Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tanner Olson

[DENIED] I got muted

13 posts in this topic

I got muted one day for saying in the text chat if rainidear had a voice changer cause i've heard a lot of kids on the internet have a voice changer I didn't mean it in a harsh way I was just wondering so if it is ok if I can get unmuted from the server  

It kinda seems outa character for Raini to do something like this. Her being a nice person and all usualy when I'm on the Texas server. Just leting my opinion fly out there if it's alright.

Unless he actually insulted her or something, I think he should get unmuted, the first time I heard Raini I thought she was faking that voice or it was a kid, then I realized it was her voice (didn't mean to offend you raini :p) so yeh, it's easily misunderstood, maybe just consider this as a warning and unmute him?

One should never question Overlord Raini's decisions. Or her methods of communication.

It kinda seems outa character for Raini to do something like this.

No, it's not. Her Twitch channel has a hard and fast rule about talking about her voice, and I've seen several people on the servers be muted for mentioning or even vaguely joking about voice modulation.

That said, yes, it's stupid, and you should be unmuted.

Edited by MrKenyon

As much as i can understand why it can get annoying consistently hearing jokes or questions regarding voice changer, i haven't seen any notifications or popups anywhere on the server regarding a rule about not bringing up her voice. of course i could've easily missed it somewhere knowing me.

regardless you should be unmuted, its pretty silly if you're just asking a question about it and get muted without any prior knowledge of not addressing her voice.

You will be unmuted, the mutes are usually intended to be round-length. If you really got muted permanently for an offense like this, it is most likely a mistake and will be fixed next time you see an admin on. Just ask to be unmuted, citing the forum appeal you've made which has been approved.

As much as i can understand why it can get annoying consistently hearing jokes or questions regarding voice changer, i haven't seen any notifications or popups anywhere on the server regarding a rule about not bringing up her voice. of course i could've easily missed it somewhere knowing me.

regardless you should be unmuted, its pretty silly if you're just asking a question about it and get muted without any prior knowledge of not addressing her voice.

Nah there's no rule last time I checked. Pretty fuckin bullshit if you ask me.

I usually mute people for this when they repeatedly interrupt me while I am trying to communicate and won't let up about this topic. Curiosity is only a sufficient excuse until it transforms into obnoxious and insulting language/behavior, which is usually where this ends up going. That being said, it is my intention that an individual be muted and not permamuted for this kind of offense in the majority of cases. However, I am usually doing a lot of things when I am on the server (diagnosing/fixing problems, editing/uploading files, etc.), so it is easy for me to hit the wrong bind or type out the wrong thing when I have alt-tabbed back into the game from whatever it was I was doing just to deal with something like this.

The type of people who I intentionally permamute in relation to this subject are those who cross the line into harassing behavior. I permamuted someone yesterday because every time that I was on the server, they would immediately bring up my voice as a discussion topic (even if I had never spoken a word). I had ignored this on two previous occasions, but when they started to insist that assumptions they had about my voice, gender, and identity were "facts they had proven" (their own words), I permamuted them. Once the subject of my voice turns to asinine conspiracy theories and accusations, I've really had enough.

Another example are people who will phrase a question about my voice in an insulting way and ask that question whenever I am on the server. Other people get the impression that the individual is asking the question for the first time and didn't mean to be insulting. I could understand this the first time they asked the question, but it is pretty obvious that they know what they are doing when they ask me that same question in the same insulting way during my second or even fifth encounter with them. When I permamute individuals like this, everyone gets the impression that I permamuted someone who asked "an innocent question," when in actuality that same person has asked that "innocent question" in an insulting way a sufficient number of times to know by now not to keep doing it.

Back to the subject at hand: If you would like me to investigate and remove your permamute, I will need to know your SteamID.

As much as i can understand why it can get annoying consistently hearing jokes or questions regarding voice changer, i haven't seen any notifications or popups anywhere on the server regarding a rule about not bringing up her voice.

Nah there's no rule last time I checked. Pretty fuckin bullshit if you ask me.

