friagram

Q3DM1 Pony Conversion For TF2

68 posts in this topic

I started with having a simple conversion in mind, but I ended up changing the map quite a bit.

Found out how to compile models for source, still working on lighting and such, but it's coming along.

Any suggestions, comments, or contributions are welcome.

Keep in mind this is my first map with hammer.

Trying to eliminate brush clipping, while keeping simple geometry.

Also nodrawing everything that isn't of use.

Lighting is only in there for props and windows, I have not done map lighting yet, but there is some.

Still need to add player clips, will do that last.

Here is what I have so far...

statue1.jpg

statue2.jpg

entry.jpgfurnace.jpg

largewindows.jpg

smallwindows.jpg

The top isn't done yet (because I haven't mirrored the geometry), nor is the border/detailing around the top-left hand of the room.

resupply.jpg

Going to put a resupply area here. Probably will use the cabinet model from degroot keep, and some french doors if i can manage it.

2 people like this

I was getting tired of hammer's shitty vertex editor, even editing a shape with 4 sides it would create invalid solids.

I'm used to GTKradient which is amazing for map editing, no idea why hammer is so shitty.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Talk:Valve_Hammer_Editor

Sad that it even says this in their wiki.

I found this program if anyone is using it, which is supposed to be similar to patch editing in radient.

http://www.violator.eclipse.co.uk/disped/

Gonna try it later, but now that I'm almost done, it might be better for another project.

The geometry and textures look AMAZING!!

I love the pony statues and I absolutely adore the last picture of the stainglass windows. Where did you get the art for those textures? It is PERFECT!!

I'd really love to see this in TF2! I just wish it was a CP map or something instead of DM.

Well, I think i can mirror the map and make it a 5 cap. I have the 2 other statues I can add - the allicorn/unicorn for the other side.

Each courtyard can be 1 cap point, each cathedral/windowed area can be 1 cap point. I will however need to add / create a middle cap point somehow.

Also, there is too big of a choke point on this map, with the single doorway entry from the courtyard (because it's a small map)

I have a few options:

1) make a larger courtyard that both courtyards open up into with a middle capture point, and have a cemetary there, with a crypt entrance that runs into each base

2) open up the side walls and have a pathway into the side of the base.

I don't think it would be a good idea to do both.. 3 entrances is too many.. I think 1 would be the better idea.

I'd like to finish the DM first so I have something to work off of and people can make suggestions because there will have to be multiple pathways and tunnels for a CP map.

I found most of the pony art here a while ago, I mostly went for SVGs or PNGs, but I had to improvize with photoshopping some youtubes for one of the windows I'll have to put in, unless somone wants to vector it in illustrator. I simply don't have the patience to do that right now I'll post it here if somone wants to have a go at it. Sometimes the stuff gets moved around or taken down from these sites, but I'm pretty sure I have the deviant artists written down on some textfile on my destkop which is a blur of icons.

http://bronibooru.ml...s=stained_glass here is one of the sites I found some of the stuff on, but some of the images got changed since I was last there, it's just an image repo of sorts, but it has the deviant art links.

Here is the window that's shitty and needs work (from youtube 1080p source):

Notice t hat the top left and right corners are really cheesy photoshop content fills. I was going to fix it later, or possibly take it into illustrator and make it into a vector, but that takes SO much time, and i'm honestly not that good with illus. I just wanted to get it in there as a placeholder.

window1.png

Here are the others I'm using:

windows3.png

if you have better windows, let me know.

Edited by friagram

leaks.jpg

I pretty much finished the deathmatch/test version of the map, however when vvis was compiling, it decided to crash, and when i came back i had a leak. But in the magical world of source valve's shitty tools, light can leak through floors where there are no gaps. I have followed this stupid red line around and around the brush and no holesssssss

Edited by friagram

Your doing a really good job with this map friagram, keep up the good work! Hopefully we'll be seeing it in the future on the server. Loving the stained glass windows.

I'm excited about this. A custom pony map for actual gameplay would be an awesome addition to the server.

If you need more paths, you could also try balconies around the outside of the castle, or letting players get up on the roof somehow.

As for a center point, maybe build a throne room in the middle?

I'm gonna work on it some more later, convert it to a 5cap I think, I'll figure something out. Hard to make it quakish but also work good in tf2 and preserve the style.

Anyways, after I fixed everything up and duplicated the map (because i only designed half and mirrored it) the mapping program designed to make a mess of things and it took me a while to straighten it out. There might be a few bugs.

You can see if it works, I think it will, tested it on my laptop.

Post comments if you like, or let me know if you see any holes/mising textures/messed up geometry. I still need to fix some lighting/player clips and stuff. The skybox shows the end of the level if you go too high, i know, it's because of something I did on purpose, don't worry about it.

Spawn points are randomly kind of thrown about.

As for extra paths... I will likely do the following:

1) punch a hole under the jesus statue in the wall for team spawn

2) punch a hole in the floor for a collapsed cyrpt for a back entrance into the base/second path

3) Place capture points on the round stairs near the windows, and near the statue pairs

4) add a new courtyard that combines the two bases, surrounded by a graveyard that has crypt outlets

5) hollow out the bell-tower so snipers can have their fun in the inner courtyard.

