Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WeirdRaptor

How seriously should I take this?

28 posts in this topic

This interesting fellow was a user on another site I'm a part of that, somewhere down the line, became a Grade-A curmudgeon and started using the board as their personal soap box and actually began cyber-bullying the other users. I called them out on their actions and they laid into me like a rabid dog. This guy's banned now. Our Admin was reluctant to do so because this user HAD been a helpful, productive member in the past, so needless to say, we're all scratching our heads about his change in behavior. Now he's started a new account (which has also been banned) and dished out threats like this. These were directed at me:

I know it will take some time but you better believe I am working on finding your butt.

Hope you can sleep in the meantime.

I WILL get you.

Hey, you, mother******. Now that I am banned I shall proceed with my plan to set revenge on you by finding who you are, where you live, and tell people to hack the living hell out of every account you have anywhere. Prepare your anus weirdfaggot.

I don't want to give a common troll he satisfaction of scaring me, but after having my computer already hacked once and hearing all sorts of horror stories about cyber psychos, I can't say I'm not disconcerted right now.

Holy shit--I wish I knew what to tell you. But out of my (very limited) experience, such threats are usually empty.

This interesting fellow was a user on another site I'm a part of that, somewhere down the line, became a Grade-A curmudgeon and started using the board as their personal soap box and actually began cyber-bullying the other users.

Wait, what'd I do?

*reads thread*

Oh, wait, 'another site.' My mistake.

Seriously, though, this has "Internet Tough Guy" written all over it. You've got nothing to worry about. After all, even if he finds info on you, say, an address, what's he going to do, send pizzas to your house? Your standard ITG doesn't have the tenacity or the resources to actually confront people they kinda know on the Internet.

That would take someone completely off their nut, with no other priorities, and enough resources to do such things.

...stop looking at me like that.

2 people like this

If you have G-mail, and want some peace of mind, I would recommend you set up two-step authentication. Heck, it's a good idea anyway.

An imaginary response to him below; though honestly, it may not be a good idea to not reply at all. He is likely craving attention now, and the less you "notice" him, the more frustrated he'll be.

"Shit, man, I didn't think you would figure out it was me. My master plan had so much indirection, and everything. I actually didn't plan for the fact that every other moderator on the board had to agree to it, and it took a lot of effort to mentally project my personal vendetta against you into each of their heads."

take none of it seriously.

Trust me on this, after numerous "tough guy" threats i have received, none have actually followed up on it. you've got nothing at all to worry about unless this guy's like, super smart n shit and actually has the resources. (to which that's like, super unlikely.)

1 person likes this

If I were in your position, I'd call his bluff with the "crazy prepared" gambit. Tell him that he shouldn't even bother, since you already have HIS information and will track him down to beat his ass personally. Especially if you say something like "I know it's you, I saw you at the walmart by where you live" or whatever, just to psyche them out.

The amount of things like this I've seen, and none of them followed through. You don't have anything to worry about, it is simply someone butthurt over a ban...

Most likely an empty threat composed by a raging 14 year old. 

However, that said, if you want to be- well- safer, I recommend getting this amazing program known as Hotspot Shield! :D It pretty much runs in the background of your computer, and gives you a differing IP Address every time you start it for use in online safety c:

1 person likes this

If I were in your position, I'd call his bluff with the "crazy prepared" gambit. Tell him that he shouldn't even bother, since you already have HIS information and will track him down to beat his ass personally. Especially if you say something like "I know it's you, I saw you at the walmart by where you live" or whatever, just to psyche them out.

Yeah, don't do this.

2 people like this

Yeah, don't do this.

Yeah, what a wonderful way to counter an idiot. By 1-upping his internet tough guyness.

Instead, lay a curse on him, hoping his stuff explodes and what not

3 people like this

Man I'm sorry for this. Like the others said just know that if he did find what would he do? Dollop and Coffey are right, just get a IP blocker and don't worry about people like this.

Give me the bugger's IP. I'll send it to my British friend, so he can DDoS his arse for a few days.

Just like we did in good ol' 47th.

Yeah, don't do this.

Yeah, what a wonderful way to counter an idiot. By 1-upping his internet tough guyness.

Instead, lay a curse on him, hoping his stuff explodes and what not

Huehuehuehue, oh you woodle.

Yeah, he's a pretty

Grape guy.
ca74588b-3313-43e2-bad0-79448df40331_zps Edited by Unlimitedcha
1 person likes this