TwilightPixel

fanfic lengths

7 posts in this topic

I'm just curious, how long are fanfics, on average?

Or is that kind of like asking how long books are on average? I don't really know how much the genre varies. I've not delved into it much.

I guess word length would be the best measure.

Every time I write a chapter, I try to aim for around sixteen to twenty pages on Microsoft words, which ends up as roughly 8000-10,000 words. I guess it'll grow once I get older and more experienced. It used to be six to eight pages, last year, around 3000-5000 words.

It depends on the writer and the story that they are telling.

Generally books have to be over 50,000 words or they're considered short works and usually not considered by publishers to be worthy of being published as a book by itself.

I've read fics that were a paragraph long and others that were 300 pages and counting. It really just depends on what the writer is trying to write.

I agree with rarity, my fanfic has short chapters, a total of 2000 words for the first 2 chapters, but it also depends on how experienced the writer is, so for ppl who are new to it, I suggest starting small, and get bigger as you get better, and don't worry about how many words there are! Just stop when you think it's time, remember, it's about having fun!