Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
topeka

Dragon Age

20 posts in this topic

"The darkspawn are an evil that must be destroyed it's true. Though not as evil as the birds...damnable feathered fiends!" Shale

This thread is about dragon age. Be nice or the Witch of the Wilds will swoop down upon you!

This game was such a shamefur dispray tho :(

If only the it actually felt like baldurs gate.............................................................................. and adventuring D:

I don't know how, but I somehow skipped that dialogue with Shale about the birds when I recruited her. So I was really confused early on when the rest of my party began making jokes to her about killing birds.

I still need to finish Awakening. I quit almost as soon as I started it once I discovered that my party would only be appearing in bit cameos. I keep meaning to go back to it and keep getting distracted by other games. =P

This game was such a shamefur dispray tho :(

If only the it actually felt like baldurs gate.............................................................................. and adventuring D:

Why do you say that? Also are you referring to Origins or DA2? Because I'm in agreement if we're discussing DA2. XD

Why do you say that? Also are you referring to Origins or DA2? Because I'm in agreement if we're discussing DA2. XD

The way traveling is handled that game is terrible. I would much rather walk from point to point in an RPG to give that adventure feel. It would have also tacked more hours for this game to boast about. Not to mention that the series in general lacked variety.

On a lesser note I don't like biowares engine so much lol.

I'm in the middle of a DA:O/DA:A (Dalish/Rogue/Archer) run, all DLCs then ima use the save file to do a run in DA2. I don't know how many playthroughs I've done so far lol

Just picked up DAO :-) Not very far into the plot, and even though it looks to be the stereotypical save the world from the darkspawn kinda story, so far i'm enjoying it. It has really managed to pull me in and keep things interesting. I also like how the characters poke fun at each other :D Alistair seems the get the short end of the stick most of time.

The way traveling is handled that game is terrible. I would much rather walk from point to point in an RPG to give that adventure feel. It would have also tacked more hours for this game to boast about. Not to mention that the series in general lacked variety.

On a lesser note I don't like biowares engine so much lol.

I agree that it would have added to the RPG feel of the game to travel from point to point. I would have really enjoyed an open DA:O world where you only used the map to fast travel after traveling to a location and discovering it. I don't want to totally hate on the map system though, because I appreciated it once I got to the Deep Roads. =P

The dungeons in that game more than made up for the map system though. Some of them were pretty long and there was always plenty of ground to explore. I actually felt like exploring the dungeons in DA:O. Which is another reason why Dragon Age 2 with its five linear, constantly-recycled dungeons disappointed me so much. I still have yet to finish that game, and I feel bad about it, since my Mom gifted it to me. D=

Just picked up DAO :-) Not very far into the plot, and even though it looks to be the stereotypical save the world from the darkspawn kinda story, so far i'm enjoying it. It has really managed to pull me in and keep things interesting. I also like how the characters poke fun at each other :D Alistair seems the get the short end of the stick most of time.

If you want a really hilarious combo, keep Alistair and Morrigan in your party at all times! The only drawback is that no matter what choices you make, you'll piss one of them off. I was kind of able to get away with it a little since I played a female Noble and romanced Alistair. XP So Alistair didn't complain too much unless I went tainted Ashes of Andraste on him.

SMH @ the tagged post thing....I hate you! lol Yes I playing DA2, hell I paid for it, might as well play it. Being a mage in that game is kinda fun. And if I get tagged again ima burn this forum down damnit.

I've played DA:O on my friend's computer. He's got all DLC and stuff. And I've only played Origins. From the sound of things, it looks like DA2 is a no go, so I'll stay away from that one, even if my friend gets it. I never really did get that far in Origins though. And speaking of which, I don't even remember where I am in the game, it's been so long since I last played... I'm an avid Morrowind and Oblivion player though. I know, I know, completely different games (Can't wait for Skyrim). Depending on when I see my friend again, I'll boot up a save and see where I left off. Chances are though, he deleted my save since I haven't played in so long.

Edited by Kruger

Thanks to Critical, my 360 ate my first copy of DA2 so I had to go out and replace it. Had to pre-order Skyrim to do it but I guess it's worth it in the end lol.

I didn't beat Dragon Age, but I got through a good majority of the game. The game looked great, the characters were pretty awesome (I'm like straight for Morrigan <3), and the combat was generally satisfying.

Though, Baldur's Gate 2 still holds the throne in my Western RPG favorite. The story, characters, plot, etc. Just seemed so much better. Though, the Infinity engine and 2nd AD&D rules were cumbersome, but everything else was fantastic.

EDIT: another Bioware game that's a western RPG is Planescape Torment. Awesome characters, interesting story, but combat feels like an afterthought. I hope you like reading if you get into this.

Edited by Edward Lapine

"Dragon Age 3 will feature a new protagonist"

Mike Laidlaw wrote:

Since I’m in a sharing mood, I will put this out there: our intention is that for each major release of Dragon Age, you will take up the mantle of a new character. This does not mean your old character may never appear in future games, but as far as the core protagonist goes, if there is a DA III, it will very likely be neither Hawke nor The Warden.

