2079 posts in this topic

Since I ended up making a seperate topic about it, this is my "Heavy" thing here. If not heavy enough then ignore it.

It's easier to reply here, so that's what I'm gonna do.

Basically, I just skimmed your post, but I'm under the impression that you don't feel welcome in the Brony community considering that you have only recently joined the herd.  I saw something about you not seeing anything about Derpy, and I'll embed a video at the bottom just in case you haven't heard the original scene.

Anyways, the whole idea of Bronies is acceptance, right?  I don't see any reason why you can't be accepted into a Brony forum.

Welcome to Ponyville!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHWjnoOimyk

It's easier to reply here, so that's what I'm gonna do.

Fair enough.

Basically, I just skimmed your post, but I'm under the impression that you don't feel welcome in the Brony community considering that you have only recently joined the herd.  I saw something about you not seeing anything about Derpy, and I'll embed a video at the bottom just in case you haven't heard the original scene.

Yeah I'll admit, it wasn't easy to abridge it. To try and tl;dr it as best I can better, I'm actually one of the older Bronies who feels very much out of place because of his views and opinions not lining up with the general hive mind (or popular consensus). I've spent the last few years trying my best to come to terms and rationalise said feelings, but the end results haven't gone well (understatement of the century I assure you).

To the point where I admit I was absolutely terrified merely to come back and read your reply.

The whole Derpy thing was just one such example. As it is, because of this well...not only can I not watch the Show (comfortably) anymore, but I've developed some sort of phobia around Bronies. I think. It doesn't help that we've now suffered a lot of abuse at the hands of Brony kind.

And that's as best as I can shorten it down. You can see the more refined pointers in the post here.

...Awkwardness is awkward...

mlfw607_130331842872.gif

Edited by Gabriel Smith

Since I ended up making a seperate topic about it, this is my "Heavy" thing here. If not heavy enough then ignore it.

I read the entirity of your post, interesting yet disheartening story, but honestly you'll be fine here. I'm a former fan of the show myself, yet I still stay here for the commmunity (well and the game servers too) and despite having a less than favourable view of the show thanks to Season 2 onwards, the people here are still friendly. We do get the occasional obnoxious obsessed fan, but the regulars are all perfectly fine people so you should fit in well.

Shame you've had to deal with that kind of abuse and alienation, but welcome to Ponyville!

Edited by Whatever You Want

I read the entirity of your post, interesting yet disheartening story, but honestly you'll be fine here. I'm a former fan of the show myself, yet I still stay here for the commmunity (well and the game servers too) and despite having a less than favourable view of the show thanks to Season 2 onwards, the people here are still friendly. We do get the occasional obnoxious obsessed fan, but the regulars are all perfectly fine people so you should fit in well.

Shame you've had to deal with that kind of abuse and alienation, but welcome to Ponyville!

Someone read the entirety of that? I'm surprised, I thought people didn't like long drawn out posts O_O

But you can see where I might be more than a little terrified. Even beforehand we were always a little differant...and that's not an allusion to the fact I'm an Aspergers Syndrome sufferer.

Welcome to Ponyville, Gabe.

We also have a few topics about asperger's here.

Also, don't let your age concern you. There are several 30somethings that regularly post here.

And devotion to the show isn't a neccesity to be a brony. I've lost interest, and have yet to see at least half of the season three episodes, but I still consider myself a brony, and I still hang out here because I like the community.  From reading your post, it sounds like some of the fandom you were hanging out with were pretty extreme. We're a bit more relaxed around here. The usual response to someone announcing that they're leaving the site or fandom here is basically "We had fun. Good fortune in life. Come back later if you want. We'll miss you."

Not sure what else to say, really, other than don't be afraid to post here.

Welcome to Ponyville, Gabe.

We also have a few topics about asperger's here.

Also, don't let your age concern you. There are several 30somethings that regularly post here.

And devotion to the show isn't a neccesity to be a brony. I've lost interest, and have yet to see at least half of the season three episodes, but I still consider myself a brony, and I still hang out here because I like the community.  From reading your post, it sounds like some of the fandom you were hanging out with were pretty extreme. We're a bit more relaxed around here. The usual response to someone announcing that they're leaving the site or fandom here is basically "We had fun. Good fortune in life. Come back later if you want. We'll miss you."

