Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skeith

Dallas VSP Changes and Bugs

89 posts in this topic

Ponyville - Friendship is AllTalk (Texas VSP #1)  -  68.232.161.2:27015

[bugs]

Boss Selection Screen not working appropriately.

- Selecting a boss does not always provide the chosen boss.

[General Changes]

Goomba removed

Modded K.G.B replaced by G.R.U.

- K.G.B. gave heavy damage in lieu of no access to primary weapons. Speed was also increased with K.G.B. out.

Modded Backburner replaced by stock Backburner.

-  Backburner used to have increased primary ammo, increased range, and a much longer burn duration. It has been changed back to stock.

Super Jump altered

- Super Jump in it's current state does not allow for as much aerial momentum as was accomplished before the mod change. (IE: you can't lung forward in a super jump, which was great for allowing experienced hales catch fleeing scouts, soldiers, etc.)

[Game/Round]

Round Timer feels a tad bit too short. I recommend increasing it by another minute or two. Possibly even have a system that increases the timer based on how many players are on the server.

Edited by Skeith

Thank you for making this thread. I am really in need of information about any issues that deviate from the gameplay people have come to expect/want. I have had very little time to get this all working and tested, so it would be extremely helpful to me if everyone posted their issues here!

2 people like this

Another thing to add into the [Changes] category is super jumps. The feel of them greatly differs with the current mod from before.

To make a long story short, the super jumps feel more restrictive and does not allow for as much aerial momentum.

Edited by Skeith

Twili's rage is louder than what it should be when you are next to her, not sure if the volume of this rage can be toned down when next to her.

Got on and noticed that it now does not display "20% Cooler" in my name and donator perks are gone, not to mention there was no class limit at all at the time. Is this a simple bug or just a change to the server?

Got on and noticed that it now does not display "20% Cooler" in my name and donator perks are gone, not to mention there was no class limit at all at the time. Is this a simple bug or just a change to the server?

Just give a good read at this, and you'll know everything.

Basically, Raini recreated the mod in 3 days (which was pretty fast, wow), still a few things missing (like class limit, donator perks, and some bosses).

New things I do not like:

1. No class limits. This can be fun (you know all scouts against a Hale... but can get annoying)

2. Scout get no gravity increase if last alive.

3. Sounds can now be played without the "!". This is annoying, given how using "ha" in any message (like !halenext) will play the !hahaha sound

4. Changelings are spies with crit pans. wut. The weapons also show they have kukris equipped.

5. Goombas off. :(

6. Molestia and Kinky Pie crash the server? <--- not proven but this happened once.

For now these are the changes I noticed, but any other I will post again.

BTW, Cadence is now best boss.

EDIT: I did not post things I like because that would take too long to write.

Edited by Meowzerz--TNLR--

Thank you all for being so patient with these issues and also being quick to document and report everything to me here. These posts are going to save me a lot of time when I actually sit down to try and address these bugs. Even your suggestions about boss rage durations and balance would be very welcome.

I am very busy right now having to wipe and reinstall every server from scratch for security reasons. There are bound to be bugs as well as imbalance issues with bosses until I have the time to sit down and work on this. Until then, I can only promise Donors that they will be credited for this downtime. Getting Donor perks working again will be my top priority once I have reinstalled everything.

Thanks again!

Thank you all for being so patient with these issues and also being quick to document and report everything to me here. These posts are going to save me a lot of time when I actually sit down to try and address these bugs. Even your suggestions about boss rage durations and balance would be very welcome.

I am very busy right now having to wipe and reinstall every server from scratch for security reasons. There are bound to be bugs as well as imbalance issues with bosses until I have the time to sit down and work on this. Until then, I can only promise Donors that they will be credited for this downtime. Getting Donor perks working again will be my top priority once I have reinstalled everything.

Thanks again!

I will try to keep a list of boss rages that I may have suggestions on, and will eventually post it here in the future.

EDIT: Here you go, this is what I have until now, keep in mind that these are my opinions.

