Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
friagram

Anti Team Stack

20 posts in this topic

There is a serious problem with team stacking, which occurs often when the server has around 10-12 people on it, virtually everyone manually joins red that plays on the server often and has a high skill level (probably due to the moon party map vote or whatever). But this results in something like 80-90% of games ending in shutouts.

There is also no vote scramble feature (it's disabled), and maps end so quickly that scramble can not occur.

Then the cycle repeats itself, the map is voted, and red stacks again.

It gets really old, and the server will not even attempt to balance the teams, even when it's 2v8 or 3v8 or whatever.

I would suggest a forced random team assignment system, with !preference system enabled, so that friends could play together to discourage this, because it causes new players to leave the server, and a decent 10-14 man game goes down to 4-5 after a shutout or 2.

i'm glad u brought this up. i've noticed it as well. i don't play on San Jose very often anymore mainly because of this. also, i'm not saying it doesn't happen on the Dallas server, it does. If things get to out of hand we can scramble and what-not.

i do like the idea of an auto-assign for the teams. whether there be a preference command or not. teams will get stacked even with this i think, but it would surely happen less often.

I honestly haven't encountered a problem like this.

But I play mostly on Dallas, has it happened there?

It has also part to do with people obsessing with /rank /webrank

Like these superfluous numbers really gauge skill and team contribution.

Play spy. Be number 1.

Play heavy, get pocketed, by number 2... etc.

Several people lie in wait to join teams for this very reason, and check their rank several times a match

PonyFacepalm-(n1295542714508).jpg

Edited by friagram

I can say I contribute to this problem, what can I say? Me and my friend w.bart 90% join RED team first (and only because I look cooler on RED team). I guess people have noticed this and join RED team at the same time. It's a little cold-blooded, but there is nothing worse than doing better than your entire team by a huge margin and still end up losing.

I am also part of the problem.

I don't know, sometimes I feel like playing with my friends. And sometimes I feel like killing them.

Most of my friends are very high ranking, and I do not base on what rank they are. They just so happened to be really up there along with myself.

I will say I obsess over my rank. Doing several !rank over the course of one match. But only to check my own rank, never to see if a high ranking individual is on a certain team. I've actually never seen someone do that.

The reason being that I'm critical about my rank is because I'm seeking top 5, currently in top 10. And losing my current rank is not a good thing.

Stats don't matter in TF2. If you wanna baby your stats then go play call of duty. I just join whatever team is open because I play for fun.

Stats don't matter in TF2. If you wanna baby your stats then go play call of duty. I just join whatever team is open because I play for fun.

But I don't like them call of DOOTY games...

I will honestly will try to keep teams balanced from now on. I was unaware that people were quiting the server because of it.

It's fine having a favorite team. I like playing blu because of attack/defend and payload (I don't like defending).

But one of two things happen.

1) The stacked team wins, and the losing team gets discouraged after awhile and leaves the server.

2) The non-stacked team wins, and the veteran players get discouraged having been beat (after being on the stacked team and all), and having lost some rank (Because points are super important), they leave the server.

In the end, we have a 20-24 player server drop down to 6-8 after one or two maps. This happened twice today for this very reason. And it's just so easy to avoid the problem... Pick random team assignment, or if you see it happening, join the other team to stop it =X

Edited by friagram

Losing doesn't bother me, not in the least bit.

Also, losing a match doesn't do anything to your rank. At the most you'd lose a few points.

If you're really trying to rank up, losing any points is not a problem. Since you gain 10x more than you lose.

There are many veterans of the servers (I would include myself) that just play, to play. I do play just to play, but also rank up at the same time. Because both can be done.

A lot of times I screw around as well. Like go Medieval scout. Which is hilarious.

I contribute to this as well. I join a team because I notice a few of my friends from my friends list (Hugh Mann, Stighl, w.bart, etc) on there and I just like to play with them. A random assignment wouldn't be a bad idea but since we don't randomly cycle through maps it's kinda pointless since we won't be keeping the same team for more than a few matches.

I still have honestly never experienced an issue with team stacking. Maybe that's just a coincidence.

But I do prefer the ability to choose my team. And generally, I prefer playing with my friends. IF team-stacking ever becomes an issue while I'm on, I know that I and my friends are all mature enough to directly avoid team-stacking.

And the rank function is fun for me. I'm a very goal oriented person, so just seeing my rank rise as I play is extremely satisfying. I'm not totally obsessed with it, but it's none the less a fun feature. I do !rank many times a map, just to see when I'll hit the next rank. But the point is, winning/losing does not affect your rank by any noticeable amount, so I hardly think it applies to this debate.

/two cents

Edited by Rainbro Dash

As long as people are mindful of it, it won't be a problem.

I usually check the scoreboard when I join a game in progress and join the losing team, and on a new match I join randomly.

Usually it's not an issue when the teams do get stacked, because new people will come, or the maps will cycle, but at 2-3 in the morning it kills the server good and dead in 1 map.

stacked.jpg

Was just playing, this is kind of what happens, tons of people pick red. Red rapes everyone. Like the dude with 4 points was on blue since map start, the other below him was there for most of the map as well. I also think one of the people on red, was on blue but switched to red as soon as some people joined (though they later left, leaving the teams 4v6 or whatever). And look at all of the people sitting in spec. Why they are sitting in spec remains unknown, but for much of the map we have spectators, doing nothing. Or people leaving to spec when they get killed or steamrolled, etc.

Edited by friagram

I believe that no one is THAT serious about joining a game. Serious being, if they see a team with a lot of points, the individual join that team. I've rarely seen this happen, if at all.

What the main problem is, I think, is that people are just joining the team with their friends. And some of them so happened to be good players. And when friends play together they work together, and they all do very well.

I don't see anyone going: -Checks scoreboard- "Oh, this team has a lot of points I'm going to join this one."

It's more like: "Hey, my friend P0N-3 is on this team, I'm going to join it."

Friends wanting to play with friends isn't uncommon. This community is also very friendly, and there are A LOT of regulars. Most of the regulars know each other so they would like to play with them. As close as this community is there's bound to be a ton of people that know each other.

My take on why team stacking is happening.

I always join the team with the least players and/or lowest scoring people in a desperate try to counter this, but it never works anyways when we get rushed by 5 Heavy/Medic teams, so I really think this random team idea should be implemented. If it is possible there should be a system to automatically put people on each other's friends list on the same team or something aswell.

Most of the time i auto-assign, but sometimes I'd join a specific team so i can play along with someone like Sarge or Hooker. Admittedly pretty much every time i did we steamrolled so since this has come up i've just gone back to my old method of letting the game pick my team for me