Rainy

[Versus Ponyville] Boss Suggestions (Mechanics, Music, Etc.)

1917 posts in this topic

I never realized Mega Pony had ever gone beyond a ROM hack of Mega Man 2. Looks like it's a custom made clone of Mega Man 9 now. Neat.

I know of a certain admin who's a huge fan of the Mega Man series (particularly Zero) and as for me, I have no objections to a boss like this. I will say one thing though...a ranged-only boss will be incredibly hard to balance. DISC-FF has a Dalek hale for example which frankly is a mess. It's very slow, uses super jump, fires projectiles, but gets walled by buildings. It either wins with a huge margin or gets slowly chipped away by punk engineers wielding the Rescue Ranger.

When you say you've designed VSH clones, does that include code? If you're not familiar with sourcemod but you have generic coding knowledge, it's actually not very hard to get used to. It uses typical java/C++ like syntax and they're even going OOP (finally!) with SM 1.7.X.

One nifty thing you could do is instead of a clip size of 3, make it so no more than 3 projectiles are on the map at once. ;) It's totally doable. I could also distance limit projectiles that require it pretty easily. (I've never played 3D megaman games but 2d games limited it to the screen, which you could interpret as maybe 500 hammer units)

And all this relates to the show..... how?

Honestly, the show only has so many ideas. From January through May 2014, one hale was released...an OC based on Luna. From June 2014 to today, there are these new pure canon characters:

- Braeburn

- Cheese Sandwich

- Maud Pie

- Daring Do

- Flutterbat

A few rehashes:

- Twily + Shiny

- Tia + Lulu

- Princess Twilight

One comic character:

- Nightmarity

Two canon characters with non-canon interpretations:

- Pip Squeak

- Doctor Whooves

The weird little hybrid of canon elements:

- Sea Pony

A whole bunch of OCs:

- Dovashy

- Snowdrop

- Thi Billett

- Sweetie Bot

- Fluffle Puff

- Button Mash (he had 1 second of airtime, close enough to non-canon)

The OCs are becoming more and more important because we're running out of ideas from the canon pool. Starswirl the Bearded is an obvious pick but that's been claimed by Surprise Pie. Scootz and No Name intend to do Sunset Shimmer and have made models for the sirens, albeit non-canon models. Tirek is on my list of things I want to work on in some capacity before I die. No one likes Sombra. (or Flash Sentry :P ) I dunno who's doing mature spike anymore.

edit: I guess Zecora's up for grabs...her voodoo makes for good rage material.

edit2: Flim Flam is in limbo...heh.

After those, we'll have exhausted all the characters that are decent rage material. The OC criteria (excluding Stallione and Thi) has always been "is very popular". I think Mega Pony just barely makes the cut in that regard. (gets bonus points due to being good rage material)

Edited by sarysa
2 people like this

I am working on something that you guys will love if you are looking for megacolt

I guess I was too slow to the punch in that regard, then. Ah, well; having Mega Pony in and of itself will be nice even if it doesn't have any of the elements I suggested.

This idea has quite a bit of effort put into it I can see, and i really like the idea of forcing the hale to use its secondary ability (teleport) in order to gain new abilities. Plus megaman is pretty awesome in itself. I think the hardest part of all of this though, would be making the armor on the model look convincing.

Perhaps something like this? From seeing a few things from scootz and no names projects, its a bit similiar.

- - Rolling Cutter - -

I appreciate the kind words!  However, the armor design you have there is for Mega Man Volnutt, who is the protagonist of Legends, whereas Mega Pony is strictly based on Mega Man Classic (Hence its 8-bit art style and chiptune music). The armor in question in its original form looks more like this.

A couple details could be added here and there, maybe give him eyes like Sweetie Bot's, but overall, his design doesn't have to be very intricate—Mega Man does, after all, thrive on its simplicity.

When you say you've designed VSH clones, does that include code? If you're not familiar with sourcemod but you have generic coding knowledge, it's actually not very hard to get used to. It uses typical java/C++ like syntax and they're even going OOP (finally!) with SM 1.7.X.

