Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KevN

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS

131 posts in this topic

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Get your gamepads ready, cause its time to kick some ass in the new Super Smash Bros!

This was easily my most anticipated game of this E3, and boy does it look awesome. I see that we have our returning veterans; Mario, Link, Kirby, Pit, Bowser, and some more. And we got a look at two new characters: The Villager from Animal Crossing and HOLY SHIT MEGA MAN!

So far we are looking at a 2014 release, so while we're waiting, check out the new Smash Bros. Dojo for more information as the months go by.

http://www.smashbros.com/us/

So what are your thoughts? Excited? Discuss below.

Hard to believe I went on Smash Dojo earlier this morning, then sooner later it was replaced by SSB4.

Rest in peace old dojo :(

screen-7.jpg

Absolutely perfect

You will not believe who made it into the game in this video.

Edited by Robo
1 person likes this

I'm more excited for this than any other game right now.  I plan on getting both versions.

The new characters are all interesting, though the Wii Fit Trainer will take some getting used to.  The way she runs kind of bothers me.

This game is being made by namco Bandai right?

SO WHERE THE HELL IS LLOYD IRVING DAMN IT!

Lloyd_Irving_PSP___Red_by_jbeave.png

If this guy doesn't make it into this new smash game. i will be a sad ass animu character. 

But let's get real here, i was already planning on getting a Wii U and this  E3 sealed the deal. especially with this release trailer and

MEGAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

So now we know that capcom is on board for their characters being in smash, who else could we possibly see eh? 
Let the newcomer speculation commence!

1 person likes this

Looks like MvC3 missed the hype train on megabrah.

Anyways, if they put in more pokemon fighters to use, im a happy camper. Besides that, im happy with just having Pikachu and Jigglypuff.

I'm hoping Sonic is staying for this one.

1 person likes this

I always thought Mega Man would make a good addition to the roster and I’m glad they included him. The gameplay video makes me very interested in trying him out. All night. Villager is a solid pick too. While I've never been particularly interested in Animal Crossing, if you were going to choose any character, it might as well be the player avatar. Wii Fitness Trainer came out of left field, but I appreciate that Nintendo is thinking outside the box.

One of the things that kept me playing Smash Bros is the unlockables. It’s just fun to try and earn as much secret stuff as you can. I regarded Melee as a sort of virtual Nintendo museum and really loved collecting trophies. After two games’ worth of trophies, I think it’s time to shake the collectables up a little. Instead of focusing on enemies and items, maybe they could play up the museum aspect and have trophies related to old Nintendo products and influential game designers/business leaders. Another cool unlockable would be alternate costumes. Some I had in mind were Dr. Mario, Paper Mario, Mr. L, Proto Man, ect. Also, I’m hopeful we will see some good online play. One of the big disappointments of Brawl was that the online was practically unusable. Now, it looks like Nintendo has finally got its online strategy together and Playstation All Stars showed that this kind of game can be lots of fun online, so we might finally be able to play Smash Bros. online.

Now it’s time to play everyone’s favorite game: Speculation

I’d love to see King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Geno, Krystal, Ashley, Crono, Sigma, Simon Belmont, Jeff, Kumatora, Claus, Paula, Bomberman, Sora, Sparkster, a Gen II Pokemon Trainer and an army of obscure characters that nobody else wants to see. Some stages that might work include Castle Bleck, Mario Paint, Mario Galaxy, Saturn Valley, Forest Maze, and an airship from Mario 3. Also, I totally called Skyloft before it was revealed.

Some stuff that I want to see that will almost certainly not make it into the final games:

-Going back to the idea of Smash Bros. as a virtual Nintendo museum, I always thought it would be fun to unlock old commercials like Nintendo Power and the cross-dressing Zelda ad. Sure, most of them can be accessed online with minimal effort, but it would still be fun.

-Captain. Fucking. N.

-An acknowledgement that Startropics existed.

-A Virtual Boy stage.

-Ponies.

Urban Zombie's sad, pathetic, off-topic Smash Bros. textwall that nobody gives a shit about:

Super Smash Bros. Melee was one of my favorite games in high school. Naturally, I was totally excited for Brawl. I watched the first trailer countless times and checked the website daily for updates. Then I went to college and become the Secretary for a gaming club. In this position, I had to deal with many different kinds of gamers. Without question, I can say the competitive Smash Bros. players were by far the most irritating. They acted like their method of play was superior to the way everyone else played, despite the fact that they refused to partake in most of the content. Even outside of tournaments, they demanded to play by tournament rules, even when we weren’t actually in a tournament. Worse yet, the club catered the rules of all Smash Bros. tournaments around their preferences, seeming to give legitimacy to their claim of superiority. Now, I recognize that I sometimes have a problem with letting what other people say get under my skin. It’s significantly better now, but at the time it was kind of a big deal. I guess part of me was worried that these competitive players were genuinely using a superior method of play, therefore the way I had been playing was inferior and all the fun I had over the years was devalued. Silly, I know, but it bothered me enough that when Brawl finally came out, I found it somewhat difficult to enjoy myself. Worse yet, every time I tried playing Brawl at a gaming club event, the competitive Smash Bros. players were there, constantly complaining about how much the game sucked compared to Melee, harping on all the exploits in Brawl while ignoring how similarly glitch Melee was. A common complaint was that most of the stages had things that can kill you. Well, yeah. It’s an arena fighter. Stage hazards are part of what defines the genre. Don’t like it? Play Street Fighter or Tekken or one of the hundred other fighting games where the stages don’t matter. Out of forty-one stages, we were only allowed to play about five.

