Pixel Grip

I've Just Played [Video Game] And It Was [Opinion]

18 posts in this topic

So after seeing Cinnamon Groove do this with movies, I thought to myself "Why hasn't anypony done this same topic for games yet?" Well instead of looking for the answer to that question, I decided to start the thread myself.

Basically, the rules are the same as the movie version of this thread:

- Play a game

- Display your opinion about it as well as why you felt that way if you feel the need to describe such info (details are very much encouraged)

- Post description(s) in spoiler blocks if you deem it necessary*

*For those of you who don't know how to do spoilers (like me before this site), you basically put [ and with "spoiler" in between in front of your spoiler text and then you put [ and ] with "/spoiler" after your spoiler text. And no, it doesn't have to be put in bold.

The final rule is one that I believe most bronies will follow regardless of me posting it, but just in case: Love and Tolerate. This is a forum for opinions to be posted and read, not to be critiqued upon. If you read a post where you disagree with the opinion stated there, keep the disagreement to yourself and consider the other person's point of view instead. Thank you /)

Just to get the ball rolling, I thought I'd do a slight demonstration of sorts where I "critique" one if the last games I've played.

I've just played Final Fantasy XIII and I thought that it was a very well done game. I loved the battle system and the strategy that was required for killing the enemies in the game and was immensely satisfied with the ending of game as well as how the game focused on the characters and their relationships with each other rather than one sole character.

Although the game was fantastic, it did have it's share of problems. I felt that the main problem was that the game dragged on during certain parts like

traversing through Orphan's Cradle before you fight Barthandelus for the last time felt really long for no apparent reason. It seemed like Square Enix thought to themselves, "Hey, let's have the characters go through 20+ rooms in the final level and let's also put 50+ enemies in each room with outrageously high health and power and bosses that are 10x harder to beat and have no effect on the final battle nor any explanation beforehand to make it longer." To me it just seemed like the whole place was purposefully dragged out for no good reason. None of the "bosses" that I faced in Orphan's Cradle had any purpose to be there other than to be in the way. They didn't add anything to the story nor were they even mentioned prior to facing them. It was just "Poof, A SUPERPOWERFUL ENEMY HAS APPEARED! LET'S KILL IT!"
There were also sections in the game where you would go all the way to the far side of the map only to have a cutscene tell you "Hey, there's something that is going the complete opposite way to the other far side of the map, so let's backtrack all the way to the starting point and go all the way to the opposite side of the map so we can follow it!"
Not to mention the fact that it takes 24 hours of play for all 6 characters to come together and for things to really start happening.

In terms of things that I think could be considered nitpicky, I didn't like how there was no real "Defense" stat and how gil was almost impossible to come by. The only way that I found to get gil was to sell things and I started to run out of things after a while. There was also a very big difficulty spike about 3/4th's into the game that sort of bugged me.

All in all, I thought it was a great game although I don't see myself ever replaying it again due to it being really long winded (it took me over 50 hours in a time span of over 2 and a 1/2 months to beat). While it did have it's flaws, I don't believe that the flaws completely ruined the game and I enjoyed my playthrough, but I think this is a game that I will be satisfied with only playing once.

Edited by Pixel Grip

I just played Super Meat Boy and I have no opinion on it because it crashed before the title screen. As it usually does the first time you launch it on Steam. it's hard. But fun.

Edited by Daringlight Sparkle
1 person likes this

I just played Max Payne 3 for a while.

Uncharted can be pretty fun with its cinematic-ness, but I think Max Payne 3 demonstrates what happens when you take it too far. The most frustrating part is, they try to have so many cutscene-to-gameplay transitions that you always start out holding your pistol (as opposed to your high-powered shotgun)

Just picked up and am playing Final Fantasy XIII-2. Honestly it's not half bad. Barely past the Atlas boss fight and already there's more character development than the first one. Battle system is still excellent with some awesome new tweaks and I still love he crystarium.

Playing ZombiU and I have to say, it's actually pretty good. Closest thing to Killing Floor we're going to get on the Wii U.

Just played Neverwinter and its pretty good for a f2p mmo. the problem is the store system... pay to win...

I've been playing a lot of Monster Hunter 3 lately. It's got a steep learning curve, and I can't see myself getting the endgame items, but it's fun if you get into it.

Been playing a lot of Tomb Raider lately. It's a pretty good game, but needs less quicktime events. Way less QTEs. Thankfully they become less frequent after the first hour though.

I just finished Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. It was a little shorter than I thought, but that's fine because it's pretty cheap (and you don't need Far Cry 3! Though its tutorials will be a little fast-paced if you haven't played the latter)

It's filled with a lot of very funny tongue-in-cheek jokes, and they're very good at sliding in B-grade movie lines. One that I remembered:

Colonel Sloan: "You're the same as me, Rex!! We even have the same color of cyber-blue blood."

Rex: "Wrong, Sloan!! My blood is red, white and blue!"

There are collectable VHS tapes with pretty funny descriptions.

'Hold F to rent VHS tape.'

"Alright! I got another one!....Why the fuck am I doing this shit?" (the game has never actually given you an in-story reason to collect VHS tapes)

1 person likes this

I played Majora's Mask a few hours ago and it was great. Also figured out a way to avoid taking damage from one of Odolwa's attacks.

Got Crimson Shroud on the 3DS eShop. It's an rpg that plays like a table top rpg. It's alright, it trys to leave a lot to your imagination. I kind of wish I could use it's dice rolling system as a dice rolling app though. They're all so shiny.

Also been playing Nano Assalut EX and Nano Assult Neo for the 3DS and Wii U respectively. Wii U version is the superior game, they learned from their mistakes. In EX they have some segments that play kind of like Kid Icarus, but you aim the reticle with ABXY (or the circle pad pro.) To me it's the perfect reason why Kid Icarus would play much worse with Circle Pad pro support. It's not nearly as fast as it needs to be. Kinda want to play more Kid Icarus now, I love that game so much. BUt uhh, Nano Assult Neo is pretty fantastic. I actually rank pretty high on one of the maps for some reason. I don't think anyone plays it, because it was only my third time playing it and I ranked 16. 

zlCfzQ-m7ZMirtmWck.jpeg

Now off to play some more Monster Hunter, and Blood Dragon.

"Oh, the developer that made the new Mortal Kombat is making a DC fighting game. I've always wanted to see a really good DC fighting game, but I know the very concept has a serious flaw. Everybody has some favorite obscure character they will be disappointed to find out didn't make the roster. For me, it's Raven. Not the action-oriented animated Raven either, but the pacifistic Raven from the comics. There's just no way. She's too obscure. Plus, how would you fit a pacifist into a fighting game anyway? I guess she could become possessed and violent like in that one really good story arc from the mid-eighties. That might work, but there's just no way it would happen. She's almost as obscure as Killer Frost."

(looks at roster)

"Holy shit."

I played Grid 2 yesterday and it was more than amazing. It has amazing graphics, good gameplay, and is a decent challenge.

Its multiplayer is very good and the singleplayer is so good that it deserves a cookie.

Grid 2: So flipin' amazing that it wins my respect for best racing game ever.

33 of 50 achievements so far, for once I will have a game with all of the achievements that isn't Minecraft: XBLA. #Grid2