Not sure what else to say, really, other than don't be afraid to post here.

...I have to admit I'm feeling a bit better now. I'll take a look at the threads when I find time. When I can, I'll have a look around some of the other main areas.

Since the beginning of high school, I've been having trouble with my father and possibly other family members, but the reason being is religion.

More than half of my relatives are Jehovah's Witnesses, and I'm an atheist.

One sunday afternoon, i walked up to the elder of the church and told him "i no longer wish to be part of the ministry", then my father walks in and we carry on a 3 hour conversation with the elder. When we get home, I begin to cry. Don't know why though, guess it's just an emotional reaction, knowing it's something i've wanted to let out. My dad then looks at me and decides to just break all of my things. A month later, he looks at me, smiles, hugs me and buys me better shit. I honestly didn't understand what was up with him.

3 years later, i join the this little society of ours which is known as the bronies. I feel better about myself, but my father gives me an odd look when he sees me with a pony shirt, and will tell me "you look like a faggot", and yet he tells me to be open-minded -.-

Now, i signed up for selective service, and my father says "the only way out of the military draft is getting baptized" which i will not do because, well, i don't believe in any of the stuff his books say. After discussing with him over this, he now threatens to break my things if i don't go to church with him, or, at times, go preaching with him. An atheist preaching about god? Now, that's just as ridiculous as a Jew telling people to join the Nazis....

Anyways, the man is now an enforcer on religion, and my mother is now trying her hardest as well. The both of them STILL tell me not to be talking with people on the internet, they STILL tell me not to be playing violent video games, and they STILL tell me not be going on facebook. Why? because, supposably, all that stuff is made by Satan, and that demons will get in my soul for using it. To them, everything is related to Satan.

Since the beginning of high school, I've been having trouble with my father and possibly other family members, but the reason being is religion.

More than half of my relatives are Jehovah's Witnesses, and I'm an atheist.

One sunday afternoon, i walked up to the elder of the church and told him "i no longer wish to be part of the ministry", then my father walks in and we carry on a 3 hour conversation with the elder. When we get home, I begin to cry. Don't know why though, guess it's just an emotional reaction, knowing it's something i've wanted to let out. My dad then looks at me and decides to just break all of my things. A month later, he looks at me, smiles, hugs me and buys me better shit. I honestly didn't understand what was up with him.

3 years later, i join the this little society of ours which is known as the bronies. I feel better about myself, but my father gives me an odd look when he sees me with a pony shirt, and will tell me "you look like a faggot", and yet he tells me to be open-minded -.-

Now, i signed up for selective service, and my father says "the only way out of the military draft is getting baptized" which i will not do because, well, i don't believe in any of the stuff his books say. After discussing with him over this, he now threatens to break my things if i don't go to church with him, or, at times, go preaching with him. An atheist preaching about god? Now, that's just as ridiculous as a Jew telling people to join the Nazis....

Anyways, the man is now an enforcer on religion, and my mother is now trying her hardest as well. The both of them STILL tell me not to be talking with people on the internet, they STILL tell me not to be playing violent video games, and they STILL tell me not be going on facebook. Why? because, supposably, all that stuff is made by Satan, and that demons will get in my soul for using it. To them, everything is related to Satan.

And I thought my Stepfather was terrible -_-

People like that annoy me more than the guy stood in the center of Nottingham preaching yesterday. The ironic part? Most of what is preached by Christians today would actually be considered heresy by the core fundamentals of their own religion. In fact, the closest group of people who follow said core tenants is...the Westbooru Baptist Church.

I'm probably going to sound extreamly bigoted for saying this, but just point and laugh really. Your family is following an outmoded, obsolete way of thinking, and from the sounds of things are extreamly hypocritical - I mean what makes worshipping Candy Coloured Ponies any more "faggotory" than the worship of a bearded man in a white robe? Actually, I think MovieBob discussed all this in a Big Picture episode O_O

(I know it's tangental, but really - who'd sign up for a real Church of Celestia or something?)

At any rate, the best I could give for advice is to just point and laugh at them. Bear in mind at all times that you yourself have a truly open mind, and by that you are far superior to them.

