Rainy

Star Citizen - Name our Org!

Star Citizen Organization Name   17 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Organization name sounds best to you?

• "Space Patrol"
    • "World Welfare Works Association" or "WWWA"
    • Something that sounds cool in Latin
    • Something that you'd prefer to suggest
    • "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

Heylo Rainidears!

Our fundraiser for an Idris-P in Star Citizen was a phenomenal success and we will be among only 700 people with a corvette of this size when the game launches in 2014-2015. As a thank you to all who have contributed, I plan on making my Xi'An Scout, MISC Starfarer, and RSI Constellation available to our Organization (guild) for members and Viewers to use freely. However, if I am to form an Organization to put these ships into, then we must first decide on a name for one! I would love to get Viewer feedback on the names we are considering for the Organization, including any creative suggestions that might better fit our theme.

There is a rather lengthy post describing how Organizations will work on RSI's website. As we plan for our Organization to be devoted largely to upholding the law (like peacekeepers or space police), we are likely to be a PMC, or Private Military Company. Right now we have three ideas in mind for naming our Organization that compliment this theme:

Space Patrol
This is the Sci-Fi that more or less started Sci-Fi back in the 1950's. It documented the adventures of Buzz Cory, Commander-in-Chief of the Space Patrol, which was an interstellar law enforcement agency for the United Planets (kind of like Starfleet in Star Trek). I used to play a lot of the Space Patrol radio dramas on my stream back when I played a lot of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas because they were entertaining to listen to and within the public domain. Many Viewers are well-acquainted with the Space Patrol announcer and jingles by now (almost to the point where it is a mini-meme). I really like the idea of making our own Space Patrol agency within Star Citizen in part homage to the original show and theme. I think that it would work great for a law enforcement agency within Star Citizen and that it is obscure enough of a reference not to pigeon-hole us into a theme that is too specific.

World Welfare Works Association

This was Simple's suggestion for an Organization name inspired by the Dirty Pair anime series. The show has a futuristic setting which parodies many tropes of science fiction. The two leader characters are "Trouble Consultants" working for the World Welfare Works Associated, or WWWA, which has the motto "We Can Solve Any Problem". Trouble Consultants can be anything from bounty hunters to rescuers or just about anything that the situation demands, so long as it is a problem for the client. Simple already made some logos for it.

Insert Something Cool In Latin Here

This isn't really the name, but another idea we had was to come up with something that isn't tied to a specific theme and instead just reflects our ideals in Latin. Many law enforcement agencies have a Latin motto, as do squadrons in aviation (usually displayed on patches). This seems like something that would fit perfectly for a space Organization of peacekeepers, assuming that most people don't find the concept itself to be too pretentious. Some ideas that I had for this were using the generic ad astra or ex astris (to/of the stars) for something like Ex Astris Aequitas (justice/equality of the stars). I could try adapting something from Virgil's Aeneid (maybe crossed with Cosmos for a Carl Sagan reference) if we really want to get fancy with this. I've been told that Latin might sound "too pretentious" though, or that people might assume we're some kind of Warhammer 40k guild because of it.

Please feel free to vote or post your own suggestions!

There was no vote on Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

I think it should be Space Patrol because you want it to be Space Patrol.  It is such an "inside" name that no one will know what it is unless they hear you playing the episodes.

Just to let everyone know, I've made a post and thread to reserve the Organization name "Space Patrol" in advance. This isn't the decided upon name for the Organization yet and I am still open to suggestions/votes for different Organization names. I just wanted to document our claim to at least one popular name before RSI opens up Organization registration, as they've stated that they will reference forum threads/posts if there are disputes over Organizations with the same name. I was worried that some troll from my stream might try to snag it from us. :tongue:

Should we type in what ships we would be using?

I'm using the Pathfinder LTI- Origin 315p Explorer

This thread is mostly for ideas on naming our Organization. I would like to know what ships everyone will be using though, so I've started a census thread if you could re-post this information there. Please only post ships that you actually have in your Hangar, though!

I have voted for "Space Patrol" I think its a simple and nice name however my mind is in blank right now I cant really think on anything better at the moment.

Maybe one thing although it has not been mentioned in this thread (and probably wont since I think this will be a lawful oriented Organization) I would like to give my negative vote (thats -1) to the "Outlaw Star" name because for some reason I cant really explain I hated that lame excuse of anime series back when I watched a couple episodes years ago, so yeah just in case I wanted to point it.

/salute

Space Patrol sounds good to me as well.

Maybe one thing although it has not been mentioned in this thread (and probably wont since I think this will be a lawful oriented Organization) I would like to give my negative vote (thats -1) to the "Outlaw Star" name because for some reason I cant really explain I hated that lame excuse of anime series back when I watched a couple episodes years ago, so yeah just in case I wanted to point it.

/salute

Aww, I liked Outlaw Star back in the day. Maybe not as much as other series like Cowboy Bebop or LOGH but I enjoyed it.

I would like to give my negative vote (thats -1) to the "Outlaw Star" name because for some reason I cant really explain I hated that lame excuse of anime series back when I watched a couple episodes years ago, so yeah just in case I wanted to point it.

Haha I felt the same way when that show was airing! Everyone loved it and I just thought that it was extremely generic when it came to everything from characters to story and even animation. I think that a lot of people were just really into that show because it was one of the few anime shown on Cartoon Network in those days, like Cowboy BeBop. Those of us who had been following Japanese sci-fi in general had already been exposed to some pretty amazing anime prior to that though, so Outlaw Star just seemed really underwhelming.

if Space Patrol wasn't going to win automatically i would propose "Royal Space Force"

.... which that movie isn't really in the same genre as this game, but i love the name.

1 person likes this

if Space Patrol wasn't going to win automatically i would propose "Royal Space Force"

.... which that movie isn't really in the same genre as this game, but i love the name.

That is a great movie which I should re-watch one of these days. I believe I read somewhere that a sequel is being made after all these years.