Suggestions for rage improvements.

Applejack:

Don't know… with the new boss selection, nobody chooses her...

Cadance:

Great rage. Shining Armor's visuals are a bit confusing, but acceptable. Also, does Cadence get increased attack intervals? It seems she hits slower.

Celestia:

Celestia has no way of getting rid of sentries. In Granary, this is an instant loss. Also, the fire lasts a bit too long, and does around 90 damage, which may be a bit too much.

Chrysalis:

Changelings should get disguise kits and knives. This seems like a copy of the new Pinkie's rage.

Derpy:

The new aesthetic is very fun, and great.

Discord:

Seems a bit OP… Maybe remove the RD part of the rage? Aesthetically great, but very OP. Can get to be annoying with the teamkills too, but I guess that's the fun part. It also seems like his rage charges TOO fast.

P.S. 3 lives? wow.

Fluttershy:

Nothing, great rage.

Iron Will:

Seems like no changes were made.

Luna:

Rage lasts too long. The darkness takes time to go away.

Lyra:

Mare-Do-Well:

Molestia:

IDK, crashes server whenever rage happens.

Pinkie:

There should be a cap on the amount of clones, otherwise, this is great.

DJs:

DJ Pink-3 disappeared? This also seems like Vinyl's rage. It seems as though this is an exact copy of Vinyl but with glasses.

RD:

Rarity:

Trixie:

Twilight:

I miss the exploding unicorn.

Edited by Meowzerz--TNLR--

On my turn as Molestia the server didn't crashed. And yes, I used the rage. Maybe it's related to Kinkie's rage, or the death of one of them (usually on dashy's plugin when Molestia dies, Kinkie becomes slow, and can't superjump. Maybe these issues are linked, as it's still the same core mod).

Discord's friendly fire was proven to be used as a troll way to kill teammates. I don't know if this is going to be a problem in the future.

Luna's rage isn't a big problem if your bright is set to high (or your tf2 gamma). You can still see her overheal particles (which is a freak fortress problem, nothing can be done about it).

Spy - Dead Ringer: Doesn't protect you from damage while you're invisible, only protects from the first hit.

Example: If you activate your dead ringer by using height (fall damage), and then take another fall damage while invisible, or being hit by anything (like, a boss hit, or a boss's minion hit), it will go throught the "-90% damage" protection from the DR. Also, bumpimg into the boss makes you visible, like if you were using the invis watch (not a problem here, this kinda fixes the DR spam). Probably this was made to make the invis watch protect from damage like in the old mod?

Soldier - Gunboats: Sometimes the damage reduction from the gunboats is ignored, you take regular damage from jumps. This probably doesn't helps, but, this happened when we were versing Derpy, during her rage. I'm not sure if this were happening when she wasn't raging. Yes, I'm sure I was using the gunboats, not the manthreads.

Haven't seen other problems so far.

I loved the boss  choose menu. But it probably will go away with the donator perk fix.

Discord's friendly fire was proven to be used as a troll way to kill teammates. I don't know if this is going to be a problem in the future.

This is going to probably upset a lot of people as a boss mechanic, but I still like having FF as part of his rage. I will admit though that it is open to griefing/abusing.

Luna's rage isn't a big problem if your bright is set to high (or your tf2 gamma). You can still see her overheal particles (which is a freak fortress problem, nothing can be done about it).

I can actually get rid of those overheal particles in the same way that I did for Rarity. I didn't think about removing them from Luna until you mentioned it here. As for the night time of her rage, I can always edit the density. I like having it be completely dark though personally since she can follow the outlines on players. I guess this will be something I will need to edit based on what you guys would prefer (as players and the boss).

I loved the boss  choose menu. But it probably will go away with the donator perk fix.

If it is actually working right now, then chances are I can keep it that way even when Donors are fixed. I would prefer for everyone to be able to choose the boss that they want from the menu. Ideally, it would be nice for Donor perks to be something a bit more special, like being able to "tag" a friend for a duo boss. I do not know how this would work though. I'd have to ask Friagram (PoniPoniPoni) about it since he has a lot of that stuff figured out on his servers.

