Online Brony Survey

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Psych Ology

Dr Psych Ology

Blank Flank

• Bronies

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

We could not have planned it better... the day we launch our website www.bronystudy.com and begin collecting data an article graces the front page of the Wall Street Journal about the existence of Bronies. Please help us in this academic endeavor. We need your help! Be one of the first to take our survey and help advance the understanding of what it means to be "a Brony". Please share this link with your friends.

#2 TwilightPixel

TwilightPixel

Wonderbolt

• 20% Cooler

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

Taking the study now. So far, it doesn't look unbiased.

First, No option for domestic partners. I chose married, but you're already going to annoy a demographic.

Second, You have a question on how being a Brony affects one's plans / interests in dating. The only options are neutral or negative. Did no one consider that some couples might bond over watching the show together, or learn how to interact with each other better from watching the show?

Wait. WTF? Under sexual preference, transgender?! Transgender is not a sexual preference; it's a medical condition. That question is entirely invalid. Being straight, bi, or gay has nothing to do with gender identification.

I'm done. You lost at the end of page one. I seriously doubt the neutrality and competence of this survey.

In the interest of civility, I won't say more about the survey. I won't participate unless this survey is completely overhauled.

I also suggest any bronies or pegasisters be wary of this survey.

#3 Alcina

Alcina

*Taps Server* Oh Horsefeathers... *watches server crash*

• 20% Cooler

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

I always am, as a fur, I tend to ignore them as they never end up being good for the community.
It's time to buck ass and chew hay.
And I'm all out of hay.
♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫
Id rather live on Hooves than die on Feet.

#4 Rainbro Dash

Rainbro Dash

Tyrant, Despot, and Destroyer of Free-Will

• 20% Cooler

Steam Profile

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

I was going to do the survey, but yeah. . .based on TwilightPixel's post, I'm just not going to bother.

I don't have time to waste on bogus surveys.
Do what you feel in your heart to be right–for you’ll be criticized anyway. —Eleanor Roosevelt

#5 Johnny Hoof

Johnny Hoof

Pony Superstar

• 20% Cooler

Steam Profile

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

Hey woah guys, woah. Just hold on a second! Listen, it's not a bogus survey! Believe it or not that guys my dad, and I can 100% vouch this isn't going to turn around or bite anyone in the ass. Ok, so there are a few little slip ups with the whole sexual preference bit, but there is no need to bash the validity of the survey just because some of the questions forgot to add domestic partner as a choice. The real important parts are the questions after all the superficial stuff like gender, age, sexual preference ect.

@TwilightPixel

I'm extremely sorry that the survey offended you, and I assure you that we didn't mean it to be interpreted in such a negative light. We are trying out best to try and fix up any mistakes made, I mean it is a rather large survey and there are inevitably going to be slip-ups. We really aren't trying to offend anyone.

@Butterscotch Vision

You really don't have anything to worry about bro. As a fellow furry I can assure you that its not going to hurt anyone. But in the off chance that it does, you can all come beat the snot outta me because apparently 80% of these questions were based off of answers and other things I told my dad in the first stages of developing this survey. (I was kind of a template? If that's the correct word to use)

Really guys it isn't bogus, It was me that introduced him to the idea of Bronyship. And of course being my crazy psychologist dad, he saw something really unique about what is happening (I'm sure we can all agree this whole thing is quite the surprise.) and was interested in finding out what type of person was drawn toward this show and everything that comes with it. To be honest, I'm not a psychologist, I don't know exactly what some of these questions are testing for, but I can assure you all that its all in name of science and is just for research.

So please, I encourage everypony to try the survey if they have the time, and really want to help and I'm sorry in advance if some of the questions do happen to offend you or are somewhat confusing.

Thanks.
I make this look EASY!!
Every atom in your body was forged in the burning nuclear core of an ancient sun.

Act like it.

#6 10RSAX

10RSAX

The Musician

• Bronies

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

I'm not 18, can I still take it, or is it strictly 18 or over?
Guitarist for My Dying Pony
Check out Nightmare Lyre's and my Extreme Metal project "My Dying Pony" here!

#7 TwilightPixel

TwilightPixel

Wonderbolt

• 20% Cooler

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Hey woah guys, woah. Just hold on a second! Listen, it's not a bogus survey! Believe it or not that guys my dad, and I can 100% vouch this isn't going to turn around or bite anyone in the ass. Ok, so there are a few little slip ups with the whole sexual preference bit, but there is no need to bash the validity of the survey just because some of the questions forgot to add domestic partner as a choice. The real important parts are the questions after all the superficial stuff like gender, age, sexual preference ect.

