Hazard Time

Requesting Advice

7 posts in this topic

Alright

So one of the things I have always wanted to do is start a pony ask blog on tumblr.  The only problem is that I have no art skills whatsoever.  However, I have been told by many RP groups that I have participated in that I have a gift for writing, so I've been tossing around the idea of creating a text-based ask blog.

What I'd like is for anyone who is a veteran of tumblr to give me any advice on this matter.  For example, would such an idea work?  If not, what could I do to make it work?

I'm not a veteran of tumblr, but I do read some Fluffle Puff ask blogs. My advice would be to start checking those out. Check the layout, the different styles, and try sending a couple of them a message for advice.

Also, try bribing someone on here with the promise of glory for their art skills. If that doesn't work, use a net.

Have a good topic!

Don't start a ask blog of like ANOTHER Rainbow Dash or something (there are 2 many) do something like Daring Do, The characters from Fallout Equestria, Pipsqueak, ect ect 

Think of questions people might ask you before they even ask you!

And one of the most heavy rule: Be prepared for ANY question!

That's all I have good day

Without revealing too much spoilers, I'm planning on it being about a former royal guard with PTSD stuck in a psychiatric hospital.  I already have a good amount of the back story done, I'm just bouncing the ideas around with some other friends of mine.

The theme will obviously be a bit grimdark.

Edited by Hazard Time

I've done an ask tumblr before.  It was only for a few months, but people respond remarkably well to drawings.  I haven't seen a text-based one so I'm not sure how it would work.  Regardless of thinking you might be bad at art, some people even love half-done drawings.  You could also ask around and see if anyone would want to partner up and help you draw.  Some people might jump at the chance to draw ponies.

Eeeehhh, just make sure that person can actually draw though. I once drew a pony. People thought it was a dog.

Eeeehhh, just make sure that person can actually draw though. I once drew a pony. People thought it was a dog.

Yep, we're on the same level.

I do have a friend who has an art ask blog (Warning for language).  The way I've been thinking of doing it so that she doesn't have too much work is maybe just having one portrait-style picture that sums up the emotion of the entry.  I've seen it done before in another ask blog (Can't remember the name, but it was a ponified-Hannibal Lecter character) where the mod would have a lengthy post with illustrations of the scene scattered at various intervals.

In the meantime, though, I still need to put more thought into my char's back story as one of my other friend told me that he felt there were too many holes.

Edited by Hazard Time
1 person likes this