Rainy

[Staff] Moderators - Explanations and Applications

654 posts in this topic

I'll have to agree with Jug here, it would solve for more of a way to gain the attention Moderators need to get across to players, so I say that could work, also I think changing the name to "MODERATOR" instead of "ADMIN" as Jug stated would be a pretty nice touch, that because if you're a friend of the Person breaking the rules, he/she could think you're joking around and take you lightly until you actually do something about that when you're using basic chat, or if the person knows you and also takes you lightly for the same reason. I think Jug's idea would be good.

Edited by Solar

Having a way to alert players more uniquely will hopefully cause them to take warnings more seriously. There have been situations where players try to act like we can't actually do anything to handle them.

Edited by Videogames380

Having a way to alert players more uniquely will hopefully cause them to take warnings more seriously. There have been situations where players try to act like we can't actually do anything to handle them.

Well like Raini said, the MOTD is all the warning you need. If they're incapable of looking up the rules than they deserve to get banned, no warning.

I am sensing a huge chip on your shoulder there skydragon.

Anyway, what about setting up an IRC with the correct plugins so admins/mods could monitor the servers without being on them all the time, and then when a report comes along they can talk to the people they need to through there directly?

Edited by LethargicGamer

I'd like to recommend this guy (He changes his Steam name often but he asks people to call him Ruby):

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:59333472

Steam Community URL: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198078932673/

This user has been a frequent player to both the New Jersey VSP and Texas VSP servers. He is usually on 7 hours a day (Aside from holidays) and has been a tremendous help when it comes to assisting moderators. If I am not currently on the server; He usually contacts me straight away of microphone/chat/sound spammers, hackers, players with NSFW sprays, mass friendlies, etc. Basically, he's like a second pair of eyes for me. This is really helpful for when I'm on NJ and he is on Texas.

As for how long he has been a part of our community; He started to become a frequent player within February. Judging by the way other player's on the servers talk to him; I would say is quite well known. He tries his best to please everyone by creating a positive atmosphere. As for the rules; He knows well of what he can and cannot do on the servers and respects the rules. If other players are breaking the rules; he will tell them that if they do not stop; he will bring the attention of a moderator.

So as you can see; I would like for him to become a moderator due to the reasons above. If anyone would like to discuss this further then go right ahead.

On an unrelated note: Reviving dead thread for a brief moment is quite fun saddening.

I'd like to recommend this guy (He changes his Steam name often but he asks people to call him Ruby):

This user has been a frequent player to both the New Jersey VSP and Texas VSP servers. He is usually on 7 hours a day (Aside from holidays) and has been a tremendous help when it comes to assisting moderators. If I am not currently on the server; He usually contacts me straight away of microphone/chat/sound spammers, hackers, players with NSFW sprays, mass friendlies, etc. Basically, he's like a second pair of eyes for me. This is really helpful for when I'm on NJ and he is on Texas.

As for how long he has been a part of our community; He started to become a frequent player within February. Judging by the way other player's on the servers talk to him; I would say is quite well known. He tries his best to please everyone by creating a positive atmosphere. As for the rules; He knows well of what he can and cannot do on the servers and respects the rules. If other players are breaking the rules; he will tell them that if they do not stop; he will bring the attention of a moderator.

So as you can see; I would like for him to become a moderator due to the reasons above. If anyone would like to discuss this further then go right ahead.

On an unrelated note: Reviving dead thread for a brief moment is quite fun saddening.

He also seems to get a grasp on an argument that would sometimes get out of control, and most of the time he is able to end it right away in a peaceful manner.  Also, do you, Fross, knows whenever he is on?  Because I think he is somehow adjusting himself to play during the daylight hours only because that lately I've only seen very few mods on during those hours through the witching hours, and because of this, this is sending a message to other players that they are able to do as they please because "the admins/mods don't care about these servers."  I'll see if I can find some people I can recommend here that can handle themselves of being a mod.

Jug has brought up very valid points about how easily abused csay could be if made available to every Moderator. There's a reason why only Admins have this command. However, I do like the idea of giving Moderators a bit more authority when issuing warnings by having access to csay.

There are Moderators who have been removed for abusing the vote command to make up silly or offensive votes. We could always impose a similar penalty for any Moderators who regularly abuse the csay function. This could be the tradeoff for giving access to this command to Moderators.

What do you all think of it?

EDIT: Now that I've fully read his post, I actually like Jug's suggestion of @ talk more. It would be better to test this out first before giving people access to csay.

