Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RD622

Back for more

6 posts in this topic

Howdy again,

Geez it's been a while since I've been here and for that I apologize.I'm finally out of the Army and glad to be a civilian again. I was honorably discharged June 20th and got all moved back home. It seems like I missed a lot so far from looking but hopefully this place is as cool, if not better, than I remember it. Hopefully I'll be able to jump on here a lot more now provided my new job doesn't eat up all of my free time. An interesting note for those of you who remember me:

- I finally "came out" so to speak about watching MLP and stopped hiding it at work. I found that my fears were baseless and the reactions I got were hilarious. Someone in a combat arms profession surrounded by a bunch of big tough masculine guys doesn't typically admit they watch a show about magical ponies in a land called Equestria. Who would've thought that pissing off my fellow soldiers would be so fun. In fact, quite opposite of my expectations I converted a total of 5 people in my unit. One of them was a guy who had deployed 3 times to Iraq and Afghanistan and who was generally known as the resident tough guy no one messed with. He also had a sense of humour like me and together we had a lot of fun pissing people off at work. With allies on my side people gradually just accepted it and didn't treat me any different. I also had a lot of non brony friends who backed me up anyway. The way I brought it out was I had a custom Rainbow Dash decal made (roughly 12" x 24") and plastered it on the back window of my Subaru. It took 3 days before anyone noticed!

During my last year in Colorado I met a bunch of military bronies who I was sad to leave behind. Now I've got to try and find some like minded individuals out where I live in the middle of nowhere, UT. Sadly most of my friends haven't even heard of MLP so they just think I'm a bit odd. Time will tell though. I like to wear my pony shirts just to see people's reactions around here. Only downside is the nearest place I can buy pony swag is like 110 miles away so it's back to the internets... So uhh, yeah... I'm back  :mwahaha:

Well, kinda surprising to see no replies to this yet. I didn't really ever know you so much myself, but no hero deserves a lonely return. Welcome back!

1 person likes this

Lol no biggie. I just thought it was funny to share my story of coming out as a brony in the Army. Seems like everyone is busy playing Dota 2 lol, this is the least active I've ever seen the forums.

Lol no biggie. I just thought it was funny to share my story of coming out as a brony in the Army. Seems like everyone is busy playing Dota 2 lol, this is the least active I've ever seen the forums.

I was going through customs in Afghanistan like... 2 days ago... I got hit for a random bag search, so the guy (an older SSG) was digging through my bag, looking for my stash of pills (my very large and varied stash) and bam, there was my Pinkie Pie keychain inside my assault pack... The guy digs around a little more and looks up, saying: "Good to go, all your pills are accounted for, as well as your My Little Pony"... I laughed...

Anyways, I've been pretty much a ghost around these parts since deploying to Afghanistan... But its good to see you back :D

1 person likes this

I was going through customs in Afghanistan like... 2 days ago... I got hit for a random bag search, so the guy (an older SSG) was digging through my bag, looking for my stash of pills (my very large and varied stash) and bam, there was my Pinkie Pie keychain inside my assault pack... The guy digs around a little more and looks up, saying: "Good to go, all your pills are accounted for, as well as your My Little Pony"... I laughed...

Anyways, I've been pretty much a ghost around these parts since deploying to Afghanistan... But its good to see you back :D

Haha awesome. It's always a blast to mess with people like that. My buddy that I mentioned whom I converted changed his text notification to Fluttershy's "Yay". It was only a matter of time before our BN CSM was sitting in the conference room with him alone and it went off. He goes, "What the F^%# was that Bitner?" "Ponies SGM." He just goes, "As in, MLP?" "Yep" "Fair enough" and he just walks out of our building with a weird look.

There was another time when he was playing a video on Youtube, I think it was the smile song, and our 1SG walked in the office. I thought he'd turn it off immediately but he did care and left it playing while he tried to talk to us. Our 1SG slapped him in the face and said "What the hell's the matter with you people?!" He just said, "It's F$&^% Ponies, roger? What you don't like them?" He pulled out his Fluttershy keychain and showed it off, I pulled out my RD one, he shook his head, slapped him on the back of the head, and left.

Welcome back and congrats on telling people about your Bronyness.

Edited by Unlimitedcha