One nifty thing you could do is instead of a clip size of 3, make it so no more than 3 projectiles are on the map at once. ;) It's totally doable. I could also distance limit projectiles that require it pretty easily. (I've never played 3D megaman games but 2d games limited it to the screen, which you could interpret as maybe 500 hammer units)

I have a rudimentary coding knowledge (Taking an AP computer programming class right now), but I've never actually done coding work on a game before (Case in point:  I have no idea what a hammer unit is).  What I did (Aside from suggestions like this one) was mostly balance testing and graphical work.  Unfortunately, my experience doesn't carry over 1:1, because that work was done in a projectile-oriented DooM mod environment—meaning the graphics were 2D sprites instead of 3D models, and the majority of weapons in Team Fortress 2 are hitscan as opposed to projectiles.

Is that so? I had no idea. I think that could be a good idea, depending on how strong the Friendship Buster winds up being, but it would also decrease the boss's ease of use (Though that would in turn make usage of the special weapons that much more important).  It's an idea that's worth toying around with, but I'm in no position to make a call about it one way or the other.

I am working on something that you guys will love if you are looking for megacolt

I guess I was too slow to the punch in that regard, then. Ah, well; having Mega Pony in and of itself will be nice even if it doesn't have any of the elements I suggested.

Actually, you weren't slow to the punch at all. I know what Scootz is talking about but it 100% has nothing to do with Mega Pony and its design greatly differs from yours...so it can still be your baby.

Oh, and if I end up coding the thing, this song will be mandatory:

Brings back so many childhood memories. I'd actually stall in those levels just to listen to that chilling theme over and over.

Edited by sarysa

I have a rudimentary coding knowledge (Taking an AP computer programming class right now), but I've never actually done coding work on a game before (Case in point:  I have no idea what a hammer unit is).  What I did (Aside from suggestions like this one) was mostly balance testing and graphical work.  Unfortunately, my experience doesn't carry over 1:1, because that work was done in a projectile-oriented DooM mod environment—meaning the graphics were 2D sprites instead of 3D models, and the majority of weapons in Team Fortress 2 are hitscan as opposed to projectiles.

Is that so? I had no idea. I think that could be a good idea, depending on how strong the Friendship Buster winds up being, but it would also decrease the boss's ease of use (Though that would in turn make usage of the special weapons that much more important).  It's an idea that's worth toying around with, but I'm in no position to make a call about it one way or the other.

500 units is decently far...it's a little under half of the max distance that a sentry could hit you from. It'd definitely keep him as a ranged boss without making him overpowered. Naturally I'm concerned about veering too much toward Samus territory as well...since Friagram's already done that, but also because the long distance sniping with that boss can be a bit of a problem as far as stalling is concerned. (Thi's infinity pistol is already a minor source of stalling, but most people figure out quickly how ineffective pistol sniping is) Range limits would definitely go a long way in balancing the hale.

Naturally rage weapons could have longer range, and there's always the possibility of the mega buster. (which really delves into Samus territory again, ugh :P )

Edited by sarysa

Megaman? Alright, I'm in.

The classic armor is much easier to do. That legends armor would pretty much require a new base model and riging to make it look good.

I'm thinking about adding chest armor, Megaman X style, or it will look a bit too empty and simple.

Edit: And actually, the project scootz mentioned isn't the one you're thinking sarysa, it has a bit to do with megaman, but I don't see a problem having both of them on ponyville. Also, it's much different from Chaos' idea.

Edit 2: I think I'm obsessed with transformation bosses, I was thinking about having him have his helmet on/off, like this or this.

Edit 3: Finished. I mean, a base of what's going to be. About those things on sides of megaman's helmet, they're supposedly his ears, right? If that's so, then it would fit better having his pony ears on that style. Also, I'm not really liking his hoof cannon, it would require custom animations in order to look good.

Edited by No Name
1 person likes this

I guess I'd better post these for visual reference—since, as far as I can tell, the game has no concept art, the big pixel art there is the most detailed reference of him.

...Actually, it may even be worth talking to Khao himself about the prospect, as he's apparently made a quadrupedal model of Mega Pony already.  Not sure how much it would help when it comes to the biped, but I imagine it's worth something.

