Raini

Ponyvote_Party

38 posts in this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9Zyu1d0qw&hd=1

This is a custom votemap that I made with Para to celebrate the launch of my new Ponyville San Jose server!

Watch the video to learn about the map and unique setup of this new server.

Download the map here: http://ponyville.net/ponyparty/map.rar

PLEASE NOTE: This map will ONLY work on the Ponyville TF2 servers!

Right now it is only running on Ponyville San Jose until I receive enough community feedback to add it to Ponyville Dallas.

If you want to see Ponyville Dallas running with this votemap setup, then vocalize it in this thread!

Ponyville - Friendship is AllTalk

San Jose, California

8.6.2.175:27015

I submitted it and they posted it almost immediately! Wow!!!

I'm so happy, because everyone else I contacted about the map (like the Steam group) wouldn't post about it. XD

The server only had maybe 3-6 people on it the last few days. As soon as the Equestria Daily post went up, it got 24 players and hasn't dropped since!

BTW Dreynbow Dash, your avatar is adorable. <3

The equestria daily post is how i found out about the server. >_>

Edited by Einsam

I really appreciate the post made by Equestria Daily. ^_^ The San Jose server was practically empty until that post went up. Now whenever I check the stats, there are around 15-20 people on average.

Some changes that were made to the map last night:

- NoEntry barricades to keep opposite team members out of specified Demoknight Jousting and Foursquare areas to prevent killing/griefing.

- Death pit with sawblades added between the jousting ramps for Demomen to fall into when they collide and fail to kill each other. It is actually possible to survive the drop too!

- Capture point added to voting area. It needs to be captured before voting can begin. Unlocks very quickly with 6 or more players standing on it.

I've posted a request/commission for a SourceMod plugin that will work directly with this map. If you are knowledgeable in coding for SourceMod, or know someone who is, please check it out here:

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1528595

lol id go for the vote map thingy

i also think you guys should stick with the custom maps only and forget about all the other maps :P

Edited by EGOBloodNGore

Am I the only one with this problem?

missing map KOTH_Twisted.bhp

Missing Map ponyvote_party_b8

these two maps keep saying I dont have them when I downloaded everything from all the links I can find on this site... What is wrong with my PC and the server?

Am I the only one with this problem?

missing map KOTH_Twisted.bhp

Missing Map ponyvote_party_b8

these two maps keep saying I dont have them when I downloaded everything from all the links I can find on this site... What is wrong with my PC and the server?

See

Going to add a randomizer to the votemap pretty soon, thanks to Axl. The map should lag less in the next version. I'm also considering creating a poll to see which maps people like or dislike on the votemap.

I made a mistake with the Halloweenie version of this map, Ponyvote_Moonparty.

I forgot to include the new banner image giving credit to all of the vector artists who's art I used to decorate the map.

Here is the correct banner if you guys were wondering who drew what art on the map:

shadowbolts-wall.png

If a name doesn't appear there for something, then it is because I drew/vectored it myself.

When Valve releases their new Halloween map, I will update Ponyvote_Moonparty to include this new banner. I will also replace the Ahoballs vote box with the new Halloween map.

looks great! my only complaint is that the server's population seems to suffer because 80% of the time when loading the map after completing a map before it, you get a snapshot overflow and get disconnected. the second connect always works immediately, but the disconnection thing seems to sometimes cut the population of the server down a lot

I have no idea what causes the reliable snapshot overflow error. =(

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that it is when many players are all trying to get onto the map at the same time, because it only ever seems to happen when there are more than about 10 players and when the map has only just changed to the votemap.

I took the liberty of making a video (a replay, actually) of the Ponyvote Moonparty map. Don't worry, I haven't claimed any credit for it. But, uh, it's gonna be awkward if Raini or Para are already in the process of making a video, so I apologize in advance.

sorry...

Anyway, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0-l4Z5BVzY&feature=channel_video_title

Should I submit this to Equestria Daily...? I don't know.

