Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Collective Foal

Fallout 3

26 posts in this topic

So essentially, with this constantly being recommended as one of the best games ever made (and I don't think I'm going to disagree with this praise), I caved recently and bought Fallout 3 GOTY on Steam. I'm really excited to download and play this (once dad gives me back my Wireless Card), but I want to hear recommendations from any of you guys who have played the game as to any things I should keep in mind or tactics I should use while playing. Also, tell me your opinions on this game. Is it truly one of the best games you've ever played? (And please, use spoiler tags. I actually want to play the plot blind.)

If you're running Windows 7, expect to do some complicated workarounds to get it working without crashing all the time. I don't have F3 myself, but I've heard it's really unstable on Windows 7.

1 person likes this

Brah you should have asked us before buying. New Vegas is so much better and probably more stable.

FO3 is stil fun though, enjoy.

I recommend playing Fallout 1 and 2

Great for lore and super atmospheric. But do download the fan patches. Games are Buggy.

Fallout 3 still remains my favorite Bethesda game of all time despite its shortcomings. I still consider the stories and characters of that game to be far more memorable than Fallout: New Vegas (which is saying a lot considering all of the things that Fallout: New Vegas added to the series with its writing and faction system).

I tried to go back to Fallout 3 recently so that I could stream it on my Twitch.tv channel. However, I ran into the same issues that Daringineer described with Windows 7. The game would crash a lot and I had issues getting the radio and sound within the game to work properly. It is really unfortunate that Bethesda hasn't done more to optimize the game for Windows 7.

1 person likes this

It really is pretty good. I also do enjoy some elements of it more-so than the newer New Vegas tittle.

I did decide to keep this particular one on the console for reasons mentioned above. However, I do love a technical challenge so I might mess around with it on PC if I see it on one of Steams crazy bargain deals again.

General advice I would have would be always keep on the lookout for little details. I do remember quite a few boobie traps and other msc things that do tend to fade into the wasteland background. Don't be afraid to explore, but stay perceptive and alert to your surroundings.

If you go the "good" route, there are a few allies out there that can be really useful down the line, so be on the lookout for them.

Have Fun! 

Brah you should have asked us before buying. New Vegas is so much better and probably more stable.

More stable? In Fallout 3 I used to crash every now and again, in Fallout New Vegas I used to crash every time I died. Well not everytime, but close enough,

@Collective Foal

Expect a great game marred with bugs and crashes. If you've played any Bethesda games before this probably won't be surprising,but it will be infuriating at first. There may be patches online for them now, you should check that.

Playing it on Windows 7 isn't that much worse than playing it on earlier installments of Windows, so you should be fine. You'll get a lot of crashes either way. Yeah it's a fantastic game, so just go out and enjoy it.

Edited by le Whatever You Want

I barely crash on Win 7. I do remember having to do some tweaks but I haven't downloaded any special patches. Maybe I'm just AWESOME.

Anyway FO3 rules, haven't played New Vegas mostly coz I burnt myself out playing FO3 so much and while NV may or may not be better and more stable, it's still basically more of the same.

However, I ran into the same issues that Daringineer described with Windows 7. The game would crash a lot and I had issues getting the radio and sound within the game to work properly. It is really unfortunate that Bethesda hasn't done more to optimize the game for Windows 7.

According to Microsoft's official compatibility site, Fallout 3 works on Windows 8. However, since I don't use Windows 8 I can't verify this. I have some friends at college that have Windows 8, but only one has a proper gaming PC and I don't know if he has Fallout 3.

If I upgrade my PC to Windows 8, I will verify this. I doubt I'll be doing that soon though, trying to keep this PC on Windows 7 for as long as possible.

Thanks for so much feedback, guys. I actually have never played a Bethesda game before this and am unfamiliar with said crash problems. I'll make sure to save often, though. And I tend to get lucky with games that people always have problems with (hl2.exe has never stopped working for this man), but I won't let it get to me.

