Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koekelbag

How did you join the herd?

29 posts in this topic

Exactly what it says on the tin.

How did you join the mlp-fandom?

Did you enjoy the previous generations or were you enraptured by the new style?
Did you discover the magic of friendship alone, or did friends give you a hand?
Was it the show, comics, games, youtube-vids, fanfics, artwork, imageboards (4chan in particular) or something else?

I'm just interested in how many ways one could hook up with the herd...

Edited by Koekelbag

My entry into the fandom was a little bit drawn out.

It all started when I was on a Garry's Mod theater server.  I walked into a private theater that was showing the episode with the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well.  I was about to run out of the theater when I decided to suck it up and actually watch it to see if the show was as bad as everyone was saying it was.  Needless to say, I enjoyed it so much that it gave me a new respect for bronies.  Still, I didn't consider myself a part of the fandom.

Over the next few months, I became more and more "ponycurious".  Starting with forays into the My Little Brony section of Geek Universe on Memebase, I slowly expanded into youtube and started watching Princess Molestia dubs.  Like most people, not only did APM get me into the Tumblrpon scene, but it also got me interested in the show to the point where I got up the guts to sit down, boot up netflix, and start watching it from season 1.  I've been hooked ever since.

Right about 3 years ago I was terribly lonely and a bit depressed and badly needed something nice to distract myself with. I'd seen pony stuff around on the internet before and never thought much of it, but I couldn't think of anything else to do so I decided to watch Friendship is magic. I was skeptical at first and the theme song made me cringe, but I powered through it and quickly came to love the series. There was nearly a whole season to watch at the time, so it kept me busy for a while and proved to be a very nice distraction. For that, ponies are rather special to me. It helped me get through a terrible time and gave me something I could enjoy for years to come.

I've never particularly participated in the fandom at all, but I do generally like it. There's so many lovely stories and games(and TF2 mods) to enjoy.

It's entirely this community's fault. I kid you not. I found the California server back in autumn of 2012, played on vanilla a number of time, my dense self completely unaware of VSP's existence or I would've been hooked sooner. I thought it was cute nonetheless and the quotes were funny...people were friendly, etc. Then I watched one episode, liked it but I generally wasn't all that big into media at the time so it ended there for awhile. Then when I found VSP and realized it was linked to that same vanilla TF2 community from a year ago, I liked it for the same reasons but now you added my favorite game mode (VSH/FF2) to the mix. I figured I'd watch through the series and wasn't really disappointed...though in reality I prefer the fan-made stuff...which I've seen way too much of.

Not being all that communal by nature, though, don't expect me at any conventions. :P Hell I've never been to any trek conventions and I only went to anime conventions since RL friends were there and after I moved 400 miles from SoCal to NorCal, I needed an excuse to see them again.

Edited by sarysa

Wanna know how I got involved?

Saw this video on facebook (cancerous site, I know): 

Manged to pique on my interest on this show.  Little did I know, that I would then wished to find out of how and where this all developed from.  And that's how I first discovered the deep webs, and learned that there was a fandom that came out of this show, all formed on 4chan.  What also helped is that I would then discover this gem before I even got into Steam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9Zyu1d0qw

Which then got me into the game and saved me from the dark world of console gaming.  Took me a damn good while before I finally found these servers & community (although I did spent a good amount of time on poniponiponi.  After dealing with and standing up to a former VSP admin & his minions, as well as discovering the Vanilla TF2 subcommunity & the people who once populated the forum chat, comes to me now: a hardened TF2 player looking for competition & once-in-a-while play around with other games with the remaining admins and mods (with some former), even if it comes to go on a pub-stomp session.  Little did I also know: after 13 years of last being involved with it, and 16 years after playing it: I re-joined the Pokemon world thanks to this community & members who inspired me to pick the franchise back up.

(p.s. watch X/Y: from after doing research, it's a hell of a lot better than Best Wishes)

I was watching some SpongeBob videos when suddenly this came up on the side bar back in the fall of 2011.

I was skeptical of joining at first but I started to watch some of the MLP clips, the music and etc. The rest is history. I haven't been a fan of the show since December-ish though.

I watched Happy Tree Friends until Smile HD came up in the recommended section an was very interested in this matter. I eventually found other gory stuff like Cupcakes and BonBons, it wasn't until i found the server 3 days before Christmas 2013 that i actually wanted to watch the show. I found the server on a tf2 game play video with Pinkimena in it. Players there told me its worth a watch so i did. Dash mai story.

Oddly, I watched the first episode on youtube roughly a month after it was released. Found it to not be as bad as I had anticipated, and actually enjoyed the art style used for the cartoon. Been watching it ever since.

Friend of mine found out about the show and made me and her husband sit down and shotgun the whole series over a weekend (S1-S3).

I revenge I showed her all the hotdiggtiydemon movies and friendship is witchcraft.

Perhaps I did do Murdershy's voice a time or two for her. In public.

I regret nothing.

A few years back one of my friends convinced me to take a look at the show over the summer. At first I thought it wasn't bad but just not for me. Told him that and we just wound up changing the topic. About a year ago when I was entering college I ran into another one of my friends and we got to talking about a youtuber we both watch by the name of "The Fiery Joker" and he told me to take a look into his MLP reviews. I thought why not? Didn't have homework that day and I had nothing better to do. I spent the next 4 hours watching and rewatching the reviews. After a bit he showed me Antony C's reviews of the show and after about a week of me going through different reviews and stuff I wound up watching the season 2 premiere as it seemed to appeal the most to me... Well I wound up watching all of season 1 and am partway through season 2 now where I've come to a halt due to real life matters, still plan on continuing it though and I've been enjoying my stay ever since.