Yes, they're quite helpful. Horn coming out of the helmet going through that first thing, ok. Buster shot cuttie mark, gotta work a bit on the hooves, maybe remove the hoof cannon and make the eyes a lighter shade of blue.

My only complaint is it looks too female. I know sculpting isn't your thing but making that mouth male without adding vertices would be good practice.

(though since mega man and roll are both the same size, you shouldn't need to elongate his body)

Edited by sarysa

My only complaint is it looks too female. I know sculpting isn't your thing but making that mouth male without adding vertices would be good practice.

(though since mega man and roll are both the same size, you shouldn't need to elongate his body)

This is the kind of stuff that makes me love coming here. 4 months or so ago, a boss like this probably would have gotten a big 'if' stamp on it, and been lost for a long time. Now it has evolved so much that individuals have enough skill to test out ideas and create unique beauty. It's off topic, I know, but this is the kind of developmental beauty I've been dreaming of seeing.

On topic: Also if we're going to go with the original idea, he'd need a horn, though I don't know if it would work out to use it as an attack or not. Perhaps it could be that the rage, if it is a projectile of sorts, charges in the horn and then emits it like how Sweetie bot does. It would be interesting to see if its possible to apply a glow effect to the horn itself that increases in intensity during the chargeup, too.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me love coming here. 4 months or so ago, a boss like this probably would have gotten a big 'if' stamp on it, and been lost for a long time. Now it has evolved so much that individuals have enough skill to test out ideas and create unique beauty. It's off topic, I know, but this is the kind of developmental beauty I've been dreaming of seeing.

On topic: Also if we're going to go with the original idea, he'd need a horn, though I don't know if it would work out to use it as an attack or not. Perhaps it could be that the rage, if it is a projectile of sorts, charges in the horn and then emits it like how Sweetie bot does. It would be interesting to see if its possible to apply a glow effect to the horn itself that increases in intensity during the chargeup, too.

I've always loved the idea of having Megaman X characters for bosses. see my profile pic

Better? I also removed the hoof cannon. It doesn't make sense having it nad carring a rocket launcher around

http://i.imgur.com/jkbnGNF.jpg

I started with a female head just because...well, megaman doesn't have exactly a manly face. Zero actually does

Edit: I'll add the horn later, since it involves editing the helmet.

--

Edit 2: Added a horn, added a tail, extended a bit of the chest armor and modeled new boots, and integrated the ears to the helmet that thing is gonna look awesome with red self illumination.

Currently there are a few verts on the chest clipping through the armor, I'll remove them later, but first I need some feedback about having chest armor vs not having chest armor

Csj7FPq.jpg

Another thing that could work would be removing the pelvis armor, but then, again, it will look too empty.

Edit 3: Disowned suggested having attatchement points on megapony's jet boots, so we could have a particle effect on them when he jumps.

Edited by No Name

Well, can't edit my post anymore.

Another thing I'm not exactly liking is the size of his boots, I feel like it could be bigger and look more like a reploid's legs, right now they look just like regular boots with jets attatched to them.

And here, a picture of him with self illumination on the ears (red)  and eyes (blue), they'll be more visible on the dark. It's a small detail, but it's something.

BXg69XO.jpg

Today on the servers I heard someone suggesting that pinkamena get a cleaver instead of a cupcake launcher (you know, that sounds more like a weapon pinkie pie would use). It's a soldier model with a scout weapon, idk how derped the animations could be.

Just posting this here, because I doubt the one who suggested this uses the forums.

Instead of Rainbow Dash's tail, I'd recommend using Woona's. The creator (including in the 3d model) just gave him a straightforward curved tail that flattened out, looks like...well...a joint. lol (well a cartoon joint anyway)

Edited by sarysa

This has probably been suggested somewhere but as I don't feel like reading through 63 pages of posts well here it goes:

Boss Name: Littlepip

Origin: Fallout Equestria

Race: Unicorn

Rage: Heroine of the Wastelands

What it does: She whips out her very loud revolver dubbed Lil'Macintosh with 6 shots in the chamber and some damage resistance while stunning sentries.

