Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pierocks49

It's back!

24 posts in this topic

What's been going on lately? I've only seen it on once during the past week or so, and it goes back down again. Is someone just...not doing their job or something?

I had asked Simple about it and he said that the server is currently having a change of host, when the server will be back it will still be the same, so for now we just got to wait.  :smile:

Okay, awesome. Hopefully it's not for too long, I'd certainly love to get back to what I do best~!

...as in, well...as best as a jobless hobo can do. :<

1 person likes this

I really hope this server comes back online in a more permanent state soon, otherwise I'll have nothing to do but watch old movies in my free time.

1 person likes this

So i finally get back online after being afk for more then a month and what do i find. THE ONLY GODDAMN THING I LIVE FOR HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM ME! :C

So i finally get back online after being afk for more then a month and what do i find. THE ONLY GODDAMN THING I LIVE FOR HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM ME! :C

Yeah, too bad there's no other TTT server you can play on --oh wait!

It should just re-appear when its back on, otherwise just take a look in the forums, I'm pretty sure Simple will tell us all when the migration is completed and that the server is back on.

I cant wait ;~;
My birthday is in a few days, and if it comes back before/on. This will be my cake.

tumblr_mpmvlookYY1qz581wo1_500.jpg

Edited by Pyro Muffinz
2 people like this

So what happened, and I kind of saw it coming, is that Zimtower basically stole the server with all associated code, and asks me to pay $240 to get it back. The last time he talked about it, he said that he is bringing it back up to spite me, with the same mod and the same gameplay as before.

His only goal from owning the IP is to make profit from it by player donations.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013
8:11 PM - Zimtower: you can get the mod for $240 = $1 per slot * 20 slots * 12 months
8:10 PM - Zimtower: it can be all yours, I wont attempt to bring up another server (which is my alternative if this doesn't pan out)

4:47 AM - Zimtower: yep, this is gonna piss Simple off
4:47 AM - Zimtower: I still own my IP addy and the server is ready to go back up monday
4:54 AM - Zimtower is now Online.
4:54 AM - Zimtower: shouldn't have left the puppet with the keys
5:01 AM - Zimtower: lol
5:01 AM - Zimtower: Simple used me as his meat puppet
5:01 AM - Zimtower: I did everything he told me
5:01 AM - Zimtower: problem is, he left me with the keys to the server
5:02 AM - Zimtower: it's gonna come back to bite him in the ass, especially with his inexperience with garrysmod
5:03 AM - Zimtower: as for the server itself
5:03 AM - Zimtower: it's gonna be business as usual
5:03 AM - Zimtower: minus the admins that didn't do anything anyway
5:04 AM - Zimtower: karma system is perfect, maps are perfect, weapons systems are perfect
5:06 AM - Zimtower: it really didn't have to end this way
5:06 AM - Zimtower: I was ready to give it back to ponyville.net
5:06 AM - Zimtower: but since Simple wants to play games and create enemies, game on

By playing games and creating enemies, he means my refusal to pay him $240 for my own content.

All the contributions that Zimtower has made, are publicly available plugins through ULX/ULib.

He does not have the claim to any code on that server, not only because of the Sourcemod GNU public license which makes it public domain, but because all of the intellectual property there has originated from my ideas and testing.

He took advantage of being the host for the server (for which I paid him every month), and stole all the files.

To hold the server hostage, and to put monetary value on something like that, is extortion.

The server that is coming back up is NOT my server, and there is absolutely no association with ponyville.net and our forums. 

I would really appreciate if you guys would spread the word about Zimtower stealing the server, and make sure that other people know what the story behind that server is.

That does not mean going on that server and spamming text chat with rude statements, that just means not playing there and linking people who do play there to this post.

I am getting my own server back up, with our old admin team and balancing present.

I repeat, the server that is going to appear back on your favorites list is not my server, and I do not condone anyone playing on it. It is owned by an extortionist and a thief. 