@TwilightPixel

I'm extremely sorry that the survey offended you, and I assure you that we didn't mean it to be interpreted in such a negative light. We are trying out best to try and fix up any mistakes made, I mean it is a rather large survey and there are inevitably going to be slip-ups. We really aren't trying to offend anyone.

@Butterscotch Vision

You really don't have anything to worry about bro. As a fellow furry I can assure you that its not going to hurt anyone. But in the off chance that it does, you can all come beat the snot outta me because apparently 80% of these questions were based off of answers and other things I told my dad in the first stages of developing this survey. (I was kind of a template? If that's the correct word to use)

Really guys it isn't bogus, It was me that introduced him to the idea of Bronyship. And of course being my crazy psychologist dad, he saw something really unique about what is happening (I'm sure we can all agree this whole thing is quite the surprise.) and was interested in finding out what type of person was drawn toward this show and everything that comes with it. To be honest, I'm not a psychologist, I don't know exactly what some of these questions are testing for, but I can assure you all that its all in name of science and is just for research.

So please, I encourage everypony to try the survey if they have the time, and really want to help and I'm sorry in advance if some of the questions do happen to offend you or are somewhat confusing.

Thanks.

Let me know when it's reworked and I'll take another look.

I'm sure there are some fascinating things to discover if you can get a good sample of the population and ask the right questions. But one problem with surveys is they can become biased, even unconsciously. The question about how being an MLP fan affects your relationship prospects is a perfect example. The writer clearly thought that at best the show could only have no effect, and more likely a negative one.

Leaving off domestic partner was actually the least serious thing in my opinion. It was the inclusion of transgender as a sexual preference that made me doubt the competence of the person making the survey. Leaving that option out or adding a gender identity question to go along with the sexual preference question would have been better. The difference between sexual orientation and gender identity were covered in my psych 101, which is why I doubted. But I will admit, this touches on a hot topic of mine: GLBT rights.

Last, I wonder at calling the age, sex, etc. information superficial. Those are important to any data set, else you have severely limited options in ways to manipulate and examine your data.

But, you said you're looking it over and fixing things. Once you and he have looked the survey over and reworked it, I'll take it again.

#8 DrayneO

DrayneO

Oh! My dishes!

• 20% Cooler

Steam Profile

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

The survey isn't that bad, i doubt they were trying to offend anyone. It's hard not to offend someone because if you don't put enough options on a rather /touching/ subject, someone will get offended, or if you word something wrong you aren't familiar with (such as the transgender thing) you may offend someone. Give them some slack, it's anonymous anyways.

In other news, on page 3 of the survey, i spotted this. Just a typo, is all. Discovered is spelled wrong

http://puu.sh/87tQ (there's the image link because apparently i can't post images here?)

---

aaaand finished. It was a little lengthy, but i got through it. hope i helped. I didn't really find it touchy due to anonymity of it. Though i don't feel there was a better expression for how extroverted i am about my brony-ness. It was kind of hard to not sound extreme introverted and secretive or extroverted and shouting words to the sky. I only really share my brony-ness if it comes up. I try not to go over the top when talking about it. I also haven't lost friends as much as i have lost one or two aquiantances in real life, and maybe a few more online.

The question about friend loss wasn't exactly specific enough, but i haven't lost any people i considered real friends because of it, so i just marked no

anyways yeah good survey, nothing intentionally offensive that i saw i swear

#9 OhHaiDare

OhHaiDare

Mr. Dare is so fair

• 20% Cooler

Steam Profile

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

Y u so long survey T_T

Edited by OhHaiDare, 05 November 2011 - 01:43 AM.

****** Snow makes me chill ******

#10 bobbert4ever

bobbert4ever

Blank Flank

• Bronies

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

This is very cool. Thanks for telling me about it. I am taking the survey now, and it is smart that you made a seperate survery for non-bronies.

It's kind of long though, which I don't mind, I will take the whole thing. But I hope it's not a reason to not do it for other people.

#11 sickdog1028

sickdog1028

Blank Flank

• Bronies

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

A month ago I posted this in Pony Discussion and now it is finally here. Dr. Pysch Ology as I understand he now goes by would like for you to take this survey and help the world know the truth about who we are and what we represent. Please spread this site anywhere there is a strong brony following. Also for this survey brony includes both male and female. Now legally this is not supposed to be given to any one under 18 and although I'm not supposed to say this I will any way break that rule. Please follow the link and complete the survey.

http://www.bronystudy.com/

Thanks again from snerd7, Dr. Pysch Ology and Johnny Hoof

#12 Cinnamon Groove

Cinnamon Groove

Big Brother Brony

• Sea Ponies

Steam Profile

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

I took the survey earlier, it was ok, I guess. I'd rather do an interview, myself, or maybe an essay-type-thing where i can give a more personal and accurate description of my bronyhood.

