Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
woodledoodledoodledoodle

RWBY

58 posts in this topic

Roosterteeth's newest show, created by Monty Oum, an anime-style-but-not-quite modern fantasy alternate world I have no goddamn clue what RWBY's supposed to be.

I'd call it a shōnen based off of the anime-style-but-not-quite and the very very liberal amounts of special effects and large weapons and the like.

Click for full cast/crew!

-Episode 1-

Lindsay Tuggey ------- Ruby Rose

Kara Eberle ------------ Weiss Schnee

Arryn Zech ------------- Blake Belladonna

Barbara Dunkelman -- Yang Xiao Long

Jen Taylor -------------- Narrator

Gray Haddock --------- Roman Torchwick

Kathleen Zuelch ------- Glinda Goodwitch

Shannon McCormick - Ozpin

Miles Luna ------------- Jaune (Vomit Boy)

Patrick Rodriguez ----- ? (possibly henchman)

-Trailers-

Garrett Hunter --------- Adam

Jack Patillo ------------- Junior

Margaret Tominey ---- Miltiades Malachite

Margaret Tominey -----Melanie Malachite

-Crew-

Created by Monty Oum

Written by Miles Luna, Kerry Shawcross and Monty Oum

Animated by Monty Oum, Shane Newville

Produced by Burnie Burns and Matt Hullum

Music Composed by Jeff Williams

Vocals by Casey Lee Williams

Character Design by Eileen Chang

So, first episode came out today, http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=7872&v=more

Thoughts?

Me personally, I thought the voice acting was better than in the trailers (though not enough to make it not feel somewhat "artificial" to me), Barbara definitely did a better job of not sounding just like Barbara, although I'm not sure if this is the result of me listening to the Drunktank so much or her ability.

Animation wise I thought everything that wasn't "normal" was awesome and looked great, everything "pedestrian" looked kinda stiff and awkward.

And a few misc. thoughts:

Their podcast is definitely the biggest contributor to this, but I feel like some of their voices are too distinct for me to seperate from "them" and "their characters".

Yang Xiao Long (阳小龙, Yáng xiǎolóng)is apparently rendered in the western name style (Personal, then Family name) as opposed to the Oriental Style (Family, then Personal), meaning that read Chinese style, it'd be "Xiao Long Yang". If the wiki is wrong, and it's actually already rendered in the Oriental style, her name rendered western style would be "Xiaolong Yang". At anyrate, you're all pronouncing it wrong. Well not wrong, just not the way it's pronounced in Chinese, which I guess this being an American production would actually make the Chinese way wrong

I mostly agree with what you said woodle. it might just be me though but (besides jen taylor) i could picture each character as his/her own character rather than seeing them as themselves or another character.

the animation was mostly smooth. the "idle" animations were the most unnatural but still pretty passable for me. one thing i'm still not all yay about is the art style. it's by no means bad, but i feel they're trying to get all anime style while not at the same time, and that makes everything look...rather odd and not ALL that appealing to me.

not bad overall though, i do want to see where they go with this.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Most of the animation was good (Especially the fighting, which seems to be the biggest incentive to watch RWBY), and the voice acting was usually good. 

I do have couple misc. complaints though: The way Ruby ate cookies was less believable than the cookie monster, and the VA for the henchman that got her attention in the beginning was kinda bad. 

White wasn't as cool as I expected

Black was hilarious but yet distant

Red doesn't really know what she's doing

Yellow seems to be popular.

Thats just a short summary (in my opinion)

Yeah episode 2 was pretty meh. Pretty uneventful episode, and Weiss seemed like a huge bitch.

when Ruby went all kawaii desu chibi on us.

It didn't feel natural.

In any way.

I just thought it was a tad annoying to be honest.

when Ruby went all kawaii desu chibi on us.

It didn't feel natural.

In any way.

I just thought it was a tad annoying to be honest.

Exactly why i said closest thing to being funny.

i felt a laugh coming in my throat, but it was a bit annoying and that stifled the laugh.

Also, i completely noticed the animation this time. they REALLY looked strange this time around. a lot more noticeable than episode 1

This episode wasn't bad I guess. White is a cunt, but bonus points for using the word "dolt". Voice acting is still noticeably irritating, more so than the first episode.

Red is starting to grow on me

like what i see from black so far

White is still a bitch.

yellow is still yellow

the animation cliche was just... poorly done like there's being lazy about animation but being lazy about lazy animation? da heck

It was decent. Agree with woodre's opinion of White from the last episode now, though Yellow is incredibly bland and Black hasn't done anything.

episode 四, pronounce it like "shi" in "shirt" or "shee" in "sheet"

I pronounced it as "yon". Stay mad.

episode 四, pronounce it like "shi" in "shirt" or "shee" in "sheet"

I pronounced it as "yon". Stay mad.

Bro, do you even Pǔtōnghuà?

new characters introduced. still need time for proper opinions

John's character is growing on me.

animations still continue to be weird and awkward in places. especially noticeable in lip syncing

good episode overall.

Well...that was sorta a waste of my time.

i mean that was only 4 minutes long and it was chalk full of predictability.

It was fine, this was one of the better episodes. Fluffy's expectations are too high considering it's a 3-5 minute long web animation.

It was fine, this was one of the better episodes. Fluffy's expectations are too high considering it's a 3-5 minute long web animation.

shush you. i meant it was a waste of time in the sense that i predicted pretty much everything that happened in that episode before the episode was released.

Ah sorry. Only a genius like Fluffy could figure out that after beginning to jump into a forest, they do in fact

land in the forest

Ah sorry. Only a genius like Fluffy could figure out that after beginning to jump into a forest, they do in fact

land in the forest

I love you btw, by pointing out the plot point anybody could see coming a mile away and implying that was the only plot point in the whole episode you have indeed #rekt me hard. so hard i'm going to go commence cry procedures now because clearly i have been #rekt beyond repair.

no but seriously, please be more passive aggressive. i love it when you people do that.