The first rule outlined in the MOTD: http://tf2.ponyville.net/motd/

BE RESPECTFUL TO OTHER PLAYERS
Offensive communication of any kind is not tolerated.

Another example are people who will phrase a question about my voice in an insulting way and ask that question whenever I am on the server. Other people get the impression that the individual is asking the question for the first time and didn't mean to be insulting. I could understand this the first time they asked the question, but it is pretty obvious that they know what they are doing when they ask me that same question in the same insulting way during my second or even fifth encounter with them. When I permamute individuals like this, everyone gets the impression that I permamuted someone who asked "an innocent question," when in actuality that same person has asked that "innocent question" in an insulting way a sufficient number of times to know by now not to keep doing it.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, because i have had 1 time where i've experience someone having done this, i'm not saying you're wrong in muting people however considering it seems to be a common occurrence a "note" or "reminder" or something along those lines might be in order to prevent accidental permamutes. just a thought really.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, because i have had 1 time where i've experience someone having done this, i'm not saying you're wrong in muting people however considering it seems to be a common occurrence a "note" or "reminder" or something along those lines might be in order to prevent accidental permamutes. just a thought really.

If I created a rule outlining every conceivable circumstance for violating Rule #1, our MOTD would be pages long without end. The fact of the matter is that if somebody asks about my voice I don't usually mute them outright. It is when people become disrespectful that it becomes a mute and I would do the same if any other player on the server was the unwanted subject of similar remarks or comparisons. That being said, it is something that I should be more diligent about when it comes to keeping record/documenting so that I do not keep someone permamuted by mistake.

I should note however that without knowing the SteamID of this person, there is really no way to know if they were permamuted by mistake or not. As I said, I've permamuted a number of individuals for legitimately violating this rule to the extreme. One such permamute was given out just yesterday and could very well be this poster. I am merely acknowledging the possibility that the permamute was in error and why that might have been the case.

If I created a rule outlining every conceivable circumstance for violating Rule #1, our MOTD would be pages long without end. 

Understandable. maybe if there was a link going to another page explaining violations in detail in case anyone was curious but that would seem like work and probably not a lot of people would click it anyway. 

regardless i do think a bit more diligence is in order. i'd make a silly suggestion to keep track of who asks but considering some people change names more than a criminal on the run that'd be stupid to even try and do.

If I created a rule outlining every conceivable circumstance for violating Rule #1, our MOTD would be pages long without end. 

Understandable. maybe if there was a link going to another page explaining violations in detail in case anyone was curious but that would seem like work and probably not a lot of people would click it anyway. 

regardless i do think a bit more diligence is in order. i'd make a silly suggestion to keep track of who asks but considering some people change names more than a criminal on the run that'd be stupid to even try and do.

:^| 

I don't really get the big deal behind it. If they ask the question more than once, it may be because they didn't get the answer that they were looking for. I doubt most people really do it to be malicious or just do it because they're confused. I can relate with heckling because of how your voice sounds, I went through it my entire life from all spectrums of positive to negative. They could be trolling yes, but i don't think that they are doing it just to get at you considering that most people are just curious. I mean this is the internet, people catch aneurysms whenever they catch a female on it, especially in video games. So it's not a shocker that he'd think you are using a voice changer. I'm pretty sure every girl on the interwebs has gone through the story of "Oh he's really a guy doing x to pretend that he's a she for y reason" which in this case would clearly be false.

The guy in question here could've been asking because he was genuinely curious. In other cases; I agree that it could've been a troll, but it doesn't seem like it's that huge of an issue to really mute people over if they ask it one or more times.

Actually, I discussed this with some other Admins and was reminded that this player had been permanently muted because they are a minor. Their Steam profile states that they just turned 14-years-old. If they asked about my voice, it was unrelated to their permamute. This goes back to what I was saying earlier about bystanders on the server judging the situation when they do not possess all of the facts about it. Although, in this case, our most vocal bystanders are individuals who were not present and possessed no facts at all.

tanner.png

Thread locked.