Techie

Ashamed to be a Brony?

40 posts in this topic

I think I may have been a wannabe brony at some point early on when the fandom started to take off, when FiM was still new (I hadn't actually gotten around to watching all the show's episodes until much later though) but I guess I mostly just liked the pony characters because, all things considered, they're pretty awesome and have a fair bit of character depth. With the fandom being geared towards a feminine audience, it was something different from what I was used to at the time so that was fun, new and exciting for me ^_^

Nowadays though I try to distance myself from the term "brony" because I think the term has shifted to imply someone who's a more hardcore fan, who really goes out of their way to worship the fandom and joins groups of similarly hardcore devoted fans, who might design crafts outside the caliber I'd be capable of or have every song memorized or can quote every full episode verbatim...basically my level of devotion to the series honestly isn't on that level. It's not shameful to be a brony, although sometimes there are creepy people with toxic personalities who will identify themselves as "bronies"...usually those people are going through an identity crisis and they tend to be the type to start drama, they don't really define the brony fandom though...I think they just join in on it to try something different in an attempt to find themselves, really. It's sort of like "otaku" in Japanese. The actual term means "obsession" where people might get a little too far into an anime fandom, that they might even start to get disillusioned from reality and exhibit odd behaviors, though in some cases their devotion can bring out a phenomenal creative side, to the point where they can even make news headlines.

Well, either way, I'm an anime fan, and I like vidya games and I enjoy watching the MLP cartoon and like the characters, but I'm not really an otaku or a brony... ^^' Going full dive into a fandom just isn't my thing I guess lol. But if it is for you, if you feel it's who you are, you should embrace it! Always embrace yourself and who you are. It's a good philosophy to live by :)

When a lot of bronies go through this, not most of them do. I'm no angel though. I did go through this phase for many years at School keeping this info private. It's only been like a year since I announced it. I got many bullies on my back because of it. Even one of my greater friends turned on me because of it. The phase I went through caused a lot of stress when people started to ask questions about things. It's because I had to lie about it. This phase affected my Social Life too. I didn't really want to talk to people since I thought they'd just ask questions. I was depressed. I got out of the phase when one of my friends admitted to be a Brony. I started backing them up when bullies came around. He did the same thing when I admitted too. I admitted the week after he did. It felt good to admit it. That's why I started going in the community deeper like on forums and such.

I know how you feel, but I also have learned that beeing ashamed is leading you nowhere.

After I first started watching MLP I was also thinking "should I tell it my close frends, will they treat me different if I do?"

But it was not like I was going to everyone and telling them, it was a little more subtile.

The first thing they noticed was a desktop picture of the mane 6, and to my suprise everyone I know and care about was cool about it. (even the ones who I thought would have a problem with that)  Some of them even tried watching an episode, but most of them discovered that it`s not their cup of tea.

When I first performed a little 4 track live concert at the wedding of a friend, I felt a little bit ashamed to and belive me that is nothing you want on stage to happen. But everything turned out ok, so that feeling of shame quickly disapeared.

Just be yourself and eventually everything will turn out just fine.

I never seen myself as a brony...

But I love many works across the internet with art, videos and humor

Screw the haters!

You found something that you enjoy. Keep it up!

I'll admit that I don't like some of the darker sides of the fandom. But I've never been ashamed of liking a show :3

I watch some things that would be considered kids shows. Gravity Falls, Steven Universe (arguably), MLP, just to name a few.

On the internet I can't say I ever felt ashamed, the following on the internet is so huge that I never really felt embarrassed as there's so many people to back me up.

Offline though I keep it to myself, although it is pretty embarrassing having to explain to your parents/friends why you have pony plushes in your room.

On 5/17/2014 at 8:07 AM, Techie said:

I've recently become a brony, and I just feel... Ashamed to like a show about pink and purple ponies... Is this a phase most bronies go through or am I just an odd one out?

I feel like that at time, " How can i like this show i thought it was for girls " but i forget about it and wait for Season 6

Well im not a brony.. But i can say: There is no reason to be ashamed about somthing that you like c: nobody should feel ashamed for for stuff that they like.. Unless its illegal .x.

Well. I don't count myself as brony , just because I seen only a 1st season . And Be ashamed about being Brony? Why? You love your stuff, And Don't give a fuck about others. You love what you Love, Thats it.

In public, it's brought up time to time. The few shirts i still have i wear at home for bed.

Can't say I'm ashamed, but I just don't enjoy here people follow up with "oh god."

I also just bought myself the 3-Movie bundle of Equestria Girls, and i still have a few pins on my jacket, soo uhh... I'm hanging around in the caboose of this train, you know?

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2014 at 9:07 AM, Techie said:

I've recently become a brony, and I just feel... Ashamed to like a show about pink and purple ponies... Is this a phase most bronies go through or am I just an odd one out?

I hate to say it, but you may very well be the odd one out. I am a brony, and proud of it.

Pretty old topic but I'd like to add, the reason people feel some type of way about something is mainly because they want to make sure they fit in to society. There was a point in time where pink was considered masculine, and people often dress their children - usually boys - in pink.

Once you rule out society in determining whether you should feel ashamed or not, you'll feel a giant weight being lifted off your shoulders. Do what you what, say what you want, look how you want, as long as nobody gets hurt.