sarysa

Lets talk about maps

23 posts in this topic

Well this one's a long time coming. Maps have needed help since before I came along. Videogames and I (mostly him) recently tested some old maps and we got pumpkinfarm out of that...but compared to even brand new startup FF2 servers, our map selection is terribly lacking.

So I'd like to publicly discuss two things:

• A change to the map vote order
  • More maps!
MAP ORDER

This one is easy. Map order is currently (extend) followed by a bunch of maps. Extend almost always gets picked. This was great until about 4 or 5 months ago, when opting out of hale was made an option. It used to be that even if a dozen players went on one map, it'd only be one run of the map per person. This is no longer the case...people are getting picked over and over which result in many people leaving. Extend should probably be pushed down to the last option, due to this new trend.

MORE MAPS

Here's a slightly updated version of a maps pack I sent off awhile ago. I've played a lot of FF2 on a lot of servers, and I just grabbed the ones from A to M that didn't obviously belong to other servers, didn't have exploits, and aren't too large, be it surface area or file size.

AtoM.7z

(this updated version has a much more VSH friendly version of the megaman map, and removes a koth map)

What if we tried something like...add a bunch of decent maps and then have admins do testing. I think a decent number of these maps would make the cut, including:

• arena_coldfront_pb4
  • arena_dam-it_b1
  • arena_draft_b2
  • arena_hydrothunder_b4
  • vsh_apg_v2
  • vsh_battle_creek_v2
  • vsh_beach_xsp1b1
  • vsh_cactustemple_v1
  • vsh_cairo_pyramid_v8
  • vsh_chemical_v1
  • vsh_citypeak_v1
  • vsh_cross_b3
  • vsh_dunes_b2
  • vsh_hac_castlecanals_v4_tex
  • vsh_halo_foundation_v1
  • vsh_hydro_pb2
  • vsh_lakeside_pb1
  • vsh_megaman6_b5d

Totally agree with this with both lack of maps and rotation. With extending being at "Number 4" and would extend any maps even including deathruns (in funbox server), it gets boring and people starts leaving. All the maps in the list are good with the exception of "vsh_halo_foundation_v1". The reason why I disagree about the map is because you can easily do a teleport exploit where you stuck the boss when they take the map teleporters.

Edited by ThunderRunner

If we're going to update the map list, we should remove a couple of maps too. Like crevice or barricade.

Might as well add 2fortdesk to it.

2 people like this

• arena_hydrothunder_b4
  • vsh_apg_v2
  • vsh_battle_creek_v2
  • vsh_beach_xsp1b1
  • vsh_cactustemple_v1
  • vsh_cairo_pyramid_v8
  • vsh_citypeak_v1
  • vsh_cross_b3
  • vsh_dunes_b2
  • vsh_halo_foundation_v1
  • vsh_hydro_pb2
  • vsh_lakeside_pb1
  • vsh_megaman6_b5d

Please, let it come true for the ones highlighted in bold.

Also, agreed that extend map should be option 9.

My problem is, why drop maps if we push in enough new ones that those older ones are less seen? Put a longer cooldown on the number of maps to be played before re-nomination can occur, and the problem solves itself.

MORE MAPS

Here's a slightly updated version of a maps pack I sent off awhile ago. I've played a lot of FF2 on a lot of servers, and I just grabbed the ones from A to M that didn't obviously belong to other servers, didn't have exploits, and aren't too large, be it surface area or file size.

AtoM.7z

(this updated version has a much more VSH friendly version of the megaman map, and removes a koth map)

What if we tried something like...add a bunch of decent maps and then have admins do testing. I think a decent number of these maps would make the cut, including:

• arena_coldfront_pb4
  • arena_dam-it_b1
  • arena_draft_b2
  • arena_hydrothunder_b4
  • vsh_apg_v2
  • vsh_battle_creek_v2
  • vsh_beach_xsp1b1
  • vsh_cactustemple_v1
  • vsh_cairo_pyramid_v8
  • vsh_chemical_v1
  • vsh_citypeak_v1
  • vsh_cross_b3
  • vsh_dunes_b2
  • vsh_halo_foundation_v1
  • vsh_hydro_pb2
  • vsh_lakeside_pb1
  • vsh_megaman6_b5d

Should probably also have a .bz2 of each map (bsp files only). This would allow for faster downloads to those who don't have the maps.

Raini has a way to set them up for FastDL. In fact all the models that No Name, myself, and Scootz send Raini aren't configured for FastDL...she does that.

Removing barricade was (sort of) a joke because I saw Skeith was looking at the thread too.

Fix the damn elevators.

1 person likes this

All the maps in the list are good with the exception of "vsh_halo_foundation_v1". The reason why I disagree about the map is because you can easily do a teleport exploit where you stuck the boss when they take the map teleporters.

It's a minor issue, TBH...yes there's the possibility for uber trapping, but these teleporters are rarely taken due to Super Jump being sufficient for getting to the top. Also, the location is very poor for a Princess Twilight situation to occur since it's a slender area thus body blocking will affect hitscan and even projectiles. Guess we'll see in testing.

On other servers, I've never seen it actually used in practice. Aside from what I mentioned, the existence of two teleporters and no way to predict when to pop uber also make this impractical.

