Project: ModMash

21 posts in this topic

projectmod.png

Key Authors:

TheGandalf - Mapper/Editor

Contributors:

Puny Human LLC - Textures, Map Design, Misc. Sounds, Concept

X0 INTRODUCTION

This is a project which involves porting a map from a ever-so-popular Half Life 2 Modification called Dystopia into a working TF2 map. This Project is basically under construction, and this forum post is for whoever wants to follow it. I will be posting all my findings in this post via edit, and any replies to inquiries under a new reply. The map that is directly being ported is dys_assemble, and the gametype it being ported into is cp_dustbowl styled Capture The Points.

Being it under the style of gameplay of Dystopia, yes, there will be a cyberworld where a single player can enter every 30 - 60 seconds to help with the -hacking- part of the map, which enable the player to be able to open/close up pathways for their/the opposing team, to actually directly capturing points.

X1 Textures, Filesize, and You

The map itself is, at the moment, void of all textures and props. The first step is to either...

A: Port the textures from the game itself and Pakrat that sucker in. I will exclude the Props, and fill it with default.

Pros:

• Less work for me
  • Map looks much better

Cons:

• VERY LARGE file-map size

B: Introduce new textures to the map, using default TF2 / HL2 Textures

Pros:

• Lessening Legal Issues (If Any)
  • Much Less Filesize

Cons:

• More work for me :(
  • Map may vary in looks

Here are some screenshots of the map litterally stripped of all its texture.

Main Point:

pic1.png

Punks/Blu Spawn

pic2.png

UPDATE TIME! (1)

I have finally, after so many hours, successfully compiled a working map to go with. The map as of now is currently void of all entities, including lights. So I better get to work! Heres some more screenies for more hoofinaningans. The lighting looks horrible because I had to enable mat_fullbright due to the fact the lights of the place were deleted due to complications in the compile.

Main Point:

2011-11-30_00001.jpg

Underground Tunnel:

2011-11-30_00002.jpg

Punks / Blu Spawn:

2011-11-30_00004.jpg

Edited by TheGandalf
1 person likes this

this is looking nice! once it's finished, send me a link to wherever you host the file, i want to recommend it to my clan server. it looks like it has potential! 1 thing however, the textures don't really fit with tf2's art style, try doing the more earthy colors if you can.

Looks good, I've been working on porting a quake3 map with textures/models, it's comming along well.

Takes years to redraw each brush in hammer. Esp. since hammer has a heart attack every time you try to draw a brush with more than 5 sides via vertex editor, ugh.

Anyways, I'm pretty decent at 3dsmax, and I figured out the source model compiler, so if you want some models/props ported, I can probably help you out later.

Could probably do it real quick if the models can be exported as proper meshes, preferably with UVW maps, but if they are broken, and I have to go in there and fuck with them so they pass STL, It will take much longer to manually re-create the uvw mapping, which is a goddamn pain in the ass for complex/high poly models.

Oh, and his textures look OK, he is just running fullbright. Lighting is a pain in the ass to do well, takes a lot of time, because the only way to see it is to compile and then go in game. VVIS takes really long to compile normally, so hammering out bugs on large maps takes time.

Edited by friagram

I just got a chance to playtest this map. I really like the map itself, it's layout, and the music. I really look forward to seeing this done.

Notes:

• Textures make the map look really nice (Has the RED/BLU style to add to tf2.).
  • The map's structure looks really nice, and has tiny details to it.
  • The Steampunk music really adds the feel to this map.

So, in conclusion, I love it, and I want to see it done. Cheers!

Looks good, just need to work on the filesize I suppose, or have people pre-download it so they aren't sitting and waiting for 5-10 minutes.

Thats the only problem I am having with this map. Due to the overload of custom hi-res textures, including 2 songs that I've added, (Although that is not most of the contribution) It adds up to a hefty filesize. What I can do is reduce the used textures as much as possible. For now, I have no choice but to leave it at that as I need as many options as possible in the design phase.

