Arokhantos™

Strategic voting, and lazy voting 4 5 or 6

23 posts in this topic

People often vote only 4 5 6, or vote for the map they like and is winning the vote, or either counter vote the map that is getting 2e best votes.

The fact is most of the time the same maps are on, and newer less played maps never stand a chance.

The standard vote for everyone is 4 all the time to extend the map.

It be nice if people could not see what maps are being voted on, and if extend was also random option, not always 4 but sometimes 9 8 or 7 6 5 etc rather.

Anyway the most annoying thing is, its always the same maps that are on, crevice castlesiege 2fortdesk etc.

rockslide_2

spotline_r1a

etc etc.

I rarely see those maps on ever.

It be nice if !nominate could be taken away to from normal vsp, and only avaible for funbox server EU server and tokyo server since they have deathrun, primarly because sometimes their only dr maps on vote list and no one wants to play deathrun, causing the server to suddenly lose half of its players.

Anyway normal vsp texas does't need !nominate tbh , and its only used to keep the most popular maps on all the time.

Anyway i hope something can be done about it, perhaps more maps, and bigger map cooldowns could be added also so the map cycle is bit longer then just 2fortdesk crevice castlesiege etc etc.

tldr

What needs be done.

bigger map cooldowns so they cannot be nominated still after like 5 6 maps, so newer less popular maps stand a chance.

Map votes not being visible, so strategic voting becomes a lot harder.

Extend not always being option 4, and less popular maps always being 4 5 6, more popular maps being 7 8 9, extend is always random option.

Edited by Arokhantos™
4 people like this

The most picked maps are the ones where Snipers are popular and really overpowered. And alot of people are voting for those maps cus of it.

Since there are no Sniper limit, and we're playing on those specific maps. Like half of the team picks Sniper and I see the amount of Snipers are like over 10 (seen 17 snipers once). And the opens will be a way too dangerous place for the boss where he will get knocked all over the place.

Snipers really needs a limit. A maximum of 6 Snipers would be fine.

Edited by ThunderRunner
2 people like this

People will always mindlessly press 4, 5 or 6.  They do it just to get rid of it. 

I'm all for having Extend be random, but not taking away !nominate since new maps are played sometimes because of it.

May just need to add bigger map cooldown instead before map can be nominated again, after it has been played.

Like standard map cooldown if not extended 60 minuts, 90 minuts if extended, before it can be nominated again.

The most picked maps are the ones where Snipers are popular and really overpowered.

Since there are no Sniper limit, and we're playing on those specific maps. Like half of the team picks Sniper and I see the amount of Snipers are like over 10 (seen 17 snipers once). And the opens will be a way too dangerous place for the boss where he will get knocked all over the place.

Snipers really needs a limit. A maximum of 6 Snipers would be fine.

I remember that one time friagram was on the server, and their where like 20+ snipers on the server.

Edited by Arokhantos™

I'd have to agree. Nominate! does take huge advantage of poeple pressing 4,5 or 6. Also I would like to see different maps being played. Mostly all thats picked are maps that favor the players over the hale. Boring

3 people like this

I agree on the larger cooldown because how it is right now... the same four or three maps can be played over and over again.

1 person likes this

I100 percent agree with this. I am sick of seeing the same map over and over again. The change would be nice for every one on the taxes and fun box server.

1 person likes this

This is the part of where Moderators such as I can easily change the same ol' bland map into a different map all because of this reason, but no somehow there was a big uproar because of it.

And now this has become a problem?  All I can say is, if there was an actual cooldown upon the mapvotes, say 15 hours or unless if all maps are voted on, we can see the same map be selected upon the mapvote.  What will be more beneficial is if the selections were set on 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0.

This is the part of where Moderators such as I can easily change the same ol' bland map into a different map all because of this reason, but no somehow there was a big uproar because of it.

And now this has become a problem?  All I can say is, if there was an actual cooldown upon the mapvotes, say 15 hours or unless if all maps are voted on, we can see the same map be selected upon the mapvote.  What will be more beneficial is if the selections were set on 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0.

15 hour cooldown per map would mean at some point their only option to vote 1 map or non at all.

Also the problem is if moderator changes map forcefully like that one time i'm sure you remember, the current hale waste their round and loses their queue points, their been quite a few who have complained about this, even few that so upset about it that they don't wanna donate anymore.

Reasonable way of map cooldowns would be 60 minuts if map was't extended and 90 minutes if it was extended.

Lets asume every map last 30 minutes, their 20 maps that would mean, most newer less popular maps would have better chance being voted, because the popular maps are not on the votelist for long enough time.

A lot of less popular maps that are voted lot less aren't bad at all, some are very good but never are voted.

I'm not good at calculating best map cooldown etc, but the rough idea is popular maps won't get back on nominate list till its been through least 75% of the maps that are avaible on nominate list.

Funbox tokyo and EU suffer these problems a lot less because their always a chance that their death run maps on votelist that no one wants to vote, and their always least 1 random vsh map on, usually less popular map, unless people use nominate.

Putting long enough map cool down would give lesser maps fair chance, and prevent same 3 4 maps being on the servers all the time.

2 people like this

15 hour cooldown per map would mean at some point their only option to vote 1 map or non at all.

Also the problem is if moderator changes map forcefully like that one time i'm sure you remember, the current hale waste their round and loses their queue points, their been quite a few who have complained about this, even few that so upset about it that they don't wanna donate anymore.

Reasonable way of map cooldowns would be 60 minuts if map was't extended and 90 minutes if it was extended.

Lets asume every map last 30 minutes, their 20 maps that would mean, most newer less popular maps would have better chance being voted, because the popular maps are not on the votelist for long enough time.