Also, I'm an Agnostic if anyone's wondering. My thesis is "If there is a God, it's probably a vastly powerful and alien creature we can barely comprehend. Or it's Cthulu."

Also, I'm an Agnostic if anyone's wondering. My thesis is "If there is a God, it's probably a vastly powerful and alien creature we can barely comprehend. Or it's Cthulu."

This so much. Honestly something that could be considered anywhere near powerful enough to create everything that is in the universe... it would be innately unknowable... anyways that's all i have to say, i don't want to derail heavy into a religious debate

1 person likes this

Most of what is preached by Christians today would actually be considered heresy by the core fundamentals of their own religion. In fact, the closest group of people who follow said core tenants is...the Westbooru Baptist Church.

As someone who studies the history of Christianity, I must say, no disrespect intended, that this is quite false. There has never been in history a group of Christians that preaches anything close to what Westboro Baptist Church teaches. The one group that could maybe (and this is a stretch) be put in the same category would be the Puritans from the 17th century (the witch burners), but even they disagree with a lot of what WBC teaches. WBC believes in almost nothing that the early Christians believed, nor do they have a whole lot in common with most other "fundamentalists" (virtually all of which are protestant, many of of them calling themselves "Baptist" but still, many baptists are not like that). So to say that WBC follows the core tenants is not accurate, at least according to 99% of Christians since 33 AD. 

WBC is built off of taking verses out of context, twisting their meaning, and ignoring the foundational teachings of Jesus (love your neighbor, love your enemies, help the poor.)

The purpose of this post is merely to educate on WBC, not to sound like a personal rebuke or "preaching" or anything else down that line. 

Edited by Crooner

Most of what is preached by Christians today would actually be considered heresy by the core fundamentals of their own religion. In fact, the closest group of people who follow said core tenants is...the Westbooru Baptist Church.

As someone who studies the history of Christianity, I must say, no disrespect intended, that this is quite false. There has never been in history a group of Christians that preaches anything close to what Westboro Baptist Church teaches. The one group that could maybe (and this is a stretch) be put in the same category would be the Puritans from the 17th century (the witch burners), but even they disagree with a lot of what WBC teaches. WBC believes in almost nothing that the early Christians believed, nor do they have a whole lot in common with most other "fundamentalists" (virtually all of which are protestant, many of of them calling themselves "Baptist" but still, many baptists are not like that). So to say that WBC follows the core tenants is not accurate, at least according to 99% of Christians since 33 AD. 

WBC is built off of taking verses out of context, twisting their meaning, and ignoring the foundational teachings of Jesus (love your neighbor, love your enemies, help the poor.)

The purpose of this post is merely to educate on WBC, not to sound like a personal rebuke or "preaching" or anything else down that line. 

Disrespect is hard to take with us. I enjoy debate, though really it should be taken elsewhere.

A lot of the text I recall from the Bible does teach towards hatred towards certain individuals - I recall Prostitutes and Homosexuals being two such groups. It's been a while since I've last checked those parts over.

Either way, a person has to be more than Christian for me to despise them. Now, "Christian Asshat" like the WBC or the guy I was trying (and probably failing) to reassure on the other hand I share no such sleight of hand for.

Oh, and then there's the whole issue with Women Priests, but that'd be getting *really* off topic.

A lot of the text I recall from the Bible does teach towards hatred towards certain individuals - I recall Prostitutes and Homosexuals being two such groups. It's been a while since I've last checked those parts over.

The bible certainly teaches that certain actions must be hated, but it teaches quite the opposite with individuals, even the groups you mentioned. That's where the phrase "hate the sin, love the sinner" comes from, as well as the famous passage where Jesus saves the woman caught in adultery, the whole "love your enemies" thing. You can disagree with what you think is right and wrong, certainly; but some things, like murder, most people here hopefully "hate" murder. However, we hopefully don't, at least to the extreme, hate the murderer.

I agree with Coffey, this thread is not about religion. All I ask is that you respect all people's feelings, even if you don't share the same belief system as them. I completely understand this is no place to preach or get in fights; but if I feel I'm being misrepresented, I feel the need to correct it. 