We want to keep the series about the time and place, rather than about any singular character. While I know not everyone prefers that approach, I believe it’s perfectly valid, especially if certain plans of ours to shore up world consistency (import bugs really bother me!) come to fruition, which I believe they will. And that’s all I can say about that.

Biowarefans

I doubt anyone else cares seeing as how I'm like the only DA fan in the world right now but this news kinda of saddens me. I wanted my Mage Hawk and Dalish Elf Warden to team up to kick some ass in the next game....hell, I just wanted my Warden to speak, with a voice. I just hope this new protagonist you can pick a different race like in DA:O and I hope this time around they put my energy into it like the other team is doing with Mass Effect 3. I don't want another half finished game like DA2.

never heard of Planescape Torment, might check it out.

Then you, sir, are missing out in life.

Planescape: Torment is arguably one of the most creative RPGs ever made. The gameplay might somewhat dated by today's standard, by the story and setting is incredibly unique and may blow your mind multiple times. Play it, or the Lady of Pain will get you.

Back on topic, I've never actually played DA. I just can't seem to get enough interest. How does the series compare to Mass Effect? ME2 is arguably on of my favorite games of all time, if for nothing else than the epic atmosphere of the game; That, and Tali was awesome but now I'm getting of topic again. So, I'm curious how do DA fans feel about ME? I might be convinced to get Dragon Age if it compares well.

I hate what they did with DA: Origins, mostly all the bosses have assassins and they all spam stun grenades.

If you want a really hilarious combo, keep Alistair and Morrigan in your party at all times! The only drawback is that no matter what choices you make, you'll piss one of them off. I was kind of able to get away with it a little since I played a female Noble and romanced Alistair. XP So Alistair didn't complain too much unless I went tainted Ashes of Andraste on him.

Thats what I did too. They make a great combo. :D

Also just for fun I did taint the ashes once. I ended up decapitating wynne. Im not sure how wise it is to kill your healer though. :o

I had some real fun with DA:O. It really probably is the closest I'll ever get to getting a true Neverwinter Nights experience ever again. The characters were entertaining(Alistar is the sex) and the combat was pretty fun though alot of hard or boss fights you could cheese your way through them if you wanted. That being said I totally despise DA2.

Edited by Morokite

Having played most Black Isle games, if not all, I jumped on Dragon Age and never looked back. Sure it's missing the "adventure" element of it's predecessors, but compared to most games this gen, I consider it one of my favorites. Dragon Age 2 I also loved, but I understand people's complaints. But even after removing some of the elements I loved form the first game, DA2 more than made up for it with the better gameplay and graphics. Story-wise, I felt they were both enthralling.

If it wasn't for my son's sister breaking my PS3, I'd probably still be making DA/DA2 runs. Oh well, gives me more time to waste on the endless unplayed Steam games I own. That is if I didn't just play TF2 all the time. :p

It wasn't nearly as polished as Bioware's other games, but I still really enjoyed it. Still have to go through Awakening.

+Alistair and Morrigan's side banter

+character customization

+the closest Bioware's gotten to writing grey or subjective morality

+long game

+neat lore despite being set in a generic high fantasy world

+satisfying battle system on higher difficulties

+multiple endings

-ass backwards DLC implementation

-the main story is engaging but it's not anything special

-The Deep Roads

And don't even get me started on Dragon Age II. What a pile of garbage that was. A whole ten steps back from everything in the first game and Bioware's biggest misstep by far.

Back on topic, I've never actually played DA. I just can't seem to get enough interest. How does the series compare to Mass Effect? ME2 is arguably on of my favorite games of all time, if for nothing else than the epic atmosphere of the game; That, and Tali was awesome but now I'm getting of topic again. So, I'm curious how do DA fans feel about ME? I might be convinced to get Dragon Age if it compares well.

I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 and even enjoyed the second one for what it was.

As far as similarities go, both have very interesting lore and a vaguely similar battle system (cooldown abilities and all that). Dragon Age uses the older and more in-depth dialogue system where you pick your responses from a large list rather than from a wheel.

When it comes to roleplaying, I don't think there are many other modern RPGs that stack up to it. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are kind of similar in the sense that your characters are basically a blank slate. Only in those games, you're railroaded the entire game up until the ending. Then you get a few static choices and it doesn't seem like the things you did over the course of the game affected the end outcome to a great extent. Dragon Age still does railroad you a lot and the game will still end with - surprise, surprise - the big bad being defeated, but everything else regarding the ending of the game will be different every time you play. I'm not sure how to go into the specifics of it without spoiling anything, but it's very interesting. I wish the rest of the game was a little more dynamic at points, but the way it pays off in the end is very satisfying.

Anyway, say if you pick an elf to start with, the characters throughout the game will treat you very differently than if you were to pick a Dwarf or a human. Or even just a different subset of each race. Or depending on which gender you pick. Then you get to pick your class, your stats, your skills, your appearance. Then later on you get to pick a second class proficiency and some of them are really cool (shapeshifting, blood magic, etc.) The game lets down a little in the adventuring department, but in terms of actual roleplaying, it definitely stacks up very well to even the classics of the genre.

Edited by mouse