Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fortydageekist

ThunderCats - Ho!

12 posts in this topic

thundercats.jpg

Anyone else see it? What do you think of this new take on the classic story? How about them redesigns? (I hate Panthro's new look) The old show lasted 130 episodes and a movie, wonder if this one can live up to that.

thundercats.jpg

Anyone else see it? What do you think of this new take on the classic story? How about them redesigns? (I hate Panthro's new look) The old show lasted 130 episodes and a movie, wonder if this one can live up to that.

I actually missed seeing it.. I was telling all my friends about it to lol.

I will have to watch it.

Last friday's episode was kinda meh compared to the opening two, I hope it picks up this week though. I can clearly tell this was more for selling toys than updating a good series from the past.

This on Cartoon Network? If so, I'm impressed. Cartoon Network has had nothing but crap lately. I lost all respect for them.

I mean, why get rid of Toonami, Cartoon Fridays, and whatever else they had good (We lost satellite TV). Last thing I remember being fun to watch was Chowder. They still do Pokemon in the mornings, yay.

/Cartoon Network semi-rant

I might look for it on Netflix later... if I can remember, though I'd have to wait a while.

Edited by Kruger

Buying rights to animes and such can add up after a while so I can understand why Toonami is no longer around. (Even Adult Swim is lackin new anime) As for the rest....just the times we in. They're trying to keep more stuff "in house" but you can blame shows like SpongeBob, Chowder/Flapjack and some of those other series are pretty much clones when it comes to the pointless "might be funny cause it's stupid" comedy cartoons. Nothing witty or creative about them....to me at least.

Maybe it is because I had such low expectations for this show, but I've been surprisingly entertained by Thundercats. It has better character and story writing than I thought it would have and is surprisingly dark for a show that is still clearly targeted towards a younger (toy marketing) audience. Even though it is very different from the show that I grew up with, it is still within the spirit of the original, and I really love the new world and culture created around the races. I was joking with Para that it felt less Saturday morning cartoon world and more like an Oblivion world with warring Kijat and Argonian peoples. XD After Friday's episode I really can't wait to see the rest. Even the filler episodes aren't too bad.

If there is anything that I do dislike about the show, it is that sometimes it can be a bit too anime cliche in a bad way. I really find it hard to tolerate the new Liono and his impulsive wimp-hero personality. I think they go a bit overboard with it at times to where he comes off being the parody of a stereotype/trope. There are also the occasional scenes/sequences of animation that are supposed to be "homages" to action anime and just come off looking silly. I'd prefer to see the anime influence begin and end with the art without seeing the rest of the silliness seep into other aspects of the show. It is still tolerable for me though.

ROFL I completely forgot about Snarf. Come to think of it, I don't even recall him being in the last episode. :huh:

I almost didn't want to watch the show after seeing what they did to Snarf in the first episode. I feel like they killed him by turning his character into a stereotypical anime mascot pet. Even making him Liono's butler or servant would have made more sense and given his character a bit more relevance/dignity than what they turned him into. Would it have hurt the writers to give Snarf a scrap of sentience? I know they're trying to rub the anime tropes in our faces, but come on; even the mascots of magical girl anime have more intelligence and lines than this... thing. He's like the cat version of Ryo-Ohki from Tenchi Muyo! now and it just doesn't fit. :sad:

I've only seen commercials for the reboot. I wasn't a big fan originally, but if you guys all say they did a good job with it then maybe this is worth checking out.

Hell, it worked for ponies, right?

Eh, I saw a 9-minute preview and was instantly disappointed. I get the impression they took the normally cool-headed mature adult characters and turned them into bratty teenagers. In the original show, Cheetara and Tigra were Liono's mentor's and had a certain "Uncle" and "Aunt" relationship to him. Now they're all edgy; Tigra acts like Liono's obnoxious rival, and Cheetara has been reduced to "the chick" love interest. And the redesign of Panthro makes him look like a brute, when he used to be the smart guy.

I mean it's not an invalid idea for a show, I just wish they hadn't done it to Thundercats. Of course, my opinion is based only an eclectic 9-minute mish-mash of scenes so I can't really stand by my argument all that strongly.

Edited by Rainbro Dash

I think it's pretty cool. Like I may not have remembered it too well since I watched a little of it when I was a child, but my Dad who used to watch it, likes this new ThunderCats. (: