Cha

A Disgusting Event: Sandy Hook Elementary's Shooting

104 posts in this topic

Twenty-seven are dead, including 20 children and several staff members, after a 20-year-old opened fire school at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., according to a law official with knowledge of the attack. The gunman has been declared dead on the scene.

http://www.washingto...mentary/?897098

Shootings are getting worse and worse. It's all disgusting how someone can kill people like this. And not just people, it's a bunch of children now. Explain your thoughts here of what happened.

Edited by Unlimitedcha

It's been indicated by Adam Lanza's brother, Ryan Lanza, that he was believed to have a personality disorder and was "somewhat autistic".

The fact that there have been so many shootings this year and that most of the shooters were found to be in poor mental health means two things: the feds need to ramp up gun control and provide better services for people with mental disorders, not just for the safety of the would-be shooter, but also for the safety of those around them. Other countries have already did exactly that, so what's keeping us from doing the same?

4 people like this

Jesus... I don't know what to say. Struck a bit to close to home this (or however that saying goes).

Edited by Nikki Lyra

You are right about one thing, these shootings are getting worse and are more common than ever.

Did anyone hear also that the guy killed his mother who use to work there? It's strange, he must have had a thing against the school.

It's been indicated by Adam Lanza's brother, Ryan Lanza, that he was believed to have a personality disorder and was "somewhat autistic".

The fact that there have been so many shootings this year and that most of the shooters were found to be in poor mental health means two things: the feds need to ramp up gun control and provide better services for people with mental disorders, not just for the safety of the would-be shooter, but also for the safety of those around them. Other countries have already did exactly that, so what's keeping us from doing the same?

BETTER YET. how about you amend the fucking Bill of Rights already. the right to bear arms can easily be blamed for stuff like this. the fact that EVERYONE can own a gun is stupid. you should have to go through an ass ton of testing to be legally aloud to carry a gun. families whom have member with mental disabilities shouldn't be allowed. etc etc et fucking cetera.

I'm disgusted by this whole thing. twenty children's lives were cut super short because of this. and the gunman killed himself, so now we can't get a direct motive for the whole thing either. we can only speculate.

Edited by Lord Fluffy

BETTER YET. how about you amend the fucking declaration of independence already. the right to bear arms can easily be blamed for stuff like this. the fact that EVERYONE can own a gun is stupid. you should have to go through an ass ton of testing to be legally aloud to carry a gun. families whom have member with mental disabilities shouldn't be allowed. etc etc et fucking cetera.

I'm disgusted by this whole thing. twenty children's lives were cut super short because of this. and the gunman killed himself, so now we can't get a direct motive for the whole thing either. we can only speculate.

Connecticut already has strict gun and weaponry regulations, but the guns were legally purchased by his mother in New Jersey, which doesn't have gun laws as strict as Connecticut. Why a kindergarten teacher would need guns, I don't know, but her ownership of the guns ended up being her - and her family's, and even some of her own students' - undoing.

I'd say it's time to adopt gun regulations as strict as Connecticut nationwide, but whether or not they'll be effective is debatable.

Connecticut already has strict gun and weaponry regulations, but the guns were legally purchased by his mother in New Jersey, which doesn't have gun laws as strict as Connecticut. Why a kindergarten teacher would need guns, I don't know, but her ownership of the guns ended up being her - and her family's, and even some of her own students' - undoing.

I'd say it's time to adopt gun regulations as strict as Connecticut nationwide, but whether or not they'll be effective is debatable.

the bold is entirely the point. you don't need a reason, you just go somewhere with not that good of gun regulations, buy a gun and that's it. and that's the point i'm making.

1 person likes this

This guy showed a history of mental sickness. People who are this seriously sick in the head should not be aloud to be walking the streets like this. These peeps should be watched like a hulk.

guns are a necessary defense in the world we live in. Tighter gun control for every citizen of the united states is not the answer. These creeps shouldn't be aloud to walk the streets, let alone buy anything without a some sort guy watching what they purchase or have in their household. They knew that he was sick in the head and they let him walk about anyway. These guys should not be given that opportunity, this is not the first case of a sicko shooting everyone is it not? They should not see the light of day.

Yes ponyville, i have an opinion. Deal with it.

The sad truth is, however, that making it harder to get guns legally won't stop this kind of behavior.

Hell, If it were up to me, we'd destroy the entire world's supply of guns and use the materials for more useful machinery. I hate everything about guns. But it's like making alcohol illegal. It'll only keep the good guys from having guns. One comment I saw on Obama's speech on Youtube was "If just one person was able to conceal a gun on themselves, the shooter could have been stopped in his tracks." A... crude way of putting it, and I'm sure there are ways to better prevent shootings from getting this far, but it's a point that needs to be analyzed. What if one of the staff of the school were able to stop this man? There's certainly no guarantee that they would have saved anyone, but they would have stood a chance against this guy, which is something that most people don't have these days.

1 person likes this

Gun control isn't the problem, the guns were stolen.

If someone isn't mentally fit enough to live independently, don't put them in a position where they can do something like this.

I used to think that the gun laws we had were good enough, but now, seeing shooting after shooting unfold, I'm beginning to realize that gun control should be ramped up a bit more.

However, this is not all about guns, infact this is more about mental health. Each and every one of these shootings were committed by mentally ill people. Heck, if you look around you can see just how bad the mental health of America is. A lot of people are very stressful, this results in selfishness, anger and depression. It's just obvious that we need to adopt better mental health services.