Edited by Crooner
1 person likes this

The bible certainly teaches that certain actions must be hated, but it teaches quite the opposite with individuals, even the groups you mentioned. That's where the phrase "hate the sin, love the sinner" comes from, as well as the famous passage where Jesus saves the woman caught in adultery, the whole "love your enemies" thing. You can disagree with what you think is right and wrong, certainly; but some things, like murder, most people here hopefully "hate" murder. However, we hopefully don't, at least to the extreme, hate the murderer.

I agree with Coffey, this thread is not about religion. All I ask is that you respect all people's feelings, even if you don't share the same belief system as them. I completely understand this is no place to preach or get in fights; but if I feel I'm being misrepresented, I feel the need to correct it. 

Ugh, this one took forever to get sorted. Blasted Quote Tagging...

I vote if we continue this, it should be done over PM or something, not here. I apologize if my statement caused any offense, and if it derailed the topic in any way.

You scoff and call me a coward or hypocrite, but I was genuinely trying to rally the guy's feelings -_-

A coward or a hypocrite? Goodness, I am not calling you that by any measure. I'm sorry if that's how you took it, there certainly was nothing remotely cowardly or hypocritical in your post 

1 person likes this

A coward or a hypocrite? Goodness, I am not calling you that by any measure. I'm sorry if that's how you took it, there certainly was nothing remotely cowardly or hypocritical in your post 

It's alright. I would rather just be done with the argument. Though I admit I have enjoyed this little session of debate time.

I lie too much.....

I say I'm fine and that I'm happy but in reality I'm just trying not to share my depression with others. I even overlook it and hide it for myself.... this depression is slowly killing me mentally, and I often just can't handle it.... and because of this I've become different than I used to be. and I hate it.... I've become really antisocial. hate visiting others, and getting visitors....

I'm becoming such a whimp... and whenever I try not to be one, and just man up. I start panicking...

I can't see myself living a normal life anymore if it keeps up like this.... because if it keeps up like this I will end up not getting an education, and I won't get a job..... maybe it was meant to be like this? who knows?... I'm just a pathetic little human being who isn't able to handle life....

this is slowly killing me... hopefully I'll be able to stay in a good enough mental state so that I won't do something bad... because I don't want to do something bad. doing that will make others depressed. and that's exactly what I do not want... but some of those who read this might, and I do apologize for that... that's why I in the first place didn't want to bring nothing up...

I don't know what to do.... I can't keep living like this.... sometimes I look back and wish I had done it, and that the world would've been better off without me.... but then again I am glad I didn't. because I don't want to quit the easy way.... I want to complete all the missions before the game is turned off....

this took a lot of effort for me to write.....

and I apologize if I sadden someone by saying all of this...

I lie too much.....

I say I'm fine and that I'm happy but in reality I'm just trying not to share my depression with others. I even overlook it and hide it for myself.... this depression is slowly killing me mentally, and I often just can't handle it.... and because of this I've become different than I used to be. and I hate it.... I've become really antisocial. hate visiting others, and getting visitors....

I'm becoming such a whimp... and whenever I try not to be one, and just man up. I start panicking...

I can't see myself living a normal life anymore if it keeps up like this.... because if it keeps up like this I will end up not getting an education, and I won't get a job..... maybe it was meant to be like this? who knows?... I'm just a pathetic little human being who isn't able to handle life....

this is slowly killing me... hopefully I'll be able to stay in a good enough mental state so that I won't do something bad... because I don't want to do something bad. doing that will make others depressed. and that's exactly what I do not want... but some of those who read this might, and I do apologize for that... that's why I in the first place didn't want to bring nothing up...

I don't know what to do.... I can't keep living like this.... sometimes I look back and wish I had done it, and that the world would've been better off without me.... but then again I am glad I didn't. because I don't want to quit the easy way.... I want to complete all the missions before the game is turned off....

Dealing with depression is really really hard. Unless you have it, or have experienced it you can't really understand how helpless and alone you feel.

You feel like nobody in the world is your friend, nobody likes you, and those who "do" are pretending. You don't want to do anything, and you hold back tears to maintain a facade that is only killing yourself, but you can't help it because if you do tell others how you feel, you feel like nothing but an attention whore. 