Anyways, my Brawl experience was a bit spoiled and I still kind of have a little grudge over it. In the years since, I have made progress, partially because I’ve become more confident in my own opinions, that I don't need to work so hard to justify my won enjoyment, and because it’s been years since I’ve had anything to do with those people. I now realize that the competitive Smash Bros. players represent a tiny minority of actual players and the vast majority of gamers don’t play like them. In fact, it turns out I am far from alone in my dislike of that particular group. It occurs to me that they don’t even like Smash Bros. but only a highly limited variant of Melee. I have become hopeful that over time my ability to enjoy Smash Bros. will continue to regenerate as the bad taste left in my mouth during college is flushed out. When the new Smash Bros. was revealed today I was highly interested. It was the announcement I was most looking forward to. Still, I just don’t feel as excited as I did in 2006 when the first Brawl trailer came out. Hopefully I will still have a better time playing it than I did the last one.

In Summary: Completely out of spite, I hope the new Smash Bros. pisses off competitive gamers even more than Brawl.

Something you gotta keep in mind is that they really wanted to avoid sacrificing gameplay for the sake of shouting out to as many franchises as possible to drive sales. That kind of marketing is how I bought UMvC3 (Phoenix Wright) even though it ended up being my least-played game on the PS3. Having too many characters will eventually http://store.steampowered.com/app/570'>ruin balance, so it's good to keep a max of around 25.

I'm glad to see this is on the 3DS as well; since I'm getting Ace Attorney 5, I may end up getting this as a result. I just hope that screen doesn't end up being too small for me.

Best part of this whole video, no tripping.

1 person likes this

Something you gotta keep in mind is that they really wanted to avoid sacrificing gameplay for the sake of shouting out to as many franchises as possible to drive sales. That kind of marketing is how I bought UMvC3 (Phoenix Wright) even though it ended up being my least-played game on the PS3. Having too many characters will eventually ruin balance, so it's good to keep a max of around 25.

I'm glad to see this is on the 3DS as well; since I'm getting Ace Attorney 5, I may end up getting this as a result. I just hope that screen doesn't end up being too small for me.

In terms of character balance, comparing a MOBA to a Fighting Game is sort of ridiculous.

1 person likes this

Best part of this whole video, no tripping.

Tripping was like random crits, it was funny for a while, but then it got old.

1 person likes this

If only ...

109.png

Two things. 1, that backdrop with the character, character's name, and some quote make me think of character intros from Borderlands 2. 2, only characters from Nintendo games can be in Smash Bros, and there was a MLP game on the DS, but......

I would love some Simon Belmont. Classic Belmont has the right kind of precedence and his moveset could fit perfectly in Smash Bros.

And I totally forgot about this Smash Bros being developed by Namco Bandai. SHIT SON--if Lloyd is in this game he may just be competing for my main character. Hell, any Tales character would be freaking rad.

I really wanna see Banjo-Kazooie, but considering that Nintendo and Rare still aren't on speaking terms I doubt it'll happen. At best, they can go to the same dinner and simply tolerate each other.

I feel that there is a better than average chance that Chrom will be replacing Ike, which I find lame because Ike has a ton more personality and flair than generic-hero Chrom. Granted, if they do I kinda feel that might be a strange dynamic as Chrom is canonically Marth's distant descendent--they even wield the same sword, Falchion. BUT maybe then they could replace Marth with Lyndis! :D She could totally have Marth's moveset with minimal changes.

I would love Krystal with a staff fighting style, but eh, face it; It's not gonna happen. Krystal is too controversial and Starfox in general is just kinda lost it's way lately.

I definitely want Sonic to make a come back, and with the Sonic exclusives coming out on Nintendo consoles in the next few years I feel there is a good chance.

Tails and Knux would be cool additions, as would Protoman, but I kinda doubt they'll be adding more than one crossover character per franchise.

A fair bit of wishful thinking in this post, but there is my 2 cents.

By the way, fanboy squees aplenty here when Megaman made his appearance.

Can't seem to find anything about Namco Bandai having anything to do with Smash Bros. Methinks it was just a rumor.

When the new Smash Bros. come out, we should all play online together. Ah, bonding.

Edited by Urban Zombie

When the new Smash Bros. come out, we should all play online together. Ah, bonding.

Totally.

Also side note, thank God no more messing with friend codes just to fight one person.