This tragedy also reminds us about the responsibility that comes with gun ownership. As Daring said, this guy got his guns from his mother. How did this guy get all of these guns from his mother without her knowing or finding out? This very fact is the reason why I'm making it a point to lock up my gun a lot more securely now.

Yes, because history has shown time after time that putting MORE regulations on things will make it better.

Prohibition was a good example of how MORE regulations made LESS people use Alcohol.

Yup...

And I also want to point out that the 2nd Amendment was NOT meant to carry around guns and get guns wherever.

The 2nd Amendment is actually useless nowadays since it's purpose was to allow the citizens to form a Militia should it be needed, but we don't need this kind of stuff anymore.

Frankly, doing anything to the gun control laws would be about as useless as a DVD Rewinder.

2 people like this

well, that sucks.

if Abraham Lincoln were still president, none of this would've happened.

What I said. There are already countries with tight gun control in response to school shootings (e.g. the UK, Australia, Japan) and they've had lowered shooting rates. However, as history has shown in the US with things like prohibition these regulations might not be as effective in the US as they are elsewhere.

Better mental health services are a definite, though. As someone with mental health issues myself, I'm a bit disappointed in how shoddy our current system is as it leads to completely avoidable things like this and they happen anyway, even though they could be avoided.

Edited by Daringineer
2 people like this

It's tragic on all sides. I have to wonder how much pain and suffering the shooter went through to get to that kind of breaking point?

And the tragedy may spread further now that the media has got wind of the shooter having Aspergers. Now I'm very glad the term Asperger's is getting retired next year anyway. Hopefully some of the inevitable stigma will vanish with it.

1 person likes this

I have to agree with stricter gun laws, especially after all this. As a example, in Norway we had that insanely terrible massacre, but it was a single case not seen since WW2 and hopefully never again, and we have practically no guns with citizens outside of some hunting rifles that is not easy to get a hold off without the proper papers. I read somewhere that about 90.000 or so people get shot every year in the US while in Norway we maybe have around 10-20 shootings a year, and never any massacres outside of the Breivik massacre, so I think that might be the way to go.

But also looking at mental health and schools in comparison, I think those are also very important to improve, especially on the mental health department. I heard people consider it even more difficult to talk about their problems over there than here, and if that is true then I can see why some people bottle up with insanity before going guncrazy.

All in all we need to find a way to stop this from repeating, and I'd say it wouldn't hurt to try and reduce the means to commit massacres with available. As seen many other places, everyone having gun isn't necessary to have peace remain.

Is it right to take away my right to a firearm just because someone else cannot handle it?

Find a fair way to make guns inaccessible to anyone who wants one, but should not have one. And while you are doing that, I will do something slightly more productive, like figure out how to solve a Rubick's cube.

And don't give me that "sacrifices have to be made" bullshit. I refuse to give up my rights just because someone else can't take it.

On a final note, what if they did ban guns? Like they did in china?

Well they'll find something else to hurt people with.

http://www.ryot.org/...ry-school/35114

I suppose a ban on knives is too silly, but maybe we should just make sure that nobody that is irresponsible with one can get one. Because that will fix the problem, right?

EDIT: also, Nikki I am quite curious what the firearm control laws are in Norway. If it is an effective system, which according to you produced results, I would like to know about it.

Edited by Sun Butt
1 person likes this

Well a difference there is that a knife is far less dangerous than a gun and I think all the kids survived that, which they did not in the shooting. Also China got just as bad mental health as the US from what I gathered, so stricter gun laws as well as better mental care could be the key to reduce murder as a whole I would say. Again, look at Norway, not even out police wear guns at a daily basis and we nearly never have any murders at all, especially not outside of the capital city.

It's also something about the mentality. Everyone have guns and everyone is a potential enemy, everyone is unarmed and everyone can be a potential friend (in my very own opinion there). It was two different protests going on today, one with extremists who want all immigrants to fuck off and another protesting extremism. No violence at all. That is pretty remarkable that two opposing factions can protest next to each other without any violent behavior.

Edited by Nikki Lyra

pointing to individual killing sprees is just anecdotal evidence. gotta show some statistics of how violence is affected as a whole.

WITHOUT THE DATA YOUR CHATTA DON'T MATTA

oh wait, none of the chinese kids died. USA number one!

As for gun control laws, no. Those don't work. I think that most states should have a bit stricter background checks however. But before anyone jumps on me by saying "OH NO! IF THERE ARE NO GUN CONTROL LAWS, THEN CRIMINALS WILL HAVE MORE GUNS!" no. That's irrelevant. Criminals get guns illegally. They don't sell Uzis for hunting purposes. Making laws will only affect the people who already follow them. Criminals don't give a shit about laws, hence why they are criminals.

1 person likes this

pointing to individual killing sprees is just anecdotal evidence. gotta show some statistics of how violence is affected as a whole.

WITHOUT THE DATA YOUR CHATTA DON'T MATTA

oh wait, none of the chinese kids died. USA number one!

Well according to this site (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms) US got about 9k firearm murders this year, while Norway doesn't even seem to be at the top 40 even, with the lowest on it being at 0, so there is that.

Also I can tell from personal experience that Norway is a pretty peaceful place to live. I might hate a lot about it, but it is a very safe place to live and probably the place to go for anyone worried about being harassed for their sexuality and identity.

And I would like it if we could refrain from childish insults in this debate. Thank you.

Keeping an eye on this thread.

Haze, cut the taunting. Malt, lay off the caps-lock. Fluffy, watch your temper.

Everyone please stay calm and don't get out of line. Rule of thumb. If you are feeling angry, don't post. It's that simple.