I was playing computer game When It played.

My first Ep is Fall winter friend

And I know at that time Why many people like this show

I honestly didn't know MLP: FiM for two years after it's release.

I was in the middle of moving and my whole family was crammed into a hotel room, it's extremely difficult to live in a small one bathroom, one room, hotel room with 9 people. I was sitting around and saw a promo for the royal wedding, checked out the show and fell in love with it.

Mainly with Nightmare Moon, JUST LOOK AT HER!! GMAH!

Nightmare_moon_by_moongazeponies-d3jw0ny

Anyway I ended up getting teased by my brother until he became a slight fan and watched episodes with me.

A year after it was released, i wanted to stay away from it cause i thought it was gonna be ones of those shows but after that i made a friend who really liked the show and so i watched a couple and here i am, a table top full of collectibles and drawing ponies

:orly:

I babysit my nieces and children's programming tends to be terrible.  One night I got so fed up with the stuff they watched I turned on Netflix for ideas to put in front of them.  I actually avoided MLP for a long time but eventually cranked it up to give it a try.  As I watched the first few shows I decided it wasn't too bad and kept going.

Exactly what it says on the tin.

How did you join the mlp-fandom?

Did you enjoy the previous generations or were you enraptured by the new style?

Did you discover the magic of friendship alone, or did friends give you a hand?

Was it the show, comics, games, youtube-vids, fanfics, artwork, imageboards (4chan in particular) or something else?

I'm just interested in how many ways one could hook up with the herd...

Well my brother.. Here is how it goes.

One fine day, I was on the interwebs, on Facebook. And i started seeing these groups and people who look like.. PONIES.

So, out of curiosity, I went to check it out. But then, I see they were roleplaying, something I was very familiar of.. But they were doing it in a very weird way.. In a very pony way. So, I went to do a little research on what was that. Then I came across the words "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" and i see all these very well-designed ponies. Very cute. I did more research. These "Bronies" were very hooked to the show. And this perked my interest into this show. So, I decided to watch one on YouTube. Season 2. Episode 1. This very one episode got me hooked. I continued to watch and watch. Till the end. And from there, I thought. I am a Pegasister. I am... 

HOOKED. And I did research on finding these people. I at first felt very ashamed and embarrassed to tell my peers of my strange interest in cute magical little ponies. But as weeks and months went by.. I felt very welcomed, got stumbled with some rude people in the society but then, the people here taught me how to love and care. I don't give a shit about people who oppose to my interests. 

Because those who matter don't mind. 

And those who mind, don't matter.

I was enthralled into the new art style. Of course, when I was doing my research on this, I saw the old design. To me they looked very.. Creepy. I am glad they remade it into something more kid-friendly, I think. 

Obviously I did discover this on my own. With a little hints dropped by my very few friends who were Bronies. It all started with facebook. But if you are asking me what peaked my interest in to show, I would say the roleplayers on facebook and the imageboards on 4chan.

The end. *closes a very small book while coughing*

Wanna know how I got involved?

Saw this video on facebook (cancerous site, I know): 

Manged to pique on my interest on this show.  Little did I know, that I would then wished to find out of how and where this all developed from.  And that's how I first discovered the deep webs, and learned that there was a fandom that came out of this show, all formed on 4chan.  What also helped is that I would then discover this gem before I even got into Steam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF9Zyu1d0qw

Which then got me into the game and saved me from the dark world of console gaming.  Took me a damn good while before I finally found these servers & community (although I did spent a good amount of time on poniponiponi.  After dealing with and standing up to a former VSP admin & his minions, as well as discovering the Vanilla TF2 subcommunity & the people who once populated the forum chat, comes to me now: a hardened TF2 player looking for competition & once-in-a-while play around with other games with the remaining admins and mods (with some former), even if it comes to go on a pub-stomp session.  Little did I also know: after 13 years of last being involved with it, and 16 years after playing it: I re-joined the Pokemon world thanks to this community & members who inspired me to pick the franchise back up.

(p.s. watch X/Y: from after doing research, it's a hell of a lot better than Best Wishes)

I'm freaking stupid. But is that map for still up?

For me, everything started with a SFM video about TF2 with ponies on it.
After that I've found another Crossover, but this time was an Ace attorney one.
Than this Hale' server arrived

For me it started one day when i was bored.. I was watching funny videos when i came across a YTP series by the name of "Irregular Show"(a joke on Regular Show).I watched all of them but i think in the last 2 they had showed Twilight in it..i scrolled down to the comments and noticed the word Brony was in there..This peeked my interest and i looked up what Brony meant...After i learned what a brony was i decided to give My Little Pony a shot because for some reason it sounded interesting to me after i learned about bronies and saw Twilight in that YTP for the first time..After nervously trying to watch an episode and skimming through pics i finally got the nerve to fully watch one and that episode was Hurricane Fluttershy and i was immediatly hooked into it then the fandom.This all happend at the end of 2012 and the start of 2013.I would post the video but i would probably get banned for doing so.A few months into being a brony and enjoying the fandom i came across this site and when i joined the chat room they wouldn't stop talking about TF2 which they urged me to play since it was so fun. At first though i never really played it but a few days later i found PoniPoniPoni and about a month or 2 afterwards i discovered these servers and haven't stopped playing them since even tho i did occasionally play P3.

I saw the Page for MLP FIM on KnowYourMeme, and i watched a few episodes and I liked it.

So I watched up to the last episode at the time.(the end of season 2).

I sadly stopped watching after toomanypinkies.