Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HeartShatter

Mission to all computer Pros.

6 posts in this topic

I currently have $900 ready to purchase a laptop! I am searching for a gaming laptop that is in great condition and is able to of course run 3D games such as league of legends and minecraft. The mission for all is to help me find the best gaming laptop $900 can buy. Thank you very much and good luck

If this is your first foray into gaming computers, then I should probably make sure you have heavily considered building a desktop, or even tuning up a barebones computer (half-built, just needs one or two things added on for gaming), rather than getting a gaming laptop. I can try to point out a number of the reasons:

• A laptop's small size means that no matter how advanced it is, gaming results in heating problems. Some laptops handle it better than others, but it's still usually something to think about. For one, this means it's going to be kind of uncomfortable, especially in these summer months, especially if you put it on your lap. Two, mismanagement of it (ie, super-long gaming sessions) could cause little bits of damage over time to the laptop. This leads me to point two:
  • In order to repair a laptop past its warrantee, you plunk down $800 and buy a new one. This is not the case for desktops, as usually you can discern the faulty part and get a new one. (You may spend as much as $300 on a new graphics card, but it's definitely better than replacing the whole computer)
  • Laptop versions of processors/graphics cards tend to be powered-down from their desktop counterparts. The GTX 650M (M for Mobile) is not as powerful as the GTX 650.
  • Building a gaming PC isn't quite as hard as one would be lead to believe. The hardest parts are connecting the CPU, and attaching case connections (power button, etc) to the motherboard, but carefully following directions will get you through that. If that's too much for you, a "barebones" or "starter kit" PC has each of those built-in, allowing you to add on the few parts you'd need.
  • There's a lot of markup on pre-assembled components, so you can save quite a lot of money by building a PC yourself. I'd say $500 or so would easily be enough to build something capable of running Crysis.

If that spiel is too much for you, I can at least recommend the laptop range that I went with. The Lenovo Y480 has been pretty good for me; it's not an enormous screen, but I don't mind my laptop being a bit more portable, and I believe it's inside of your price range. The Y580 is more powerful, but I think it's above the $900 you have even at its minimum.

If you want to try looking for your own laptop on, say, Newegg.com, the main thing to focus on is the Graphics Card, or GPU. The most basic principle seems to be to focus on the second number. If you see ith as a GTX 650, this means:

6 is the series number - every year or two NVidia develops a new chipset series, making the whole line a bit more efficient.

5 is the model number - so 2 might be a meager graphics card for basic 3D rendering, 5 is a midrange gaming card, and 7/8 is an enthusiast's model.

0 is there for...I dunno.

This would mean a GTX 720 is likely not nearly as powerful as a GTX 680.

The AMD cards may even follow a similar format.

Hope all that helps, and good luck!

]A laptop's small size means that no matter how advanced it is, gaming results in heating problems. Some laptops handle it better than others, but it's still usually something to think about.

A 17.3" laptop typically has better cooling than a 15.6" laptop, although that isn't to say my MSI GT60 0ND (which has a really bulky case) isn't that great at cooling itself.

The Y580 is more powerful, but I think it's above the $900 you have even at its minimum.

The Y580 was discontinued, but it should be possible to find used ones at massive discounts.

Thanks everyone for letting me know all this information. It is really helpful. However i am looking for a laptop i can use to play games. If you could provide links or such to the related subject i would be very grateful. I require this laptop to also help me to work due to my 10.1 laptop being a little bitch and making work annoying. Plus since it will be a laptop i will be taking practically everywhere i would require it to play games in the event that i am bored. i spend about 45 hours a week working and would like my laptop to be able to entertain me. I plan to buy the air vent product to keep the laptop cool as can be due to the understanding of the overheating problem that many laptops experience as they play games. 

It's difficult to help you pick a specific one, but this may help you narrow it down:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%20600029658%204022&IsNodeId=1

Katana has the right idea with those search filters. From that list, I'd probably go for this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216451

It's the best bang for the buck in that price range with decent dedicated graphics and a pretty large HD which pushes it above the laptop just under it. Add a laptop cooler and you should be good to go. I use my 15.6in laptop for everything including gaming atm, even with a cheap cooler and an overclock I don't have any thermal issues.

There may be better deals out there, but just from that list currently, you should be aiming for something like that one I linked above.