Edited by Smashing Good Time

I like the video, but could you please not submit it to Equestria Daily? I was planning on making a video. I just haven't done it yet because I'm working on an optimized version of the map for when the new Halloween map from Valve goes live. The current version of the map on the server doesn't show the credit banner either which is very important since I'm using pony vectors that were drawn by other people.

On the next version of the map, could you make the signs for the voteable maps a bit brighter, because it is kind of difficult to see them at the moment.

Yes, I've already done that. The version on the server right now was put out as quickly as possible to correct lag. The only reason I haven't put the optimized version up is because I don't want to put people through downloading the map twice and I would need to update it again to include the new Halloween map from Valve once it goes live.

I have no idea what causes the reliable snapshot overflow error. =(

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that it is when many players are all trying to get onto the map at the same time, because it only ever seems to happen when there are more than about 10 players and when the map has only just changed to the votemap.

i still get the snapshot overflow error even when there are like five of us on. anyways, my understanding of it is that it has too many moving objects on the map. but i haven't found an answer from valve on the issue. no big deal to me really, i just reconnect and join back in on the fun.

I've also been researching this issue a lot (from a map-making perspective) and the only answer I've found is that too many entities can be the problem. I reduced the load of entities on the map to 70% and people still complain about getting this error. I think I will need to reduce them by 50%, but it is difficult since it means eliminating most of what makes the map visually interesting. The biggest source of entities on the map is also the present boxes and I don't really want to change anything about them either (multiple layers etc.).

I will keep working on this. However, it will take me time since I really have to evaluate every single entity before deciding what I am willing to sacrifice. Please be patient with this in the meantime you guys.

I think removing the top layers of the present boxes would be fine. That way, you'd still have a notfication on when it's about to open, but does remove some of the entities. You could probably also remove the sawblade pit and just have a trigger_hurt down there(perhaps with a lava texture or something, don't add water though--that shit kills maps faster than anything), that'd remove a bunch of the entities too.

I like the lava idea. Not to mention it'd actually make sense being that deep underground.

As I've said, the map loads well in the morning and early afternoon (12pm-1pm CST), and I rarely get the Reliable Snapshot Overflow during that time. But later during the day is when it consistently happens. This leads me to believe that it isn't the map but, in fact, something else; because it happens with every map change. Meaning I get it when changing to a stock map as well.

Trying to solve the snapshot overflow problem. As far as I know, it's the clients inability to load all of the server information in time. I'm thinking it's a combination of map entities, VOIP (I've heard alltalk makes it worse), and various server information. The only thing we can realistically cut back on is map entities.

A good deal of it might have been that the candle models in the current map were prop_dynamic instead of prop_static. I might also remove the second box for all of the maps and increase the health of the third box. If it comes down to it I could remove the text notifications for the maps (three entities per map). I'm reluctant to remove this because I like people to be able to see what others are voting for if they are currently voting for a different map.

Para read that dynamic_props could be an issue and I've also read that too many entities in general can be a problem. So the next version of the map will have only static props. We also removed a lot of entities by getting rid of the text notifications for each box, and all boxes have been reduced to two layers. So we'll hopefully resolve the snapshot overflow error for the majority of people with the next version.

So, I made my video specifically for EQD, and it was only given a mention in a gigantic Halloween post. They didn't even embed the video (just a sentence with a text link among dozens of images and embedded videos), so I'll be lucky if even 5 people see the map. =\ I don't get why maps that use half of my textures get plenty of screenshots and their own posts, but whatever.

I really wanted people to be able to see the map and come play it on the server before it is gone (since we will be bringing back the original Ponyvote_Party soon). The last video that was showcased on EQD was responsible for bringing in 2/3 of the regular users that we have now on San Jose. So it is new and original content like this, as well as word of mouth about it, that brings in 90% of new users to the servers.

Does anyone want to help spread the video around? I'd really appreciate if we could get it posted to an MLP subreddit or something of that nature. I don't use those kinds of sites so I dunno where/how to spread it around. I've relied entirely on EQD up to this point.

EDIT: Thanks Mewlight Sparkle for the Reddit post! http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/lx4w1/ponyville_tf2_luna_halloween_map/