6) add more ponies (2 new alternate statues in the other courtyard)... and whatever else i can think of.

Any good ideas on what to do for CTF or Capture points, or even VSH i'll look into

(quick compile vvis, sealed the leaks with a box for now, i'll fix em later but it's not a big deal)

http://www.mediafire.com/?5i3l49hlwkkb39h

Edited by friagram

I figured out that hammer was automatically setting func_detail, which was causing leaks. Wasting my time o:

Here's a great guide for any fellow mappers on leaks:

http://www.interlope...tutorials/12576

OK this will be really 2forty, but should work great for CTF, Here is how my ideas are panning out:

entryhole.jpg

One side of the path for each team will have a collapsed hole in the wall + floor where bricks will be removed, i'll do this later.

tunnels.jpg

Here is more placeholder stuff while I plan/measure. The distance from the crypt entrance (archway) to the slanted rooftop/belltower is the same distance from the middle of the bridge to the sniper balcony on 2fort. The yellow pathway will be underground archways/pillars with tombs in it.

I plan to do something like this:

cryptentrance.jpg

Entrance to catacombs

Crypttunnel.jpg

Inside of entrance

catacombs.jpg

Tunnels: I like how these tunnels look with the low arch, and the side/stone molding. I can use this basic geometry, but add holes in the walls, probably throw some spider web translucent textures in there, make it dark, mabye add some bone models and chuck them in some of the empty holes :)

Edited by friagram

I'm excited about this. A custom pony map for actual gameplay would be an awesome addition to the server.

If you need more paths, you could also try balconies around the outside of the castle, or letting players get up on the roof somehow.

As for a center point, maybe build a throne room in the middle?

IMHO 2fort is ruined by sniperspam, as gandalf has also commented to me over steam.

I think I can add a map based portal to in the base to allow people up onto the slanted roof/belltower. I can hollow out the belltower a bit to allow people to stand in there as well. However, there will be no ammo/health inside of it, and no way to retreat back. You would have to jump off of the roof or build a dispenser/sentry. I think this would be more balanced. I can also make this open up into the inner archway, so that it can be used to get into the base by rocket jumping soldiers/demo men, or engineers can use it to build sentries on defense and teleporters for people to use the roof.

Additionally, I think the crypt entrance in the middle being built up rather than sunk in is good for cover.

I finished up the Q3a part, opened the courtyard and made the crypt entrance. I will need to add something to the middle of it to occlude the bases and the crypts, most craveyards have a fountain/statue, so I was going to add that.. more ponies. Help would be nice, I'm not the best modeler.

Something simple and gothic would be great, like this but slightly less detailed (it is tf2 afterall):

enclosed-fountain.jpg

Can replace the statue with a pony, I think luna would be perfect. The pose 1 of luna looks good:

http://kp-shadowsqui...enter-215266264

lunast.jpg

If anyone wants to work on it go for it.

Only thing about source models is that they can't have more than 1 smoothing group. Also, they shouldn't have too many polys, I think there is a 10k limit, but 5-6k is more practical for player models. This will probably only need like a stone/marble texture. Could be animated for water.

http://wiki.tf2.com/...el_optimization

Using the pro optimizer and smoothing groups, it's probably possible to get the model down to 1-2k polys and still look fine. Doubt a few models will have a huge impact anyways, only going to have a few of these on the map visible at once time, probably 2-3 max, possibly 4-5 from a certain vantage point.

Shopped this for the respawn room, it's gonna be a library type deal, can have 2 openings into the room with the stained glass stuffs. Possibly throw some beds in there, idk.

Going to have some tables in there too.

Figured this was fitting with the theme:

quill.png

dearprincess.png

Obviously they will be small textures on a table, but should be readable =D

Edited by friagram

lib1.jpg

Added library (spawns)

lib2.jpg

Some details

lib3.jpg

More windows

crypt1.jpg

Underground path is in, but no lighting and still needs work/water

I'm going to remove a bunch of the models, add some cobwebs and other details later.

Added a dungeon with metal grates, going to open up some of them, add health/ammo down there.

The tunnel is really really long though :( I think too long. I'll see how it goes. Then again, 2fort tunnels/water is retarded long too.

Also thinking about adding a quake style portal in the level to teleport people around to random spots. Not sure if this is a good idea or will work right. Might be a gamble - very low chance to put you in a dungeon cell with a zombie that kills you or does modeate damage, or something like that, or teleport you to a rooftop with a good vantage point/etc. Don't want it to be broken though. Wouldn't want it to teleport players with the flag for fast caps or anything like that =S

Edited by friagram

Did some more work on it, hammer was broken for the past day or 2 due to tf2 updates and such, so yeah.

Things to do:

Add tf2 shit (spawn entities, flag entities)

Create middle terrain -hills/place gravestones so players can leap over walls as scout, etc, make map less boring.

Work on lighting, 3d skybox, water. Add minor details.

