Tribalmans Shiv Shahanshah Sniper Melee

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 20stalks

20stalks

Wonderbolt

• Bronies

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

All I know is that the Tribalman's Shiv is good for revealing spies, while the Shahanshah's melee boost is useful when in a pinch.

But I have no clue which one is truly better; that is why I made this thread.

So what do all of you think? Which one do you think is better? Or are they equally good, depending on situation and playing style?

#2 Hooker Punch

Hooker Punch

Cutie Mark Crusader

• 20% Cooler

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

Kukris goes
Shahanshah>Bushwacka>Kukri>Tribalman's Shiv.

Ultimately, you shouldn't be meleeing as a sniper and the 'shah gives the best bonus, since if you're in melee combat, you've probably taken damage already.
Bushwacka is good in conjunction with Jarate. Fun Fact: Activated Shahanshah minicrits deal enough damage to one-shot 125 classes.
Kukri is worse than the other two simply because it doesn't have added abilities.
Shiv is bad. Bleed is pretty worthless since healthkits & medics heal it off, and it only deals more damage than the kukri if you get all six seconds of bleed. Plus, tf2 is all about spot damage--damage over time is generally bad(see: heavy's minigun, pyro's flamethrower). I only use it if I'm going my troll spec(Huntsman/Jarate/Shiv).

#3 Rainbro Dash

Rainbro Dash

Tyrant, Despot, and Destroyer of Free-Will

• 20% Cooler

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

I use the Bushwacka, as it pairs perfectly with Jarate.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right–for you’ll be criticized anyway. —Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 Scootsy Wootsy Woona Time

Scootsy Wootsy Woona Time

The Omni Pony

• 20% Cooler

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

I use nothing but my Shahanshah. It crits when I need it to and the extra bonus to damage is definitely worth it.

As most snipers don't do is use their knife effectively, and instead try to go with their rifle or SMG for close encounters.
However for me as sniper, using the loadout:

Croc Shield
Shah
Bazaar

I have adapted to using my knife very well. This means I 50/50 knife and rifle.(Meaning I use both as equally as the other)
Now this may not sound very efficient, but all you need to know are tricks and the right timing to take anyone out regardless of class. (Still talking about using the knife)
There isn't much more I can explain about how I use my knife effectively. So you'll just have to see it..

#5 Madame LeFlour™

Madame LeFlour™

Blank Flank

• Bronies

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:02 AM

that combination always works.

The Bushwacka is the best kukri for me, if not, the Shahanshah

#6 Hooker Punch

Hooker Punch

Cutie Mark Crusader

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

that combination always works.

The Bushwacka is the best kukri for me, if not, the Shahanshah

My problem with the bushwacka is that Shahanshan has a much more useful passive ability, unreliant on Jarate. Plus, as I noted, a buffed-Shahanshah minicrit deals 125 damage, more than enough to kill most things that get to you as sniper. In 90% of cases, the Shah's lack of fire vulnerability will help more than the Bushwacka's.

#7 TwilightPixel

TwilightPixel

Wonderbolt

• News Ponies

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

I always go with SMG and Shah for my 2nd and melee. If I'm meleeing something, I've undoubtedly already been hit, so the damage bonus is nice.

#8 20stalks

20stalks

Wonderbolt

• Bronies

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

I knew the Bushwacka was going to be brought up!
Frankly, I think it is the best one.

My problem with the bushwacka is that Shahanshan has a much more useful passive ability, unreliant on Jarate. Plus, as I noted, a buffed-Shahanshah minicrit deals 125 damage, more than enough to kill most things that get to you as sniper. In 90% of cases, the Shah's lack of fire vulnerability will help more than the Bushwacka's.

You made a fine point, but it is rare that you would get the buff and still be alive to kill someone. It requires you to be low health and if you are already that low, you might quickly be dead. Granted, you have a higher chance of winning in a melee one on one.

Bushwacka is good as you can jarate a bunch of people and then charge in and hit them all. You do not have to wait till you take a lot of damage to kill.

The lack of fire vulnerability doesn't matter. If a Pyro gets to you, you might as well be dead aready.