1 person likes this

I have been noticing this before and after VSP, but when I play as Rarity, it seems that I don't get the disguise whenever I get a successful backstab, being that she uses the Your Eternal Reward.  Is this a bug that may have happened?  If so, then it might as well be added into the laundry list.  But, since we now have Chrysalis as a Hale boss, should it be time that a new knife be given to the marshmallow?

As for rarity, dunno but YER, but you can just pick your disguise, and her rage doesn't cloak her, but just makes her invisible, and hides her overheal..

Some things that need to be fixed/adjusted

Fix colors on advertisements

Fix tags on players/admins/etc

Install class limits

Some weapons appearantly need to be adjusted, other players will know:

medic fast switch, KGB, dunno bunch of others :s

Boss tweaks?

In general players have stated:

Icrease boss jump height multiplier

Reduce duration of fire from celestia (or damage)

Reduce discord's opness

Edited by friagram

I for one think having Discord turn on Friendly Fire and having those trolls a good thing to have in the game as it properly helps the boss while giving those who want to live use his rage to quickly dispose of those players before they create huge collateral damage.

As far as weapons go, no comment.

Actually Celestia's rage is kinda like the old rage of Octavia. You're set on fire, if you move, you take more fire damage (like, 1hp for every 0.5 seconds on movement).

I still like having FF as part of his rage.

+1 here.

I've noticed another thing. Medic's crossbow are doing regular crit damage instead of multiplied damage, like, 300 damage near the boss, 500+ damage far away from the boss. Besides I don't see a problem here. This avoids the crossbow spam.

About Rairty, her overheal particles is still visible when she rages. Or this change wasn't implemented yet?

Also, when Trixie/Shinning Armor rages, no message is displayed that they have a protection shield (but Trixie plays her rage sounds as intended). But again, I don't see a big problem here, it makes you actually pay attention to the bosses, besides at least a ragesound for Shinning Armor would be great.

And a suggestion for Pinkie, make the clones say "Fun!" everytime, like the old Applejack. This actually helps to identify clones from the real Pinkie.

And for Shinning Armor/Trixie, is possible to rescale their shield particle/sprite, to make easier to see the shield?

The rarity particles not always being hidden is possibly a bug due to race conditions, there's a fairly simple solution for it.

The trixie particle should be able to be adjusted so that it's on while the shield is on, but the effect could be altered so that it's smaller, or a different effect, in a different location, or stays on the same time as the shield.

As far as weapons, it's pretty much just stock right now, as raini was mostly setting up the bosses and configuring what abilitites go where. I was just helping her develop the rages/abilities. I knew/know little of your (few) customizations to ff2.

Looking over the code base, 99% of "VSP" was as follows:

Freak Fortress 2, renamed to "VSP" with every instance of "FF2" replaced with "Pony" and all occurances of "Rainbolt Dash" "Flaming Sarge" or "Powerlord" replaced as authors with somone else, and a few other minor changes.

They were not being modified properly, so it's quite possible that they were not showing up much (if not all) of the time, as missing in the hands of players when viewed by others. I can go ahead and correct this, and also make them work with strange counters (not that this really matters in ff2..)

Looks like your weapon changes are to the following items, and can be added in (i was goign to post everything, but there's far too many to post..):

17, 36, 204, 412 -> syringe guns

40 -> backburner

41 -> natascha

237 -> rocket jumper

656 -> holiday punch (default fists)

772 -> baby face blaster (default scattergun) note that ff2 provides a slightly different variation of this item.

265 -> sticky jumper

43 -> kgb

155 -> southern hospitality

329 -> the jag

331 -> fists of steel

357 -> half-zatoichi

589 -> eureka effect (default wrench)

If there's any others let me know.