1 person likes this

i think  

[bN] ♚King♚

will be a good mod because he is a very nice guy, he always respecting the rules and ik he will do a good job as a mod ^_^

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kingusajr/ 

thx for reading this :D

...he goes friendly nearly every match and soft spawns the moment the "last" player dies in a vsp round.

@NightmareNight,

I don't see how someone who abuses map glitches all the time, respawns in at the last minute to waste rounds, and (I suspect) of using his alt account to watch over the end of teleporters to get tele-frags, deserves to be a mod.

Saying that, I am however open to listening to other's opinion on the said subject..

I don't know why people like King, he's incredibly abusive and never seems to play the game legitimately.

He also seems to get a grasp on an argument that would sometimes get out of control, and most of the time he is able to end it right away in a peaceful manner.  Also, do you, Fross, knows whenever he is on?  Because I think he is somehow adjusting himself to play during the daylight hours only because that lately I've only seen very few mods on during those hours through the witching hours, and because of this, this is sending a message to other players that they are able to do as they please because "the admins/mods don't care about these servers."  I'll see if I can find some people I can recommend here that can handle themselves of being a mod.

I usually see him online throughout the day but there have been many times where at  7am GMT (I'm pretty sure that's 2am EST), he is still on the server. I try my best to stay awake to keep an eye on the server but when I do fall asleep, I'm sure Ruby has other moderators he can contact in case of an emergency. I think he contacts me first is because he knows I'll drop what I'm doing and I'll hop onto the server straight away.

If need be; I can stay up even later to keep an eye on one of the servers. It's a shame I can't be in two places at once.

I usually see him online throughout the day but there have been many times where at  7am GMT (I'm pretty sure that's 2am EST), he is still on the server. I try my best to stay awake to keep an eye on the server but when I do fall asleep, I'm sure Snowdrop has other moderators he can contact in case of an emergency. I think he contacts me first is because he knows I'll drop what I'm doing and I'll hop onto the server straight away.

If need be; I can stay up even later to keep an eye on one of the servers. It's a shame I can't be in two places at once.

Fixed.

It's amazing how some people are okay with exploits...

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/903249917287629023/4CDCEFC502DD62CC315CEF9BCC3D17ED1CABC368/

...Even though some of us are stuck waiting for the round to end.

Several mic and text messages earlier in the game, then a vote kick, and finally a vote ban. People love not listening...

And then there's people that argue FOR the exploiters? These votes barely passed... It was long enough too, considering one of them wasn't leaving an easter egg in Deathrun...

...I think more mods are in order.  Snowdrop/Saucy is still a person I can recommend.

I have added one new Moderator: Saucy

Moderators now have access to the following commands:

sm_say - Sends a say-chat message to all players in the chat window.
sm_hsay - Sends a message to all players via a center-bottom hint box that is not too obtrusive.

These functions are not to be abused with silly messages.

They are only to be a used as a means of getting the attention of players to warn them.

Dr.Colgate is the best choice. He is always online and always tries to uphold the rules.

He would keep the mic spamming down, and would report all players who break the rules.

I don't have much to say, but he is the best.

STEAM_0:0:45523623

Love, Freaking Gravity

ive seen how dr.colgate acts around people and i dont think he'd make a good mod because ive seen him being biased to his friends

Dr.Colgate is the best choice. He is always online and always tries to uphold the rules.

He would keep the mic spamming down, and would report all players who break the rules.

I don't have much to say, but he is the best.

STEAM_0:0:45523623

Love, Freaking Gravity

tumblr_llyoftanLQ1qda8na.gif

3 people like this

There's an issue with moderator commands right now; Vote mutes and silences are not performing as intended: They seem to end within a round (sometimes on round change). I'm not sure about other commands as of now, but these two are not reaching their intended durations.

Anybody who could look into this I would love forever (in a friendly way).

There's an issue with moderator commands right now; Vote mutes and silences are not performing as intended: They seem to end within a round (sometimes on round change). I'm not sure about other commands as of now, but these two are not reaching their intended durations.

"Friendly" is not a word best viewed in VSP.

"Friendly" is not a word best viewed in VSP.

At least to 90% of the people. The last 9% don't care, and 1% are trying to be friendly.

But yeah, took four votes until the mute lasted the full map duration; Then took another two the next map. It's weird how it was happening though, seemingly muting them, but providing random points where they were allowed to speak through their mute.