On April 10, 2012, Simple's Garry's Mod server running TTT went online. Over the course of a year, TTT was modified by Simple with some assistance from Zimtower. Contributions made by Simple included balancing, gun stats, and karma ban, among other things. Contributions by one of our Donors included Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle Jug model replacements for player models. Zimtower's only contributions to Simple's server were in the form of SourceBans integration and Reserved Slots.

Simple paid a monthly fee to Zimtower for hosting the server. The content being maintained on the server was Simple's property.

At the beginning of June 2013 (after things fell through between Zimtower and myself regarding our Garry's Mod Theater project), Zimtower abruptly cut off hosting for Simple's TTT server without sufficient notice. Simple was never given the chance to backup his server or retrieve his TTT modifications. Zimtower ignored every request by Simple to retrieve his property and refused to speak with him.

6:51 AM - XXXXXX: Like what is Simple even trying to get back?
6:52 AM - XXXXXX: trying to get back what he claims to be also his work? or claim to get back something that people liked?
6:52 AM - Zimtower: he wants his progress back
6:52 AM - Zimtower: I created most of the stuff that people liked
6:53 AM - Zimtower: he did the balancing
6:53 AM - Zimtower: that's all he wants
6:53 AM - XXXXXX: what was the balancing?
6:53 AM - Zimtower: gun stats
6:53 AM - Zimtower: karma ban
6:53 AM - Zimtower: that's all
6:54 AM - Zimtower: simple shit

7:53 PM - XXXXXX: so why doesnt give it back?
7:53 PM - Simplicious: don't know

On July 17th, Zimtower approached Simple offering to return his server's content... if Ponyville.net paid him a one-time fee of $240.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013
8:11 PM - Zimtower: you can get the mod for $240 = $1 per slot * 20 slots * 12 months
8:10 PM - Zimtower: it can be all yours, I wont attempt to bring up another server (which is my alternative if this doesn't pan out)

Essentially, if we didn't want Zimtower recreating Simple's server (with Simple's work) elsewhere, we would have to pay him extortion money. Zimtower later expressed to Simple and other Ponyville.net staff that he had his eyes set on offering the server/content to a competing community if we didn't pay up.

Because we refuse to negotiate with a thief and extortionist over the return of our content, we banned Zimtower in spite of his threat. What Zimtower is doing is illegal and wrong. Simple does have rights if he chooses to exercise them regarding the return of his content. I will be telling everyone that I know about our experiences with Zimtower and warning them against ever doing business with him as a host or provider. I have also warned every developer that I know on AlliedModders from selling or creating content for Zimtower, as he is likely to re-brand, re-package, and re-sell it under his own name like he attempted to do to Ponyville.net with GMod Theater.

Well...dam

and the last time I was on was when I was going from server-to-server "RDMing" people with some friends on mumble (didn't want to RDM anyone on the server and convinced my friends to leave the server alone).

Wonder if it would've been worth it...

We can always come from the ground up I'm sure. Yeah, dickhead's got it, but we can bring it back up through a different client. I'm sure with time and patience we can take it back, and we need to keep an eye on suspicious activity. If someone acts far too out of the norm, ESPECIALLY if they have control of the server, limit their controls immediately so we can prevent something like this from happening. Also to Simple, try your damnest next time around to get consistent copies of the coding and program. Also good luck recovering the server if you are able.

Although my priority right now is to get all of my TF2 servers working as they were before their recent wipes, I have promised Simple that I will help him to get a new Garry's Mod server installed, setup, and properly configured. I have not worked with Garry's Mod before, so this isn't something that I would be able to do on the fly right now, but we do intend to get everything up and running again exactly as it was relatively soon.

I applaud all of you for the work and troubles you all go through so that we may enjoy a good time with everypony else  :love:

We will. Gmod has taken a backseat to TF2 development for a little while, but I do plan to get the server up. VSP development is kind of a time sink, and I don't even do the coding part!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0