The ff2 jump formula is probably just the old school VSH formula, instead of the newer FF2 adapted on that Rainbolt Dash designed, I'll look into it.

The question/decision is not mine to make. These are the changes you guys had. This is your community. If you want the changes made/put in, it is your choice to make (as a community).

Holiday Punch: Replaced with stock (ff2 already does this I think)

Baby Face Blaster: Replaced with stock (ff2 gives a special version of this weapon that is not stock)

Some players were also commenting about the backstab cooldown. In normal VSH/Hale it's pretty short, so spies can destroy a hale pretty quick. Not sure if you guys wanted it longer/had it longer, but I can check//it can be adjusted...

Edited by friagram

I should probably find those other changes I thought up as theres a ton that weren't implemented...just that overall like I told to Raini, it'd be optimal to place the weapon changes in a separate .ff2/,txt/script file (like how the bosses are handled) rather then being deep inside of the code so they can be easily accessed/modified/balanced.

Oh and the Baby Face modification was added before the actual FF2 update that changed it, so that can be removed.

Edited by TheGreatJug™

Well no, it's okay basically it works like this...

The server genrates calls to generate an item for a player, but the extension hooks that and ff2 modifies the item, and changes it.

We can change all of our items here...

But then ff2 has an older/legacy check after the player spawns and get items, where some items are modified/changed again, and for whatever reason, you guys were checking weapons and destroying/recreating them there again...

So it was like this:

Server generates flamethrower

item is modified

item is given to player

item is destroyed

new item is generated

item is given to player

It should be liked this:

Server generates famethrower

item is modified

item is given to player

I just need to know what changes you need, and they can be added. It's simple to do, only takes a minute or so for each item.

Probably smarter not to preserve strange attributes though :/

I can forsee one possible problem with this modification

Edited by friagram

I see, I'll hold onto them for right now as I have a few more I wanna put together/balance a few ontop of other things.

Add me on steam so i can send you the ones i have and you can see if these are correct.

Seems you guys also had some really wierd semi-deadringer type watch system, but ff2 has this built in now..

Deadringers give you a deadringer effect that nullifies a lot of damage, but all watches give you some protection.. though normal watches give you less than deadringer.

Edited by friagram

If it is actually working right now, then chances are I can keep it that way even when Donors are fixed. I would prefer for everyone to be able to choose the boss that they want from the menu. Ideally, it would be nice for Donor perks to be something a bit more special, like being able to "tag" a friend for a duo boss. I do not know how this would work though. I'd have to ask Friagram (PoniPoniPoni) about it since he has a lot of that stuff figured out on his servers.

I agree absolutely with you Raini. I really like the fact that people can choose their bosses. I found no problems with people doing this, and even though they come in excess sometimes (like 6 Discords in a row), the excitement will eventually calm down. This idea of choosing a "tag partner" sounds absolutely interesting though.

Otherwise, I have found that in the case of a double/triple boss, if you were not the one choosing, you should be able to have an option to keep your queue points, because I have seen a case where 2 people were complaining constantly because they got CMC (because the player before chose Apple Bloom) and their queue points got reset. Maybe there is a way to implement this so that everyone gets a fair choice? I don't know, just a suggestion.

I could probably program the boss selection so that upon becoming a multiboss, some ratio of your queue points get refunded to you.

It's probably not fair to other players to keep them all, because you would then be the next boss again... and if you were to say, pick another double boss, the same people would be the boss forever...

I could probably program the boss selection so that upon becoming a multiboss, some ratio of your queue points get refunded to you.

It's probably not fair to other players to keep them all, because you would then be the next boss again... and if you were to say, pick another double boss, the same people would be the boss forever...

I see... your idea of a fraction of the queue points is good, and part of what I was saying was to make it optional for the players to keep their queue points. If part of both could be implemented, that would be great.

I'd like to see tag a friend for duo bosses AND queue points deduction rather then wiping. Just have it where if you choose a friend rather then have it randomly select that it reduces more queue points from the friend as it only makes it fair.

1 person likes this