But it's just a feeling, you aren't really alone. You have friends and family that love and care about you. Every time your mother tells you "I love you" take it as it is meant to be taken.

That they would die for you, but more than that

They would live for you.

Honestly, I have only found two ways to deal with, or "break" the waves of depression that I deal with>

1: ask someone close to you what they think of you

Just any form of assurance that somebody likes you is enough, sometimes

2: laugh with friends. Look at silly pictures. Do something that makes you smile, and when you do, don't fight it.

Honestly, I can't say that these are the "cure" or that they are something everyone should try on a normal basis. Not everything is going to work like it does for me, or rather for you. But these things that I do are only temporary. The depression will come back. You should see a doctor, and talk to your parents about depression. It can be hard, but it has to be done. And even then, the doctor isn't a complete cure, because the only cure you can find is in yourself.

And Owo, I like you. I think you are a great person and a joy to be around the few times I am actually in chat on the forums. You act a lot more mature than your peers, and I have no reason to hate or think less of you, rather I would think less of someone else thinking less of you without a damn good reason. 

I lie too much.....

Dealing with depression is really really hard. Unless you have it, or have experienced it you can't really understand how helpless and alone you feel.

You feel like nobody in the world is your friend, nobody likes you, and those who "do" are pretending. You don't want to do anything, and you hold back tears to maintain a facade that is only killing yourself, but you can't help it because if you do tell others how you feel, you feel like nothing but an attention whore. 

But it's just a feeling, you aren't really alone. You have friends and family that love and care about you. Every time your mother tells you "I love you" take it as it is meant to be taken.

That they would die for you, but more than that

They would live for you.

Honestly, I have only found two ways to deal with, or "break" the waves of depression that I deal with>

1: ask someone close to you what they think of youJust any form of assurance that somebody likes you is enough, sometimes

2: laugh with friends. Look at silly pictures. Do something that makes you smile, and when you do, don't fight it.Honestly, I can't say that these are the "cure" or that they are something everyone should try on a normal basis. Not everything is going to work like it does for me, or rather for you. But these things that I do are only temporary. The depression will come back. You should see a doctor, and talk to your parents about depression. It can be hard, but it has to be done. And even then, the doctor isn't a complete cure, because the only cure you can find is in yourself.

And Owo, I like you. I think you are a great person and a joy to be around the few times I am actually in chat on the forums. You act a lot more mature than your peers, and I have no reason to hate or think less of you, rather I would think less of someone else thinking less of you without a damn good reason. 

I've been like this for a years time now I think, and I try to have a laugh with my friends daily. it works temporarily as you said. and the depression always comes back, and often a little stronger...

I've talked to my mom about my depression, but to no success. she asks what's wrong, and I say that a lot is wrong, but I can't describe it. and every time we have that conversation, it just end up without any real results.

she and the doctors wants to put me on these anti-depression medicine. but the thing is, that I don't completely trust pills and medicine, and feel that it will only make me worse...

also, thank you for saying what you said at the end there.... it helped me smile.

I get depression more times than I care to admit. I don't know how good my way of dealing with it is, but something's better than just standing by.

I reverse my way of thinking. Even if I've been spending more time depressed than happy I refuse to look at depression as that inevitable thing that comes back. For me, it's happiness that will always come around. It's happiness that is looming around the corner. It's not always an easy way of thinking, but the hope it gives is a fantastic thing to hold onto.

Sometimes I turn it into anger and work it out in TF2 or something, but that's kinda iffy. Depends on the cause of the depression, works better if it's a random spell.

Cal's advice there is pretty solid. I'm gonna make note of that as well.

Well, 'tis the end for my Grandmother.. She's refusing to go to dialysis and is- by choice- ending it now. She's pushed many years with a stable mind. She taught plenty, and I'll miss her..

It's unfortunate it was at such a time that was close to my grandfather's passing.

But such is life. Push on, I shall.

As for you guys with whatever depression you're facing, I hope you push through it and that it passes on leaving you unscathed. I find that doing charitable things helps ease the mind at uncontrollable times such as those.

And remember, Luna loves you.

Not much I can say, Coffey.  I can say that I'm sorry for your loss, and that I hope you feel better soon.

I'm just posting to get things off my chest. Don't worry about me.

But thanks. :)