Already did most of the hard stuff - I fixed all of the leaks, I made everything func_detail possible, removed all of the archways and made them boxy to reduce visleafs. The only one I didn't bother with was the spawn, it's got a ton of visleafs in there, I can't do anything about it. I put a areaportal in there to help, but i doubt anyone running on a dx8+ machine would have any issue on this map. Can add hints later, but it's pretty optimized.

Here's some stuff I added:

mainroom.jpg

main room - entrance to tunnels to the right, is spawn forward-right, flags (or control point if i make CP version) will be on the roundy stairs), exits are the 2 square stairs left.

undergroundup.jpg

Going down the stairs takes you to a dungeon/tunnel system type thing

cells.jpg

There are 5 cells, 2 are closed. 1 cell is open on each wall - for hiding in and building stuff, or sniping, or whatever.

tunnels.jpg

Tunnels elbows, there's a hide spot to the left of the stairs down, can put some resupply stuff here.

fountain.jpg

I added a fountain and put a pointing statue of trixie in it. Hopefully I can find out how to make it move/point towards the losing team upon events. This would be a cool effect. Also need to add water to the fountain, and finish up some details on it - lik emake the block not float, textures, etc.

q3aportal.jpg

I also added in a portal in the base, it instantly kills enemies who try to take it, so they cannot escape with the flag. Teammates who choose to use it will be teleported to one of a few random helpful locations. This will have to be tweaked, so far the locations are - rooftop in courtyard, a cell in the sewers, and the team main hallway.

Unfortunately TF2 does not support the monitor/camera functions that hl2 and other source games do, so I cannot make it display the places it will teleport players to (in realtime), but i can make it show this creepy black transparent image, which looks cool. And also it has animated blue electric stuff going up it =S

Edited by friagram

I'm not sure I'm fan of the crucifix. Is that coming out? It seems really out-of-place in a castle full of ponies.

Maybe if you could find a giant Celestia/Luna/Nightmare Moon statue, that would be a good replacement.

My only concern is the teleporter. i found with some custom maps that teleport players that they sometimes glitch out and go to locations that aren't preset. but most of the time the finished project works perfectly

great work so far man. can't wait to try it out

I'm not sure I'm fan of the crucifix. Is that coming out? It seems really out-of-place in a castle full of ponies.

Maybe if you could find a giant Celestia/Luna/Nightmare Moon statue, that would be a good replacement.

Yep i'm not sure about the jesus statue either. The map is themed around a gothic cathedral. There are pentagrams, skulls, and demonic pictures all around. Something needed to go on that wall for detail though, because I took out the giant mouth/tongue thing with red armor powerup. It just didn't fit in the map remake for large multiplayer etc. If you have a better idea let me know. I don't know how I would go about putting a pony statue up on the wall. I could just hide the model of jesus, and leave the crucifix I guess. The teleporter adds something, but I'm also not sure about the teleporter =S and it's function. I think it will have to get playtested. The teleporter works fine for teleporting players. The locations are fixed (like spawn points) as entities, so I have control over where people go, I just need to place them.

levelguide_arenagate_4.jpg

This is the stock level from quake, I suppose I could work on this patch

OK I compiled the Q3a patch, converted the bsp to an ASCII model... Now I just need to convert that to a waveform object or something I can get into 3ds max, texture it and export it to Source..

mouthmodel.jpg

mouthmax.jpg

Woohoo, got it imported into 3dsmax and made a source model. Gotta fiddle with the size to make it fit in there, but I can take out the jesus model and cross. Just gotta add the lava under the tongue and like.. make collision boxes so people can go inside. Can put the healthpack in there, i think that would work, perhaps ammo o:

clips.jpg

putting in this thing was nasty. Not only scaling it, but also editing the verts and clipping polys to make it not go thru the floor and have it fit the level properly. Also had to make clips/nodraw blocks so that it has substance in the world and players glide off of it.

outisde.jpg

It turned out pretty decent, looks alright. Need to work on lighting obviously, and some details under the tongue (lava/bricks), etc.

inside.jpg

It's pretty roomy inside. Could probably put the intel in here... dunno

expansion.jpg

Adding this left me with some room up top. I need to figure out what to do up there. I will most likely seal it off somehow, because I don't think people should be going up there, building sentries up there, etc. I'll probably end up shortening the arch, and adding some more pillar detailing to make it look more structural.

Edited by friagram
1 person likes this

I started putting in the entities and spawnrooms, hopefully will be finished soon, new at this so it's taking awhile =(

I don't know exactly where on the map it is, but I feel like the mouth would be a great spot for the intel on CTF. At minimum a health pack or metal drop could be in there.

As for the top, it looks high enough that an engy would have to sentry jump to get up there, which is enough of a feat that I'd be okay with it. If that doesn't work, though, you could have a "train" blow through there every now and then. Or just light the whole place on fire. Or jsut tag it with spawn zone so that nobody can build sentries there. It might be a cool place for soldiers to be able to jump to, though.

I started putting in the entities and spawnrooms, hopefully will be finished soon, new at this so it's taking awhile =(

ur B.S'in us right u seem pro an i cant wait to have this maybe as a vs. saxton hale map