fortydageekist

The Fall of Cartoon Network....

24 posts in this topic

500px-Cartoon_Network_2004-2010_logo.svg.png

To put it simply, their programming highly sucks now compared to their "golden era" (Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy Foster's, Codename: Kids Next Door, etc). If it wasn't for the weak cartoons they still air, it would be just another Nickelodeon which if you know what direction that network is going in isn't a great thing. Once they brought in the "Live-Action" era, I knew for a fact the CN that I grew up watching was done for, now I hardly watch anything they put out. Even Adult Swim has fallen, other than Family Guy, everything else is pretty much utter bullshit "pothead" programming. I mean come on, you have to be under the influence of something to enjoy Childrens Hospital or NTSF:SD:SUV. I can't be the only one to feel this way lol.

Edited by fortydageekist

And you aren't the only one. Cancelling Toonami was the very beginning of their downward spiral. It's obvious Cartoon Network is under new management, and a retarded one at that. I think Toonami was first, the Cartoon Fridays, then a whole bunch of other crap. And what's the point of being called Cartoon Network if all you air is mostly live action?

Please tell me they're leaving Boomerang alone.

I admit I haven't watched Cartoon Network in quite some time. Even then it was generally just to watch King of the Hill on Adult Swim.

Though admittedly most channels don't interest me... matter of fact a week ago me and my roommates decided to flat out cancel our digital cable service since we never watch TV since it's not really worth it since most shows/movies I want to watch I can catch on netflix's/hulu's streaming services.

Adult swim is stupid passed 12:00 Oclock. When robot chicken comes on. And thats because KOTH American Dad! And Family guy arent its work. Cartoon network itself, on the other hand, does have some stupid shows. I miss Ed Edd and Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Doh, KND, and stuff like that.

I'm a fan of robot chicken, but most of Adult Swim's original programming is pretty weak.

I have noticed Cartoon network going to a lot of live-action lately, which I agree is pretty dumb.

I dunno. I like a lot of CN's shows lately. Regular Show, Adventure Time, Johnny Test, Gumball. They're all pretty solid with Adventure Time being this age's Invader Zim without the "herp derp I'm so random lol I love Gir" bit.

Adult Swim... was good in its first year. Not too much original content, just some jank licenses and a lot of anime, some I really enjoyed (Kikaider!). Nowadays, the only thing keeping them afloat is KotH, Family Guy, and American Dad. =/ Always turn the tube off at midnight.

I don't know, regarding Family Guy. Since I believe after season three it's become utter sh*t. The whole show has fallen apart, and the only people who like the recent episodes are hyper middle school children. Who for 1: Don't get most of the jokes. 2: Just laugh at the slapstick. Every time it's on, if it's not an earlier episode I turn it off, and go to my computer.

Generally I think that cartoons have been going down hill since like the 80s.

There were definitely some awesome ones in the 90s, like the ones mentioned at the beginning of this thread. But you rarely see the "good guys vs. bad guys" action and adventure type shows anymore. It's all been replaced with zany weird non-sense--which wouldn't be too bad it it was actually funny. Personally, I blame Spongebob; I think that's a show that has set a trend for really random and weird characters that rely solely on gimmicks and funny voices; I really don't perceive any kind of wit in most modern cartoons like that.

That's really why I appreciate MLP: FiM. A brand new modern cartoon that relies on witty dialogue and a cast of characters that are actually relateable.

I'm going to go ahead and stop now, as I see myself going into soapbox mode. I also apologize to any Spongebob fans, but that's honestly how I feel.

In truth I gave up on CN some years ago, and I rarely watch any TV anymore, but did they really start doing live-action shows? Wasn't their slogan "All cartoons, all the time" or something to that effect?

Edited by Rainbro Dash
2 people like this

I gave up on Nickelodeon. Cartoon Network still has some redeemable programs such as Adventure Time, Regular Show, and hell, even The Amazing Adventures of Gumball.

1 person likes this

Really, aside from a few gems, Cartoon Network is just...bad.

They hold themselves with good shows like Adventure Time, Batman: Brave and the Bold and Regular Show (Have not really sat down and watched Gumball, Ben 10, etc. but I'm sure they're good)

Their downfall is really due to extremely bad shows, reality shows, and the lack of anime.

