woodledoodledoodledoodle

What's your favourite word?

31 posts in this topic

I like defenestrate.

Read it in a book.

I thought it was funny that the Bohemians would be upset enough to want to throw people out windows, and that there were to seperate occasions of it 200 years apart.

Any word that flows well when used in a sentence and makes it sound nice/nice to say.

So "Nevertheless", "Ergo" and "Consequence" here.

Simple words, but sound nice.

Dogma

It just reminds me of a mutated dog and it's real definition is something you would never need to use unless you are telling someone off or trying to sound smart.

"Hooray"! It's so innocent and simple. I really like how they say it in one SpongeBob episode.

Edited by Prince Gumball

Mine is a tie between Discombobulate or Cloaca. Discombobulate because of it's use of syllables and definition, and Cloaca because of it's pronunciation and spelling.

Of course, Discombobulate is more appropriate to use in social situations, so I'll have to go with Discombobulate

Apetit.

Probly not even a real word, but I remember a SNL sketch (one of the celebrity Jeopardy parodies) where one of the categries was 'a petit dijionaire', and Burt Reynolds (played by Norm Macdonald) chose "That one, Apetit"

Whenever I hear that word, or even think it, I giggle a bit.

Asshat. I think the first time I heard it that I can remember is playing L4D2 and I heard Nick say it. It has become my insult of choice since then. I also like the sound of the word.

Mine is an unusual one, "sorry". I get why it annoys some people, but I find it to be a beautiful word that exemplifies the importance of remorse and humility.

For some reason I expected someone to say a dirty word. I guess I was wrong.

I like words that sound powerful. Absolution, epiphany, and dystopia are examples.

I find the tales games tend to have nice sounding words in their names. Symphonia, Vesperia, Phantasia, Destiny, etc etc.

1 person likes this

Vacation.

For one, because vacations are awesome.

For another, because one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life was a Japanese guy trying to pronounce it (it sounded like "bay-kay-shawn"). Trying to teach a native Japanese speaker to pronounce a "v" is like trying to teach a bear to ride a motorcycle. Both things are possible, but very difficult, because bears just don't ever need to ride motorcycles and they're not really equipped in a lot of ways to do so easily, much like Japanese people never ever need to pronounce words with a "v" in them.

Though I guess the end result of those two activities is really different; if you teach a Japanese person to say a "v" it's actually less entertaining to hear them pronounce words, whereas there's really nothing better than a bear riding a motorcycle. Oh well.

Also, "DVD" is a close runner up for similar reasons. They say "dee-bwea-dee" and it's adorable.

1 person likes this

Vacation.

For another, because one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life was a Japanese guy trying to pronounce it (it sounded like "bay-kay-shawn"). Trying to teach a native Japanese speaker to pronounce a "v" is like trying to teach a bear to ride a motorcycle. Both things are possible, but very difficult, because bears just don't ever need to ride motorcycles and they're not really equipped in a lot of ways to do so easily, much like Japanese people never ever need to pronounce words with a "v" in them.

Though I guess the end result of those two activities is really different; if you teach a Japanese person to say a "v" it's actually less entertaining to hear them pronounce words, whereas there's really nothing better than a bear riding a motorcycle. Oh well.

Also, "DVD" is a close runner up for similar reasons. They say "dee-bwea-dee" and it's adorable.

This so much. One tried to say my (real) last name. I am apparently "Baw-ga-noo-san".

Vacation.

And because of this song.

For some reason I expected someone to say a dirty word. I guess I was wrong.

My word is sort of close to condom, if that helps.

Bogan (pronounced boh-gun). For anyone who isn't aware, it's an Australian slang term basically meaning white trash. Personally I find that it makes any sentence funnier.