A lot of less popular maps that are voted lot less aren't bad at all, some are very good but never are voted.

I'm not good at calculating best map cooldown etc, but the rough idea is popular maps won't get back on nominate list till its been through least 75% of the maps that are avaible on nominate list.

Funbox tokyo and EU suffer these problems a lot less because their always a chance that their death run maps on votelist that no one wants to vote, and their always least 1 random vsh map on, usually less popular map, unless people use nominate.

Putting long enough map cool down would give lesser maps fair chance, and prevent same 3 4 maps being on the servers all the time.

i completely agree with this because it would make the map rotations much better

yus pls. extend map is always picked, it kinda gets out of hand. default maps are pretty overlooked, too.

If the 15 hour thing is too much, then how about at least 5 hours?  This should be enough for most of the maps for them to be voted on and enough to wet the whistle for those who seeks variety in their map.

If the 15 hour thing is too much, then how about at least 5 hours?  This should be enough for most of the maps for them to be voted on and enough to wet the whistle for those who seeks variety in their map.

As long that does't give issues with only being deathrun maps on vote list on for example funbox EU server and tokyo server then i guess thats fine.

The general idea is that every map has a chance least to be voted least once a day, though 5 hours may still be to long and bit overkill, though the default map cooldowns are defiantly to short they shoulld be least 2 times longer.

Edited by Arokhantos™

I actually agree with all of you too.. How about we also make it like a lot of servers i have seen were you use the F1 F2 and F3 keys and so on to vote..This means they couldn't just mash the 4,5, or 6 keys becuase they would have to look and pick what they wanted..PoniPoniPoni has done this and it has worked for them..So give it some thought.

1 person likes this

I agree with Steel Cresent here. As a frequent PoniPoniPoni visitor myself, i've noticed that the f-keys system forces people to actually think about what map they want to play, instead of just randomly pressing a numer because they aren't used to those f-keys. Thus it would be nice if the current system would switch the number keys for the f-keys.
I am also liking the idea to just randomly assigning numbers to maps every time there is a vote.

I am also wondering why there is still an extend option... isn't half an hour enough for one map?

(P.S. this is my first post, ever, so It might look a little bad...)

I agree with Steel Cresent here. As a frequent PoniPoniPoni visitor myself, i've noticed that the f-keys system forces people to actually think about what map they want to play, instead of just randomly pressing a numer because they aren't used to those f-keys. Thus it would be nice if the current system would switch the number keys for the f-keys.

I am also liking the idea to just randomly assigning numbers to maps every time there is a vote.

I am also wondering why there is still an extend option... isn't half an hour enough for one map?

(P.S. this is my first post, ever, so It might look a little bad...)

Not bad with your first post on here Koekeibag, in fact when I spent my time over at the poniponiponi servers I really don't see people blaming other people for "randomly" selecting a map, so this could also be used in consideration to solve this "random map voting" problem.

I personally dont enjoy the map voting system. Not only does it distract me from the hale and gets me killed, but it disables the 2 and 3 key. So i if want to run away from.the hale to get health as solly, or bring out my medigun to uber, my options of these are.deminished because of it. However, using the F1, F2 and so on buttons can allow players to do things i said that get restricted from buttons getting disabled during the voting. Lastly, is there a way to make it so only dead players can vote, i know it sounds unfair for players that survive till last player, but it would help them not die because of the overlay and disabled buttons.

I agree with Arok's first post about the voting. I had a similar idea, where the choices were scrambled for everyone. For example, Arok might see extend on 4, Steel might see it on 7, and I might see it on 6. But I like his idea better. I also like the thought of switching it to the F1 keys to keep from disabling the number row while fighting, people mashing 4 so that they can keep fighting, or people dying because they're trying to actually take the time and carefully vote.

I do think 15 hours is a bit long, since people get on the server at different times. That might cause people to miss their favorite map that's only played a few times a day. Five hours also seems a bit long. Two and a half to three hours might be better.

I do have a couple of things to add. The yellow text for voting can be hard to see sometimes, especially when you are fighting. Maybe a different color, something brighter so the choices can be more easily seen. Or maybe have the lettering have some sort of outline or shadowing. I don't know if that's possible.

The other thing I wanted to add was change the time of the voting. Voting every ten minutes makes it seem so constant, and to be honest, a little irritating. I think the vote should be moved to 2 minutes and 30 seconds until the map ends, with a 15 second warning beforehand starting at 2 minutes and 45 seconds until the map ends. Then give 30 seconds to vote. That should give plenty of time before the map switch. If people happen to want to extend, then when the vote ends and is confirmed, the map would give another  10 minutes, making it 12 when the vote ends. That way, extended maps still remain a half hour long.

Oh, and a cute little sound effect for when the voting is about to start or does start would be cute, too.  :delighted:           

2 people like this

yay.. Im happy to see everyone is loving F-Keys idea..I really hope this get's put in beacuase it would be a lot better than the number keys being used to vote plus Zari makes a VERY good point about the voting getting in the way of switching weapons..i have died a number of times becasue of this and even lost points too..Plus asound playing when the vote is about to start would be nice too :3

3 people like this

Sadly that is how tf2 voting has always been. Mash the top-most option (that isn't No Vote) to get it off the screen.

Longer map cooldowns would fix the problem.

Also, I don't think 'new maps' being picked is a concern since skeith's map is a very popular pick. It's just what maps they feel like cycling through.

No way to do a extended delay scale? say if a map gets voted in twice soon after its cooldown, it then gets a slightly longer cooldown until some arbitrary time point is reached to reset its delay back to normal.

I'm guilty myself of hitting random numbers to get the map vote off sometimes. I'm also guilty of picking many of the popular maps which dominate.