They dropped toonam,i which one one of their main things keeping them up. Then they started to make real life shows on a channel for cartoons which was a horrible idea. Adult Swim is slowly buying them out. I read somewhere on my news updates on my IPhone that Adult Swim is planning on buying out yet another hour from them so they end at 8 pm

I read somewhere on my news updates on my IPhone that Adult Swim is planning on buying out yet another hour from them so they end at 8 pm

I would totally approve of this. If Adult Swim just became an entire channel all its own, (even by consuming CN) I would be totally okay with that.

Honestly, I cried when Toonami was cancelled, I had just hoped that it would be making a comeback after it went from everyday to just Saturdays, but that was just hopeful thinking. But as of right now Cartoon Network is starting to look good again, what with Adventure Time, Regular Show and all the other stuff. I just wish Toonami came back...

I miss Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, Harvey Birdman, and Sealab 2021, but I love Robot chicken for all its 80's toy references and I thought Titan Maximum was an awesome show. The only show I really look forward to in the evenings anymore is Regular Show, But Gumball and Adventure Time aren't bad, I guess. Oh, and the new Thundercats was ok, but only like 6 episodes to a season? The new Looney Tunes is about 50/50 with me and the Mystery, inc. had potential, but I couldn't get into it.

I really miss Fosters. and Chowder

What really ruins it is that live action crap. It is so lame and obviously badly scripted, I think even little kids notice and think it is stupid.

Don't really think it is fair to say that it's ALL crap though, they have had some good and funny shows like chowder, the marvelous mis-adventures of flapjack, and adventure time (god I love that show) and ya it seems stupid to us of course, but it is meant to appeal to the little kids, and I'm not really sure what the little kids are growing up to like these days.

I agree with everyone on the live action shows. They are pretty terrible. I really only watch Cartoon Network for Adventure Time and occasionally Regular Show.

As for Adult Swim, I hardly ever watch anything other than American Dad and ATHF. Squidbillies has it's moments too I suppose and I always make sure to catch Venture Brothers whenever they happen to show an episode.

I'm very disappointed by cartoon networks new line ups game shows, reality tv shows what is this trash i remember when they supplied great cartoons.

dexters lab, sailor moon, naruto, teen titans, batman, johnny bravo, ed edd and eddy, dragon ball z, powerpuff girls, fosters home for imaginiary friends, codename kids next door why would they have reality shows when they're logo is CARTOON network I think they are trying to aim for teen audiences

It seems like Nick and Cartoon Network trying to aim for older children and push out the "childish" cartoons. Cartoon Network is no longer a channel for all ages, more like 12 or 13 year old boys who use the phrase "dude", too much in a sentence. I don't really find any of the live -action shows on CN appealing either. I do enjoy a good shows on CN, The Regular Show and etc. But, I have noticed lately it seems like CN is putting on and off older shows. Who remembers a couple months ago when CN put on "Two Stupid Dogs"? From what I'm seeing they are also putting "the Flintstones" on week days. Hopefully CN will keep their cartoons first.

Edited by Unlimitedcat

What's interesting about them pushing all these live action shows is that none of them ever seem to stick around for very long at all, yet they keep at it. I suspect these shows are cheaply produced which the execs are keen on, but if they don't perform and the sponsors don't support them, it's still wasted money.

I gave up on Nickelodeon. Cartoon Network still has some redeemable programs such as Adventure Time, Regular Show, and hell, even The Amazing Adventures of Gumball.

yeah cartoonetwork is going down hill but there is still some awesome shows on their channel i just pray they dont fall so low that they reach disney channel and nickelodean level

...true I guess, just does anyone else feel like cartoon network's newer shows look...well to put it nicely, on acid? I mean, they make no sense. this is why the only kid show i love right now is MLP:FIM because children's shows today have fallen in quality completely...remember how much color, songs, good morals/fun, emotions, roundness of characters, intellectual humor, and wonderfully creative concepts shows used to have? Like the rest, I miss Toonami dearly and even went to school for a little while to become an animator. But seeing what's out there now and how little of a chance I had of bringing Toonami back......*sigh*.....sad day indeed...(what is this world coming to? :clownwilleatme: I'm not sure I really wanna know...)

yeah when they dropped toonami i was mad and realized that the station was only going to get worse. What happened to all the good shows i used to watch. Their standards are so low now.