Edited by Dellobow, 01 November 2011 - 02:16 AM.

#9 Hooker Punch

Hooker Punch

Cutie Mark Crusader

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:31 AM

Right, I might already be dead. But, you must also consider that a sniper should not be meleeing unless it's a last resort and, in that case, you probably have taken a rocket to the face already.

#10 20stalks

20stalks

Wonderbolt

• Bronies

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

Well I guess it depends on how you play Sniper. While snipping, I see people are begging to get Meleed if they are unaware/distracted by something else. I just throw jarate at them and profit.

You have taken a rocket, so you are weak. If someone comes up to you, you better pray that they don't range you or get the first melee hit that will kill you.

Edited by Dellobow, 01 November 2011 - 02:38 AM.

#11 Hooker Punch

Hooker Punch

Cutie Mark Crusader

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:09 AM

I'm screwed anyway if they decide to outrange me. Nothing I can do about that.

#12 Robo

Robo

Trust me and we will Escape from the City!

• Bronies

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

I use my strange Bushwaka with the Jarate. I rarley use the Shiv. Sometimes I'll use the Shanshasha, but not too much.

Wii U: Robogaman

#13 Scootsy Wootsy Woona Time

The Omni Pony

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:14 AM

I don't know, you guys saying about a sniper being automatically damaged while already in melee range isn't always true. Almost 100% the time when I am in melee range of an enemy I'm not already damaged, because I don't tunnel vision like most snipers do.

Try me when I'm on the SERVER playing sniper, you'll see. (accidentally put sniper instead of "server")

#14 Hooker Punch

Hooker Punch

Cutie Mark Crusader

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

Now, you aren't always damaged, but it's more likely you are. Sniper, by definition, is estranged from the battlefield.

#15 TwilightPixel

TwilightPixel

Wonderbolt

• News Ponies

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

Try me when I'm on the sniper playing sniper, you'll see.

You'll never see me coming. /me straightens tie. lights cig.

When I'm jumped as a sniper, but not taken while scoped in, I whip out the SMG. Don't have to be in melee range for it to be effective. The Shah is more situational for me, depends on the class I'm up against and whether they're staying close or keeping away.

I agree jarate / bushwaka is probably an awesome combo for a huntsman sniper, or a pop shot sniper who is closer to the front line.

#16 Rainbro Dash

Rainbro Dash

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

Yesterday, I took out an oblivious Heavy/Medic with the Jarate/Bushwacka combo. I may have been doing it wrong by meleeing as sniper, but they were in my way!

Edited by Rainbro Dash, 01 November 2011 - 04:14 PM.

Do what you feel in your heart to be right–for you’ll be criticized anyway. —Eleanor Roosevelt

#17 Hooker Punch

Hooker Punch

Cutie Mark Crusader

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Yesterday, I took out an oblivious Heavy/Medic with the Jarate/Bushwacka combo. I may have been doing it wrong by meleeing as sniper, but they were in my way!

No, you weren't doing it wrong: they were.

#18 Scootsy Wootsy Woona Time

The Omni Pony

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

The main idea that snipers need to know what NOT to do, is just don't tunnel vision. If you don't tunnel vision and be aware of your surroundings more then the other team will have a hard time getting to you.

Which is why if someone is in melee range, I CHOOSE to confront them with melee, because I know I can kill them. Always being aware of your surroundings is very crucial to be a good sniper.

Now, I can go on about how I pull off killing someone who's in melee range or that I put them in melee range, but that will take a long explanation.

My main pet peeve on TF2 is snipers who stand there scoped in, fixed on one area. Completely unaware of what is going on around them. Just makes me want to slap them in the face.

#19 Rainbro Dash

Rainbro Dash

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

Now, I can go on about how I pull off killing someone who's in melee range or that I put them in melee range, but that will take a long explanation.

Please do explain; Sniper is my 2nd best class, but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

#20 Hooker Punch

Hooker Punch

Cutie Mark Crusader

• 20% Cooler

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

If it's what Sarge and I talk about, the main point is you shouldn't flail randomly around with your knife.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tribalmans Shiv, Shahanshah, Sniper, Melee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!