Edited by sarysa

How about making certain maps more rare? (2fortdesk, crevice, castesiege, ram_shacked, etc.)

At this point, I've played on said maps so much that they've become more stale than spoiled bread. There is nothing I dislike more in a server than lack of variety, how can one withstand playing in the same (4 or 5?) maps over and over daily and still enjoy it? The majority of players on this server have dull taste in maps when it comes to voting and fit the definition of insanity.

Let the pie chart at the bottom right show you how wonderful the servers map variety is: http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/209.246.143.162:27015/

Don't you love how the other maps aren't played for more than 70% of the time? We're talking 3 pages of maps you can nominate and only picking one or a few non-overplayed DAILY. If you're lucky, the players might vote a different map for once (which is very rare).

The problem really isn't the lack of maps (this server has plenty), it's the lack of variety. While new maps are always nice, Im sick of playing the same ones nearly every single time I join the server.

Edited by King Lofty
3 people like this

How about making certain maps more rare? (2fortdesk, crevice, castesiege, ram_shacked, etc.)

At this point, I've played on said maps so much that they've become more stale than spoiled bread. There is nothing I dislike more in a server than lack of variety, how can one withstand playing in the same (4 or 5?) maps over and over daily and still enjoy it? The majority of players on this server have dull taste in maps when it comes to voting and fit the definition of insanity.

Let the pie chart at the bottom right show you how wonderful the servers map variety is: http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/209.246.143.162:27015/

Don't you love how the other maps aren't played for more than 70% of the time? We're talking 3 pages of maps you can nominate and only picking one or a few non-overplayed DAILY. If you're lucky, the players might vote a different map for once (which is very rare).

The problem really isn't the lack of maps (this server has plenty), it's the lack of variety. While new maps are always nice, Im sick of playing the same ones nearly every single time I join the server.

The issue is that our most common players nominate these maps because thats where they're familiar with playing and have played for thousands of hours. I dont mind new maps, but if I was shooting for maximum points I would be in a map I've spent a great deal of time with that I can use to my advantage, such as Crevice. There needs to be some sort of change to how maps are voted/chosen if new ones are going to see light.

Set a mapcycle, if people don't want a specific map they'll have to rtv. If rtv passes, then it's more than clear that people don't want to play on that map.

2 people like this

Set a mapcycle, if people don't want a specific map they'll have to rtv. If rtv passes, then it's more than clear that people don't want to play on that map.

Also perhaps reduce the amount of players necessary for an RTV, as they are very rare to pass currently.

2 people like this

And how long have I've been saying this?

I would agree with No Name, we got alot of maps, but only a few are played... Sometimes its even at the point where you can play the entire day on 20% of the maps... I would suggest as No Name to make a mapcycle or perhaps make map cooldowns larger. (For example you have to wait 8 maps before you can nominate said map again.)

2 people like this

I would agree with No Name, we got alot of maps, but only a few are played... Sometimes its even at the point where you can play the entire day on 20% of the maps... I would suggest as No Name to make a mapcycle or perhaps make map cooldowns larger. (For example you have to wait 8 maps before you can nominate said map again.)

I'm with this as well.

I'd love to see maps like 2fortdesk/crevice/oilrig get an 8-hour cooldown cycle before it gets brought up again by random mapvote selection.

I've said this before and I will say this again: VARIETY needs to be put into ALL servers.

Err, 8 hours is a bit much. :P

A more random random selection would be nice, though. Can't stop people from nominating, though...but sometimes it seems like the RNG is rigged. (though I've never bothered to look at the mapcycle code, so don't trust my judgement)

Edited by sarysa

Since General Scootz Made a thread about removing some maps.

I am just going to post my suggestion of maps, that I have played before, or look interesting.

Maybe some will stick, maybe no one will like any.

koth_lego_town

http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/180326

The only thing I have to worry about this map is it's small.

koth_rats_office_b1_2

http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/117112

Despite this also being a King of the hill map, it worked well in Freak Fortress servers.(The only real different was hales could cap in the one I am thinking of, but used a maps like  crevice the same way.) Aside from that I love this map. My favorite Rats Map. 

vsh_remains_of_king_b1

http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/183522

This one looks pretty cool, sets a nice mood for fighting Daring Do.

If I happen to come across anymore from Playing freak fortress, or on my own.

I will update my suggestion list here with any map I think would work well.

Way ahead of you, posted this some time ago:

http://forum.ponyville.net/topic/7323-maps-part-3-maps-n-to-z-and-some-a-to-ms-i-missed/

Also, koth maps are off limits since VSP doesn't use the Stripper:Source mod necessary to use KOTH maps. The decision to do so would greatly limit what the funbox could have, it's not one that can be taken lightly.

I was thinking and I came up with something. Often when Skeith is on the server he'll take us to interesting maps. Though without an admin there I don't think it would be fun due to exploiters, hiders, ect.  So where am i going with this? Admin maps!

There large quantities of maps that poeple would love to play on but due to exploits and confusing map designs their usually forbidden from map rotation. With Admin maps the admin can simply put up a vote or place the map of choice in the map vote, but only when their on the server. this way we can play maps like Kakariko, and that couch map Skeith took us to once. That was fun. I'd just like to see this happen more. Maybe give it mods too or something, but only make the map change after the 30 mins.