Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koekelbag

How did you join the herd?

29 posts in this topic

Many moons ago, when I had slightly more free time and lower standards for humor, I frequented the Cheezburger network, particularly Memebase, when most new memes actually amused me.  I was going about, business as usual, when suddenly, something quite peculiar happened:  a captioned picture with...was that Pinkie Pie from My Little Pony?  No, the art style was too pleasant.  I shrugged it off as a one-off and went on.  But they didn't stop appearing.  Eventually a new branch of the network (My Little Brony) was dedicated to their posting--and they had begun to amuse me.  I discussed these posts with my stepsister for a while, and eventually, we came to only one possible logical conclusion:  it was time to sit down and see what these ponies were all about.

We found the HUB, and caught it on the air once.  My very first episode was "Feeling Pinkie Keen" (This being about the time between Season 1 and Season 2), and I was surprised to find myself having a nice time--watching a childish, but well-made show, and cracking jokes with my stepsister.  It became a regular thing for us to record FiM and watch it together (And, for a time, Jem and the Holograms, which aired directly after).  Eventually I began to watch it on my own time.

So that's how I met My Little Pony, and experienced the magic of friendship firsthand as I came to meet many new people.  Now here I am, sitting on a small stack of fan characters for the show, and talking to you about it.  Man, am I glad to be here.

Yay, storiessss.

Back in the Summer of 2012, was spending the night at a friend's house when his brother brought up the show for some reason. I only faintly knew what it was, had another friend who watched it, but had no idea there was a big fandom surrounding it. We of course made fun of his brother for liking it, was even funnier because he was actually the OLDER brother. but he pressured us to watch it. For whatever stupid reason, we eventually agreed to watch the show. At first, I was just going to watch it, then continue to poke fun at people to watch it after I saw how dumb it was. After we started though, I had a small thought in the back of my head, I knew I was going to like it ;~;. Finished the first 2 episodes, and we both seemed to have enjoyed it. We ended up watching 3 or 4 more episodes that night, and maybe even more in the morning.

What probably kept me in the fandom were the >memes. Even though I completely hate it now, Memebase with My Little Brony, or whatever it was, is probably what got me into the fandom so much. Not only did it get me into the show a lot more, its what mostly introduced me to the internet in general. Wasn't a PC gamer then really though, was just a poor little console peasant who played CoD all day.

The same friend later introduced me to TF2, he was never really into the game though, very rarely played. I didn't like it at first, and ended up ignoring it for a few months. Theeeeeeen, the OTHER friend I mentioned that was already into the show also used to played TF2 a bit. He ended up showing me to the server around December 2012 or so and I was hooked on it.

Funny enough though, the friend #1's brother who introduced us to the show actually hates it now, and makes fun of it, and the friend hardly cares about it anymore. The friend #2 doesn't really care about it anymore either. #1 one doesn't play tf2 anymore(never really did to begin with), friend #2 recently started playing again(not vsp though).

So ye :3

3 people like this

Well before i became very active on steam i was part of a small german videogames community, where among others MLP was found by some other members, who often mentioned it and watched steams about it. Since so many liked i just began disliking at and not even giving it a change, yea i was THAT kind of person. :c

Though over time i began to get interested in it but still not really wanting to give into trying when i saw the first part of Turnabout Storm pop up in my youtube, being a huge Phoenix Wright Fan who gives anything to find new good Attorney stuff to play/watch i wanted to see what its about. Only 3 parts were released at that moment, I watched all of them in one night, getting me interested enough to try the show.
Being very into it ever since. scoota.jpg

2 people like this

Shit when did the show come out...? Well fuck idk I guess I'll wing this shit. Basically how it went down for me, is back way when I was ldk 12 or some shit lmao, there was a buncha rabble about the show on the server I played on, naturally I said to myself, why do I care, and continued about with my buisness. Then a couple weeks later when I finally started playing TF2 after buying it back in like... 2007-2008, I ran across VSH servers, and I accidentally joined this server, needless to say I didn't even care, the server was fun. but it piqued my interest and I slowly started watching fan animations, music... then finally the show itself... Though I haven't kept up since S4 ended.