50 mb is kind of a lot, you must have a cd of music on there, or you are not optimizing your materials or something.

Uncompressed with 60 custom materials and 6 custom models, my map is looking like this:

Materials (Map textures): 6mb

Custom Models (& textures): 1.1m

BSP : 4m

I've seen a few maps up there in the 60-90's but they usually have lots of custom music and custom textures. The ponyvote map is like 90 megs, so is copperhead and metropolis I think. The biggest killer is using different 512X* images when you don't need them, they add up so fast. Some people also use large square textures instead of nonsquare because it's easier to work with, takes less time to map in some cases. Same with models, don't repeat the texture, just run the uvw map down the model twice unless it's asymm. Most likely too late now but eliminating the need for materials in design, reusing geometry/reducing polycount can help too, though it won't help filesize much.

Teach me your ways of compressing Textures...

I think my map is being killed by said biggest killer. There are also 222 custom files in total according to pakrat, so it might not just be the resolution of the textures, but the number of textures.

The map is also going to get bigger, since I just put down some heavy-duty lighting, and its coming out pretty beast.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Texture_Format

I assume you are saving them as dxt1, or if you use transparency, dxt5

I highly doubt you will be using BGRA for TF2, and that will destroy your filesize, check your texture formats.

Aside from format/compression, you can check if they tesselate multiple times, ideally this is once in a square image. If it is happening more than once, chop it down to save space, though this is most likely not the case because most game designers already do this (they will not pack a 256x256 repeating texture in a 512x512 map).

Aside from this, if you have some textures that are way up high, or way down low, or on the borders of walls, or on small grid objects that really won't be seen, or are not stretched over a lot of area (and won't be seen) try scaling them down from 512x512 to 256x256 or 128x128, should save a bit of space if it's happening a lot, or just cut them out and use a different texture in their place if they will not be missed.

I'll focus more on the highly sized textures, and see what I can do with them. I really doubt the textures are uncompressed, or else that be stupid of Puny Human.

As for the format, I'll see if I can chop them up a notch. And there are ALOT of small textures being used. Many opportunities to chop them up or remove them completly.

Also, the map file size after compiling a close-to final version of the map, it ended up around 70 MB. Thats a ton-fold. I got to get working on optimization.

Edit: I just checked a few bits ago. Most of the textures are 512x, and DO NOT repeat over. Man, these guys really wanted quality. As for compression... I... don't think they'll F up on that. The only real way to bring down the filesize is to actually remove some of the textures.

Also, can you talk about BZIPing? I heard that lowers filesize. Can you also go on the website's chat? I want to talk to you about things.

Edited by TheGandalf

-Could use more cover all over the place, something to break line of sight completely while providing protection against explosives snipers and etc.

-some of the railings in the mid stair room could be removed to making it easier to jump down and take a faster but more risky route.

-add some sort of way to reach the sniper spot for all classes on blue's side

think thats all for now off the top of my head

I was able to playtest his updated map.

Updated stuffs:

• New lighting. I like it!
  • There was a black, undone area that is has now been completed.
  • Automatic doors.
  • Buttons that activate certain doors that don't open via walking upon them.
  • Areas in which you fall now kill you.

Not so good stuffs:

• You literally need to be a few centimeters away from the door for it to actually open, meaning that you will bump into the door before it opens.
  • Glass, railings, and the black metal around the doors are reflecting an invalid skybox.
  • It reflects the black and purple skybox.

That's about it for that. As far as I know, he's working on fixing the black and purple missing textures. I like this map, so far!

Thats right. I'll post some screenies later, but apparantly the map was using an invalid skybox texture, which I now replaced with a valid one, and will not show reflect-map-missing-texture boxes.

Here are some screenies. Apparantly, the forum isn't allowing me to edit my first post.

2011-12-04_00005.jpg

2011-12-04_00006.jpg

2011-12-04_00003.jpg

2011-12-04_00004.jpg

2011-12-04_00002.jpg

2011-12-04_00001.jpg

Edited by TheGandalf