even lent his own NAME to the cause. "It's okay to be Takei." People like Brent Spiner are why I have hope for celebrities. Great work outside of the medium that made them SUPER famous.

Edited by newschoollibrarian

Ahh, memories... I used to watch Star Trek with my brothers. We would gather 'round the tube on Saturday night, and record the episodes aired on Public television. They would play three or four every week. I loved the original, but just couldn't get into the next generation. I think it was too political and involved and I was just a kid. At least I'm not totally in the dark when it comes to talking to trekkies, which include most of my family and friends.