I've never seen the bethesda games as masterpieces. more as just great "time wasters"

Like, when i play Fallout 3, or  NV or skyrim or whatever, the question always comes up with "Am i having fun" to which the answer is. Yes. then the next question the comes is, "how much fun are you having?" to which the answer is. "enough to keep me playing." Fallout 3 has given me a fair share of time spent and wasted, but it's never really given me the same level of enjoyment as say something like Team fortress 2, or Half life. or other games with guns. It's not bad by any means, and totally worth the price considering how much time you can spend it in, but again, they're not masterpieces, just great "time wasters"

Also FYI, HL2.exe has crashed for me a total of one time. GET ON MY LEVEL.

FO3 works fine for me, tried compactability mode + run as admin?

If that doesn't work, try a cracked exe, those are sometimes optimalized for windows 7

FO3 works fine for me, tried compactability mode + run as admin? If that doesn't work, try a cracked exe, those are sometimes optimalized for windows 7

If I owned a copy of the game (for PC anyways), I have a program that can analyze the .exe and see if certain "flags" are set. There's certain flags that will improve stability of enabled properly.

You would figure these would be on by default, but I've noticed a lot are not for whatever reason.

Here's an idea; when going through the wastes, be sure to keep track of your ammunition, medical gear, armour, and if you have any followers arm them up to. When it comes to firearms the Combat Shotgun never ceases to give up on me in a firefight; twelve rounds of hell, all in one gun. Hunting Rifle's, and Assault Rifle's are another. If you're an energy weapons user, I suggest the Laser Weapons, even though they're weak and fast, would be a way to go; though, you said you had the GOTY, then head into Operation Anchorage and play through to then end, there'll be a unique energy weapon there. Armourwise, at first settle with some Leather Armour or the Armoured Vault 101 Suit; when you've advanced through the game, try to purchase some Combat Armour. Finally, when you've received training, gather up some T-45d Power Armour. Always keep an eye on your caps and radiation too; caps are hard to come by, and radiation is everywhere.

When gathering companions  I always get Charon at Underworld, though when you've progressed enough, and have Good Karma, you'll be able to get one amazing follower; Fawkes. Get Dogmeat as well, you've always got to have him. However, heading back to weapons, you'll need some ones that can really pack a punch; the Terrible Shotgun, Alien Blaster, Blackhawk, Lincoln's Repeater, Xulang Chinese Assault Rifle, and Ol' Painless are some prime examples of good weaponry. However, Alien Blaster ammo can only be found twice, in an Outcast base, and at the Alien crash site where you'll find the gun; and .44 Ammunition is rather hard to come by, so use Blackhawk and Lincoln's Repeater when you're really desperate.

I could say that you could use stashes, but that'd take a lot of time; I've done it, and it helped me for what I stored in those stashes. Here's a tip; even though he can offer help, never get Jericho; he wants 1000 Caps, so it's really not worth spending 1000 to get one follower.

Trust me, I've beaten FO3, and NV, loads of times, as well as 1, 2, and Tactics, I know what I'm doing.

Be sure to get the DLC, I don't know whether the GOTY edition already has it, but there are a few extra locations, missions, items and changes to the game.

In one of them you can get this weapon known as the "Metal Blaster" which, despite its ordinary appearance, is the most over powered weapon in the game by far (at least the ones I came across) and will annihilate everything. You won't ever need to use another weapon, seriously, its that broken. The DLC also makes Dogmeat and Fawkes practically indestructible.

Trust me, I've beaten Fallout 3 twice I know what I'm doing.

Edited by Whatever You Want

Chinese Stealth Suit + Silent Running = undetectable. A high stealth skill helps but isn't neccesary.

Nothing quite like cleaving a guy in half with a sword and his buddies not so much as batting an eyelash.

Chinese Stealth Suit + Silent Running = undetectable. A high stealth skill helps but isn't neccesary.

Nothing quite like cleaving a guy in half with a sword and his buddies not so much as batting an eyelash.

"Hey bro, you want to go get-"

*Notices friend cut in half*

"...Have you lost weight?"

Fallout 3 was a fantastic game, started out evil than found out about what you could get for being good so I switched over. Have it for xbox, might get it for PC, for mods.