"Luna's in the heart, Jack, wherever I go, she is with me." --Egg Shen

Apologizing does not always mean you're wrong and the other person is right; it just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

It costs nothing to dream, and everything not to.

The first to appologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those that can do nothing for him. --James D. Miles

My Deviantart page, full of pommy goodness!

#13 Ptolemis

Ptolemis

Blank Flank

• Bronies

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

I tried to take it, but then quit.
Some questions seemed really redundant, and I'm not sure if it was just me or if it was intentional, but some seemed to have a sense of bias.
One concrete example would be that one of the questions ended with an exclamation point. A very small thing, but in the context of the question, it pushed towards a specific answer.

#14 Suitaloo

Suitaloo

The Kinkineer

• 20% Cooler

Steam Profile

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

i just did the survey. i hope it didn't take time into account because i frequently stopped to do stuff or got distracted... (CURSE YOU ADHD!!!) but i felt that it was easy to answer and pretty neutral. i'm not the most variable person though, so that might render that statement void. oh well.

#15 Alcina

Alcina

• 20% Cooler

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

do we really need a 2nd thread in the same forum for the same thing...?

http://forum.ponyvil...he-brony-study/
And I'm all out of hay.

#16 Alcina

Alcina

• 20% Cooler

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

@TwilightPixel

@Butterscotch Vision

Thanks.

iv got 10 years on you, and trust me, these "surveys" cause nothing but grief, even if its your dad or not, perhaps you haven't been around long enough to see or understand how the results in 99.999% of these have a huge negative impact.

I think so far I have once seen an Unbiased article, which came to me as a shock.

Also, id love to know exactly what data collection policies are in place, do you record IP Addresses etc

And exactly what else you plan to do with the results.
And I'm all out of hay.

#17 Johnny Hoof

Johnny Hoof

Pony Superstar

• 20% Cooler

Steam Profile

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

@Eclipse

With the end results my dad hopes to write a book on the findings and what-not. To be honest, I'm not sure what other kinda of cool psychology stuff he is gonna do with it. I'll be sure to ask him when I get the chance :3
I make this look EASY!!
Every atom in your body was forged in the burning nuclear core of an ancient sun.

Act like it.

#18 Alcina

Alcina

• 20% Cooler

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

@TwilightPixel

@Butterscotch Vision

Thanks.

iv got 10 years on you, and trust me, these "surveys" cause nothing but grief, even if its your dad or not, perhaps you haven't been around long enough to see or understand how the results in 99.999% of these have a huge negative impact.

I think so far I have once seen an Unbiased article, which came to me as a shock.

Also, id love to know exactly what data collection policies are in place, do you record IP Addresses etc

And exactly what else you plan to do with the results.

@Eclipse

With the end results my dad hopes to write a book on the findings and what-not. To be honest, I'm not sure what other kinda of cool psychology stuff he is gonna do with it. I'll be sure to ask him when I get the chance :3

would love an answer to that part in bold from the horses mouth tbh c:
And I'm all out of hay.

#19 Suitaloo

Suitaloo

The Kinkineer

• 20% Cooler

Steam Profile

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

@Eclipse

wouldn't that be pony's mouth? :3

would love an answer to that part in bold from the horses mouth tbh c:

#20 Cinnamon Groove

Cinnamon Groove

Big Brother Brony

• Sea Ponies

Steam Profile

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Here's a follow up:

I was fortunate enough to get into Dr' Psych Ology's lecture at Bronycon the other day.

Dr.. Psych Ology is very much Pro-Brony. He has started this study as a way to quantify and prove the positivity of being a Brony. He predicts as the Bronyhood continues to grow at an increasing rate, that there will be backlash from nieghsayers in the media. He hopes that by getting this research out there as soon as possible, that it will counteract some of the negativity, and show Bronies in a more possitive, and accurate, light.

Here are the current results of the survey. It's a bit wordy, but he has busted many Brony myths.

If you still want to take the survey, and add to the data, Here ya go.

TL;DR: Dr. Psych Ology and the Brony Study are on our side!

"Luna's in the heart, Jack, wherever I go, she is with me." --Egg Shen

Apologizing does not always mean you're wrong and the other person is right; it just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

It costs nothing to dream, and everything not to.

The first to appologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those that can do nothing for him. --James D. Miles

My Deviantart page, full of pommy goodness!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!