Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Urban Zombie

Equestria Girls Poll

Equestria Girls   60 members have voted

1. 1. What is your initial reaction to news of the Equestria Girls spin-off?

• Looks great! I can't wait to see it!
    • I'm hopeful it will turn out well.
    • Pure neutral.
    • I'm skeptical, but will give it a try.
    • Worst! Possible! Thing!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

351 posts in this topic

I'm genuinely interested to see everyone's initial reaction to the news that FiM will be getting a spin-off/re-imagining called Equestria Girls, which makes the Mane 6 humans in a high school setting. Myself, I think it sounds cliched and I wonder if the all-ages appeal will be lost. However, I was initially skeptical of FiM and wound up pleasantly surprised, so I am open to the possibility that it might turn out well.

For those looking for context: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/02/mlp-spin-off-series-confirmed-rumor.html

I shall remain neutral until I get more information. It can be completely awful and as long as it's a spin off I won't care in the slightest. If it's good, then neat. 

Scary thought of the day. Think they'll find boyfriends?

1 person likes this

I shall remain neutral until I get more information. It can be completely awful and as long as it's a spin off I won't care in the slightest. If it's good, then neat. 

Scary thought of the day. Think they'll find boyfriends?

Of course, it wouldn't live up to the cliché that is is if they are not all boy crazy

I'm waiting for the official announcement, I don't entirely trust these "leaks" so far

2 people like this

I remain skeptical, but I will genuinely give it a try.

Hell, unless it's overwhelmingly god-awful I'll likely watch it all the way through. But I do hope that I will be pleasantly surprised.

If it's really happening, then I might watch it. 

The only thing that bothers me is the way they look. They should look like I don't know...normal people? The skin tones are creeping me out. They seem pretty recognizable with the outfits anyway.

My biggest issue with the art is the faces. . .some of them are chubby in really weird and creepy ways. I wish they had recruited Faust to design the characters at least--she knows how to draw genuinely cute without going into the grotesque "psuedo-cute" that Hasbro hits on occasion.

I think the only thing that's remotely true here is the idea. 99% sure any artwork is speculative.

Not looking forward to the social justice bloggers on the skintones if they turn out to be realistic. Also not looking forward to skintones at all really. I prefer race ambiguous and up to interpretation for characters that don't have it already defined.

There is only one spin-off series that I want to see

27808+-+Bonbon+Doctor_Whoof+Lyra+Octavia

and then hasbro ignores the fanon of these characters and people cry ruined forever

3 people like this

Seems like a marketing scheme to me. 

"Well golly Sam, I heard you watch ponies! Well do I have something for you! Ponies becoming human! What do you say?!"

Expected Response from herp derps producing the show: "I wanna buy all your stupid spin-off series crap!"

2 people like this

I'm completely neutral. It's not canon, nor will either series cross over in any way, so I don't exactly see what makes it so bad. If you honestly don't like it, just do what I'm gonna do and ignore it. Simple as that.

Also, this is extremely true:

eqghypocrysy.PNG

Edited by Daringineer
4 people like this

Really? C`mon. As a fandom we've been anthropomorphizing ponies since the beginning. Hardly anyone complained.

Uh, no.

Completely different dynamic.

I don't think many people are upset about the "Ponies as Humans" thing. They're upset about the "Ponies as Humans in Highschool". Hell, I think people might have been a bit upset if it was just a spin-off of plain ol` ponies in high-school--no humans involved.

High-School is/was a horrible place for many people. Especially for the non-popular and social outcasts like myself. It's a place where all of the superficial and offensive values of adult society as well as the immaturity of children meet, and the volume gets turned up to 11. Fuck High-school.

Granted, a slice-of-life story about some people in high-school *can* be done well. But it would have to be a story about interesting characters and their daily trials and growth and so on. Where as most High-school based stories are cliched idolizing of the popular crowd (i.e. the people media thinks everyone wants to be.)

/rant

4 people like this

All I can say is that I remain skeptical, and I dread the day we get R34 from this. The mane 6 is supposed to be in their early 20's/18 and up, so yeah the high school setting really worries me.