sarysa

Looking for testers for a boss I'm working on

41 posts in this topic

Well, this is awkward. I'm working on a boss that unlike my others, I'm actually releasing the code to the public. (and I've already pledged to elsewhere so I can't reneg, heh, see my alliedmodders post) It has very unique mechanics, and I'd hope to get the go-ahead to make a pony version (sent Raini a PM) as a super thin excuse to add it to VSP (think Judge Stallione) but well, yeah...here's a demonstration with more bugs and less polish than the current version:

Ironically, if there were a pony version of her, it'd probably be released on VSP sooner than anywhere else, cause converting the actual character model from Unreal Engine would take a very long time.

Anyway, I'm looking to test her extensively tonight at 10pm eastern/7pm pacific, since I imagine most folks will be available around then. I plan on using MC Village, Nucleus, and maybe Lumberyard for testing.

I need to find bugs, balance issues, see what Bananable our resident game-breaker can do, etc. Aside from VSP being kind of a home server for me, it's also the place where I can find people who have most of the resources in my downloads folder already. ;) But testers will still need these:

http://www.pamelabowman.org/wiki/index.php?title=Thi

So sorry for the short notice, but spread the word. Feel free to add me on steam "sarysa" since I dunno what my IP is TBH and since my test server is my gaming PC, it can change whenever Verizon feels like changing it. Hope to see a good turnout. :)

Edited by sarysa
3 people like this

Something tells me that I'll accidentally be using this Hale as a rocket-jumping nightmare, being that this is kind of a habit I developed when playing Soldier in almost every game mode.

But, hopefully I'll be around when testing comes by, so I call dibs on testing the boss' "mobility" when using those variant rocket launchers.

1 person likes this

Yeah, rocket jumping was tricky...and GIMPY got the first look at the hacked rocket jumping I included. It drove him nuts but he's also an expert, so I can understand the frustration of having to do it wrong when he spends so much time practicing a very, VERY precise technique.

The problem is it's the least of many evils, the evils I can remember being (in least to greatest severity IMO):

- My hackish rocket jumping

- No rocket jumping

- Hacking the FF2 code to re-enable self damage (most server operators either won't allow this or wouldn't know how, even with instructions)

- Not allowing weighdown while rocket is equipped. (also requires the above) Problem with this is a newer player could get juggled to their demise easily, and seasoned players would be very confused.

Though based on GIMPY's reactions, I've included an error message that will hopefully let people know they shouldn't crouch while doing Thi's rocket jumps. I can imagine experts wouldn't want to try it at all as it'd probably throw them off their game when they went back to real RJ, but hopefully most other people would find it manageable...

Fun fact, btw: The reason Lauren Faust is able to receive knockback from the ion cannon is because she doesn't own the explosion generated by it. (that, and the artificial knockback is indiscriminate)

Edited by sarysa

This may be a stretch, but what about including a rocket jumper as part of the character's loadout?  Although I guess this isn't necessary because of the boss's jump pad prop.  Other option is perhaps give this Hale the B.A.S.E. Jumper, although at the cost of the Hale being juggled to death.

Funny that GIMPY said the same thing, but aside from that not fixing the issue with RJ to begin with (FF2 would still filter it out, weighdown still a problem) but seeing how this hale gets a good amount of rockets (which I forgot to mention have no splash damage dropoff, a feature I added since ROTT was the same way), mobility shouldn't be cheap. A hale with a bottomless rocket jumper would be more OP than Braeburn currently is with the 3 second super jump.

The jump pads do provide reusable mobility, keep in mind...

Edited by sarysa

Welp, testing has concluded. Got a list of things to do and fun was had by most and/or all. I think I maxed around 16 concurrent users on my crappy home connection. Some screenshots of the little event:

thi_testing1.jpg

thi_testing2.jpg

thi_testing3.jpg

And, of course, the Zengineer. (so zen)

Thanks to all who participated.

Edited by sarysa

Gah, I was watching a movie when this happened. If you have another testing session, hit me up. I'll happily be a guinea pig.