Damage: As it is a very loud revolver and is her like staple gun throughout the story it is extremely powerful so I'd think around 150 damage per shot if not just flat out killing every class it hit. It would also stay in her load-out until the bullets ran out and she raged again.

Resistances: I'd just say like a 25-40% damage reduction based on how many are alive on the red team and it only lasts about 4 or 5 seconds, maybe 6 or 7 tops.

Sentry Stun: It should also stun the sentries for about 3 or 4 seconds leaving them open for destruction.

Second rage: Pip-buck Radar.

Effect- The pipbuck on her right foreleg lights up, marking everybody on the map for 10 seconds except cloaked spies or classes under the invisibility spell effect.

Alternate secondary rage: Stealth buck.

Effect- Triggers an invisible effect on her for about 10 seconds, or until she attacks.

Now she sounds a bit overpowered but I also thought of ways to balance her out so she isn't broken in the slightest and I'll list them off down here.

Firstly to bring down the overpowered revolver a notch or two it could be made to have a 50% damage reduction on buildings and the further the target is the less damage it does. For an example say she shot a scout on crevice gaping about from the outside of the red spawn building to the outside of the blu spawn building it wouldn't even kill the scout dealing about 45-60 damage opposed to the 150 or the insta-kill. Thusly making her range better suited for closer distances and taking out players instead of buildings.

A second way to knock it down a few notches would be that if everytime she shot the revolver she was marked for everyone for a few seconds to see, making her easier to group up on. An example there would be, say it was in the minecraft town map and she shot somebody in one of the caves, it would mark her for, say a demo outside to plant a sticky trap or to aim at the exit she was approaching with a loch and load ready to hit her for a good 350 damage, or 1000+ with a sticky trap.

Now about the pony herself if she was indeed chosen for adding in would be a spy base of course, for the revolver to function properly. She's a grey unicorn mare with brown hair and green eyes. She wears a blue zipped up jacket, something on her right foreleg called a pip-buck and her cutie mark is also a pip-buck.

Now for the gun itself I would suggest a Diamondback for the loud factor or an Enforcer/ L'etranger for a closer look to the actual Lil'Macintosh. If possible increasing the gunshot sound's volume a bit to really give it the loud bang the gun is known for.

Now I don't know how links work here but if this doesn't activate a link copy and paste this into the url bar to see how she looks, the link is safe dont worry:

I know people would actually like to see this hale as she is a rather well known and liked OC and as I have shown, is actually really easy to balance out making her get less complaints about being OP and such and isn't very hard to design, well aside from the actual Pip-buck but that is easily removed too. 
1 person likes this

She already has a model, and scootz already has some rage ideas I guess, his plans are to have her in a duo with Velvet, and make them only be strong when they are together, unlike our usual duo bosses where they can split up and still do well.

Idk exactly his plans for Lilpip, but I know Velvet is going to be more of a support character. But keep your post there, it could be helpful for him, maybe better than his original plans.

Here, their models

Edited by No Name
1 person likes this

W...wow you think my ideas for Littlepip might be better then the original plans...for some reason that makes me feel honored

I was discussing with scootz, have lilpip use her gun isn't a bad idea, then I thought: What if I could make her have her gun out like she was using magic to keep it floating (instead of just have it standing still in front of her)? Then I thought: Jigglebones! And made this. This could look pretty awesome with some attatchement points and some particles, I'm just not sure how particles would interact with jigglebones, never tryed it.

And here's the results

1 person likes this

Wow, what started out as me suggesting a boss that was in the making ends in me actually giving a decent idea. Well if somehow I helped uhhh your welcome?

Dragonforce...cool. ;P

Also, Pip and Velvet have been around for months now. Given the overflow of bosses lately it'll be awhile before they need the coding work done...heh.

Oh I know I mean my idea of getting her to use the gun was, as you said, a good idea and now it seems like its gonna be like a thing for the Littlepip boss. Heh...funny thing is one of my friends told me I should try going into boss designing for most of the Fallout Equestria characters since they aren't too hard to make work as a solo or duo boss. Heck maybe a 6 pony boss, at least for the original 6 FoE characters