I gotta say, this was a really fun experience. After you left the server, Sarysa, we kept on playing for at least three more hours.

I'll gladly volunteer to test stuff whenever you need testers. It's always a good experience and we get to see first hand what's next to come! If I'm around and available, you can count me in. :)

Edited by Mike Dragon

I'll Gladly Help you with Any Testing in the Future Sarysa... Just Let me Know Via Steam Chat or Pm...

I think it's relatively easy to turn her into a pony, like it was done with judge dredd, I could probably do it, even if it doesn't get used or it doesn't look good in the end.

Edit

Not a good result, but I think she has the potential to a pony model, it just needs a lot more details, so it looks like a ponified character, not just a recolor.

hhjLW5w.jpg

Edited by No Name
3 people like this

Gotta be a scout, but damn that was fast. Would definitely save me time if you made it. Also looking for Unicorn. (given all the unnatural weaponry) She is quite female, though, probably needs just basic top eyelashes too since she is special ops and all. ;P I'd figure she'd be a bokukko like RBD, so RBD-like qualities wouldn't hurt. Maybe brighter red highlights somewhere...mix her two different shades of red from ROTT.

Oh neat, got the go-ahead from Raini. The only pony name I could come up with after looking up equestrian terms is Thi Billett. (instead of Thi Barrett, it seems Billet is some equestrian term lol)

Here's references to the human version:

thi.png

The tattoo (though obviously it's truncated. damn.)

Edited by sarysa

So if it accounts for something, so far this boss is Super-Effective against Engineers and their buildings, however the rockets can be countered by the Short Circuit.  Obviously, this would come at the cost of metal, but that can be easy for the Engineers if they can manage to get their dispensers up at a safe and accessible location.  How they will do so, it's up to them.

However, I'd like to see how this boss will fare against Spellbook Magic and see if she will succumb to the same fate.

As for the model, I'd like to see of how she'll look with not only the Soldier model, but the Scout and Demoman model as well (can't hurt to trial and error, right?).

Scout model, ok, will do. I actually don't know much about about ROTT, like, when the game was released I was only 1 yr old :p

But I liked the character and the soundtrack, so I did a research about the character, was even thinking about addind her tattoo, but I couldn't find it anywhere except the actress they used to make her, but I couldn't find any picture where I can copy the tattoo from

I also was thinking about giving her a jeans coat, like the one she's wearing on that picture, and use a brighter color for her skin, something like this

sDZlsrN.jpg

(WIP, I'll try addind more details to not just look like a jeans skin). And since scout's model is a v1 (and I learned how to export UV maps...), and it doesn't uses mirrored textures, I could even add that rip on her left leg without the need of a extra texture. I'll see what I can do about the hair, I think it's easy if I use vinyl's base UV's

Edit: oh, and the eyelashes...I always forget them, haha.

Edited by No Name
1 person likes this

I just don't like the trend of Soldier everything. The soldier's a freaking psychopath with slow and serious movements, while this character is a nimble special ops agent. The only reason it's used so much as a base is because the first hale ever was a soldier and that's been used for physical properties pertaining to balance. It's easier for folks to work with them in that regard, but I've already worked out everything balance-related for a scout.

Demo personality (the antsy drunk) and use of swords doesn't fit well either, but also there's only alicorn bases. I'd expect Demo to probably civilian out with the weapons as well. I know they all work on a scout.

Edited by sarysa

And I could make a non-alicorn base from demoman's model, just decapitate it and merge with a new head. I'll do both, demoman and scout, then post a gif with their movements...even though I think she needs a double jump, so it needs to be a scout to avoid it entering on a refference animation (pancake).

Noname I'm definitely liking the lighter grey better than the darker grey.

She doesn't and will never double jump. Hell ROTT 1994 didn't even have single jump (had to use jump pads) and ROTT 2013, no characters had double jump. They were just all very fast.

The tattoo was just a minor suggestion. It'd be very hard to replicate and I wouldn't push that down your throat heh.

Edited by sarysa

What about jump height overall?  Did the character, because of her mobility have a high-jump, or is it just a fairly normal jump?

What about jump height overall?  Did the character, because of her mobility have a high-jump, or is it just a fairly normal jump?

Just an ordinary jump. She has to pay for her mobility, be it in rockets or props.

Keep in mind, though, she starts off at 400HUPS, which is scout speed, and still gets the typical ramp-up. So she's not exactly Cheese Sandwich in that regard.

Edited by sarysa

new favorite boss, and i havent even tried it out yet. gg.

i'll test it if you want me to if i'm online (which is most of the time)

and for your rhetorical question in the tags, i'd pay for the answer to be yes.

Edited by Rainford

Here's an update, scout version, with gradient colors instead of flat colors

fOqniUd.jpg

I'll do demoman's version tomorrow, as it will take a little extra time to swap his princess head with a simple, female head

Edit: Also decimated vinyl's mane and tail for that, it had waaay too much polygons, reduced by 80% and it's hard to notice any differences.

Edited by No Name
4 people like this

Sarysa testing was Great  :lol: !

Adding the factor where we didn't actually played in Vs.Ponyville settings( might resolve some of the issues?)

During testing ( b-4 we actually played) we came across:

~ Pyro's could reflect all the hales "rage-rockets" except the "Fire-bomb", in which case it explodes before reflection, or does not respond to reflection.

~ The prop's ( jump-pad , angled-jump pad , pads, slicer ) all have missing textures?

~ (glitch i guess) where the hale stands on the floor and the "jump-pad" & "pads" spawn underground (leaves a black shade in the floor. (rendering not working)) :derphatin: 

When we actually played (unsure) :

~(opinion) How spam-able the props are? could be used to block area's with the slicer and give the boss a huge buff?

~The unlimited ammo pistol for the hale seems balanced (Kills running scouts and pyro's blowing back from a distance) ,although it takes the demo-man's shield away with one shot, and probably the snipers razor back along with it?

~ "rage-rockets" (unclear) also take away shields, If done right with a demo-man the "firebomb" could be avoided with the cost of a shield.

~ The rage  "god-mode & heat seeker rockets?", they seem a bit overkill adding the factor the hale could switch between rockets?(and also has the ability to rage for a firebomb) the"god-mode" rockets shot are similar to the G.A.P Trixie's "sticky bomb rage" but don't quite as fallow well in angles and are better than the " standard heat seeker rockets" alone given to the hale by the "rage" :flutter-stare: 

~ The "god-mode & heat seeker rockets" rocket shots look like the missing texture props the hale spawns with the jump-pads, angled jump pads and pads

~ The hale could also probably get stuck with the jump-pads, angled jump-pads, pads? (somehow)

~ how about when the hale plays in maps such as volcanic and falls into the lava pit?

That's about all of it i could find so far?

When you announced testing for the hale in the Texas Vs.ponyville which was non-pony & non-fandom related noticed sorta got negative and low responses from public :huh: ? It looks like it is going to be like another judge dredd type of hale (i guess) &  ponified which probably most of the players care about? still doesn't matter in my opinion its still good to have variation to take a new step or add on into in the vs.ponyville and development  :flip: .

my opinion on the hale is players with different skill have a more than fair chance with this hale if they know the functionality of the hale,although it seems to op by the hales rage rockets and prop arsenal it isn't op again it is team-fortress 2, the hale is just tricky to face off with alone just like how many others are with their specific type of rage. The hale does need more testing to other factors such as vs.ponyville settings and spellbook spells.

*so far the hales update on the model really good as it looks finished already( i don't know much about coding itself so idk)

:clopclop:

Looking forward to moar testing and its release Sarysa :D
Edited by wolf5477

No Name, I'm really loving the scout version. I don't expect to really like a demo version.

Only thing is the body seems off. Did you turn off smoothing with it or is it something that's always been an issue with female scouts? (Cheese and Button had extensive body modifications)

Oh, other thing is have you tried adding the shirt to the scout?

Oh yeah, do you know how to add an attachment point at the horn? Might be sensible to give her a particle effect since she's always doing something very unnatural for ponies. :P

Edited by sarysa